PDA

View Full Version : Dragonriders of Pern

pyewacket
October 19th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Has anybody else read anything from this book series by Anne & Todd McCaffery? My friend introduced me to them recently, I'm just about to start reading the first book. :3

Ioshua
October 19th, 2011, 06:40 AM
I want to say I read a book or two about 25 years ago? I think I liked it well enough.

House of Chimeras
October 19th, 2011, 08:03 AM
I read the first book in the series but that is all. I lived some of the books concepts but other themes in the book just seemed to not sit well with me. I do like fiction works with dragons though.

pyewacket
October 19th, 2011, 08:09 AM
but other themes in the book just seemed to not sit well with me.

Ooh, like what?

House of Chimeras
October 19th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Ooh, like what?

Well, the book kind of rubbed me as putting a stereotypical 'women below men' in someways though to be honest the leading female being the golden dragon's person makes her really important. I've also read a lot outside the books about some stepped on toes as to how the series portrays sexuality and sexual preferences however I heard a fair amount of yay and nay on that both ways. I guess in the end though I just never continued the series because it was just not my cup of tea. However, I will admit I love the fanart for the series and think the back-plot with the threads and such interesting.

pyewacket
October 19th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Well, the book kind of rubbed me as putting a stereotypical 'women below men' in someways though to be honest the leading female being the golden dragon's person makes her really important. I've also read a lot outside the books about some stepped on toes as to how the series portrays sexuality and sexual preferences however I heard a fair amount of yay and nay on that both ways.

Ahhh, okay. :3 I'll see what I think when I've read them!

KaiVii
October 19th, 2011, 01:41 PM
This is one of my major fandoms soo....yeah xD

Anne McCaffery is terrible IMO at writing good,equal, loving relationships and her ideas about sexuality in general are...odd. Actually in general her characterization are a little odd and her son, Todd, likes to screw around with breaking her rules.

Beyond that though I like to play around with/think about the world she made. Where are you starting? DragonsDawn or DragonFlight? (DragonsDawn is like...a prequel and is actually one of my favorites in the series and IMO has the best/most realistic relationship.)

It's more of a case that you can tell she was starting out writing. (again IMO)

pyewacket
October 19th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I'm reading DragonFlight first, but I'll get a copy of Dragonsdawn.

Sorry to be a newb, but how are they odd? I'm sure I'll find out but I'm very curious. :3

KaiVii
October 19th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Well...I don't really want to spoil, but I guess this isn't really...a secret. but she has some views that any guy will become gay after experiencing gay sex, or that most gay guys are girly. There aren't really a lot of strong females early on and even the ones that are generally have a male in their life that's still making everything possible. It's just been a while but my boyfriend was reading them several months ago and some of this came up and I remembered it all. Some of the world building choices don't make sense. Like she stated there was no War or Religion on Pern yet in the first book the whole major conflict at the beginning is about how Fax took over like 4 other Holds (think castles) and married into another. He took the others by force. I mean that's not quite war but...very close.

Usually I'm just an art/fanfiction/RPer xD

pyewacket
October 20th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Well...I don't really want to spoil, but I guess this isn't really...a secret. but she has some views that any guy will become gay after experiencing gay sex, or that most gay guys are girly. There aren't really a lot of strong females early on and even the ones that are generally have a male in their life that's still making everything possible. It's just been a while but my boyfriend was reading them several months ago and some of this came up and I remembered it all. Some of the world building choices don't make sense. Like she stated there was no War or Religion on Pern yet in the first book the whole major conflict at the beginning is about how Fax took over like 4 other Holds (think castles) and married into another. He took the others by force. I mean that's not quite war but...very close.

Oooh, I see.

CheekyStoat
October 20th, 2011, 11:37 AM
I read a bunch of her books but I dislike most of them. She'll start out in one place then screw off to an entirely "unrelated" place and I get frustrated. She named a book "The girl who Speak with Dragons" (something similar, at least). There was ONE! chapter on her then she's never mentioned again. The book went into space for the rest and this girl was mentioned here and there in the books that followed but not really. I'm sure that if I read straight through then I may have had less trouble with the books but overall...did not like.

If you want a dragon series check out Mercedes Lackey, she's brilliant and she has a great four book series on dragons, the first one's called Joust. If you're looking for a longer series to get sucked into she does have one but it's not about dragons, there are griffons though. ^^

KaiVii
October 20th, 2011, 03:51 PM
I love the Joust books! They are by far my favorite dragon rider book! I just didn't want to de rail the thread and the DRoP fandom does have some great people.

The book you mentioned is one I didn't like either, but the Dolphins of Pern and The Harper Hall series and DragonsDawn are my favorites.

Vikaryous
October 22nd, 2011, 08:28 PM
I read them in junior high and enjoyed them, but it's been YEARS

CheekyStoat
October 23rd, 2011, 04:45 AM
The only book of hers that I enjoyed was Decision of Doona or something...? Had not a single mention of thread or Pern and I didn't even know the book was related to the series for awhile.

Entropy in Drag
October 29th, 2011, 01:28 PM
I liked her Crystal Singer books because I enjoyed the concept of mechanical energy from music; I also liked the book about Menolly, who leaves her Hold to pursue music and rediscovers the fire lizards. McCaffrey's good at illustrating the sense of discovery, but after a couple of her books, you start to realize they're all the same plot - good guys trump bad guys and the main characters get it on. Dragons, of course, are simple-minded Mary Sues who can do no wrong unless their people force them to.

Lackey has some nice dragon books, as does Yolen. I'm not as much of a dragon book fan as I used to be, though...

Shiro Felis
November 3rd, 2011, 09:46 AM
I recently finished Dragonflight and I'm probably going to read the other two as well.

Mccaffrey's style is silghtly strange, because she doesn't introduce you to many things. She'll just talk about them and that when you have to imagine what that could be.

The first book is a nice story, but not something really big or epic. It's just a series of events that happen with a lot of relationship building at the beginning. That's the reason why I enjoyed the ending where things start moving and get more dynamic.

Other than that I also enjoyed the characters: they're imperfect. They're not as stereotypes as in many books and the cruel position towards women gives the book a harsh yet realistic and appealing point of view