PDA

View Full Version : National Geographic Taboo - Furries

Somnia
January 7th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Thought some of you guys might be interested in this segment about Furries. After watching through most of the video, the narrator touches on the topic that some Furries feel like they should have born as animals and not humans. This could be hinted at Therianthropy although they never mention the term in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYwEYOP_BVQ&feature=related

House of Chimeras
January 7th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Oh I missed this episode of Taboo. The short segment is interesting. If the rest of documentary is like this perhaps the documentary isn’t so bad. (If I remember correctly their was some worry in the fandom over this documentary.) I’ll have to try and watch it when it comes on again.

I remember that static they mentioned from one of the annual furry surveys. If I remember correctly some small portion do identify as therian or otherkin but not enough to count for all the people who place themselves as not bring fully human from slightly to fully nonhuman. I think it just goes to show there is some amount of blurring where some aspects and sub interests in the furry fandom slide into more therian community related water in a few places.

Thanks for posting this.

Akai
January 7th, 2012, 12:50 PM
That's all they covered, huh? Well, at least they didn't dwell on the "dark side" of furries. Everything has a dark side anyways, so there's no point in focusing on it. Overall, I'm impressed how mature it was presented, but I can see how difficult it is to even mention the less than ideal aspect of some of the fandom. Towards the end probably wasn't the best choice (leaves a sour note), but at least they didn't start with it. I wonder if it should have even been mentioned.

P.S. Some YouTube comments make me laugh, "FURRIES Y U NO GET REAL HOBBY LIKE MY LITTLE PONY ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)"

Arawn
January 7th, 2012, 01:08 PM
That could have been so much worse! I was expecting something that dwelled on the sexual aspect, but it didn't which was pretty good. I wish they could have gotten more realistic fursuits, though. That'd have been awesome.

Spiritfox Autumnsong
January 7th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Leave it to national geographic to make the furry fandom seem okay in a world that views them so negatively. History channel screwed over one of our own members and made therians look crazy. Not to mention animal planet's special on different kinds of animal people (can't remember the name for the life of me) which lumped us in with some real characters.

Astral
January 7th, 2012, 08:15 PM
I just watched it and thought it was interesting. If you took out the word, 'furry,' you could almost believe this segment was about therianthropy... just without the 'suits. People who don't think they are entirely human...half human, half animal... :D I'm not a furry, but I do enjoy furry art.

Somnia
January 7th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Overall, I'm impressed how mature it was presented, but I can see how difficult it is to even mention the less than ideal aspect of some of the fandom.

I was impressed with the people they chose to interview. I watched this yesterday and enjoyed how mature and well spoken they were during the interview parts.

P.S. Some YouTube comments make me laugh, "FURRIES Y U NO GET REAL HOBBY LIKE MY LITTLE PONY ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)"

I know right? xD

Leave it to national geographic to make the furry fandom seem okay in a world that views them so negatively. History channel screwed over one of our own members and made therians look crazy. Not to mention animal planet's special on different kinds of animal people (can't remember the name for the life of me) which lumped us in with some real characters.

Oh I know how you feel! Kinda makes me wish that Nat Geo would do a documentary about Therians in this way. No goofy music, well spoken indivuduals who are not afraid to let loose and have fun while still being responsible adults, all that jazz.

Are you thinking about the Humaniamls show? It wasn't the "Weird True and Freaky!" show, it was a different documentary. I think this one explored the life of a man who had leopard spots tattooed all over his body, and he lived on a small island by himself. Then there was the Lizard man who split his tongue in half, and had weird implants done on his head plus tattoos, and the Cat Man who also had the tattoos, and had facial surgery done to make him appear more feline with whisker implants.

Spiritfox Autumnsong
January 7th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Are you thinking about the Humaniamls show? It wasn't the "Weird True and Freaky!" show, it was a different documentary. I think this one explored the life of a man who had leopard spots tattooed all over his body, and he lived on a small island by himself. Then there was the Lizard man who split his tongue in half, and had weird implants done on his head plus tattoos, and the Cat Man who also had the tattoos, and had facial surgery done to make him appear more feline with whisker implants.
That's the one! except it was a lady who had the leopard spots

Somnia
January 7th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Hmmmmm, maybe there were two leopards? I can't remember. I remember there was an animal type guy who lived on some island and he would only go into town to pick up basic supplies....nude xD

pyewacket
January 8th, 2012, 08:22 AM
That wasn't too bad, actually. :3

It's kind of cool that they got a PHD student furry ~ it shows that we're as successful as anybody else, and not complete freaks. And the not entirely human thing ~ there isn't a doubt in my mind that there are furries who would also identify as therians if they knew about the term, or if they didn't feel put off by stereotypes. Just as I think some therians would enjoy the furry community, if they could put aside stereotypes. The couple you see on the sofa are absolutely acting in the same way I've seen therian couples act!

I really don't think dressing up in a fursuit, or whatever else, is weird. People take themselves too seriously, it's just guys having fun. I guess I'm just that much of a furfag. XD

Necryn
January 8th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Oh I missed this episode of Taboo. The short segment is interesting. If the rest of documentary is like this perhaps the documentary isn’t so bad. (If I remember correctly their was some worry in the fandom over this documentary.) I’ll have to try and watch it when it comes on again.

That youtube clip is the entirety of their furry coverage. The episode itself was about people who live double lives, and the other segments were about real-life superheroes, a millionaire businessman who lives a few weeks a year as a hobo, and a woman with body integrity identity disorder who identifies as paraplegic even though she isn't physically, and lives most of her life in a wheelchair.

There was initially some worry in the furry fandom over the documentary. It wasn't a bad documentary though. I think it's some of the better coverage furries have gotten from mainstream media.

House of Chimeras
January 8th, 2012, 10:55 AM
That youtube clip is the entirety of their furry coverage. The episode itself was about people who live double lives, and the other segments were about real-life superheroes, a millionaire businessman who lives a few weeks a year as a hobo, and a woman with body integrity identity disorder who identifies as paraplegic even though she isn't physically, and lives most of her life in a wheelchair.

There was initially some worry in the furry fandom over the documentary. It wasn't a bad documentary though. I think it's some of the better coverage furries have gotten from mainstream media.

Oh, okay. Now I see. Well in that case, it sounds like the topics that it was places around in the same documentary could have been a lot worse. Kind of like how others are mentioning the terrible re-edit of the documentary Hum animals (which was actually rather good) into the Weird True and Freaky episode (which was really bad).

Kisota
January 8th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Definitely one of the better furry documentary clips I've seen. They found well-spoken people. And I'm glad they used a PhD student, to avoid the idea that furries live in their parents' basements and have no life.

But they allllways have to find people with the creepiest suits. Oh, god, the eyes. the dead, dead eyes.

And the "not quite human" thing still came out sounding a little extreme and weird. But that's really hard to get out in a not-weird way, I suppose.

pyewacket
January 8th, 2012, 01:51 PM
But they allllways have to find people with the creepiest suits. Oh, god, the eyes. the dead, dead eyes.

They're so blank, but somehow they still stare into your SOUL.

Natsilani
January 12th, 2012, 06:10 PM
"I guess I'm just that much of a furfag. XD"- Pyewacket

Just because some people want to put furries down, and insult them and gays at the same time, deosn't mean that furries have to accept the labels that are stapled to them by hateful people. Being a furry is besides the point; anyone calling anyone else a "fag", if they actually look into where the term came from, are uttering a violent, bigotry-swelled hate crime in my opinion. Hate crimes are illegal. You may call yourself the term if you're comfortable with it, that's your right, but in my opinion, using the term "furfag" or even "fag" to anyone is just as hateful as using the "n" word, and you wont catch me using it, even if I am a Furry.

As for the video itself...I liked it so much, I added it to my facebook wall. Great stuff. Horrible fursuits, but great stuff.

Eris Lobo
January 13th, 2012, 12:53 AM
As the therian who was TOTALLY screwed over by the History Channel, I have to say this -- I'm VERY impressed with how National Geographic handled the topic.

The History Channel interviewed me for hours in Denver (my home city) then flew me out to Washington, D.C., where they interviewed me a full weekend before setting up a psychological environment conducive to a mental shift, and then filming me before and afterward. The result was worse than a joke -- it was absolutely horrid and insulting.

So imagine my surprise when I just watched the clip on furries and, lo and behold, they treated the subject with respect!

Good going National Geographic! *bounces happily*

By the way, I'm old enough to have been around when people were called "furries" if they just like reading comics such as Albedo and Usagi Yojimbo, and they liked drawing (or viewing) anthropomorphic art. Now such things are so mainstream that to be called a furry you've got to actually dress up as a critter, eh? You young whippersnappers!!! *waves my cane at you and bares my geriatric gums menacingly* :p

-- Eris

pyewacket
January 14th, 2012, 02:45 PM
"I guess I'm just that much of a furfag. XD"- Pyewacket

Just because some people want to put furries down, and insult them and gays at the same time, deosn't mean that furries have to accept the labels that are stapled to them by hateful people. Being a furry is besides the point; anyone calling anyone else a "fag", if they actually look into where the term came from, are uttering a violent, bigotry-swelled hate crime in my opinion. Hate crimes are illegal. You may call yourself the term if you're comfortable with it, that's your right, but in my opinion, using the term "furfag" or even "fag" to anyone is just as hateful as using the "n" word, and you wont catch me using it, even if I am a Furry.

I know, but I said it as a joke ~ I would never call anybody anything like that. I don't accept the label either, I was being sarcastic. :3

Natsilani
January 14th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Yeah, I understand that. I wasn't trying to attack you, Pye, I was just voicing my opinion on the term "furfag" in general. You can use it to describe yourself if you want to, it just irks me when people (mostly trolls or bigots) use the word, when most of them don't even know what the term means.

Sorry for the miscommunication :3

Dagda
January 14th, 2012, 08:07 PM
I saw the segment and I actually really did enjoy it. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. I thought it was going to be as bad as the ChewFox incident (if you don't know, she went on Tyra and said furries have sex in fursuits and didn't correct the statement at all. She didn't feel bad about what she said nor did not do either.) I'm also happy to see that they corrected the whole sexual aspect of that community.

About percentage given for furs who feel like they're really animals inside. I've read Nuka(Blue Kitty)'s journal via FurAffinity and according to him, that was a correction NGeo made. Apparently, that figure was higher, but multiple furs who were interviewed by NGeo corrected them down to the given percentage of the segment.

Overall, Taboo's a really good anthropological documentary show. Seriously, I've always loved it, but since they handled such an "extreme"--as they put it--subculture with care, I'd love to see what they'd do with Therian/Other Kin.

pyewacket
January 15th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I understand that. I wasn't trying to attack you, Pye, I was just voicing my opinion on the term "furfag" in general. You can use it to describe yourself if you want to, it just irks me when people (mostly trolls or bigots) use the word, when most of them don't even know what the term means.

Sorry for the miscommunication :3

Don't worry about it! I agree with you, I just like being self-derogatory. XD

PhelanVelvel
January 15th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Why can't there be a PROPER documentary on therianthropy now? Why do furries get all the attention! :< I don't understand how people can leave the topic of therianthropy alone. It's so fascinating to me, and not just because I am a therian. D:

Natsilani
January 15th, 2012, 07:27 PM
For Real!!! Therianthropy. Just. Therianthropy.
No Furs. Not even furs who Are therians, just to make things easier to distinguish.
No tattoo/plastic surgery addicts
no loonies
Include Sucessful Adult Therians, not depressed teens who want to fit in somewhere (CrimsonBloodWolfPackcoughcoughcough)
Go in DEPTH about all three "origins" of therianthropy (psyche, clinical, spiritual)
NO CRAPPY EDITING
NO SENSATIONALISM

anyone else have something to add?

SkaitheWolf
January 15th, 2012, 07:55 PM
For Real!!! Therianthropy. Just. Therianthropy.
Include Sucessful Adult Therians, not depressed teens who want to fit in somewhere (CrimsonBloodWolfPackcoughcoughcough)

Oh lawd... don't bring those fucknuggets up >.> Giving a bad name to everyone like that... stupid kids v.v

cheetah
January 15th, 2012, 07:57 PM
There was going to be one, but it folded.

Natsilani
January 15th, 2012, 08:04 PM
O.O OH NEEEEOOOOO!
Why did it disintigrate?

Yoraeryu
January 15th, 2012, 08:04 PM
It folded because there wouldn't be enough shock media to warrant spending money on it. Why pay for something educational and rational when spinning things in a crazed and twisted light brings in the viewers?

Natsilani
January 15th, 2012, 08:12 PM
For Fuck sake...they have cooking shows! Hoarders! Alligator hunters! EVEN FLIPPIN FISHERMEN on T.V.

Just one hour, maybe two, to explain therianthropy as it really is to the public.

Dagda
January 15th, 2012, 08:18 PM
I think honestly the only way there's going to be a Therianthropy based documentary if it's made by a Therian. I don't think places like Animal Planet would be a good network to show such a documentary--even though it deals with animal/human based shows and even though Therianthropy deals with animal within humans. I'd say we're not quite a taboo or a cultural deviance either or at least not as much as Furries are.

They'd have to really do their research and pick therians from all types of backgrounds who experience their therianthropy differently. It'd have to show how we're all different and yet the same as well. They'd have to give it more than just a week's worth of taping, they'd have to really pour their hearts into it, really give it justice.

I don't think the mundanes would botch up a documentary of Therians, but I'd really like to see a Therian documentary be done. Would be in depth and informative (i'd hope) for those who aren't aware of our existence or don't know much about us.

Natsilani
January 15th, 2012, 08:27 PM
"I'd say we're not quite a taboo or a cultural deviance either or at least not as much as Furries are. "

That;s because therians are a pretty hidden demographic. Furries, on the other hand, tend to be very flamboyant in that they flaunt thier fandom and don't give a shit who cares. But because therianthropy is a personal thing that could lead to therians being labeled crazy/mad, therians tend to Not want people to know.

Then you have the deviants like me who is both a therian and a furry, so if I get on the documentary, I'll end up pissing everyone off :>

Talos
January 15th, 2012, 08:40 PM
Why do you want a therianthropy documentary? I am content with being a therian and not needing everyone to know what it is.
I am a furry and in my personal opinion it is expressing yourself to the world.
I can see why a furry documentary makes more sence than a therian documentary.

Natsilani
January 15th, 2012, 08:43 PM
=.= I'm starting to think that therian furries aren't as rare as I was led to believe.

Talos
January 15th, 2012, 09:25 PM
They aren't the, the crossover of these 2 communities is very common, I and many other people on this site are proof of it.

Dagda
January 15th, 2012, 10:10 PM
"I'd say we're not quite a taboo or a cultural deviance either or at least not as much as Furries are. "

That;s because therians are a pretty hidden demographic. Furries, on the other hand, tend to be very flamboyant in that they flaunt thier fandom and don't give a shit who cares. But because therianthropy is a personal thing that could lead to therians being labeled crazy/mad, therians tend to Not want people to know.

Then you have the deviants like me who is both a therian and a furry, so if I get on the documentary, I'll end up pissing everyone off :>

I'm also a therian and a furry, so I understand what you mean. Because therianthropy is on a personal level, that's why I stated a documentary should be done by another therian because they understand the intimacy that comes with being therian. If it's done right, therians won't be labeled crazy or mad. It'd be similar to the societies that are 2-spirited, they're not seen as crazy/mad by outsiders. It's just a culture shock and I feel if it's presented in the right way, others won't see it as crazy or mad. However, you will always have that percentage who will find it weird and a cultural taboo.

If you piss people off, that's on them lol That's also why I stated they'd need to show various therians of different backgrounds and experiences lol

Why do you want a therianthropy documentary? I am content with being a therian and not needing everyone to know what it is.
I am a furry and in my personal opinion it is expressing yourself to the world.
I can see why a furry documentary makes more sence than a therian documentary.

Well, for educational purposes, I'd say. I think that if someone wants to educate others on a community of people who are different than themselves. I don't think the therian community should be so hush hush, it sort of says that we have skeletons that we're trying to hide, but then again, I don't think we should be putting ourselves on display like the furries do it. I can respect that fact that we're an exclusive community and we're trying to keep the folks who aren't therian out, but I think they (the general public) have a right to at least understand who we are. It could help someone explain what a therian is to their family or friends. Who knows, I certainly don't, but if it can do more good than harm, I'd give it a shot.

I don't think one documentary will hurt us IF it's done the right way. It'd just explore what some folks experience as therians; lifestyle, family ideals, social life, almost every expect of it. Although it'd take extreme care in the project to actually make it work and it's probably just better to leave it as field work rather than a full out documentary.

Though technically, since we're on the internet, we're expressing the therian community to the world. The population of people having access to the internet is growing faster than people having television connection, so in theory having websites about therians would possibly be more harmful than a documentary. It's the same thing; it's based off of people's opinions during research and how they interpret that subject at hand. A documentary, if it's not available on the net, will be forgotten eventually. However, something on the net can never fully be erased.

I can understand a furry documentary would make more sense for the general public to have, but for the newer therians out there who don't have / know about forums like this, a documentary may be more informative and useful for them speficially.

Talos
January 15th, 2012, 10:17 PM
I guess so, I don't want to stop info getting out but I don't want to put the community on show.

Dagda
January 15th, 2012, 10:57 PM
I completely understand that, I wouldn't want to either. It loses the essence and uniqueness that is our community.

Yoraeryu
January 16th, 2012, 12:17 PM
oh for Fuck sake....
they have Cooking shows! Hoarders! Alligator hunters! EVEN FLIPPIN FISHERMEN on T.V

Hey hey HEY. The cooking show Chopped is amazing. Its a damn shame NONE of FoodNetwork tv shows are on dvd. Its also a shame that the foodnetwork channel here, when we DID have cable, paled in comparison to the U.S. one.

That is, hardly any Challenge shows, hardly any Chopped that I saw.

Now I get it for free off torrents. :3

DaxterD
January 16th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I'm actually rather surprised; normally I loathe Nat. Geo for demonizing everything they possibly can, but this wasn't as bad as many documentaries I've seen. It may not be totally accurate, but it seemed organised and without malicious intent.

pyewacket
January 16th, 2012, 03:20 PM
I think honestly the only way there's going to be a Therianthropy based documentary if it's made by a Therian.

I'm doing a huge chunk of my Masters on documentary filmmaking. Haha, maybe one day...

Dagda
January 16th, 2012, 03:30 PM
I'm doing a huge chunk of my Masters on documentary filmmaking. Haha, maybe one day...

Oh nice! Well, if you end up making it, I'd definitely love to see it.

pyewacket
January 16th, 2012, 03:33 PM
=.= I'm starting to think that therian furries aren't as rare as I was led to believe.

It isn't a bad thing. :3

Oh nice! Well, if you end up making it, I'd definitely love to see it.

Heee. If I ever did, you guys would be the first to know.