PDA

View Full Version : How to Howl like a Wolf

Somnia
March 21st, 2012, 07:40 AM
I found this on Youtube and thought this was really cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYoXzZxEa9g

It's been a long time since I've tried howling that I need to look up tutorials on how to howl like I used to :p

Yoraeryu
March 21st, 2012, 10:32 AM
Hmmm.

"The owner of this video has not made it available in your country."

Hmmm.

So UnBlockUS works on everything except... Youtube? :/ What?

Arawn
March 21st, 2012, 10:34 AM
That's pretty neat, Somnia. Sadly, I can't howl like a wolf. I howl like my dog, hahahaha.

Astral
March 21st, 2012, 11:20 AM
I try to howl like a wolf, but obviously I am no where close. Lol. I guess I just howl like a dog...considering I am with dogs every single day and they howl all the time. :)

Ahat
March 21st, 2012, 11:41 AM
I howl wolf-like :) but I was never screamed so I don't know how to scream xD

Natsilani
March 21st, 2012, 12:25 PM
I wasn't able to see the video either, but I do try to howl once and a while. I suppose, in that respect, the human voice is limited; no matter how hard a human tries, he can never really howl like a wolf, authentically. We just have different anatomy. But I try anyhow :)

SugarBlitz
March 21st, 2012, 01:59 PM
I just howl like me ^^ I think it should be natural!

Arawn
March 21st, 2012, 02:02 PM

:) Of course! But my howl is almost exactly the same as my dog's -- I just can't do the little bark she likes to do in the middle of the howl.

Ahat
March 21st, 2012, 02:13 PM
I can howl on lots of different ways... But it still have little of my tone :)
My dogs don't know to howl x3

SugarBlitz
March 21st, 2012, 02:15 PM
:) Of course! But my howl is almost exactly the same as my dog's -- I just can't do the little bark she likes to do in the middle of the howl.

How cute!!!! :D ah those howls are awesome

Astral
March 21st, 2012, 10:42 PM
Update from earlier post: I tried howling like in that video and the dogs at work looked at me like, "Who the hell did that?" I think I did a decent job and I obviously got a good response from my canine friends, but my vocal range/pitch isn't very tuned. :\

Kisota
March 21st, 2012, 10:58 PM
I've been really quite good at howling in the past. I can get a very full throated sound instead of just a weasely human-voicelike "arrooo-OOOooo."

But I haven't gotten to do that in a long time. I'm just never somewhere private enough to not disturb people. I'm probably way out of practice by now. When I was little, we had howling contests at recess. I always won. Awwww yeaah! x'D It seems to have come pretty naturally for me. We used to occasionally howl with our dogs, too. Their howls always sounded so desperate and sad and worked up!

On another note, what a lovely biologist! She was so sweet and bright and friendly and full of life. Awesome lady.

swanblood
March 22nd, 2012, 03:05 AM
Ah, I really wish I could honk like a swan! I know that I probably can't trumpet like a trumpeter (they have a special, super long windpipe that actually does work like they have a trumpet inside them), but I would love to be able to honk like a mute swan (they do make sound, the name is not so correct).

It's not a "nice" sound to human ears, but, when I'm standing on top of a hill, I just want to be able to cry out...

Or, I would settle for hawk sound, or any kind of loud bird cry really... Any avians have videos for this kind of things?

Nemaisare
April 1st, 2012, 12:13 AM
Well Swanblood, I don't know about a honk, those are hard to do, especially as it takes a lot of roughness to make the sound come out forcefully. Then again, I've never listened to a mute swan, so my honk experience is goosey. :p and there, my imitation sucks.

But I can do an okay seagull and occasionally have some luck with a crow sound. I think the thing is to just practice getting close to the noise you want and then shifting your muscles around until you get the sound you're looking for. Although I have no idea if a human throat can physically imitate a swan honk... I still say good luck. And if you do learn how to do it... fill us in.

I can't see the video either, sadly. I'll love to know how others advise on howling... Haven't done it myself in the longest time, and I don't think I was ever that great. A very lacking in volume tiger groan is my best bet but I don't do it too often...

Ava
April 29th, 2012, 05:02 AM
I can't really hear myself when I try to howl, but it sure makes my dogs come running fast. Either I sound like a wounded animal or I've discovered the howl-word for "food" LOL!

PhelanVelvel
May 3rd, 2012, 02:17 AM

I howl like me, too. XD I never tried to learn from anywhere or anything, it just came naturally. I like my howls because they're me. You can hear them on page 19 of the Animal Noises thread, haha.