PDA

View Full Version : Share Your Favorite Recipes

SerpentineZebra
June 16th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Okay, so I have been thinking about this for a while, and I thought, "Wouldn't it be fun to have a Werelist recipe-sharing thread?". I considered it a while ago, but couldn't remember the recipe I wanted to post. Well, now I have it with me and can put it up accurately.

Before I get to that, I would like to ask people to post their favorite recipes here :D you are free to put up as many as you would like! Suppose we exchange and try each other's recipes, remark on how we like them (take pictures if you'd like!) and get this going as a regular activity? I think that would be interesting, and if it proves popular, we can start a group for it! What do you think? :D

Anyway, the recipe I'm posting is from a favorite grilling cook book ("Weber's Big Book of Grilling" by Jamie Purviance & Sandra S. McRae), it's for Italian Chicken Kebabs, and it's a huge hit with my family. I'm going to add some foot notes on what I've found works.

Marinade:
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp. white wine (we use chicken broth)
2 tbsp. fresh thyme (or 2 tsp. dried)
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. kosher salt (we just use regular Morton's salt though)
1 tsp. black pepper

2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 small zucchini
1 green bell pepper
20 large cherry tomatoes

To make the marinade, mix the ingredients together in a small bowl.

Cut the chicken into 1-inch chunks, the zucchini in 1/2 inch coins, and the pepper into 1-inch chunks. Place the chicken, vegetables, and marinade together in a large bag; press the air out, seal tightly. Turn the bag so to distribute the marinade, place in a bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 2 hours [we usually marinate it overnight] turning occasionally.

Remove the chicken and vegetables, discard the marinade. Thread the chicken and vegetables on skewers, and grill on Direct Medium heat for 8-10 minutes [I let it go a bit longer, maybe 12 minutes], or until chicken is firm and juices run clear. Turn halfway through grilling time. Serve warm.

*I recommend serving this with rice. It usually tastes even better the next day, so it makes great leftovers, too.

**If you can afford it, Penzey's has an Italian Herb Mix that I'm trying a bit of mixed in the marinade.

Enjoy!

WolfVanZandt
June 16th, 2009, 11:49 PM
I have two. For the more ambitious Fajita Stir Fry, I refer you to my website which has a lot of my favorite recipes. The quick and easy - can be made in just about any situation including Howls and be modified endlessly Sauerkraut Stew proceeds as follows.

Chop up and saute and onion in a pot. Pour in two cans of stewed tomatoes, a stewed tomato can full of water, a can of corned beef, a can (or better, half a jar) of sauerkraut, and a capful of Ms. Dash. Cook for, oh.........a quarter hour to an hour - however long you have. It's ready.

I once planned to make it on a Howl but I knew that some of the folks hated sauerkraut so I meant to get some frozen French fries to dump in but I forgot and, in a frenzy, drove up to the Cheaha Country Store to try to find a reasonable substitute. Macaroni worked just fine.

Psychonomaly
June 17th, 2009, 12:40 AM
Okay, throw together some pancake mix and some milk and eggs and orange juice and some more milk and salt and cinnamon and then some butter and various herbs and whatever else you might have laying around that looks good, then add some green food colouring and scoop it all into a biscuit tin and bake until it looks like it's done. I call them booger cakes and they're relatively bland, but fun to make. You might try using flour in lieu of pancake mix, but I didn't have any when I invented them.

Agita
June 17th, 2009, 06:12 AM
I just LUFF to bake! (I be a Loli, 'tis what we do!)

I never weigh anything, or even sift flour. Too lazy, but It always comes out good anyway! I always get rid of the little white bits in the egg with a fork, because as far as I know that's the bit that could have been a chicken-babeh...

So I gets 2 cup of self-raising flour (you can use a metal cup measurement, about 225ml) or use half a teaspoon of baking powder in plain flour.
3 quarters of a cup of SHUGAH!!
3 quarters of a cup of Milsch (Milk)

Stir in 75 grams of melted/softened butter or margarine (about 5cm length slab along the width of your tub)

For a banana cake, mash 1 or two bananas 'til nearly liquid and stir in. You'll only need one egg.

For a SCHOKOLADE cake, mmn yummers... You'll need 2 eggs for all that chocolate. Chocolate powder works but tastes a bt fake. For best resuls, use a mix of real chocolate and powder, because it's not very wallet-friendly to use all real chocolate. ^^

Throw in a 7 inch cake tin (errm sometimes I have some left over, so grease another tin in case. Or you can fry the batter like pancake mix! It'll keep in the fridge.)
and put in teh middle of teh oven at 185 degrees centigrade for about 25 minutes, a bit less for a fan assisted oven. Mine is electric so it may also take a little longer than a gas one.

A seven inch tin recipe will also do a dozen-cupcake tray comfortably.

HAVE FUN!

SerpentineZebra
June 27th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Oatmeal Drop Cookies (these things go like wildfire)
*Contains milk, peanuts

2 cups sugar
3 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 cup milk
1 stick margarine
1 cup peanut butter
2 cups dry oatmeal

Combine sugar, cocoa, milk, margarine in a saucepan
Cook on medium heat, bring to a boil for one minute.
Turn off heat, leave pan in warm place
Stir in peanut butter and oatmeal
Quickly drop by spoonful onto wax paper or foil.

ENJOY! :D

BroodFox
June 27th, 2009, 03:37 PM
My favourite recipie is food:

Anything in fridge + SHUUUGARRRR!!!

*drools*

...I'm so not going to survive living on my own. All you people sound like such accomplished bakers compared to my petty microwaving skillz. XP

CroweBasalt
June 28th, 2009, 11:07 AM
i cook all the time. i love to cook. anything from vegan food to a carnivore's feast, i can do it. :)

today, though, i'm keeping it simple and making a huge pot of beans, because i'm broke this week and a big pot of beans can feed you for a few days. this is my favorite recipe, which is easily doubled, tripled, whatever.

ingredients:
2 cups of dried pinto beans
1/4 tablespoons of minced garlic
1 cup diced onion
1/4 cup of jalapeno juice- i always have a huge jar of jalapenos in the fridge!
1/4 pound of salt pork- this is normally by the bacon at the grocery store.
salt

1. sort your beans, making sure there's no rocks in there (and yes you'll find them in bags of dried beans! it's funny.)
2. then you'll want to soak your beans overnight. alternatively, you can just bring the beans to a boil, then remove from heat and cover for an hour.
3. drain the beans and cover with seven cups of fresh water.
4. add the garlic, onion, jalapeno juice and salt pork.
5. bring the whole mess to a boil and then cover and reduce heat to a simmer.
6. then you be very patient. it will usually take three or more hours for the beans to cook to the proper tenderness, so check on them every-so-often, stir well, and salt to taste. depending on how salty the salt pork was, you might not need a whole lot of it. ha ha.
7. when the beans are the right tenderness, remove salt pork and serve.

these are delicious with a big hunk of cornbread! i've made homemade cornbread many times, but honestly i think the best cornbread comes out of a box, that cheap stuff made by Jiffy. ha. chop up some of those jalapenos and toss them in the batter, and you're set for a yummy yummy dinner.

aurumlupus
June 29th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Not as much a er recipe, but a firm favourite of mine is a
FISH FINGER SANDWICH *hummmmm, general drooling*
Eat them allllll day :)

WolfVanZandt
July 9th, 2009, 11:54 PM
I've added my first Albania meal to the International Wok page of my website and I was really please at how the Chicken with Walnuts and the Americanized Baklava turned out. Both are easy, so you might want to check them out. I'm going to try a corn chowder this weekend (a vegetarian dish, if you're interested) and it should be up next week sometime.

JPR
July 10th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Most of the recipes that I know are simple things that make good food alittle better. For example adding garlic powder or garlic salt to a burger before cooking it, makes it taste great!

Heres one thats very simple and fun to make!
Funnel cakes, all you need is
1 egg
2/3 cup milk
2 tbsp. sugar
1 1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
Just put enough oil in a skillet to where you can submerge the batter, and set it to about medium to high heat. Mix the egg and milk in one bowl and the dry stuff in another, then slowly mix the wet and dry together. Most people use an actual funnel to add the batter to the oil but I just use a large spoon and drizzle it in. Let it cook till its crispy on the outside, put on some powdered sugar and enjoy! A quick and cheap snack

Ive also got a great dry rib rub recipe somewhere but I will have to find it.

DaxterD
July 10th, 2009, 08:30 AM
I have a classic light and healthy one for you which satisfies meat lovers and vegetarians (as long as you remove the bacon!) alike ^^

Family Pasta Bake (serves 4)
200g pasta (75g per person)
200g bacon rashers
1.5ml semi-skimmed milk
1 tin of CONDENSED chicken soup
50g peas
100g grated cheese (any type)
Dashes of salt and pepper.

1) Cover the pasta with cold water and boil it on a hob for about 12 minutes on medium heat or 5 minutes after boiling.
2) Cover peas with 2 large spoons of cold water then microwave for 2 mins 30 secs
3) Cut bacon into 'diced' pieces with cooking scissors and remove the rind fat. Add this to a second hob pan WITHOUT A LID on low heat. The pan and bacon should turn brown after about 5-10 minutes. Stir occasionally when it sizzles.
4) Sieve water out of the peas and tip into a serving dish/bowl
5) Mix the soup and milk and stir. It's alright if it's a little lumpy mind.
6) Drain the finished pasta and add to serving dish followed by the bacon. Quickly soak the bacon pan!
7) Stir serving dish contents and add the soup/milk mixture. Stir again adding salt and pepper and grated cheese.
8) (FAN OVEN BASIS) Set oven for 160 degrees centigrade or Gas Mark 6. Place on the centre row for 15 minutes until the cheese melts and it is slightly browned.

Phew... ^^

Psychonomaly
July 10th, 2009, 08:53 AM
9) Add Kikkoman. :p

ChildOfDarkness
July 10th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Me and my brother have a good one SOB stew we just throw what ever we have in a pan and leave to boil.
Most of what goes in it.

Meat any type you have laying around (Pork, Bacon, mince, lamb you name it it works)
Potato's
Veggies any type
and what ever elsa you wish.Just leave it to cook till you can hardly tell whats in it.

Shepherd pie with a twist try grating cheese on to the top of it it taste's wonderful.

Past with grated cheese and ham sprinkled threw it then bunging in microwave to melt the cheese and warm the ham.

I have tons of stuff we cook but there the taste's.

Agita
July 10th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I don't like recipes where you need lots of ingredients just to put on something- or use pre-prepared items. I like to feel like I've used lots of 'raw materials' to actually construct something. It makes me feel like I've achieve something or gotten somewhere. DEATH TO READY-ROLL PASTRY AND ICING! DAMN THAT BIRD'S EYE FISH-IN-A-BAG! So tasty but so lazy and sinful....

As you can see, cooking/baking is a deeply emotional/psychological/spiritual thing for me...

OMG I REALLY WANT A HELLO KITTY APRON!

Ashen
July 10th, 2009, 08:40 PM
Great Garlic Bread balls

Rhodes Frozen Bread Loaf (one loaf, comes in package of three) Let thaw and rise, cut into 18 pieces rolled up in little balls, dip in mixture place in 9 by 9 baking dish

1 egg
2 tablespoons butter
1 tsp parsley
2 tsp garlic

drissle rest of mixture over top of garlic balls add cheese and more garlic to top if desired. Let double in size then bake on 375 for 30, will burn quick so after about 20 min check often. Should be golden brown when done.

Kyte
August 2nd, 2009, 09:01 PM
I have way to many. Candies, cakes, soups, meat...I'll add them I think about them

My mates favorite food: Potato and leek soup.

Prep Time: 15 Mins
Cook Time 30 mins

Ingredients:
2 or 3 large leeks
1lb to 1 1/2 lbs potatoes
6 cups chicken broth
sour cream
heavy whipping cream

Peel and cut up the potatoes and split and soak the leeks in water so that the sand can be cleaned from them

Bring the chicken stock to boil in a large pot. When it is boiling add potatoes and cook about 12 mins or until soft. Add leeks to the pot and cook another 5 mins.

Either use an emulsion blender or a big blender and mix up the soup so there are no lumps and its smooth. Add heavy whipping cream. Spoon into bowls and add a little sour cream. Enjoy!

Kyte
August 2nd, 2009, 09:04 PM
I love to cook. If you ever need a good cookie recipe let me know. I have to find my book so I can post more recipes. *shuffles*

WolfVanZandt
September 13th, 2009, 02:16 PM
I've made it through Algeria in the International Wok section of my website. If you're a cook, you night want to try out the Cream of Wheat Pudding. It's really good and, if you aren't familiar with cardamom, this is a good first recipe to use it.

I'm finding that, of each nationality, there's always one recipe that really hits me just right. My favorites to date are the Afghan bread pudding, Alabama blackberry cobbler, Albanian Notklava, Alaskan firecracker salmon, and the Algerian cream of wheat pudding. American Samoa ought to be interesting.

Fievrouge
September 13th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Oooo... I thoroughly enjoy cooking, however most of my personal recipes seem to be baked goods. I'm working on collecting specialty recipes from family and friends so this ought to be a fun project! I'll have to do some digging to pull up my favorites so I'll post again later.

In the mean time, here is a super easy soup recipe that is ace for anyone on a budget but can't stand ramen noodles -

1 zucchini
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 bell pepper (color is your preference)
1 good sized white onion
1 package of italian sausage, precooked (can easily be ommitted for vegetarians)
1/2 a can of chicken stock if you want more broth

add to taste any or all of the following -
salt, pepper, oregano, basil, bay leaf, paprika, garlic.

Throw the whole thing together and just let it cook until all the juices from the tomatoes let out. What you end up with is a very thick, meaty, soup/stew that lasts a couple of days and was relatively cheap to make :D Of course you can also try adding other things to it, it would probably be good with other meats, maybe some clams, pasta perhaps, etc. Be adventurous, it's hard to screw this one up.

Oblivian
September 13th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Oblivians' minipizza!

You need: pizza-dough. Just regular flour, water.. uh.. I think there're eggs and salt in it too, easy to look up.
Minced meat, preferrably beef.
I don't know if you have the brand "Santa Maria" for taco-mix (google didn't tell me anything).. but, one bag of your preferred taco-mix will do fine xD.. and then, Sweet Chilli Sauce.
Uhm.. tomato-sauce for the pizza, if you like. Does just as well with taco-sauce (mild or medium strength) mixed with some tomato purée (just a little of the purée because it tastes a lot, unless you like that).

This is a recipe by the most basic meaning of combining what you have.

Make the dough, or put the pre-made dough/pizzabottom on a baking tin (with that kind of oven-proof paper inbetween, so it doesn't get stuck). Fry the minced meat, add the taco-spice and about.. a spoon-ful or two of sweet chili sauce. While in the fryingpan, yes.
I'm taking for granted you already have the tomato-sauce on the dough, which you should have flattened out to your preferred size ;)
Add the minced meat on top of the dough. I wish I knew all the words in english.

Mine bakes for about 20 minutes, 200 degrees celsius in a regular oven. Voila! Awesomeness!

This is my favourite "I'm home alone and celebrating with something easy, not too unhealthy and GOOD"-pizza ^^ if you like jalapeños, slice some up and add it to the minced meat :3 I make mini-pizzas, pour up a big glass o' Coke and then sit back, munching in front of a horror-movie.

Enjoy ~

Kaye Sweetbriar
September 13th, 2009, 04:47 PM
My favourite meal: white rice with red kidney beans.

1) Make as much rice as you desire; follow directions on box. It is better if the rice is softer and fluffier, but make however you like your rice.
2) Pour 1 package of Sazon into a medium sauce pot
3) Add in 1-2 spoonfuls of sofrito
4) Add in half a small can of tomato paste
5) Add in 1 drained can of red kidney beans
6) Add in 1 can of water
7) Bring to a boil, lower to medium heat and let cook until beans are soft and to liking.
8) Combine rice and beans when done and enjoy.

Note: Add salt and pepper to taste.

South Munjoy
September 13th, 2009, 05:34 PM
New England baked beans:

4lbs dried Navy Beans
2 lbs LEAN salt pork, the leaner the better.... did I say lean? If not, let me say it again LEAN!
1 large onion, deskinned, but otherwise kept whole
2 lbs medium, commercial molasses, like Grandma's ( US Brandm I have no idea what you euros have that is the equivalent)
2 heaping tablespoons of whole cloves, in a cheesecloth sachet or a tea ball
2 Tablespoons dry ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Dump the entire mess listed above into a large pot with sufficient water to cover the beans, stir the mixture enough to dissolve the molasses and the spices, taking care to not break the teaball or sachet of whole cloves open, and bake for 5-6 hours at 350 F. Ensure that the pot is covered during this process.

--inspect occaisionally and add water to keep the beans submerged, as dried beans will swell up as they rehydrate. before eating, moosh the onion up if it hasn't dissolved during the baking, stir. Also remove the chunk of salt pork, cube it, and place the cubes on top of the beans. Stick the pot back in the oven and cook at the same temperature for another 30-45 minutes until the top of the beans are carmelised, and the salt pork is crispy.

After this is done, stir togeather and eat.

WolfVanZandt
September 13th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Heh. I gotta bump this thing up more often. A bunch of good ideas come through here.

Kassidy
September 14th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I call them booger cakes and they're relatively bland, but fun to make.

Ha, booger cakes... *snickers* I'm going to have to try that sometime...

Neat thread! ...even if I am a bad cook (I've set toast on fire, created grease fires in the oven, etc.) and don't really have much to contribute myself. :p

TawnySinni
September 14th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I've been craving French Onion soup recently, so I guess I could contribute that much. I just recently put this together after looking at a couple recipe books for the basic idea of what to use. I don't have any specific cooking times, but that because I watch it cook so intently that I don't feel the need to time it.

Single Serving French Onion Soup
1 small white onion, sliced thinly
2 tablespoons of butter
1 beef bullion cube
1 cup of water
a pinch of Parsley

Saute the onions in the butter in a small pot until soft.
Add the water and parsley.
When hot, but not boiling, add the bullion cube.
Stir occasionally until the soup is boiling and the bullion cube it dissolved. Remove from heat and cool before serving.

I personally prefer it with a side of potatoes and some Parmesan cheese, but feel free to customize the recipe to your will.

GestaltZe
September 14th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Too lazy, but It always comes out good anyway! I always get rid of the little white bits in the egg with a fork, because as far as I know that's the bit that could have been a chicken-babeh...

Completely off-topic, but I think the little 'white bits' is more like the umbilical cord. I believe the part that 'could be' baby chicks is the blood spots. You don't see them very often in store-bought eggs, presumably because the roosters don't come near the hens in battery-farms. :)

WolfVanZandt
November 14th, 2009, 08:27 PM
I finally have the core of my cookbook, The Art of Scientific Cooking finished and am in the process of transfering it to my website (that should be done over the next couple of weeks.) I'm also working on a cookbook of camp cooking (have you ever baked in a cardboard box?). Once that's done I'll have the stuff Files finished except I'll be adding illustrative recipes as time goes on.

I'm cooking poached pears and vegetable beef soup tonight and that'll go up within the next couple of weeks.

Also, I'm working on getting my homemade slide rule up to where it can multiply. I have to get through division, fractions, and exponents before I can get to that point, though, because I'll need logarithms. I did but up a way to multiply with geometry today, though.

It's like continuing education, Baybee!

:)

lycanthropictendencies
November 15th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I tend to like fairly simple recepies that include no more than half a dozen ingredients.

One of my favourites at the moment is pan-fried steak with a clove of garlic, finely chopped spring onions, ginger and a red wine reduction.

Another thing I do occasionally, but it's slightly more complicated, is a moroccan inspired dish with lamb in a casserole in the oven with a low heat. (In Morocco, they would probably use a tagine) Brown the lamb and sweat some thinly sliced onions and a clove of chopped garlic. In the casserole dish, a generous squirt of tomatoe puree (if you want, you could add chopped tomatoes instead), some thyme, rosemary, cumin, turmeric, ginger, shredded dried apricot. Add a couple of inches of water, the lamb, onions and garlic and cook in the oven for about an hour at a low temperature.

WolfVanZandt
November 16th, 2009, 12:24 AM
Aye, a little more complicated, but it sounds worth it.

ilrak
February 14th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Reviving an old thread >>

I have some recipes for those who want to try the "scavenger diet" as friends have so nicely called it XD

Aunt Rose's Tripe

Ingredients:

Tripe
1 1/4 cup of chopped Salt Pork
1 1/4 cup of chopped onions
2 med. size garlic cloves
1 - 2 1/2 can diced tomatoes #1
4 large carrots
3 celery
chopped parsely

Remove fat on back of tripe. Cut into smaller pieces. Parboil till nearly done, then cut it in about 1 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch strips. Brown chopped salt pork, ass chopped onions and brown. ass tripe and tomateos, salt, and pepper. add a little water if necessary. Cook till tripe is nearly done, then add diced carrots, celery, and chopped parsely. Cook tile vegetables are done.

Liver

Liver
Bacon
Onions
Flour

Fry bacon, pull the bacon out, throw in onions and cook them until translucent. Pull out the onions and wash the liver. Lightly flour and then salt and pepper to taste. Fry the liver in the bacon grease until it is about medium, not bloody but pink in the middle ... dry it out and it's awful.

The bacon is for the grease and can be eaten, discarded or donated to hungry puppies. ;>

Turkey Necks and Gizzards

Turkey Necks
Turkey and Chicken giblets
Bay leaves
Celery

Wash the necks and giblets, throw them in a pot of water, enough to cover them. Throw in three or four bay leaves, salt, pepper, rosemary, garlic. You can either cut up and use fresh onions or onion flakes. throw in celery for flavor. Nature's seasonings is recommended, but any italian mix seasoning will do. Cook them till the meat starts to fall off the bones and the gizzards are tender.

Hussar
February 14th, 2010, 02:15 PM
Pike or salmon:
1) Gut it, clean
2) Skewer it, cook it over an open flame
3) Pour some soy sauce on it, I like to eat it with a bowl of rice... mmmmmmmmmmm

Arawn
February 25th, 2010, 05:36 PM
I'll post my lasagne recipe at some point, but here is a recipe for beef heart I found and it's really good:

Hot German Sweet and Sour Beef Heart

1 large beef heart
1 tsp. salt
1 whole onion
1 bay leaf
1 rib celery (optional)
2 Tbsp. butter
2 Tbsp. flour
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. vinegar

Cut heart in half and trim; cover with water. Add 1 teaspoon salt, onion, bay leaf and celery. Cook about 1 hour; cool and remove heart and vegetables (discard vegetables). Trim off waste and cut into approximately 1/2-inch cubes.

Meanwhile make a roux of butter and flour; cook slowly until medium brown color, stirring constantly. Add hot broth, slowly, stirring constantly until light to medium thick consistency is reached (you may have broth left over). Add sugar and vinegar. Add cubed heart and simmer 15 to 20 minutes.

Adjust salt, vinegar and sugar to taste.

Serve over boiled or mashed potatoes.

It's copy and pasted from here. (http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/ubbs/archive/MEATS/Beef_Heart_Recipes_by_Angel.html) But this recipe is on various other sites.

Crepuscular
February 26th, 2010, 01:57 AM
This thread looks interesting, I'll try to toss an oyako donburi recipe on here when time allows. xD

Alunia
February 26th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Mmm, interesting *folds paws and looks thoughtful* anyone have any good veggie friendly recipes ? I never cook a thing at home cuz i'm totally rubbish, and i'm sure I lack the proper bits to keep my veggie diet properly ! Plus Norway is naff and has a weak selection of veggie alternatives

ilrak
March 13th, 2010, 08:44 PM
I have one easy recipe for the scavenger diet that I forgot to post!

Sesame Beef

Ingredients:
1 beef heart
Sesame oil
Salt
Pepper

Wash and trim the heart, removing all fatty bits and other non desirable parts. Slice the heart into several slices. Heat pan and pour in sesame oil, enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Place the heart slices in and salt and pepper both sides lightly. Fry the slices of heart, stirring frequently until well done and enjoy! Can be a portable snack, entrée or part of a meal. Serves well with crab, lobster, liver, or mussels and clams.

Sekai
March 21st, 2010, 06:34 PM
I guess I can contribute :D

Egg drop Soup
Pour 4 cups of water into a pot, and boil.
Add chicken or beef bouillon to taste (a few tablespoons)
Let it start boiling again
Meanwhile, beat an egg until the egg white and yolk combine
Slowly pour the beaten egg into the broth; while stirring the broth quickly with a fork.

Enjoy!

SerpentineZebra
April 24th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Werewolf of Waldorf and I concocted this meal last Friday, it turned out delicious; it's written for use with a grill, so you might have to modify it for use in the oven.

WARNING: CONTAINS PEANUTS, COCONUT, MACADAMIA NUTS

Aloha Fusion Peanut Chicken & Spinach Citrus Salad

Boneless, skinless chicken thighs and/or breasts
1 can pineapple chunks in juice
Peanut Sauce (can be homemade or store bought)
1/2 can papaya juice
1/3 can tamarind nectar
pinch of ginger

Baby spinach leaves
Sesame ginger dressing
1 can mandarin oranges
toasted shredded coconut
macadamia nuts, if desired

CHICKEN:

Drain the juice out of the pineapples, into a separate container; set aside
Rinse off the chicken, place in large Ziploc bag
Pour in pineapple juice, papaya juice, and tamarind nectar with the chicken
Seal the bag, set in a bowl in the fridge for four hours
Warm the grill up to medium-high
Place the chicken pieces over indirect heat (sprinkle a touch of ginger if desired); discard the bag with marinade
If you do thighs and breasts, put the thighs on five minutes before the breasts; cook the thighs for ten to twelve minutes, breasts for eight to ten or until done.
Serve hot with peanut sauce drizzle and pineapple chunks on the side.

PEANUT SAUCE:
(Courtesy of Laura W. on Cooks.com)

2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1-2 cloves garlic, minced or chopped
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon brown sugar
juice from half a lemon (can be less, depending on your tastes)

In a non-stick pan, combine all ingredients, stirring constantly over medium heat until peanut butter has melted. You can do this in the microwave too, for about 30-40 seconds.

SALAD:
Drain mandarin oranges (set aside juice/syrup if desired)
Combine spinach, oranges, coconut, and macadamia nuts in bowl
Drizzle with sesame-ginger sauce

*[I]Side note: For our starch, we opted for Hawaiian sweet rolls, but you could use brown rice.

Galactic Som
April 25th, 2010, 12:05 AM
Oh, I LOVE cooking! So, of course I'd love to share some of the great recipes I've found.

Red Curry Beef with Sweet Potatoes

2 tablespoons of cooking oil
3 cups of beef steak
2 cloves of garlic, chopped finely
1 onion, sliced
3 cups of sweet potatoes, cubed
2 cups of coconut milk
3 lime leaves
2 table spoons of curry paste
Salt to taste.

1. Slice beef into cubes.
2. Heat oil over medium high heat, in wok.
3. Cook beef for 2 minutes.
4. Add onion and garlic, cooking them for 2 minutes.
5. Add sweet potato, red curry paste, lime leaves and coconut milk.
6. Reduce head, cover wok and let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
7. Remove lime leaves.
8. Serve over white rice.

Sweet Peas and Bacon

2 (15-oz) cans LeSueur Very Young Small Early Peas
3 slices of bacon, cut up
1/4 cup of chopped onions
1 teaspoon of flour
1/4 cup of cider vinegar
2 tablespoons of sugar

1. Cook peas as directed on package. Drain and place in serving bowl; cover to keep warm.
2. Cook bacon and onion in medium skillet until bacon is crisp and onion is slightly browned. Remove bacon and onion from skillet; set aside.
3. Stir flour into bacon drippings. Add vinegar and sugar, cook until bubbly and thickened. Stir constantly.
4. Pour sauce over peas; top with bacon and onions.

Tangy Sliced Pork Sandwiches

1/4 cup of butter
1/4 cup of Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
2 table spoons of white sugar
1/8 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1/2 pound of boneless pork, cooked and cubed.
4 hamburger buns.

1. Melt butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat.
2. Add the Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, sugar paprika, salt and cayenne pepper.
3. Mix together and bring mixture to a boil, stirring often.
4. Add cooked pork and let simmer just until pork is heated through.
5. Divide into 4 equal portions, onto hamburger buns.

pyewacket
April 25th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Well now I'm absolutely ravenous. Thanks. XD

Arawn
April 25th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Mmm, interesting *folds paws and looks thoughtful* anyone have any good veggie friendly recipes ? I never cook a thing at home cuz i'm totally rubbish, and i'm sure I lack the proper bits to keep my veggie diet properly ! Plus Norway is naff and has a weak selection of veggie alternatives

I can try and find the recipe my parents have for cabbage stew, no meat in it at all. And it's really really good.

Kaye Sweetbriar
April 26th, 2010, 02:31 AM
I think we need a bit of sweet in here...

Chocolate Crinkles

½ cup vegetable oil
4 sq. unsweetened chocolate (4 oz.), melted
2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 cups Gold Medal Flour
2 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
1 cup confectioners’ sugar

Mix oil, chocolate, and granulated sugar. Blend in one egg at a time until well mixed. Add vanilla. Measure flour by dipping method or by sifting. Stir flour, baking powder, and salt into oil measure. Chill several hours or overnight.

Heat oven to 350° (mod.). Drop teaspoonfuls of dough into confectioners’ sugar. Roll in sugar; shape into balls. Place about 2” apart on greased baking sheet. Bake 10 – 12 minutes. Do not over bake! Makes about 6 dozen cookies.

Kolachkis

1 lb butter (soft)
1 pt. vanilla ice cream (soft/room temp)
4 cups sifted flour

Cream butter and ice cream. Beat in 1 cup flour at a time. Mix well. Chill well. Roll out on very well floured board. Cut into 3” squares. Put 1 T filling in center and fold corners to center. Bake at 350° for 10 – 20 minutes.

Oblivian
May 16th, 2010, 06:37 AM
1. Scoutfudge.

100 grams of margarine
1 deciliter of syrup
2 deciliters of sugar
4 tablespoons of cocoa

Stir until it boils, then let boil on it's own for five minutes (DO NOT STIR DURING THIS TIME!) then pour it onto baking paper or something else non-sticky. Let it cool off, then divide it into pieces before it hardens.

TA-DAA! Tastyness!

2. Apple crisps.

You need: Apple(s) of your choice, a knife, something to remove the core with and an oven.

Remove the core, slice apple(s) into thin slices. Spread them on a baking tray (I had baking paper on it too) and let them be in a pretty cool oven (50 degrees celsius) for three hours. You may want to turn them every now and then, to get an even.. baking(P).

This may have people thinking that I only like simple recipes xD

Yoraeryu
September 5th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Here's a thread to share all your culinary conquests. All recipes are welcomed (especially dessert ones!), no matter how simple.

Unless you're going to post Paula Deen's English Peas recipe or Rachel Ray's Midnight Bacon recipe... Then you're just silly. Actual recipes, yeah?

I'll start! :3

I just made Heath Crunch Pie on Thursday night. Perkin's used to sell it years ago, then they discontinued it and many voices were raised in dismay... Only to be ignored. So I made my own! I went off a french silk pie recipe I found online and modified it a bit... I didn't really get the texture right, though. I think I added too much cream. I've lessened the amount of cream I put in the filling for this recipe, and I'll also give you what I will try next time as well.

Heath Crunch Pie

1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry (I used frozen pie crust, turned out fine)

Filling:
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened
2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
3-4 Heath (Skor in Canada) bars (I used most of a bag of mini-bars in a fun pack from Halloween candy. I'm unsure how much that would be in regular bars. Will test soon.)

Topping:
2/3 cup heavy cream
2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
1-2 Heath bars for sprinkling on top
Toffee/caramel and chocolate sauce for drizzling, optional

Directions:
If using pastry sheet:
-Cut pastry sheet in half. Repackage and refrigerate one half for another use. On a lightly floured surface, roll out remaining half into an 8-in. circle. Transfer to a 7-in. pie plate; flute edges.

-Line shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 4 minutes. Remove foil; bake 2 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.

-In a small saucepan, combine sugar and eggs until well mixed. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. (Don't scramble the eggs! Low and slow heat!) Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla until smooth. Cool to lukewarm (90°), stirring occasionally.

-Place the Heath bars in a plastic bag and beat the crap out of them (I used a rolling pin) until they are appropriately crumbled in tiny bits and pieces, or use a food processor if you've got one.

-In a small bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Add cooled egg and sugar mixture; beat on high speed for 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.

-In another large bowl (chilled bowls and whisks work best!), beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold gently into egg/butter mixture. Add Heath.

-Pour into crust. Chill for an hour or so in the refrigerator.

-Whip up the cream for the topping until thick. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla, then beat to stiff peaks. Spread the whipped cream on top of the pie, making pretty little dollops around the edge if so desired. Beat the crap out of more Heath bars. Sprinkle them on top of finished pie and drizzle with toffee/caramel and chocolate sauce (if wanted). Chill for at least 5 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Makes about 6 servings (or 4 if you're greedy ;3).

Enjoy!

Also, the pie started weeping by Saturday morning (made it on Thursday evening). To combat this, I've heard you can spread butter on the pie crust before baking it, and that seals the crust to that it wont absorb moisture? I don't know; I haven't tried it yet.

I'll also fix the exact amount of Heath to put in to the pie once I make this again.

Somnia
September 5th, 2011, 01:35 AM
I read the recipe as "Health Crunch Pie" and after reading the ingredients I thought "That doesn't sound very healthy at all!" Haha :p It looks very tasty! I'll have to give it a try!

Since Autumn is fast approaching thought I would post a couple of Autumn-y dessert recipes. I made a homemade pumpkin cheescake that is very rich and out of this world. It is a Paula Deen recipe but it's better than English Peas, haha. Here is a link to the recipe with a video included:

PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/pumpkin-cheesecake-recipe/index.html

I didn't have a springform pan, so I used a square cake pan instead. The crust turned out great, but the top of my cheesecake cracked :( Maybe it was because I baked it in a square pan instead of a round one? Who knows but when you top it with whipped cream, it hides it very well ;)

OVEN BAKED CINNAMON APPLES

This one is very easy to make. My mate and I used 2 apples and it was more than enough for us. Here's what we did:

Take 2 red apples of your choice and cut them in slices. I like to leave the skin on because it gives it a nice texture after it's baked. Then mix up about 1/2 cup of white granulated sugar with about a TBSP of ground cinnamon. Mix in about 1/4 cup of brown sugar and stir it all up. Then we put the sliced apples in a glass casserole baking dish, and sprinkled the sugar mixture over the apples. We didn't need to use the entire batch of sugar, so you can eyeball it. Then I cut 1 TBSP of butter and cut it into 4 small squares and plopped then around on top of the apples. Bake in the over at 350 degrees for about 45 Minutes until it's golden brown.

I haven't tried this yet but you can also use about a cup of apple juice in the base of the casserole dish. Maybe it gives it more moisture?

PUMPKIN APPLE SPICE CAKE

3 Eggs
2 Cups Sugar
3/4 cups vegetable oil
15oz canned pumpkin (not the pie filling, try to find the real pumpkin puree)
1/3 cup apple juice
1 tsp Vanilla extract (I use the Molina Mexican Vanilla (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21O4FYdm7gL._SL500_AA300_.jpg), because it has a better flavor than the McCormick brand. Plus it's a heck of a lot cheaper. You can find it at WalMart in the Mexican food section)

3 Cups of Self Rising Flour
2 tsps ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups of peeled chopped apples (about 2 medium sized apples)
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Preheat oven to 350*. Mix the sugar and cinnamon and set aside. Beat eggs in a bowl then slowly add sugar/cinnamon, oil, pumpkin, vanilla, and apple juice. Add flour until it's well blended. Last, add the nuts and chopped apples. Pour the mix into a Bundt Cake pan (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/13/Bundt_cake_pan.jpg) and Bake for 55-60 Min or until a toothpick test comes out clean. Let it cool for about 15 min and then remove from the pan.

House of Chimeras
September 5th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Just for reference, Here is another thread (http://www.werelist.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25523) also on this subject.

I'm slowly starting to learn to cool more from semi-scratch. This recipe is an adaptation to something that is served at the restaurant I work at.

Barbeque Sausages

Take several Polish Sausages and boil them in water until cooked well. Drain the water while leaving the sausages in the pot. Poor enough smoking barbeque sauce over the sausages so that their completely drilled. Put the pot back on the stove and continue to heat. Stack and side the pot while heating to prevent burning the sausages or the barbeque sauce. Take a knife and cut the sausages into pieces. Remove from oven and serve.

Yoraeryu
September 5th, 2011, 10:41 AM
D'oh, apparently I suck at the search function on this site. I'm sorry! :< Well, maybe this can be... Um. A 2011 and onward version of the thread? D:

@Somnia - Yeah, the pie isn't what you should be eating if you're really counting calories, haha! Those apples though, they seem delicious. Its a take on apple crisp, right? I love apple crisp. Always seem to overbake them though.

Also, I have springform pans. I haven't used them yet. I've heard they leak and do other nasty things. We'll see.

Lyke
September 5th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Umm, i have some pretty basic recipes. Mostly vased off of cajun food, my family is cajun. Im just going to share some that I can think of off the top of my head though. I make up most of the food that i eat and usually it turns out pretty good. I dont really have the proper measurements for anything either. I kinda just go with it.

Scrambled eggs:
4 eggs
1/2 cup of milk
Black pepper
Ms. Dash (yes its for chicken... but it tastes pretty good)
Tony's cajun seasoning

Directions:
Just like maing scrambled eggs, only your adding a few extra things.

Extra:
You can also make a pretty good omlette with these things (or add cheese and other things if you like) if you crack about 2 eggs and put them into a sandwhich bag, add whatever you like, and put it in a pot of boiling water for about 10 minutes.

A dessert I made when I was 12:
Cheerios
Hersheys syrup
Peanut butter
Gram Crackers

Directions:
Get a bowl and pour in cherrios (not to much), hersheys syrup, and peanut butter into it. Then its like a topping to put onto the gram cracker. Its extremly filling but is really good haha. You might want some milk too.

KittyVel
September 5th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Mk, so I make this baked mac and cheese. It's pretty basic and very easy, but it's DELICIOUS.

Get a box of elbow (macaroni) noodles, and boil a little over half of it until it's nice and soft. While you're doing this, mix a can of Campbell's Cream of Cheddar, half a cup of Half & Half (you can use milk, but the H&H tastes better and makes it creamier), and some fresh thyme (I usually just eyeball it, so just put as much as you think will taste good). Mix all of this CONSTANTLY so it doesn't stick to the pot, and make sure the sauce has no lumps in it. It must be nice and smooth!

Once all of this is done, drain the noodles and take the sauce off of the heat. Continue stirring periodically. Take out a bake dish (I use an 11x13) and put a layer of macaroni noodles down. Then sprinkle a little over half a bag of shredded cheddar cheese. (This recipe uses about two pounds of cheese...unhealthy, I know, but sooooo good!) Then put another layer of noodles, and another layer of cheese. One more layer of noodles after this, and then pour the sauce over the top. Make sure you spread it out so that everything is covered! Then, put one more layer of shredded cheese over the top. Bake at 350*F until the top layer of cheese is a nice golden brown.

Once it's done, take it out and let it sit for about 3-5 minutes, then cut up and serve! It can make a meal just by itself, but you can also add veggies (I usually mix in some steamed peas for the illusion of some health. XD) or bacon or anything else you like! :3 Enjoy!

Somnia
September 5th, 2011, 11:08 PM
@Velvel - OMG that sounds sooooooo good! I've been wanting to try a baked Mac n cheese recipe for a while here lately. I'll give that a try sometime too :3

KittyVel
September 6th, 2011, 02:14 AM
@Velvel - OMG that sounds sooooooo good! I've been wanting to try a baked Mac n cheese recipe for a while here lately. I'll give that a try sometime too :3

Haha, let me know what you think! :3

Mason
September 6th, 2011, 02:26 AM
Hope it's okay for a newbie to pitch in... this is one of my favorite recipes:

PEANUT BUTTER BANANA BREAD

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed ripe banana
3/4 cup chunky peanut butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add bananas and peanut butter; mix well. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; add to creamed mixture.
Transfer to a greased 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf ban. Bake at 350 degrees F for 70-75 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.

Somnia
September 6th, 2011, 02:43 AM
Ooooo I love banana bread! I've never made it with peanut butter though. Sounds awesome! :3 Man you guys are going to get me fat :P

Shiro Felis
September 6th, 2011, 06:24 AM
I'll share with you a really really easy recipe to make an awesome sauce to eat with french fried potatoes, either those in long stripes or in cubes.

1- Take a few spoons of mayonnaise and put it into a bowl.
Try not to use mayonnaise that's got too much flavour.

2- Add some ketchup. You decide the amount based on how strong you want the ketchup taste to be. The best amount is probably that one that ends up giving the sauce a light pink colour after being stirred.

3- Stirr!

4- Add hot chilli peppers or tabasco.

5- Stirr!

6- Apply to preferred food.

It's something so simple and tasty, specially with fried food and potatoes that I use it often when eating these meals. It's done in about two minutes or less!

Yoraeryu
September 6th, 2011, 10:11 AM
@Vel - I can't wait to try that :x Maybe my cheddar-hating boyfriend would even like it!

@Mason - I wish I could make that! D: Cursed banana allergy!

Yoraeryu
September 6th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Family Christmas Cookies

1 cup (8oz) butter
1 cup (8oz) cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder

Cream room temp butter and cream cheese in a large bowl. Add sugar, mix well. Add baking powder. Slowly add the flour. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator for at least 4 hours.

Once rested, form dough into a relative ball and roll out to about 1/2-1/4-inch thickness. You can eyeball it to whatever would look right. Cut out with cookie cutters and arrange on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 6-10 minutes or until golden brown, depending on how thin you cut them out. Keep a close eye on them- they like to burn!

Let cool in a place safe from counter-surfing pets and family members, then decorate with icing and lots of types of sprinkles. I particularly enjoy cinnamon imperials on my cookies.

Icing:
milk
powdered (confectioners') sugar
food coloring

Add milk to a bowl full of powdered sugar until you get a slightly thick, easily-drizzled consistency. Add drops of food coloring to separate bowls to get a variety of colors. A few drops go a long way!

I totally made a ponyta cookie one year. It was awesome.

KittyVel
September 6th, 2011, 09:54 PM
@Vel - I can't wait to try that :x Maybe my cheddar-hating boyfriend would even like it!

HOW CAN YOU HATE CHEDDAR?! D: That's...so sad. :(

Something else I've done is get the fiesta blend shredded cheese. There's some cheddar in there, but there are other types of cheeses as well and it's really tasty!

Somnia
September 7th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Once rested, form dough into a relative ball and roll out to about 1/2-1/4-inch thickness.

What kind of relative should the ball be? Aunt, uncle, cousins? They are "family" Christmas cookies right? Hee hee, I know what you mean though. It's hard to roll up dough in a perfect ball because it will still be kinda lop-sided. I love cream cheese and never thought to use that in a cookie recipe. Sounds NOM!

I agree with VelVel. HOW COULD SOMEONE NOT LIKE CHEESE!! I can understand someone who's lactose intolerant but not liking the flavor blows my mind.

Yoraeryu
September 7th, 2011, 11:23 AM
*shrug* He just doesn't like the taste of cheddar. He says its got an aftertaste he doesn't like, too. I think he's also moderately lactose intolerant and may have a gluten allergy. His tummy bugs him almost daily. :< I actually prefer to cook with velveeta more than cheddar, myself.

And yes, cream cheese in a cookie? Believe it! ;P They're very tasty. Especially with the icing and some half-disintegrated cinnamon imperials because the cookie has been sitting for a few days... Mmmm is it December yet?

RiverFox
September 12th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Honey chicken

2 cups (preferably fresh) liquid honey
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup soya sauce
Dash of salt and pepper
6-8 chicken breasts

First, you mix the honey, ketchup and soya sauce in a roaster pan, (this sounds like a vile mixture but trust me, its really tasty when its all said and done.) Place the chicken in the sauce, baste liberally, add salt and pepper.
Preheat the oven to 350 Fahrenheit and place the pan inside. Allow to bake for ninety minutes.

This makes some delicious chicken that is so tender it falls apart on your fork. Trust me.

KittyVel
September 12th, 2011, 11:07 PM
That sounds like it'd be good to grill with some pineapple and slapped on a sandwich! P:

Somnia
September 13th, 2011, 06:55 AM
River Fox - That does sound tasty! Oh believe me, my mom makes a homemade glaze for hams around Christmas, I think she uses mustard and I normally HATE yellow mustard with a passion. But she adds honey and brown sugar and some other stuff and it tastes really really good. I think the other stuff tones down the mustards' potent smell. Hah

Lyke
September 13th, 2011, 04:18 PM
@River, I might replace the ketchup with mustard... I hate ketchup :x. Think it'll still taste good?

elinox
September 13th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Mk, so I make this baked mac and cheese. It's pretty basic and very easy, but it's DELICIOUS.

We just did mac n' cheese on vacation, but with a beachy twist. Make Kraft Homestyle mac n' cheese following the directions. Before you put it in the oven, add lump crab meat to the mix. It was delicious! :D

Somnia
September 17th, 2011, 11:26 PM
MORE AUTUMN DESSERT GOODNESS!! :D

Cranberry Apple Crisp

Ingredients:

3 Cups of chopped, peeled apples
2 Cups of fresh or frozen cranberries
1 Cup sugar
1 tsp of ground cinnamon
3 TBSP of all purpose flour

Topping:
1-1/2 Cup of Quick Cooking Oats
1/2 Cup all purpose flour
1/2 Cup packed brown sugar
1/2 Cup of melted butter
1/4 Cup chopped pecans

Directions: Combine apples, cranberries, sugar, cinnamon, and flour. Pour into a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. In a bowl, mix topping ingredients until crumbly; sprinkle over apple mixture. Bake at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until fruit is tender

The verdict: This is a great combination of sweetness and tartness. The tart mostly comes from the cranberries. If you don't like cranberries you can substitute with more apples or pears. Also, you can use whatever kind of chopped nuts you prefer, like walnuts, or maybe even almonds.

Yoraeryu
September 18th, 2011, 09:48 AM
D'ohohoho. I, too, have Fall baking recipes!

Apple Streudel Muffins

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter (or 1/2 cup butter if you have no applesauce)
1/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg (I didn't have any, still turned out good)
1 1/2 cup shredded apple
1 cup chopped apple
(I used two big pink lady apples, one shredded and one chopped. Don't chop too finely or you don't be able to bite into the apple chunks.)

Topping:
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp all purpose flour
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp melted butter
1/4 cup rolled oats (I just tossed in a handful)

Directions:
Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating well in between. Add vanilla, cinnamon and applesauce.

Mix flour, baking power, baking soda and salt together. Slowly incorporate into wet mixture. Add the shredded and chopped apples, mix in until just combined.

Batter may look like cookies dough... Don't worry too much about it.

Line a muffin tin with paper cups or grease it. Fill 3/4 way full with batter, add some of the topping and press it in.

Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of your muffins.

Biting into a still-warm muffin and getting that bite of apple is just wonderful. I'm eating one now. Numnumnumnumnum

Somnia
September 26th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Spiced Pumpkin Fudge

3 Cups of white sugar
3/4 Cups of butter
1 (5oz) can evaporated milk
1/2 Cup of packed pure pumpkin (not the pumpkin pie filling)
1 tsp. of homemade pumpkin pie spice
1 (12oz) package of white chocolate chip morsels
1 (7oz) jar of marshmallow creme
1 Cup of chopped pecans
1 tsp of vanilla extract

To make the homemade pumpkin pie spice: 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/8 tsp ground cloves, and 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg. Mix it all together to get 1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice.

In heavy saucepan, combine sugar, butter, evaporated milk, pumpkin and spice. Bring to a boil and stir it constantly for about 10 minutes or until the mixture reaches 234 degrees F. Remove from heat and stir in the white chocolate chip morsels. next add the marshmallow creme and stir until it's smooth. Add the vanilla and nuts. Mix until well blended and pour into a greased 13x9 inch baking dish or an 8x8 Disposable cake pan (I use the EZFoil brand). Spread it around until it's all even and let it cool before placing in the fridge.

*EDIT*

I think this is my most favorite pumpkin spice fudge recipe. I didn't really care too much for my original recipe but this one is awesome!

Mobius
September 27th, 2011, 03:43 AM
I suppose I should try and post my recipe for Egg Drop Ramen. Warning: This is college-type food. Basically, whatever is not in this recipe, and it's in your fridge, throw it in there too and see what happens. XP The recipe is inexact. I play it by ear EVERY time I make this, and end up with something slightly different each time.

Egg Drop Ramen (Recipe name undeveloped)

Makes 2 servings, aka, for two hungry people, or for one very hungry person.

2 Oriental or Beef ramen mix (these two flavors work best, but try others, too)

2 Eggs

Around 1/4 cup of milk

Canola or other frying oil

1 can of meat. Ex: Tuna, Chunk Chicken, Scallops, Imitation crab meat.

And soy sauce, General Tso's, Curry, Wasabi, or w/e you think would be good in it.

- Make the ramen like normal, to taste, except without the seasoning. I try and get it nice and al dente.

- Mix the seasoning packets, 1 egg, milk, and a bit of the sauce you are going to use into a bowl and stir very, very well.

- Put the frying oil into a frying pan on medium high/medium low heat.

- Once the oil is ready, drop the egg into it, and move it around a bit with a spatula, cutting any cooked chunks you see.

-Almost immediately after (especially if you made the oil too hot), dump the ramen into the frying pan on top of the egg. Chop and flip the ramen around, mixing the cooked egg into it.

- Dump the seasoning mixture into the ramen and continue to move it about with a spatula. Mix in more sauce to taste. (I always toss in a bit of soy until it starts to sizzle a bit louder)

- Put the meat into the mixture, browning it slightly, depending on what type of meat it is.

- You are done once the egg is fully cooked, but you may also add a bit more oil and fry further. Just be careful and not fry too long, as the moisture will start to leave the noodles and make them crunchy.

- Eat with chopsticks and watch your favourite Jackie Chan movie.

Somnia
September 27th, 2011, 04:30 AM
Eat with chopsticks and watch your favourite Jackie Chan movie.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!! Very nice finishing touch :P

KittyVel
September 27th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Ohh Mobius, that sounds good!

Mobius
September 27th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Thank you, thank you. I suppose I'll be posting more college food recipes in the future. almost all of them involve ramen, but a few involve beans, fritos, chili, stuff like that. Cheap things you can find at gas stations if need be.

Sephiroth-ac
October 22nd, 2011, 08:47 PM
I got caught out recently for food stuffs and had a rummage for ingredients. The concoction I came up with went well so I thought I'd share. Goes great with mashed potato.

Simple Reggae Casserole (Makes enough for 2 good-size helpings)
A pack of sausages (6)
Half-A full tin of Cannellini beans (dependant on how much you like beans)
1 large onion (sliced)
3 good size tomatoes (sliced and halved)
A crushed clove of garlic (or about a teaspoon of garlic powder)
A cup of water
About 1/8th of a bottle of Reggae Reggae: BBQ Jerk sauce. (I didn't measure it, just went with what looked right)
Oil for frying

Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mark 4 (180*C, 350*F).

Drain the cannellini beans, transfer them to a saucepan and cover with fresh water. Bring to the boil and boil for 10 mins before simmering for a further 20 mins.
While that's going on...

Brown the sausages in a large frying pan (you're going to be putting a lot into it).
Once they've browned, remove them from the pan and put in the sliced onion (I added a little Sesame oil at this point but it's not essential).

Fry the onion slices until they wilt (about 5 mins) [if using a crushed garlic clove add this to the pan and cook alongside the onion].

By this time the beans should have simmered enough. Drain them, chop the sausages into chunks and add to the pan with the sliced tomato, cup of water, Reggae sauce [and garlic powder if using]. Simmer until the tomato starts to soften.

Transfer to a casserole dish, cover with foil and cook in the oven for about 40 mins.

Sorry if it's not easy to follow; first time writing a recipe and I'm not precise with my cooking. :o

Yoraeryu
October 27th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I made myself feel a whole lot better last night by discovering and going through this blog... And I felt the need to share this:

http://bakingdom.com/2010/11/butterbeer-oh-yes-friends-butterbeer.html

Yes. As in that delicious-sounding stuff from Harry Potter. Oh yes.

Check out the rest of her blog. She makes some pretty tasty-sounding stuff!

I even made some calzones last night. They were pretty good, considering Ottawa doesn't have real pepperoni. ;3

yourdeer
August 22nd, 2013, 02:02 PM
NECRO-ING! Because I am thinking with my stomach today and really want to cook something when I get home, so I thought I'd scout around for recipes on the Werelist. Maybe we can get some sharing going again?
That mac'n'cheese recipe from a couple years ago, dang.

I found a recipe on tumblr a while back for a creamy mac'n'cheese that I really like, and have very slightly adjusted to my preferences:
You need:
3 cups of whole milk
1/4 of a cup of butter
7 oz of aged cheddar
2 - 4 oz of a mild or yellow cheddar
1/3 of a cup of flour
1/2 a teaspoon of salt
1/4 a teaspoon of chili powder
1/8 a teaspoon of garlic powder

1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Cook a half a box (8 oz) of pasta (I use medium shells) al dente, drain
3. Melt the butter in a separate saucepan, then gradually whisk in the flour.
4. Slowly pour the milk into the butter/flour, whisking to get rid of clumps
5. Simmer on low for about 10 minutes.
6. in the meantime, cut up or grate your cheeses. Try not to eat the whole block before getting it in the pan (usually a challenge for me with the aged cheddar).
7. Turn the heat off for the sauce mixture, and mix the cheeses in.
8. Add the salt, chili powder, and garlic powder to the sauce.
9. mix the sauce and pasta together.
10. pour all of it into a well-oiled iron pan.
11. You can grate a little extra cheese on top or add more chili powder to taste.
12. Stick it in the oven for 25 minutes.
13. Take it out, let it cool a little, and then eat it forever and ever.

I've got a few others to share, especially soups, so I'll probably post them later. :3

Bluewing
August 22nd, 2013, 02:34 PM
Fried Onions

3 onions, preferably red

1. Slice the onions
2. Put the onions on a pan
3. Heat the pan pretty high
4. Cook until cooked
5. Serve

I've always been a pathetic chef. >v< Even this one is quite an endeavor to make. But it is easy enough, quite tasty and occasionally gives me energy. ovo

In addition, I sometimes cook carrots.

elinox
August 22nd, 2013, 02:56 PM
I see your mac n' cheese yourdeer and I raise you my one with bacon. :p

Mac Daddy Mac n' Cheese
3 cloves garlic
1 teaspoon olive oil
3 pieces bacon, diced, cooked, reserving 1 tablespoon bacon fat
2 tablespoons flour
4 cups heavy cream
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 pound penne pasta, cooked
2 tbsp. melted butter

Directions: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place garlic in a small aluminum foil pouch and drizzle with olive oil. Roast 20 to 30 minutes or until tender. Remove from foil and chop. In a large saute pan, reheat reserved bacon fat over medium heat. Add roasted shallot and garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add flour and stir for 1 minute. Whisk in heavy cream. Reduce by a third. Stir in cheeses until melted, creamy and thickened. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and gently stir in pasta. Place in a 9X13 casserole dish. In a small bowl, mix together diced bacon and butter. Bake uncovered at same heat until bubbling and lightly browned on top, 20 to 25 minutes.

yourdeer
August 22nd, 2013, 04:13 PM
Elinox, that sounds pretty delicious. I might have to try that out soon. :3

Here is my recipe for chicken soup - it's a splice of The Lurking Fox's mom's recipe (the "stew" version) and my mom's recipe (the "clean soup" version) and is very casual with the measuring - this is an "eyeball it and then smell it" recipe.

You will need:
Bullion
A good amount of chicken (can be whole or just breast meat, depending on whether you want to deal with picking it apart or not)
A few carrots
A couple sticks of celery
A generous handful of fresh lovage (this is the key!!)
A leek and a small yellow onion, or, two leeks
2 bay leaves
thyme
pepper
salt
sage
(optional) three to six potatoes
(optional) noodles

Fill a large pot with water.
Drop in the bullion and (washed) chicken, and bring it to a boil.
Let it boil while you prep the veggies:
For the carrots and celery: for stew, chop into chunks; for a clean soup, leave whole.
The onion: Chop into large pieces for a clean soup, small pieces for a stew.
Wash and cut the leek - for stew, cut into discs; for clean soup, halve it down the middle.
If using potatoes, wash and chop into chunks, unpeeled.
Wash the lovage.
Put all your vegetables and the lovage into the soup.
Add spices to taste - I eyeball this, but when I'm done there is a nice little floating island of spices in the middle of the pot. I usually give each shaker a few hefty shakes, and am particularly generous with the thyme. At least two bay leaves a must.
Let it all boil hard for a few minutes, then bring it to a low simmer and let it cook for an hour.
If you want noodles, cook them separately.
If you're going for clean soup, get some noodles in your bowl, pull the meat and any vegetables you want out of the pot and divvy up among bowls as desired; ladle the broth in through a strainer.
If you're going for stew, load up indiscriminately!

We make this the stew way about half the time and the clean soup way about half the time. Both are really good. For a more-stewy option, you can cut and lightly sautee the chicken before putting it in the water, but my preference is for the falling-apart-soft boiled meat. Sometimes, if we are cooking for all four of us, we double our ingredients and use half to fill a chicken pot pie (add peas, corn, and pearl onions).

Fruit of the Moon
August 22nd, 2013, 06:34 PM
Well it's official, I'm having mac n' cheese tonight.

There's this amazing mac n' cheese recipe on Jamie Olivers website here (http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pasta-recipes/macaroni-cheese) that's worth trying at least once. I've only had it several times due to how expensive it is (around $30) but if your love cheese as much as I do, I'm sure you'll find it worth the occasional treat.

Also, if you enjoy lemon pepper it's great on mac n' cheese.

elinox
August 23rd, 2013, 09:01 AM
Also, if you enjoy lemon pepper it's great on mac n' cheese.

As is garlic, which, even with my love of the stuff, I found surprising. And we're having our version of mac n' cheese tomorrow, along with a delicious, currently marinating, pulled pork roast. :D

Somnia
August 23rd, 2013, 09:27 AM
Beef Stew with Carrots and Potatoes (http://www.onceuponachef.com/2011/02/beef-stew-with-carrots-potatoes.html)!!!! :D

My mate and I made this a couple of weekends ago, and it is FANTASTIC! You honestly have to make this an evening or a full day before you plan to eat it because the flavor improves as it sits in the fridge :). We cooked it in a large, deep, pot on the stovetop since we don't have a dutch oven and it turned out pretty good.

*UPDATE*

I bought a stew pot that can be used in the oven as well as stovetop. Oh my goodness, the recipe is even better when you have the proper stew pot to cook with! Soooo much better than cooking it on the stovetop for some reason.

3 pounds boneless beef chuck (well-marbled), cut into 1½-inch pieces
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium yellow onions, cut into 1-inch chunks
7 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1½ tablespoons tomato paste
¼ cup all-purpose flour
2 cups dry red wine, such as Burgundy or Pinot Noir
2 cups beef broth or stock (I prefer stock because it has a bolder flavor than broth)
2 cups water
1 bay leaf
½ teaspoon dried thyme
1½ teaspoons sugar
4 large carrots, peeled and cut into one-inch chunks on a diagonal
1 pound small white boiling potatoes (baby yukons), cut in half
Fresh chopped parsley (optional for garnish)

Preheat oven to 325°F with rack in middle.
Pat beef dry and season salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat until hot and shimmering. Brown meat in 3 batches, turning with tongs, about 5-8 minutes per batch, adding one tablespoon more oil for each batch. (To sear meat properly, do not crowd the pan and let meat develop brown crust before turning with tongs.) Transfer meat to a large plate and set aside.
Add onions, garlic and balsamic vinegar; cook, stirring with a wooden spoon to scrape brown bits from bottom of pan, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook a few minutes more. Add beef with juices back to pan and sprinkle with flour; stir with wooden spoon until flour is dissolved, 1-2 minutes. Add wine, beef broth, water, bay leaf, thyme, and sugar; stir with wooden spoon to loosen any brown bits from bottom of pan and bring to a boil. Cover pot with lid, transfer to preheated oven and braise for 2 hours.
Remove pot from oven and add carrots and potatoes. Cover and place back in oven for 50-60 minutes more, or until vegetables are cooked and meat is very tender. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary (freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of sugar go a long way). Let cool, then store in refrigerator overnight or until ready to serve. This stew improves in flavor if made at least 1 day ahead. Reheat, covered, over medium heat or in a 350°F oven. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired.

yourdeer
August 25th, 2013, 07:46 PM
That sounds awesome, Somnia. :3

I tried making a kompot (I'm not sure if there is an English word for it - "compote" is supposedly a cognate, but a compote is a sauce, whereas kompot is a drink) today, to use some peaches from a coworker's garden that would have otherwise gone bad.
Kompot is a drink made from boiling fresh, perhaps overripe fruit with a little sugar. Traditionally, it's poured straight into jars and preserved for the winter.
Here is what I did to make it (not following a recipe, but winging it based on loose instructions from my mom):

Wash fruit
Peel and dice 10 - 12 small, fresh peaches
Dice about half a package of strawberries, choosing the ripest ones
Place all cut fruit into a large pot
Boil water in a kettle
Pour boiling water over the fruit in the pot, until the fruit is floating freely
Add a heaping (HEAPING) tablespoon of sugar
Add a sprig’s worth or fresh mint leaves
Add two shakes of ginger powder
Bring to a rolling boil for a couple of minutes
Reduce heat and simmer for about an hour
Let cool, then pour liquid and fruit into a pitcher
Stick it in the fridge
Serve cool
(I also kept about half the cooked fruit aside with a little of the liquid to pour over ice cream later :3)

hotdogwolf
August 25th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Hey I thought about making a thread like this. Yoraeryu. You beat me to it. Oh well here is one of my own. Its from my recipe book. Here it is. Its called Porcupine Beef. INGREDIENTS-1LB Ground beef, 1/2 cup uncooked instant rice, 2 eggs,beaten, 1-1 1/2-ounce envelope dry onion or vegetable soup mix, 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet green or jalapeno pepper, 1-14 1/2-ounce can stewed tomatoes, 1 12-ounce can or bottle of light beer, 2 tsp. chili powder. DIRECTIONS- Mix together ground beef, rice, eggs, dry soup mix and chopped peppers. Shape into 6 large balls. Combine tomatoes, Beer and chili powder in a large skillet or 3-quart baker. Heat to boiling over medium heat or in a 350 DEGREE oven. Carefully drop meatballs into hot tomato mixture; Cover and simmer or bake for 45 TO 55 Minutes. Lift out meatballs and, If desired, Thicken sauce with 3 Tbsp. Flour mixed with cold water. Serve in deep bowls with cornbread or crusty bread.

Yoraeryu
August 26th, 2013, 12:53 AM
I completely forgot this thread existed and that I had made it. LOL.

How about a new recipe for everyone? Its always a huge hit whenever I make it.

Orange Chocolate-Chip Scones

1/2 cup COLD butter, cut into cubes
1/2 cup orange juice
1 3/4 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Begin by combining the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt into a large bowl.

"Cut" in the butter- use a pastry blender or just a regular fork. Basically mash up the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. A pastry blender is really really useful, especially for scone and biscuit recipes. Get one.

Add the orange juice and chocolate chips and mix until combined. When all the flour is combined, knead 10-12 times.

Turn out dough onto baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Shape dough into 1-inch thick disc and cut into 8-10 slices (like a pizza). Make sure the pieces are separated on the sheet.

Bake 10-15 minutes in a 400 degree oven.

Scones will be done when the middles are firm and spring back slightly when poked (doesn't sink like raw dough, basically).

Tip: I add a couple extra tablespoons of orange juice and slightly under bake them because I like my scones mildly gooey. Also the bottoms of the scones will brown and get hard really quickly. Keep an eye on them.

Hazel Moon
October 22nd, 2013, 03:31 PM
This is a brillant idea for a topic. The funny thing is I was just thinking a while back that we needed a topic like this, and then here it is.

Alright, I have a couple recipes to share from my collection. Most of these I made up myself, but some come from books I've read.

Summer Solstice Sunwheel Cookies

Rather than bake a traditional sunwheel cake, I decided to change things up a bit and make this sweet, delicious treat instead.

3/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon baking sode
honey
cinnamon
pinch of salt
2 ounces butter
1 large egg
roasted, unsalted sunflower seeds
6 tablespoons sugar

Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. In another bowl cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add mixture, stirring until well combined. Then wrap in plastic and refrigerate for one hour or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350. Turn out dough onto lightly floured parchment. Roll out and use cookie cutter to make round cookies. Place dough on cookie sheet then top with sunflower seeds, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and drizzle with honey. Bake until cookies are set and light gold around edges, about 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes.

For an extra burst of sweetness, drizzle with more honey after removing the cookies from the oven.

Hazel's Blackberry Bread

This is something I've made for my boyfriend and me for years. I grow my own blackberries and I reccomend using fresh, ripe berries for this if you can get them. The frozen ones aren't as sweet or flavorful.

1 and 1/2 cup flour
dash of salt
1/4 cup sugar
4 tablespoons butter
1 large egg
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
2 cups fresh blackberries
1 tablespoon baking powder

Preheat oven to 400. Mix flour, salt and baking powder. In another bowl mix together butter, egg and milk. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry, add two cups fresh blackberries and stir until just blended. Bake for 18 to 24 minutes.

Corn Soup With Fresh Marjoram

12 ounces frozen whole corn kernels, defrosted
4 and 1/2 cups chicken broth
pepper
1 ounce fresh marjoram

Puree the corn and marjoram with a little chicken broth, then combine corn puree with remiaing broth in pot with a dash of pepper to taste. Simmer for about five minutes.

Potato and Thyme Soup

2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cups chicken broth
4 ounces thyme leaves, chopped
1 pound potatos, peeled and sliced
black pepper
3/4 cup milk
4 cloves garlic

Heat butter in a large pot and cook the onion and garlic over moderate heat until soft but not browned. Stir in stock, thyme and potatoes. Simmer gently, covered, until the potatoes are very soft.

Pour the soup through a sieve set over a bowl. Return the liquid to the pot and transfer solids to a blender to puree. Return the mixture to the pot, taste for seasoning, and stir in milk. Heat until warmed through; sprinkle with pepper and extra chopped thyme if desired and serve.

Spearmint Jello

1 package lime flavored jello
6-8 hard candies, spearmint flavor
2 cups water

Place 1 cup cold water in blender with six to eight spearmint candies. Blend mints until the water in blender forms a white liquid.

After boiling a cup of water and dissolving lime gelatin in it, pour in the water and mint liquid. Stir.

Wait atleast five hours before eating. The mint jello won't set up as well as it usually does and will have a milky green color to it. But it tastes just like spearmint candies with only a tiny hint of lime.

Chicken and Pepper Soup

4 cups chicken broth
black pepper
1 cup rice
1 cup diced tomatoes
1/2 cup minced raw onion
dried oregano
2 carrots, thinly sliced
1 fresh sweet banana pepper, minced

Start by peeling and slicing two carrots, then mince the onion. Simmer the onion and carrot on medium heat in two cups broth for about 16 minutes. The carrots should be a little soft and the onions semi-translucent.

Add the other two cups of broth along with the tomato, rice, banana pepper, and about half a tablespoon oregano. Add a dash of black pepper to taste and continue to simmer on medium heat for about seven minutes or until the rice is fully cooked.

Sugar Dusted Drop Doughnuts

2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg, lightly beaten
3/4 cup milk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
oil for deep frying

Whisk together all dry ingredients. In a separate bol, mix egg, milk and oil. Blend into dry ingredients until smooth. Gently drop small teaspoonfuls of matter into hot oil (no more than 365 degrees). Fry until golden brown on both sides, turning over once. Remove, drain and roll in sugar.

There are a lot of different things you can do with this recipe. I made this for my boyfriend's birthday and made this three differet ways. One batch of doughnuts I rolled in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar, another I rolled in powdered sugar, and a third batch I melted pumpkin flavored marshmallows in a bowl in the micowave with a little bit of butter to create a marshmallow glaze for the doughnuts.

yourdeer
October 22nd, 2013, 07:55 PM
Hazel, wowwww that potato soup sounds like somethin' else!!

BlackStatic
October 24th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Gah! I'm trying to avoid having too much mac 'n' cheese, let alone the ramen recipes! You people will be the death of me!

I don't know if any of you have seen the kinfood (http://kinfood.tumblr.com/) tumblr but they're particularly helpful for those who feel the need to eat something specific to their theriotype.

Here's one of my experimentations with garden herbs that I adore. Never eaten French Toast any other way since this.

Ayla's Savoury French Toast:

2 eggs, lightly whisked
1/3 cup of milk
1 slice thick-cut white bread (softer and thicker the better)
fresh oregano and/or parsely leaves
barbeque sauce or ketchup (to taste)
salt, pepper, rosemary (to taste)

Beat eggs in a large bowl until mixed; add milk while stirring. Thoroughly soak bread in the bowl as you heat your frying pan with a dash of vegetable oil (I had my stove on high, but I come from a place that uses Celsius so use what works for you). Fry bread in a large pan until golden brown, flipping as needed. Top with oregano, barbeque sauce, ketchup, salt/pepper, whatever works for you.

Ayla's Mint and Yarrow Tea
All ingredients fresh picked and home grown. Mint and lemon balm are very easy to grow considering my back yard is infested with the stuff!

large handful garden mint (http://s3.hubimg.com/u/4589426_f520.jpg)
half handful lemon balm (http://everythingnicki.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/lemon-balm-2.jpg) (throw some lime balm in as well if you like; helps to balance the sweetness of the mint)
half handful yarrow leaves (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achillea_millefolium)
2-3 leaves of pineapple sage (http://www.penick.net/digging/images/2009_10_30/Pineapple%20sage.JPG)
cinnamon powder
squeeze of lemon juice (optional)
1-2 teaspoons honey (I've been using organic honey, recently found tasmanian leatherwood honey (http://www.tasmanianhoney.com/) and it's like nothing I've ever experienced)

These leaves are best picked and used as fresh as you can get them, straight out of the garden (dry-leaf could work as well if you can't find fresh sage or yarrow, but it probably won't be as strong). I like to run the whole lot under the tap first and then chop them with scissors as thin as possible, then let that sit for a minute in just a small amount of boiling water (filling your cup to about 1/2) to "cook" the juices out. This is usually where I also add and stir the honey, cinnamon and lemon juice in to generally make a broth before adding the rest of the hot water and stirring one more time. If you have a ceramic cup and strainer (http://cdn4.fishpond.com.au/0032/587/970/47100543/4.jpeg) you can mix the honey, cinnamon and lemon in before putting the lid on and "steam brewing" your leaves that way.

I generally drink this as my substitute for catnip tea (which I've yet to buy leaves for), which generally has the same calming effects. Pineapple sage can be used to help the digestive system, and yarrow is good for menstrual cramps. This tea goes well to wash down the french toast recipe.

R Swan
December 21st, 2014, 10:21 AM
Necroposting is my middle name. What better way to revive this thread than with a nice ol' борщ (borsh) recipe?

Now, most recipes you might have heard of call for a bunch of needlessly complicating steps like boiling things separately or sautéeing things before boiling. We're gonna ignore all that and instead I'm giving you a recipe for a borsh that's fresh, dynamic, and simple; something that you can afford both in terms of time and money.

I'm Russian, by the way. Trust me on this one.

For the sake of the overwhelmingly American majority I've taken the liberty to TRY and convert it to your weird non-metric units. Please bear with me. I'm not very familiar with alien measurements.

- ½ pound potatoes
- ½ pound carrots
- ½ pound beetroots
- ½ pound cabbage
- 1 nice big onion, 2 if they're small
- 1 nice big laurel leaf
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- 1 tbsp salt (NOT TOPPED!!!)
- 1 typical 6oz can of tomato paste
- 4 tbsp vinegar (cheating! I'll get back to this)
- 1 tbsp sugar (secret ingredient)
- fresh parsley to taste
- fresh dill to taste
- optional fresh garlic to taste
- optional meat of your choice; I use smoked strips of bacon 'cause they impart a nice ol' smoky flavour

Dice the onion, beets, carrots, and potatoes.

If you are pro with a knife, cut the cabbage into thin strips. If you're lazy or want a finer feel, grate the cabbage coarsely. That's what I personally prefer to do.

Chop the parsley and dill finely.

I like my garlic chunky, so I just remove the root parts and then cut the cloves in half lengthwise. I am one of those people who uses tons of garlic, though, so that option may not work for you. In fact you could also get away with crushing the garlic and only chucking it in at the very end when cooking is done. That way you won't get an overall garlicky aroma but a more fresh and pungent "punch". Of course you can also do both. It's garlic; you can never go wrong with garlic (and I'll get back to this in later recipes).

If you have meat, cut it into tiny chunks.

Take 50 oz water, chuck in the peppercorns, salt, and bay leaf. If you have meat, put in the meat now. When using meat, you need to let the meat get fully cooked before proceeding. If you're not using meat, just bring the water to a boil.

Chuck in the chunky stuff. Meaning onion, beets, carrots, cabbage, potatoes.

Put in the parsley, dill, garlic, tomato paste, vinegar, and sugar. The sugar slightly emphasizes the natural sweetness of the vegetables. The vinegar is a cheating method to achieve the proper sour taste of borsh. Now, if you were to do it completely authentically, you'd have to let it naturally sour for a few days after cooking, but we're cooking FRESH here, and FRESH means we do everything right from the start. Vinegar is the most "natural" sort of sourness you can put in. Lemon kinda makes it icky, and phosphoric acid tastes way too unnatural.

REMEMBER to taste it throughout. That's the most crucial part. Don't just leave it there for a long time and then taste it later only to discover it needs something. When cooking you need to always cook with the spices and flavour components, meaning you have to add them in as early as possible to get the best result.

There's your borsh. It's really THAT simple. Furthermore, it has a lot of natural preservatives, so at room temperature it keeps for AT LEAST four days. This means you can just leave it on the table. In some cases it will begin fermenting very slightly, which is a beneficial effect (and, as mentioned above, a crucial part of the authentic recipe). In fact, in Russia we have a saying, "The best borsh is from yesterday."

P.S. When cooking borsh sometimes you can have a lot of cabbage left over. That happens for me. When I get together the ingredients for borsh, the cabbage usually comes in ginormous heads and I've a lot left over after taking what I need for borsh. When left with leftover cabbage you can make Sauerkraut!
Take your grater and coarsely grate the cabbage. Put a laurel leaf into a glass jar. Start putting the grated cabbage into a jar in layers, lightly sprinkling each layer with a pinch of salt; possibly some peppercorns for extra flavour. If there's any cabbage juice floating around, put it right in there. Weigh the cabbage down with something so that it can begin releasing its juice. Seal the jar and leave it for a couple of days.
Fun fact: bacteria are naturally found on cabbage that ferment its sugars into lactic acid. This means cabbage ferments itself into something completely delicious, and you don't have to do anything but wait and watch! TUBULAR!

P.P.S. If you take the borsh recipe above and remove the vinegar, tomato paste, and beetroots, and then replace the fresh cabbage with your newly-made Sauerkraut, the soup you will end up is called щи (shi) in Russian, and is an equally popular and delicious soup. For shi, however, I recommend you use some sort of meat. I like to use a good ol' pork shank. COWABUNGA!!

P.P.P.S. You can even use the Sauerkraut instead of the fresh cabbage in borsh! That will give it a natural sourness and you don't have to use [as much] vinegar! RADICAL!!

R Swan
December 24th, 2014, 03:42 PM
I'm an immigrant who is well-integrated. One of the things that has been helpful in this regard is that Denmark also has its share of fantastic dishes--including some dealing with cabbage.

Today I am going to teach you how to cook brunkål (lit. brown cabbage).

Trust me, I'm Russian. Cabbage is my specialty. One of them, anyway.

It's easy! It's stupidly easy.

- 2 pounds of cabbage
- 1 pounds of meat of your choice (I use pork)
- 1 good teaspoon salt
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 oz butter; 2 if you're a total badass fatass like me
- pepper to taste
- maybe some nutmeg if you feel sassy'n'classy

0. Cut the cabbage into bits or strips. Don't worry about making them uniform or small or pretty. Don't make them too tiny. Just take that cabbage and chop it to pieces. Also chop the meat into bits if it's a goddamn monolith.

1. Put the sugar in a cooking pot; put it on the heat and let the sugar melt.

2. When the sugar's all liquid and browning, chuck in the butter.

3. Dump in the cabbage.

4. Keep stirring every once in a while until the cabbage has reduced in volume and acquired some brown colour.

5. When the cabbage is beginning to brown (not burn, but brown from the caramel), drop in the meat, salt, and pepper. And nutmeg, if you have it. Stir well.

6. Leave it simmering on slow fire for an hour or two under a lid. Don't rush it. Stir every once in a while. Don't worry about all the steam; there's PLENTY of juice in the meat and cabbage. Trust me, if you start adding in water, you may regret it later.

7. EAT, for Void's sake, EAT!! Eat this delicious motherfucking dish of epic glory. Eat every bit of it and enjoy it. You don't need to bring any sacrifices to Cthulhu. You cooked this glorious thing yourself. Bring sacrifices TO YOURSELF!! Sacrifice the dish to yourself instead.

Somnia
January 1st, 2015, 11:53 AM
@ R Swan - Wow both of those recipes sound deliciously amazing! Also doesn't look too complicated to make which is always win for me.

R Swan
January 12th, 2015, 03:30 AM
A year ago I was sitting around in my room and pondering how I could cater to the most base, primal needs of every man--namely meat and garlic. At the same time I also felt an unspeakable craving for mushrooms. This constitutes a holy trinity, the ingredients that form the fundament of what we all TRULY need in our lives. The GARLIC, MEAT, AND MUSHROOM DRIVE, or, as Freud referred to it, the SCHNÜRRBARTTRIEB.

...okay, I made that last part up. Freud didn't actually exist, because it was Elvis all along.

Now, that is something you WOULD have said if you were an idiot and picked the wrong mushrooms. But where I come from, mushrooms are a big deal. I would never pick the wrong mushrooms!

Trust me, I'm Russian--I know how to mushroom. Today I will teach you a little bit of what you do with the darn mushrooms when you suddenly find a bunch of them under the knife. Chances are it WILL happen to you sooner or later, and you could do much worse than to be prepared...

I invented this dish to cater to the three primal needs described above. It took some days of trying out different configurations and I've managed to distill the recipe to the minimal required ingredients. It creates a creamy mushroom sauce. Serve it with tagliatelle or fettuccine. I trust you already know how to boil tagliatelle/fettuccine without any guidance.

The cast, in order of appearance:

- half a cup of good margarine. Margarine, yes. Margarine, margarine, margarine, dammit, not butter. Trust me on this. Butter would RUIN it. I know my shit. Please don't put butter in. PLEASE.
- garlic to taste. Ordinarily I put three entire garlics in it. Not three single cloves, three whole garlics. It's gooooooood. If you're scared you can cut it down to one whole garlic. Just keep in mind that garlic is essential.
- a nice big onion the size of a Poké Ball
- pepper
- nutmeg
- 1 pound nice pork
- 1 pound beautiful mushrooms
- 1 tbsp handsome salt
- 17 oz creamy cream
- half a cup of pristine flour

0. Cut the pork into fragments. If it's strips of pork belly or something similar, you can cut it with scissors like I usually do. Make sure the pieces are neatly-enough sized to be comfortably eaten with pasta.
Chop the onion. Don't be afraid of making it chunky. This is not French cuisine.
Peel the garlic, extract the cloves, cut off the root ends, and cleave them in twain lengthwise.
Clean, peel [the hat skin off], and slice the mushrooms.

1. Melt the margarine in a normal cooking pot. When it's melted, turn the heat up and drop in the garlic and onion. Let them sear real quick to begin releasing juices. The steam is a dead giveaway.

2. Pepper and nutmeg, and meat in. Turn it all around together while it simmers until there is no pink left in the meat.

3. Mushrooms and salt go in. Turn it all around until the mushrooms have softened. Lower the fire a bit and let it simmer for a couple minutes. If it looks too dry, half a cup of water will do wonders. Don't worry too much, since we still have the cream...

4. While it simmers, whisk the flour into the cream. Slowly and deliberately turn the flour in. Whisk briskly, though, that it may not be allowed to form giant lumps. Whisk whisk whisk, whisk like you're pedaling for your life with your hands with a ravenous zombie breathing you down the neck.

5. Turn the temperature back up and pour the cream over into the whipping pot. Stir as you do it, because the plot- uh, ...sauce thickens. Stir well; you may notice it thickening very quickly. When it's all well together, let it come to a boil. When you notice signs of boiling, turn off the temperature. Stir again, just in case. You know you want to. Chances are you wouldn't be able to resist it even if I told you not to.

6. Take it off the heat. Let it rest for a wee bit while you prepare the tagliatelle/fettuccine. Don't worry about it getting cold. The sauce...has an amazing capability to keep itself piping hot for hours.

7. Serve and eat. (Do you seriously need me to tell you this step? You don't seriously need me to tell you this.) Stop reading! You're done! Eat! Eat!!

ShadowItami
January 12th, 2015, 01:50 PM
I am an amazing cook, and have tons of recipes for you guys.

I make this from scratch, and don't exactly have a recipe for it. This one will serve about 4 people. This is a home recipe, and is quite literally the best ever.

Worlds best Potato salad:

What you need:

6 potatoes (or more, yolk mix and potato balance is key)
12 eggs (or more, depends on size of yolk etc always have extra)
mayo
yellow mustard, brown mustard
Half a jar of sweet gerkin pickles
1 package of bacon
paprika
nutmeg
1 can of olives

Peel the potatoes, or leave skin on. Chopped, boiled until fork goes through easily. Drain and put in very large pot.

Boil 12 eggs, separate the yolk and the whites. Chop up the whites. Put yolk in a big bowl. Add mayo and both mustards till it tastes like deviled eggs. Mix in the yolk mix with the potatoes. Stir until smooth and not quite mashed potatoes. Mix in egg whites. Chop up pickles and add to the mix to taste. (I usually do half a cm slices)

Fry up bacon until slightly crispy, not burnt! This is very important. They have to be chewy. When done, dry on paper towels to get extra grease off. Cut them up with scissors into 1 inch long species. Mix into the salad.

Add can of olives (drained), sliced or halved.

Do about 5 shakes of paprika and nutmeg on top, and mix it in.

Super bad for you, but super good. Replace a meal with it.

Somnia
January 12th, 2015, 03:42 PM
@ R Swan - I LOVE mushrooms...and garlic...and meat. This recipe looks great. I also love homemade mushroom soup and last time I made it following this recipe (http://damndelicious.net/2014/05/10/cream-mushroom-soup/) it was pretty damned delicious. I prefer loads of mushrooms so next time I make it I'm going to use 2 lbs mushrooms, heavy cream instead of half-n-half (not my fault cause the grocery store was out of heavy cream), and cornstarch because I totally forgot to buy it (totally my fault on this one).

- a nice big onion the size of a Poké Ball

Hahaha, nice :p

R Swan
January 12th, 2015, 06:51 PM
...WHY...did I never...think of MUSHROOM SOUP before. HOW did I not think of this. I put mushrooms in soups sometimes, but making a soup BASED on them... HOW did this not occur to me. HOW?!

Somnia, you are my hero. I now know EXACTLY what I'm going to do the moment the shops open. It's time to try a new recipe!

Somnia
January 12th, 2015, 07:09 PM
Haha, you're welcome. :p

If you make mushroom soup you should post what you think about it. If you have a blender (I'm sure you do) and you want a creamier textured soup it's best to blend it all up. I prefer chunkier soups plus I'm too damn lazy to bother with a blender because it's another thing I'll have to wash later. :P

hotdogwolf
January 12th, 2015, 10:00 PM
Ingredients- 1lb. smoked sausage, cut into chunks. 3. jalapeno pepper, sliced. 1. green pepper, cut into bite-sized chunks. 1. sweet onion, cut into bit-size chunks. 1. foil cooking bag. 1/4 cup tabasco sauce. 1. 10-ounce jar sweet-and-sour sauce. Directions- Place sausage, peppers and onion in foil. Mix tabasco sauce and sweet-and-sauce in a small bowl and pour the mixture in foil bag; Seal edge tightly. Place foil bag on grill; Cook for about 45 Minutes, turning every 15 minutes. Slit open and serve right out of the bag.

Somnia
January 13th, 2015, 09:51 AM
@ Hige - That sounds deliciously spicy. :) I'll have a margarita with that dish :p

R Swan
January 14th, 2015, 02:02 AM
Another thing I had never thought about, as it occurred, was combining CHICKEN with mushrooms instead of pork...and I never thought of adding wine, either. Sure enough, wine is delicious in food, I know this for a fact. I have added plenty of wine into stuff before...but never in soup.

For these reasons I've put a bunch of dead chicken flesh, some laurel leaves and peppercorns, and a mutilated onion to be turned into the chicken broth the recipe calls for. It's been there for an hour now. Gonna leave it a bit longer.

In an hour the shops will open and I will get hold of some fresh wine. I don't know if the stuff goes bad. I bought a bottle months ago that I'd been using in food every now and then, but it's probably gone off by now. Meanwhile I'm gonna chop and slice the good stuff.

I'll report back once I've had a taste!

R Swan
February 15th, 2015, 10:24 PM
After my mildly moronic moribund mushroom misadventure, it's time to focus on the other primal drives of man that do not have to do with fungi: the need for a kind of food that is convenient, tasty, filled with meat, and can be stored indefinitely.

Today, male and female and whatever members of assorted species, it's time I taught you another Russian dish: пельмени (pelmeni). Lesser minds refer to them as "Russian ravioli", "Russian jiaozi" or even "Russian kreplach". Indeed, to celebrate the arrival of the ravioli machine in my kitchen I will take a retrospective look at the old-fashioned method of working their dough which involves nothing but a rolling pin, a knife, and a hell of a load of determination. It's also the only method to make them, as ravioli machines aren't happy about receiving raw mincemeat as filling...

Trust me, I'm Russian. Determination is my middle name.

First, the dough:

4 cups flour
2 eggs
1 cup water
1 tsp salt

BUT WAIT! Maybe you're like me and like a richer (and more obedient) dough! This is where you replace the water with eggs. It's easy! Use pasta dough proportions, an egg for every 100 grams of flour. Half a kilogram of flour and five eggs with a teaspoon of salt does wonders. What are eggs anyway, they're mostly water. So screw water and just go with eggs. You know you want to. The dough also gets less sticky and annoying to work with later this way. Regular pasta dough is your friend.

Second, the meat:

½ lb minced pork
½ lb minced beef
1 onion of a somewhat respectable size
2 tsp salt
pepper to taste

You probably know how to make dough. I'm gonna briefly walk you through it anyway, 'cause you never know. This isn't bread dough, this is more of a pasta dough.

Put the flour in a good bowl.
Drop in the eggs (if you use water, this goes in now, too) and salt.
Stir with something to get it started so most of the flour gets in contact with the fluids and starts sticking together.
Dump it out on a table and start kneading everything together. It's gonna take a little while for it to go from flour, chunks, and crumbs to one big piece.
Show it love, show it violence. Dough likes it rough. Use a lot of force. Take your time! It will take a good while until it goes from rough to elastic!
Let it rest wrapped in plastic wrap (to prevent drying) for half an hour to finish your job.

There's a lot of fancy science involved in kneading dough and letting it rest that has to do with molecules and gluten. I can't be expected to recite all this science for you so just trust me when I say you have to be VIOLENT with the dough and you have to be violent with it FOR SOME TIME.

While the dough rests, you've got plenty of time to prepare the mincemeat. Chop the onion finely, and just mix everything together. Mix well to ensure it has a nice homogeneous consistency.
If you feel it's too chunky and dry you can add a little bit of water to help it get together, but your primary concern should be mixing it all really well together. Like with dough, proper treatment makes all the difference.

The dough has rested! What you want to do is roll the dough into sausages. Make sure you only take a part of it at a time, otherwise you'll end up with a sausage far too long to handle properly. The best thing here is to cut the dough into quarters and work with one of them at a time.

Roll the dough into a long sausage shape of about the same width as a working man's finger (about two thirds of an inch).
Cut it into slices/bits half an inch thick. Squish it quickly to flatten it lightly into a fatass coin of dough. Dip each side of every slice in flour to flour it lightly.
Once you're through the sausage, take out your rolling pin and start rolling the slices into thin circular wrappers. Don't make them paper-thin. A tenth of an inch is a good thickness. Powder them lightly with flour to prevent them from sticking together.

Now's the fun part!

With a little spoon, take a small clump of mincemeat and put onto the dough wrapper. Don't put too little--you're no beggar--but make sure there's enough wrapper space left that you can still close it up.
How do we close them up, though? NORMALLY what you do is you fold the wrapper over into a half-moon shape and then pinch the edges. I fail at this. I expect that without practice you're going to fail, too. But do not despair! There's something different which works just as well. What I do--and what I will recommend to you--is to pull all the edges together into one spot and seal them up there, wonton-style. It's gonna look vaguely like a cartoon bomb. Seal them up real well and put them on a floured board as you go. Make sure you have several boards, 'cause this is where you're gonna find out just how many you're gonna end up with!

Now hold up, playa! Have you decided what you wanna do here, dawg? Yo boi gonna tell you 'bout yo options here. You can either cook 'em fresh as they are or you can freeze 'em. Yo boi here says they taste better frozen, playa, and it will make 'em easier to handle later. Plus you can store them for bajillions of years to have a quick and handy meal whenever the fancy strikes. Ain't that some shit, dawg?

There's gonna be a lot of 'em. When you cook 'em--whether it's from fresh or from frozen--you gotta have a sizeable pot of lightly salted water going. Yes, just like for pasta. If you're a really fancy-ass master chef in making, you can throw in a laurel leaf for extra flavour.
When the water is boiling, dump 'em in. In Russia the folk tradition goes is that when they float to the surface it means they're done. This usually takes ten minutes or so, so if they happen to float right away (which can happen if there's air trapped within) trust your meat-cooking intuition rather than Russian folk talk.
Once they're done, scoop 'em out with a strainer spoon to let the cooking water drip off. Dump 'em in a bowl. When you're done cooking them all, discard the water. This ain't broth! It's just cooking water! What are you, a cheese-parer?!

Serve with sour cream if you're a real man. (Author's note: women can be real men, too!) Hardcore pelmeni eaters (like my old folks) actually have some sort of infernal dipping sauce thing going which consists solely of heavily peppered vinegar.
If you're Omerican at heart, you can go with ketchup or any sort of dippy condiment.
Of course if your imagination is too lively to allow you to eat them with anything so simple, you can come up with all sorts of sauces, but the canon way of eating them in Russia is with sour cream. Ketchup is also an acceptable dip.

P.S. "Oh no! Oh no! Oh no! We had dinner but didn't finish them all! Oh no what ever shall we do! Oh no they're gonna be boring the day after!"
Do you recognize yourself in this situation? Do you feel like food from yesterday is no good? Do you wish there was a way to make it better?
FOOLISH MORTAL! All Russian food is thoroughly designed to be enjoyable at any time! At the day it's made, the day after, overmorrow, ereyesterday, a century ago, a millennium from now, ANYTIME!
But of course there IS a secret to salvaging yesterday's pelmeni from being cold. There is a canon way of taking those cold morsels and turning them into a whole new exciting meal. You're gonna like it. YOU FRY THEM IN OIL, OF COURSE! Serve with the usual condiments. Watch your family, friends, and whoever else is participating fight viciously for the last one.

P.P.S. When you put them in the freezer, put them in the freezer on the board you put them on at first when making them. If you just throw them in a bag, they're all gonna stick together and turn into one big monolithic mess. Put them in the freezer on the board, wait an hour or two for them to get firmly frozen, and THEN dump them into a bag for further freezing.

P.P.P.S. I never reported back on the mushroom soup recipe! (Oh the irony!) It was great! Definitely a dish I will be returning to every now and then! ...that is when I am able to cope with mushrooms again.

R Swan
March 16th, 2015, 09:17 PM
I would never pick the wrong mushrooms!

Trust me, I'm Russian--I know how to mushroom.

...said the idiot a fortnight before landing in hospital due to severe mushroom poisoning.

Anyway, I'm not here to point out the irony of fate; I'm here to bump this thread into being alive again (folks, post more recipes already, reading them is all sorts of good inspiroo) and to give you a small heads-up on the borsh recipe:

Dispense with the potatoes and replace the onion with a leek. Potatoes are filler and you get the starch you crave from the beets and carrots. The borsh will be lighter, your wallet will be [slightly] heavier, and you won't even miss the potatoes.
Also, leek is awesome. Always put leek in soups. Leek is MADE for soups.

Trust me, I'm Russian. I would never lie about vegetables.

Hazel Moon
March 16th, 2015, 10:04 PM
Potato casserole

My mate loves any kind of casserole, especially one made from potatoes. So I thought I'd share this favorite recipe of ours.

7 potatoes
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sour cream
1/3 cup green onions, chopped
1 tsp. salt
1 can cream of mushroom soup

Cook whole potatoes; cool, peel and shred into large bowl. Heat soup, butter and sour cream until cream is melted, but not boiling. Add green onions to potatoes and gently mix. Pour sour cream mixture over potatoes and mix well.

Turn mixture into a Butterer casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Good to make the day before then heat before serving. I also like to season the dish with a bit of thyme and parsley.

Cinnamon banana muffins

Another favorite in our house.

1 and 1/2 cup flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/3 cup milk
2 tbsp vegetable oil
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Sift the dry ingredients together (flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, cinnamon) in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, beat the egg and add the milk and oil. Then add the mashed bananas and oats.

Add the wet ingredients. With a metal spoon, blend the mixture. Spoon the mixture into muffin tins, sprinkle with a handful of oats and bake for twenty minutes until golden brown on top.

I also like to sprinkle a little cinnamon on top before baking. This can also be put into a loaf pan and made into bread.

Fennel and walnut bake

Fennel bulb, sliced
Green onions, sliced
Garlic clove, crushed
2-3 walnuts
Tomato sauce
Breadcrumbs
2 tbsp cheese
Olive oil

Fry the fennel in olive oil with the green onions, garlic and walnuts. Add a jar of tomato sauce and mix well. Place in an oven dish and sprinkle with a few breadcrumbs and cheese. Bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

Kisota
April 6th, 2015, 10:03 PM
I just wanted to share that R's borsh recipe is pretty interesting, even for a white-bread 'Murican like me! Not bad at all!

Achieve your full comrade destiny and give it a shot (I spontaneously grew an ushanka out of my head as well, super bonus).

Hazel Moon
April 11th, 2015, 03:28 PM
Chocolate Sweetheart Parfait

Ingredients:

½ teaspoon cocoa powder
2 teaspoons honey
1½ cups low-fat or fat free Greek yogurt
2 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
¼ cup shaved dark chocolate or chocolate chips

Equipment and supplies:

Measuring cups and spoons
Medium mixing bowl
Whisk or fork
Tall glasses, preferably clear

Directions:

In medium bowl, whisk together cocoa powder and vanilla. Add honey and yogurt and stir until they're well combined with cocoa mixture. It will turn light brown.

Spoon 2 tablespoons of yogurt mixture into the bottom of four clear glasses.
Top with some raspberries and repeat until all of the yogurt and raspberries are used up.

Sprinkle each parfait with chocolate shavings. Then serve or refrigerate until ready to serve.

Note: Parfaits can be made up to 2 days in advance. This recipe makes four parfaits.

Peanutbutter Muffins

Ingredients:

2 eggs
1 c. milk
¼ c. banana (about 1 banana), mashed with a fork
¼ c. peanut butter
1/3 spray
getable oil
¼ c. frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed (left out of the freezer until it's soft)
¼ c. nonfat dry milk
2¼ c. flour
1½ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
nonstick cooking spray

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350° F.

In a small bowl, break the eggs and use a fork to beat them a little bit.
In a large bowl, combine the milk, mashed banana, peanut butter, vegetable oil, apple juice, dry milk, and the eggs from the small bowl. Mix with a mixing spoon until the mixture is creamy.

Add the flour, baking powder, and baking soda into the large bowl. Mix again.
Line a muffin tin with paper liners or lightly spray with nonstick spray. Spoon in the muffin mix. Fill each muffin cup about 2/3 of the way up.

Bake for about 15 minutes.

When your muffins are finished baking, remove from muffin tin and cool them on the wire rack.

Rio
April 11th, 2015, 09:22 PM
This recipe is one I improvised a while back, so it doesn't really have a name, and the measurements are not precise. Basically, just use as much of the ingredients as you want.

This is the best recipe I've found to satisfy my inner werewolf, but it involves raw meat. I take certain precautions when making it and I'll go over that a little later. But first I want to say that this is really, really tasty, especially for a hungry carnivore.

Ingredients:
1/2 lb. steak
3/4 cup of butter
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 tablespoon of garlic powder
diced onions (as much as desired)

Melt the butter in a saucepan and add the garlic powder, chili powder, and diced onions. Mix well and turn to low heat to simmer.

Trim the fat and ligaments from the steak, cut it into small cubes, and place the cubes in a bowl. Take the sauce directly off the burner and pour it over the raw steak. Let it cool a little and enjoy.

Keep the meat frozen until you're ready to use it, and then let it thaw in the fridge overnight. Keep it as cold as you can until you're ready to cut it up. Make sure your utensils and work space are as clean as possible, and NEVER USE GROUND MEAT. Grinding the meat increases the surface area, and increases the number of places nasty little microbes can grow and make you sick. Use a single piece of meat, and wash your hands a lot while you prepare it. Also, it's a good idea to make sure the sauce is still hot when you pour it on the meat, because the heat cooks the outside a little bit. The more chili powder you use, the better: chili powder is great at killing microbes.

Also, get the best cut of meat you can find. I'm talking organic, pasture raised, grass fed, no hormones kind of meat. It's pricier, but it's worth the price in my opinion.

R Swan
December 12th, 2015, 04:55 PM
Playing Undertale rekindled my dormant love of spaghetti. Yet at the same time sticking with the tried-and-true spaghetti+ketchup combo seemed almost obscene. I love spaghetti with ketchup as much as any normal person, but having tried other things with spaghetti created problems.

There's a need everyone experiences at some point in their lives, and it's a need I've addressed before: the need for garlic. Today I will help you deal with your love of Papyrus, your passion for spaghetti, and your need for protein, cheese, garlic, and generally not having a bad time.

Trust me, I'm Russian. I'd teach you to cook spaghetti even if you know how.

For a single portion, you need:
- 1 egg
- 2-3 cloves of garlic*
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup parmesan, grated†
- 125 g dry spaghetti

* You can use more if you want. If you use less you're an enemy of the Republic or a vampire.

† Grated by yourself. You buy a wedge of real Parmigiano Reggiano (which is available at agreeable prices worldwide) and grate it on a fine grater. If you buy that horrible powdery rat poison called "parmesan" in those awful cans, you need to rethink your life.

Okay, so...

1. You know how to cook spaghetti? Put half a gallon of water on the stove, salt it, put the heat on high.

2. While the water boils, do something with the garlic that will reduce it to shreds. Either crush it in a garlic crusher or take a mortar and pestle and reduce it to a paste. Mix it with oil. If using a mortar, just pour the oil right in and grind it all together a wee bit. That's what I do. You can save a lot of dishwashing if you just mix it all right in your serving dish. So put the garlic/oil mixture into it.

3. Open the egg and pour its contents right into the garlic oil. Discard the egg shells. (I can't believe I had to tell you this.) Mix it all well with a fork until it becomes a homogeneous liquid. Yep, it does become homogeneous, and it does it rather fast, too. Just mix it together for a while and eventually it'll be an emulsion.

4. Throw in the parmesan and mix it until it's a paste that looks like mortar. This is the mortar of health, taste, and love. The spaghetti will be the bricks of justice and pleasure later.

5. Speaking of the spaghetti, the water should be boiling by now. Put in the spaghetti.

6. Have a life while spaghetti cooks. Depending on the thickness it could take 3 to 7 minutes. You can always taste it every now and then in order to make sure it reaches the consistency you desire.

7. Make sure you haven't eaten all of the spaghetti by tasting it.

8. Do not drain the spaghetti with a colander. Just take it out with tongs without letting it drip too much and then put it right into your plate. Stir well so that the cheese egg garlic oil mix turns into a sauce that coats the spaghetti. The cooking water still trapped amongst the strands will ensure it doesn't dry out.

9. Eat.

10. Do the dishes, you lazy bastard.

I've been eating this dish daily for a couple weeks now and I can safely say I'm addicted. The heat of the spaghetti and water melts the cheese and cooks the egg, turning it all into a creamy sauce meanwhile the garlic loses its burn and instead you get to feel its actual flavour as it inundates the sauce. The taste is very mild so your mouth can relax a little after all the crazy culinary adventures I'm sure you've been having in my absence.

South Munjoy
December 18th, 2015, 08:23 PM
Mexican Steak.

Here's what you will need;

Botton round steaks, Thinly sliced, or if you have access to a real carneceria, Any variety of mexican steak cuts. --Flank, skirt, de Pulpa, etc.

Roma Tomatoes
Peppers, (range in order of Scoville levels, Poblano, Jalopeno, Serrano, or use a whole mix, if you want

Onion
Garlic (only a clove or two)
Limes
olive oil

Dice the Tomatoes, Onion, and the de-seeded/deveined peppers and combine to make a sofrito. Mince the garlic, and halve the limes. --De-veining the peppers will remove nearly all of the heat, but still keep the flavor of the actual pepper itself. Make a LOT of this, as the steak should be smothered in it.

Either pan fry the steaks (Nealy all of the latin style steaks are sliced quite thinly) or grill them. If you're pan frying, add the mirepoix mix and the garlic in the pan after removing the steak and fry this until the onions turn translucent, then squeeze the limes over it and let the lime juice reduce, you may also want to add some of the pulp as well.

Put the mix on top of the steak, and serve with rice and either refritos, or whole beans, and corn tortillas. -You will want to either slightly toast the corn tortillas in a separate frying pan, or if you want to cheat, place the amount you ant in a second bag and nuke them for about a minute.

Mexican Rice (this recipe is based on 1:1.5 ratio of rice/water), multiply or subtract as needed.

add .25 to .5 ratio the above mentioned uncooked sofrito mix, a few tablespoons of the olive oil, plus,

A bay leaf or two, maybe another clove of minced garlic, and the special ingrdient that you may have to get at a latin market, Knorr, or Maggi tomato, or tomato-chicken boullion powder.

In your rice pot, add the oil, and heat it, fry the soffrito until the onions are on the verge of becoming translucent, then add the rice and stir fry it until the grains go from semitranslucent to opaque white, then stir in 1-2 heaping tablespoons of the boullion powder, add the bay leaf, then add your water, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.

R Swan
March 10th, 2016, 07:51 PM
Know what's bullshit? Lasagne recipes from the internet. It's like people have this sick urge to cram as much crap into a dish as possible. It's a mess and there's often needless extra work involved. It also means spending an exorbitant amount of money on a dish that doesn't warrant it. I'm gonna share my recipe, cut down to the very basics.

Trust me, I'm Russian. Living minimally is second nature.

Béchamel:

3-4-ish oz butter
1 cup flour
1 quart of milk
1 tsp salt
nutmeg to taste (mandatory, no question)
white pepper to taste (optional because there's already black pepper in the meat sauce; only included here because it's canon)

Note how there's no cheese in a béchamel. NO. CHEESE. When you add cheese to Béchamel, it becomes Mornay. Don't fuck.

Yeah okay stop whining, there IS cheese in this recipe. Just NOT NOW. Not in the sauce. Can we please not have this discussion now? Thank you.

Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat.
When the bugger is all melted, put the heat on high and start gradually whisking the flour into the butter. Make sure it's all a nice and even mixture.
Pour in the milk unceremoniously. Whilst whisking briskly.
Salt goes in, nutmeg goes in, white pepper (if used) goes in.
Bring to a boil under diligent whisking. When it starts boiling (i.e. the bubbles appear), remove from heat.

Meat sauce:

dash of olive oil (a pair of tablespoons)
1 lb ground beef
1 tsp salt
pepper to taste
1 onion the size of the skull of a cat in its prime age, reasonably chopped
14-ish oz abused tinned tomatoes or passata (they come in around 14-15-something oz cans, which is the perfect amount you need)
oregano (optional; over here it's just one of those spices you kinda always have)

Pan on high heat.
When it heats up, give it a dash of olive oil for lubrication, flavour, and more even cooking, and put in the meat. Salt, pepper, and oregano goes into the meat.
Break up the meat so it's not in one big lump. Cook it on the high heat just until there's no pink left.
Onion goes in. Cook under stirring until the onion shows hints of turning translucent (no burning/browning here!!)
Tomatoes go in. Stir well. Lower the heat significantly and leave it for 10-20-ish minutes (or just until your heart tells you 'when'), stirring occasionally.

Lasagne:

Meat sauce
Béchamel
3 cups [home!!!-]grated Parmesan or Grana cheese (or 4, I guess; just make sure it's a generous enough amount that you can put it on every layer and on top--it's optional, though)
lasagna sheets (wouldn't be much of a lasagna without these fellas, now would it)

In the cooking tray of your choice (tall enough to accomodate multiple layers; I'm ghetto as fuck so I use a regular cooking pot), grease the bottom with a wee bit of Béchamel.
Assemble the lasagne. The structure I use per layer goes lasagna sheet -> meat sauce -> Béchamel -> cheese. Keep layering until you run out of everything. Try to be smart so that the ingredients run out at the same time. Don't bother being too generous on every layer, or it'll disintegrate when served. And don't cover the top layer with more sheets.
Lasagne goes in the oven for 30-45 minutes. I typically do it at 320 F seeing how I don't want it to burn; I just want it to cook and integrate.

If you have a big enough stovetop, you can cook the Béchamel and the meat sauce at the same time and save a lot of time. My personal record is 59 minutes from coming home with the raw ingredients and until the finished lasagne was coming out of the oven and all the dishes and utensils previously involved were clean again.

Kisota
October 11th, 2018, 11:57 AM
I made a really nice soup this week that I want to share with you all. Here's a pic (https://i.imgur.com/5Fadris.jpg) (with honey-dijon salmon and steamed green beans and FALL AESTHETIC!)

Since I've been learning to cook, I've slowly gained the confidence to customize recipes. So, these days, I usually start with an existing recipe as a base and then tweak and adjust to make it more interesting or more to my own tastes.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/189936/curried-butternut-squash-and-pear-soup/?clickId=right%20rail0&internalSource=rr_feed_recipe_sb&referringId=9191%20referringContentType%3Drecipe
So that good soup I made. I used this recipe as the basis. But I made a lot of substitutions. Let me break it down for ya.
- instead of butternut squash only, I did about half pumpkin, half butternut squash. I also added 2 chopped carrots.
- about doubled the garlic. Srsly, you can safely double or triple the garlic in most recipes. They never ask for enough!
- Didn't really measure the ginger, but I probably added some extra of that too, plus a little shake of powdered ginger.
- did not use 3 full tablespoons of butter, because I didn't cook the stuff in the pot. I oven roasted it. I used maybe 1 tablespoon of butter but probably didn't need to.
- Didn't add half and half. I find it doesn't add much to these recipes... other than calories and lactose. xD
- Used vegetable broth instead of chicken. If I'd left out the little pat of butter, this would have been vegan. :O
- Also threw in most of one of those single-serve cups of applesauce before blending up the soup.
- Continued to add more curry powder to taste, plus some nutmeg and cayenne and cinnamon. ALSO, I took all the vegetables, including the garlic and ginger, and cubed-up squashes, and oven-roasted them for like 40 minutes. Nice roasty flavor for the soup. Once everything is nice and soft, chuck it in the pot, add your broth, spice it properly and simmer everything together for a while. Then blend.

It's delicious with some Greek yogurt swirled in. You could use sour cream too, but I find Greek yogurt is a perfect sour cream replacement and a little healthier.

hotdogwolf
October 11th, 2018, 04:06 PM
Hey Kisota Thanks for the recipe. I will be posting something from my book tomorrow if I can. Or I will post some of the cooking shows that I watch on YouTube.