PDA

View Full Version : The Woman In Black

Liuna
February 20th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Okay so me and my brother just finished (sort of) this movie and I wanted to know if any of you guys thought is was scary or not! My brother was on the verge of tears and I had to cover my ears, if not my eyes, on a few scenes! We were the only ones in the theater too, so I guess that dosen't really help on leveling down the scary factor. I just want to know everyone else's opinion on this movie!

Vaksa
February 20th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Well, I don't generally regard things as being scary or not. For me, it's more of a startling. Like if you're sitting quietly and there's a sudden loud noise, you jump. But let me tell you, this movie counts as scary. More startling, but still scary. Great movie though!

On a side note, I had a phantom tail most of saturday(the day I saw the movie), and throughout the movie I could feel it all puffed out because I was so jumpy. Eesh, especially the parts with screaming. :P

Talos
February 20th, 2012, 08:59 PM
It's meh, not scary, not by any stretch of imagination. If you want scary read Steven Kings "the Shining", lots of startling moments just aren't scary for me, it doesn't leave much to the imagination and is pretty blunt in saying 'OK be scared here' and not a deep scare that actually makes you think.
Oh and watch Jhon Carpenters "The Thing" that's pretty scary.

Liuna
February 21st, 2012, 11:01 PM
Startling if definetly a perfect word haha
I wish I wasn't so scared of creepy, startling movies

Arawn
February 21st, 2012, 11:03 PM
I get to watch this movie tomorrow. I'll post more once I have seen it, but it looks creepy in the trailers.

SugarBlitz
February 22nd, 2012, 01:58 PM
Haven't seen it yet, but I def. want to! The reviews are so mixed though :/

Arawn
February 22nd, 2012, 08:53 PM
I finally watched this movie today. It was so fantastic! I'm glad I got the fiancé to see it.

Some girl in the theatre even ran out of it after screaming because she got so scared.

For me:

- It had a majorly creepy overtone throughout the whole time.
- The jumping out parts scared the hell out of me and my fiancé is sporting some nail marks because I grabbed a little too hard.
- The story was fantastic and the acting from everyone was really well done, particularly when emotion had to be showed.
- Daniel Radcliffe was bloody fantastic! He had limited lines, but they were delivered very well. He was an amazing physical actor in that he portrayed the emotions very well.
- The ending was great! It was horribly sad, but it's about time movies did endings like that.

Overall: 9 stars out of 10

I think Radcliffe chose a good role to do after having worked on the Harry Potter movies for so long. The role was serious and I feel it showed his potential in becoming a serious actor.

Liuna
February 22nd, 2012, 09:57 PM
I totally agree with you on Daniel Radcliffe! He's got true talent and I'm glad he can move on after Harry Potter

The ending was really sad, I agree. I think one of the parts that really freaked me out was the hand slamming on the bathroom window! Now I keep thinking my brother will do that to me one of these days just to make me freak out like he always does haha

SugarBlitz
February 23rd, 2012, 02:47 AM
You guys are kinda scaring me from seeing it haha ^^;

Cheshire
February 23rd, 2012, 04:02 AM
Oh hell... I get scared from movies sometimes... Ok I am a scaredy cat. This movie however had me covering my eyes and ears. Near the end I almost cried. It was a mix of fear cause by being startled and irritation because they used the same scare tactics over and over. A guy got up and walked out of the theater. My friend who never jumps at movies was also jumping throughout the entire thing. I know at some parts little ole me (who never says a word during movies) was exclaiming 'jesus' and 'oh hell no' so loud that my friend was laughing at me. I was disappointed by the ending (mostly because I started celebrating too soon -.-) but over all I enjoyed it. My friend also made fun of me because for a good hour after the movie (before I got a rather large blackberry margarita in my system ) I was paranoid of black objects.... Like trash cans or people in black outfits. I would see it again but not in a damn theater, ok maybe in the theater. This thread makes me want to go again.

The funniest part of the whole thing is that I went into the theater not believing it would be at all scary to me. I mean for the first 15-20 minutess I was loudly whispering 'Look it's Harry Potter.' Then the scary stuff started jumping out and I was like 'It's not Harry Potter. Oh hell no!'

Oh and the part with the marsh (those of your who saw it know which part) that got the loudest responce out of me. It made my skin crawl. That is actually one of my biggest fears, it is the reason I do not like going swimming in lakes... It just totally grossed me out.

ShadowItami
February 23rd, 2012, 04:14 PM
I liked it. Such a nice relief from the gore genre. In a long time too.

Tala Nahimana
February 28th, 2012, 02:10 AM
Dude! I have been BADLY wanting to see this! *whimper* Movies like this are the best in the theater, but if I manage to get to see it, I'm sitting way the f*ck in back XD

4 Pawed Spirit
February 28th, 2012, 02:45 PM
I'm thinking of going and seeing it tomarrow morning when movies are cheaper... but the theature will be empty. Except for me. In the very back. By myself. "Challenge accepted"

House of Chimeras
February 28th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Kardegray and I are looking forward to seeing this movie. We probably not be seeing it in theaters, but once it comes out on DVD we’ll be seeing it. The movie looks really cool.

Liuna
February 28th, 2012, 07:30 PM
I'll have to watch it again, except in the middle of a sunny summer day with the windows open and my cats on my lap while wrapped in a blanket... hahaha :D I'm such a scaredy-cat

pyewacket
February 29th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I haven't seen it yet ~ I probably won't until it gets on tv. I'm just sick of seeing all of the promotional stuff for it, haha.

Nightingveil
February 29th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Old-fashioned gothic film, I loved this one. But yes, for those easily frightened by things that jump out at you on screen, bring a friend. lol

Wolfgirl44
March 1st, 2012, 02:00 AM
Gotta say, I'm glad that I had my teddy backpack with me when I went to see it. Gave me something to bury my face in.

I shut my eyes during his second visit to the house, and didn't really open them for the whole rest of the movie. Had to ask the woman sitting next to me what happened when it was over.