PDA

View Full Version : Calling for volunteers: WVZ's SE Howl and Were site building

Savage
May 25th, 2012, 02:53 AM
I am calling for assistance and resources from the general community for the purpose of building a site for Wolf Van Zandt to administer, to help keep offline Howlers in touch with one another, and to build an intentional community of Weres.

Folks wanting to volunteer, we will need the following:

1. Hosting space - anybody have some extra bandwidth to donate for a forum? I *may* be able to rustle something up, but it would be a friend-of-a-friend situation at best.
2. Help putting an easy to operate forum package on the site.
3. A leadership assistance team who can work with WVZ and help make it happen.

It's also possible a simple free forum site can be used, so we'll be taking suggestions on the best and easiest to use packages.

Put your thinking caps on and let's get to work building this for the community. And other sites, should there be community leaders and segments of the therian community that need a specifically focused place to call home.

EDIT: I may not be around much for the next week as a family member has just been hospitalized. Please don't think it's because I'm abandoning the project - I will be back when I can be. In the meantime, this is a great community and I trust you to come up with a lot of great stuff and to make it work.

Ashen
May 25th, 2012, 03:35 AM
I'm willing to help WVZ create and lead this site, trying to research old articles and get in touch with others to brainstorm and get ideas for the site, but defiantly committed. I like the idea of it also being an area for the howlers to be able to connect.

Could also be a base site for information regarding the offline therian living communities that have begun to form

I won't be around to terribly much until mid June, but will be working on the project.

Mobius
May 25th, 2012, 04:47 AM
The site I used to administrate was run from FreePowerBoards. Lately, it's been redone a bit, and now it has llamas, but there you go. It might be completely different from what it used to be, as I haven't read up on it or helped in adminning in a long time.

Lenowill
May 25th, 2012, 05:14 AM
I've passed word on to my housemates Ys'Rayl and Elidolente about the call for help.

Ys'Rayl in particular is a programmer and might be able to help on the technical end of things. He can also help brainstorm about bandwidth options.

I'd be willing to volunteer to help with the leadership end of things.

Elidolente might be able to help with either the tech end of it or the leadership end of it depending on how things flow.

I'll try to get conversation going about it between the three of us today.

For me, ditto Ashen on liking the idea of making the site be especially well-equipped for serving people who are interested in offline community and howls.

Zigo
May 25th, 2012, 12:02 PM
So why don't the 'offline weres' just use this place, for instance, instead of making their own little site? On that note, if they're 'offline' in the first place, why are you considering making them their own forum? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose? If they've got their own site they aren't really an offline community anymore, are they?

I can't help but, once again, feel like this is some kind of little club for WVZ's special friends. Isn't it enough that he goes around pretending as if the 'offline community' is in some way superior to what we have here, that the people involved are more legitimate? This is totally ridiculous.

Savage
May 25th, 2012, 12:41 PM
I'm posting on very little sleep, so please keep this in mind if I seem a bit out of joint.

For many reasons, we very much want to encourage and support community leaders to build sites of intentional community - places that can be as small as one person and their friends who think alike, or serving a focused area of the community like "LGBT therians" or "Christian therians". To this end we are starting a project to help make site building resources more easily available to people who have the time and energy to be community leaders. It's starting off with WVZ, but it definitely won't end there, and we're looking for folks interested in being part of a therian site development team.

A separate site for the slightly different culture of the mostly-offline crew to coordinate makes lots of sense. But if you don't think it is right for you, the Internet is a very big place and you are not required to participate on any site that doesn't work for you. Part of our goal is to increase site diversity in the therian community, so that everyone can have a choice.

I would ask that you not denigrate that choice to other folks who do feel that a home like that would be good for them, even if you do not personally choose to participate. Please respect their choice as you would want your own respected.

The reason it's not going to work very well for WVZ's vision to function on Werelist is a difference in culture and communication styles that multiple people seem to be reporting. While we can support and encourage this different culture and this segment of the community - that's what a community hub site exists to do - the culture that for better or worse exists on our own forums is its own. Supporting others as a hub makes more sense than cultures clashing while trying to be the same site, or our overshadowing a unique corner of the community that can best flourish on a dedicated site that does not have strong influences from Werelist-specific culture.

Honestly, I never intended there to *be* a Werelist specific culture. But for better or worse, there is one, and it is important that it NOT be the only one out there. Diversity in our community is an asset well worth working for, because it gives the greatest number of people the greatest chance of finding their 'home'.

Savage
May 25th, 2012, 01:52 PM
I should probably add this - one thing we're not trying to do is dilute or duplicate efforts, so if there is *already* a site in existence that is targeted to a specific community and that site is stable, the plan is to drive traffic there and/or offer that existing site support and resources, not build a new one just for the sake of building it.

The idea right now is to put a loose dev team together, start brainstorming and gathering useful resources like links to the easiest to operate free or cheap sites, tutorial FAQ pages and contact information for folks who may be willing to help in various ways on projects they personally feel are worthwhile.

The criteria for where the team's efforts get directed are likely to be these:

1. We need to clearly identify a segment of the community who feel their needs are not being fully met by any currently existing sites.

2. We shouldn't duplicate efforts or dilute the audience. Some effort needs to be made to search for already existing sites first, and if we find one, we drive traffic there and offer support there if needed to help their site grow.

3. After we identify a clear unmet need in the community but before we consider building a site for it, we need the commitment of a leadership team that can take responsibility for maintenance and content creation. Ideally we're looking for more than one person with a solid track record of years of serious participation and service in the community who has the time and energy to commit to creating and maintaining their specific vision and that site's unique culture.

4. We need to have people volunteering for the dev team who agree that this particular site's vision meets these important criteria, and that it is worth putting their time and energy into building.

5. There is nothing stopping anyone on the dev team from working on projects they personally feel are wonderful and worthwhile and then continuing to be involved in that community. However, it is crucial that these new sites NOT become an effective clone of Werelist. I will personally be keeping to a very strict 'hands off of the content' policy on all other sites. I will help and support the building, but the rules, the content and how it is run will be absolutely none of my business. No, we don't at all mind sharing staff with other sites if individuals feel called to serve in more than one place. We also don't want Werelist's culture to be an undue influence, since the point is diversity and difference, not sameness.

That doesn't mean doing the exact opposite of us on purpose, just for the sake of doing the opposite - that is also undue influence. Go right ahead and shamelessly steal from us what actually works for you, and ignore or tweak what doesn't work for you. It's all good.

6. To avoid saturating the 'market', I'm going to suggest that the dev team focus on one site at a time and work on driving traffic and supporting things there for awhile before moving on to the next suggestion. But that doesn't mean we can't discuss what the next suggestion ought to be, if anyone else believes that they are in touch with a substantial segment of the community who feels their needs are not ideally met by any currently existing site culture.

Those are my preliminary thoughts on the dev team. WVZ is our first test driver for the prototype vehicle we're proposing to build. I'd like to make it a nice one. Who's on board to help us build it?

Ashen
May 25th, 2012, 02:40 PM
So why don't the 'offline weres' just use this place, for instance, instead of making their own little site? On that note, if they're 'offline' in the first place, why are you considering making them their own forum? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose? If they've got their own site they aren't really an offline community anymore, are they?

I can't help but, once again, feel like this is some kind of little club for WVZ's special friends. Isn't it enough that he goes around pretending as if the 'offline community' is in some way superior to what we have here, that the people involved are more legitimate? This is totally ridiculous.

Because this place doesn't have the sense of 'home' that it once used to. And off-line in this sense doesn't mean we never go on the internet or don't want to go on the internet to talk to others, the internet is a great resource to find new people who feel the same as you do, and it can be a place for other weres/therians that are interested in taking it off the computer and being with others they have a forum more specifically for those needs.

Also it can be a place for those of us that have been around for years and are more comfortable using the term 'were' can go and feel more at home than in a large crowd of people that while they may share some similar experiences they are largely not the same as what we experience.. that's NOT saying that either group is better, just that they are different.

It's not trying to exclude people merely serve a different group of people's needs that werelist isn't able to serve due to the current social demographic of the site.

On the note of the offline community being more superior, I'm pretty positive NO ONE has said or implied that, but there is a sense of 'taking it to a different level' when you interact with other therians offline and feel a certain connection that isn't possible over virtual interaction. (think of 'different level' more as feeling something with a 6th or 7th sense than going 'up a level' or something) As for being more legitimate, no, however when you go to a howl or are around other therians/weres it becomes pretty obvious the difference between someone who is a therian because they 'identify' with an animal and the therians that 'are' the animal.

and I'm not trying to speak for anyone here these are just some of my thoughts on the subject. ...Brainstorming must be had. :)

WolfVanZandt
May 25th, 2012, 04:58 PM
I'm willing to help WVZ create and lead this site

Nay. I will be willing to help Ashen any way she needs, but She's the boss here. Ashen, you do have all my contact info, right?

WVZ is our first test driver for the prototype vehicle we're proposing to build.

The community it's designed to serve should be the first "test driver", not me alone. But it looks like it's present and accounted for so, I think everything's ready.

As for being more legitimate, no, however when you go to a howl or are around other therians/weres it becomes pretty obvious the difference between someone who is a therian because they 'identify' with an animal and the therians that 'are' the animal.

It's a different culture. I have never been an elitist. I've just wanted a place that "my culture" could use, and it hasn't been there.

Ashen
May 25th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Nay. I will be willing to help Ashen any way she needs, but She's the boss here. Ashen, you do have all my contact info, right?

Yep, I'll shoot you an e-mail tonight, unless you'd rather talk over the phone. Just let me know which is easier for you.

Lenowill
May 25th, 2012, 05:16 PM
Offline-oriented therians have different online needs than online-oriented therians for very mundane reasons as well. For instance, I can't really come on Werelist looking for counsel about how to handle chore and task scheduling in an all-therian household because most people here aren't familiar with the nuances involved when you get a bunch of shifty therians together for extended periods of time.

Ys'Rayl is asleep at the moment, but he told me before he went to bed that he is indeed willing to work on the technical aspects of such a site.

Savage
May 25th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Nay. I will be willing to help Ashen any way she needs, but She's the boss here.

The idea is to serve the segment of the Were community that you, Wolf, have identified and stated is in need of a home. Who does what isn't as relevant as whether it gets done.

Are you both on the same page about who your target demographic is, how to reach them, and how to best serve their needs?

Who else might have talents, resources, time and energy to help serve this specific community? Can you identify them and include them in the initial meetings and dialogue?

If you need a browser accessible chat room to hold a meeting in, once you have your team together, one can be arranged. You can just click, and you will be live chatting with the others in a private space no one else can access.

It's a different culture. I have never been an elitist. I've just wanted a place that "my culture" could use, and it hasn't been there.

So, we set about fixing this. But you can't duck all responsibility on this, Wolf - if you want it, you're going to be helping to build it. You will have lots of help and support every step of the way, but since you can specifically identify and are in touch with the segment of the community who needs this home, you are a crucial link in actually reaching them and in figuring out how to best serve their specific needs.

Lenowill
May 25th, 2012, 05:36 PM
No worries, Savage - we'll drag Wolf into this kicking and screaming if we have to. We know where he camps. ;-) *giggle*

Though I don't think he will scream too loudly ... as long as we don't try to force him to handle the tech end of things. That would be bad. :-(

Anyway, I can understand Wolf wanting this to be Ashen's baby primarily and generally managed by a younger generation, but I likewise agree with Savage that Wolf's social connections among therians, and his experience organizing therian events and tracking down information, are going to be a very important resource. So I am definitely in favor of him having an active role that he's comfortable with (even if it's largely behind-the-scenes if that's what he would prefer).

Ys'Rayl
May 25th, 2012, 08:00 PM
As Lenowill said, I'd be happy to help with the tech side of things, whether that's deploying an already-existing package or making something new.

I unfortunately can't recommend good hosting websites, not being very experienced in it. I'd offer to serve from our house, but our ISP here is monopolistic and so offers pitifully low bandwidth.

Savage
May 25th, 2012, 08:55 PM
I am going to recommend setting up an IRC meeting to coordinate current volunteers who want to actively work on the site.

I can't set it up or attend, due to the family situation, so I'm going to ask a tech savvy staff member to provide a link in PM to the folks who are interested in coordinating.

While we can certainly have a public palaver sometime down the road, right now I think it would be most constructive to get the actual volunteers talking directly to each other without interruption or outside input. So it won't be a public link. I don't yet know what chat software we'll use, but we'll try for browser compatible (just click and you're there) to allow participation by non tech savvy folks.

Elidolente
May 25th, 2012, 09:00 PM

People who may be primarily living in offline situations cannot connect and potentially extend their communities through online resources? If you haven't read Coyote's post, you might want to consider doing so. He originally created werelist as a place to connect, not to create an internal community, it merely eventually changed into that, which is fine and I don't have any problem with that. That wasn't bad then, and it wouldn't be bad now either, though. People are using online resources like facebook, email, and huge collection of other tools to stay connected and share ideas while also being primarily "Offline," and not delving too heavily into any internet community.

Isn't criticizing that you somehow acting like being in a dedicated online community is better? I personally think they're both just different variations on the same thing: networking. Some people do live in a more offline-therian community sort of situation, and sometimes, people from different ones may come together and have some things to say about that, in an environment they feel more comfortable in. I don't see how providing more choices in this way is ever a bad thing, it's neutral at worst and beneficial to those who would actually use the resource at best.

Also, if you didn't get the jist of this from the topic already: if this happens, it will probably be primarily developed by people who aren't Savage, he will just be providing a lot of (appreciated) support, why would you complain about what he did or didn't do if it isn't affecting you in any way?

Please, unless you have something productive to add to the topic, please don't respond. That's a simple courtesy. This topic is about starting this site, not to complain more about WVZ fruitlessly in a way that doesn't advance the project. If you want to respond to my post in particular, then feel free to PM me. But as it stands now, you continually want to feel offended at the idea that therians exist that don't seem to share the same kinds of experiences you have, and feel more comfortable with other people who do feel more of an actual kinship. That's not being elitist, it is not being selective, that's just people wanting to be around other people like them. If such people get enough steam in the direction of creating their own space so they don't irritate you so much, why complain? Any and all are welcome of course, just like werelist is open to everyone who can stay respectful and act like adults, but it's obviously still geared towards therians. This would just be a bit more specifically oriented, I suppose.

This isn't for WVZ's "Special friends," this is about dozens of therians I know personally, and then many they also know, who don't relate to the majority of the folk on werelist right now, and haven't for a long time. If I can provide for a community that will help these people, I will.

As for how I might..I know a decent amount about hosting and web design, so I'm going to be able to help there at least, and then probably stay on as a sort of help staff. I may be able to get some old friends from here to assist in the project too, provided they have the time.

P.S: Sorry if I came off too harshly, I just don't hold a lot of patience for people who come aboard a thread to criticize without it being constructive. I also apologize for any typos I missed.

Lenowill
May 25th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Savage,

That sounds like a good idea. Ashen, myself, Wolf, Coyote, Elidolente, and Ys'Rayl are getting a reply-all email discussion going as well, to hash out some of the preliminaries.

Naia
May 25th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Please PM me for the IRC link if you are interested in coordinating.

McWereFoxx
May 26th, 2012, 12:53 AM
I have payed staff and a server who I could loan to such an endeavor, at least after our project is moving properly. Right now they are building our web shows site. http://maxs-tail.com

That's live now, but not quite finished.

Savage
May 26th, 2012, 12:59 AM
Savage,

That sounds like a good idea. Ashen, myself, Wolf, Coyote, Elidolente, and Ys'Rayl are getting a reply-all email discussion going as well, to hash out some of the preliminaries.

Also feel free to grab a social group here and use it for your purposes. If you need extra permissions to do that, Coyote has carte blanche to fiddle with user permissions and suchlike if they don't exist already for you.

Ava
May 27th, 2012, 12:24 AM
To anyone thinking this is a 'club': Simply put, offline is in the 'real world' where therians or weres can talk/shift/exist in real space and real time. Online, as great as it is, is one great big mask - one can claim to be anything behind it. I think this project is wonderful, I wish I had something I could offer to do to help, but I can't think of anything ... I know little about creating websites.

Ashen
May 27th, 2012, 12:36 AM
To anyone thinking this is a 'club': Simply put, offline is in the 'real world' where therians or weres can talk/shift/exist in real space and real time. Online, as great as it is, is one great big mask - one can claim to be anything behind it. I think this project is wonderful, I wish I had something I could offer to do to help, but I can't think of anything ... I know little about creating websites.

Exactly --

and even just brainstorming thoughts and opinions of what you'd like to see are appreciated at this stage.

^_^

Coyote
May 27th, 2012, 05:12 AM
The NAACP isn't an elitist organization. Neither is the League of Women Voters, or the Polish American society. They're organizations intended to suit the needs, further the conversation, and provide services to groups of people with a shared identity.

The reason I almost never post here on Werelist isn't because I don't like the people, or think they're stupid or not as special as I am. It's because I don't relate to a large number of folks here. Stuff I'd want to talk about would probably seem weird, unecessary, or alien, and stuff lots of you would like to discuss and that you get a lot of satisfaction out of is the same to me.

I frequently run into people who like a certain sport, or certain kind of music, who will go on and on about it, because they're excited and enriched by those things. But I'm not, and while I can nod politely and smile, it doesn't mean I'm having an exciting or enriching time. It doesn't mean I think they're stupid or wrong or dumb for liking those things. I like performing statistical analysis, and studying the etymology of words, especially within languages sharing Indo-aryan or Levantine roots. That's probably as interesting to most people as it is to me when they talk about cars.

Coyote
May 27th, 2012, 05:24 AM
About "offline" weres:

Part of the reason some of us are "offline" is because we don't have a resource online where we can hang out together, collaborate, or share personal experiences where we feel comfortable doing so.

Part of it is sometimes because we have personal connections with other folks like us that don't rely on being online. We live near (or with) one another, communicate directly, and know one another personally. In some cases, we're friends, mates, housemates, or tribe-members with one another, if you will.

Heck, Zigo, the way you framed the question could almost be exhibit a. And no, I'm not trying to be snarky - I'm really not. But that you'd ask the question, framed in a way that I see as kind of negative, kind of tells some of the story. That kind of thing certainly doesn't make me feel welcome, or feel like I'd _be_ welcome.

Coyote
May 27th, 2012, 05:32 AM
Werelist is here for people who have a shared kind of experience - definable as similar and shared, but definitely broad and encompassing diversity.

Diversity's good. I like it. I'm a neophile, and a xenophile.

The purpose of creating other sites is to provide a way for people with particular, similar, shared experiences to interact with others who are like themselves.

There are many LGBT support groups and social groups out there. They serve Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, and other sorts of people as well as their families. That's great.

But while gay guys, lesbian women, bisexuals, and transgender people have certain experiences in common, they're not the same people. There's not a lot of GLBT dance clubs. There are, however, gay dance clubs, and lesbian bars. T people may not need a bar or club, but might like or need a support group or social forum for people who have gone through, or are going through, the same things. Having different fora or services to serve those _specific_ needs doesn't imply that everyone else sucks.

I have lots of TG friends. But I'm not TG. Even though I try to understand and learn about what TG folks go through, so I can be sensitive and supporting, I'd be talking out my ass if I pretended I understood or could relate to their experiences better than another TG person. I wouldn't ask them to use the same bathroom as me just because that bathroom is intended for someone who might have the same tackle downstairs.

terrorwolf
May 27th, 2012, 12:32 PM
I will gladly provide hosting services via Weresource's server.

Mobius
May 27th, 2012, 04:05 PM
I'd love to help somehow, although I'm not comfortable with meeting too many other therians yet if that's what it comes down to. Even if I'm just the first regular member on the site, that's fine with me.

I'm just a little busy recently. New job, Lindiel's grandma moved nearby, learning to be a docent, writing for story stuff... on and on. So I can't help much, but I will wherever I can.

I'm realizing lately that my contented feelings with just Werelist as my online community is wearing off and I'm feeling restless. Not that I want to leave entirely, but a lot of my older friends have gone, and maybe this site is what brings 'em back? Dunno. But I'll try it.

Lanina
May 27th, 2012, 06:33 PM
Not sure if this is relevant, but http://gatherings.werelibrary.org/ is for listing howls and other gatherings.

To be honest, most of the topics in Barn Building have gone over my head. Perhaps it's because I'm tired and English isn't my first language, but I have this feeling that I am missing something...

WolfVanZandt
May 27th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Actually, I see no reason why the Werelist shouldn't still serve as a central hub for planning gatherings. I don't know a person on this forum I wouldn't welcome at the SEHowl and wouldn't, in fact, love to see there. Further, I would suggest that each Howl have it's own planning hub, or if they are for more-or-less the same group of people, share a planning hub. For instance, I have a thread here and I use a YahooGroup so that people who are definitely planning to attend can fine tune their plans together. The YahooGroup requires an invitation, but that simply provides a layer of safety for people arranging pickups, shared rides, etc. And I provide some general information on my website. I'm quite satisfied with what I have.

I also open my Group to others planning Howls in the Southeast.

One of the needs for offline interaction is that some of the things that are of central importance to these Weres are things that don't submit well to words. You can't easily talk about them. And they are certainly things that can't be debated. Once Weres come together and grow in common experience, then they understand what other Weres are talking about when they talk about "those things" but the basis of common experience is necessary.

A scientific basis is almost worthless when dealing with chaos. Science understands that chaotic processes offer envelopes beyond which prediction and manipulation fail. Weres can process chaos, we can manipulate it effectively without incurring "unexpected outcomes". We thrive on chaos because we can transform it into order. It's not something that can be verbally communicated but it's something that we commonly understand. And things like that develop when Weres get together in real life. Shamanism is part of the way of seeing our way through the chaos. It's a subjective part of reality and, although each shaman sees each shared experience differently, they know intuitively that it was the same experience and can talk about it only because it was shared. There's too much in these Weres' lives that can't be communicated using words. Even if we could talk about chaos and shamanism on a forum like this without being barraged by the "prove it" crowd, we wouldn't be able to talk about it without the real life shared experiences.

Also, there are some things that we need at least partial answers to and can't wait for solid research to give us answers - that could take for ever. We're willing to rely on experience to find answers to health issues, for instance.

The board we want isn't just to talk about things but is also to build on and connect on the basis of shared experiences.

House of Chimeras
May 28th, 2012, 03:34 PM
We’re not extremely tech savvy so we can’t say we can help with created a forum or website of any sort in that manner; however, what we have gotten internet savvy over is finding backdoors to old websites that are now down.

So if for whatever reason you might want information from any of the world websites to use a resources or for ideas or whatnot more than likely we can find it or we have already found it. Links to the WereWeb, Were.Net, Shifters.org, The Werebeast Support Page, The Therianthropic Resource, etc we can find. Getting things from the old Werelist forums has proven tricky and limited but other information from there might be doable if anyone would like to have that at their disposal.

Ashen
May 31st, 2012, 12:00 PM
We’re not extremely tech savvy so we can’t say we can help with created a forum or website of any sort in that manner; however, what we have gotten internet savvy over is finding backdoors to old websites that are now down.

So if for whatever reason you might want information from any of the world websites to use a resources or for ideas or whatnot more than likely we can find it or we have already found it. Links to the WereWeb, Were.Net, Shifters.org, The Werebeast Support Page, The Therianthropic Resource, etc we can find. Getting things from the old Werelist forums has proven tricky and limited but other information from there might be doable if anyone would like to have that at their disposal.

Earth Listener do you have live links to the articles that were on wereweb or some of the conversations on shifters or werebeast support page? The site I'm kinda 'modeling' things after the Werebeast Support Page since that's the first forum I really felt at home at.. but I'd love to skim through the articles on the sites but most of the time when I search for them I end out finding the dead links that bring me to the main page but after that it's dead links.

House of Chimeras
May 31st, 2012, 12:43 PM
Earth Listener do you have live links to the articles that were on wereweb or some of the conversations on shifters or werebeast support page? The site I'm kinda 'modeling' things after the Werebeast Support Page since that's the first forum I really felt at home at.. but I'd love to skim through the articles on the sites but most of the time when I search for them I end out finding the dead links that bring me to the main page but after that it's dead links.
The Werebeast Support Page Home Page (http://web.archive.org/web/20090902211257/http://geocities.com/lady_shadowmyst/TWSP/) - Much of the site was archived rather well actually though a few of the side articles were not; however, some of their side articles such as “Virutal Were VS The Practicing Were” (http://web.archive.org/web/20090809222357/http://geocities.com/lady_shadowmyst/TWSP/virtual.html) (which actually probably rather keen on what you are trying to hit with this website in progress) is still about. The face of the Werebeast Support Page was archived (http://web.archive.org/web/20040212154814/http://www.shadowsden.org/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi) it doesn’t seems to have captured any of the sub forums at all. (The old captures of the Werelist forum also have this problem in most places which is a shame and a pain.)

The Wereweb (http://web.archive.org/web/20100608022011/http://www.swampfox.demon.co.uk/utlah/) as a whole is still in fairly good archived condition. Basically everything is there from the EuroHowl stuff (minus the photographs which were not archived), to the articles, to the Werecard, etc.

Shifters.org is tricky because so much has changed with it over the years of the captures done. The 2003 Shifters.org’s Essay page works (http://web.archive.org/web/20030910213747/http://www.therianthropy.org/so/shifting/essays.asp) as do the essays on there. The 2003 Shifters.org Newbie’s Guide works through here (http://web.archive.org/web/20050429150325/http://www.therianthropy.org/so/newbies/) and most of the links and essays through there work. The 2003 Shifters.org page on Therianthropy itself and that information is tricky to get too so is the page to there (http://web.archive.org/web/20031224080840/http://www.therianthropy.org/so/therianthropy/). On there both the “Types of Were” and “Essays” (which are different essays from the link above!) work. The archived link to the Awareness forums (pre-move over to therianthropy.org) from Shifters.og does work (http://web.archive.org/web/20030619081204/http://www.therianthropy.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl) but because you had to sign in to see the forums nothing can be seen. (Another fooy there.)

Other parts of Shifters.org -- 2006 Essays page ( http://web.archive.org/web/20060115110252/http://www.therianthropy.org/SO/essays.htm)(some essays not seen on other capture and some essays still work.

Were.net anyone? Here (http://web.archive.org/web/20010709153517/http://www.were.net/therianthropy/) is their old 2001 Therianthropy page[/url] (The Therianthropy Overview and the user Thoughts work). Plus the Were.net’s essay on The History of the online Werecommunity (http://web.archive.org/web/20010620111439/http://www.were.net/foundation.shtml) is captured.

Its not much, but maybe its something. Any other websites?

Ashen
May 31st, 2012, 01:02 PM
Thanks.. once I get through those I'll see if there are any others. I've already got the shifter's handbook and the virtual were vs practicing were saved on my computer. :)

Savage
May 31st, 2012, 01:12 PM
Whatever you find in the Library here of mine, you may freely have if it is of use to you.

This one may suit your site best. http://www.werelist.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23710 But you can ransack any of them by me. Stuff by other people, ask them individually.

WolfVanZandt
May 31st, 2012, 06:20 PM
Actually, I've given Leno some material from the old WereNet, if Jakkal doesn't mind him using it - ummmmm, it's in PDF format, though. It would be nice to have the old Foundation's Edge post up, though - that's a classic.

Natsilani
May 31st, 2012, 06:40 PM
I know nothing about computers...but I can be a cheerleader!

"4,5,6,7
We're gonna build a werefolk heaven!
We'll work together, not by ourselves!"

YAY! :D

Savage
June 11th, 2012, 07:10 AM
I am actually fairly skilled at graphic manipulation and layout, so if banners, etc, are needed, I can be called on. I can do text and color and print type layouts, as well as photomanipulation, but I can not draw or create art, so that would need to be provided.

I'm hoping other volunteers step forward, but if you need something slammed out and you can give me color and image samples and sizes of the desired images, I can manage.

elinox
June 11th, 2012, 01:01 PM
I am actually fairly skilled at graphic manipulation and layout, so if banners, etc, are needed, I can be called on. I can do text and color and print type layouts, as well as photomanipulation, but I can not draw or create art, so that would need to be provided.

I'm hoping other volunteers step forward, but if you need something slammed out and you can give me color and image samples and sizes of the desired images, I can manage.

I can offer digital graphics as well. My specialty lies in banners, but I can do site icons as well. If I cannot compile what you're looking for via photomanip/digital editing, I can draw something simple for you instead.

Talos
June 13th, 2012, 04:13 PM
This seems pretty interesting, I don't think I have anything to contribute, I could give it a shout-out on the podcast when it's finished if you want though. I'll be interested in this when it's finished, it sounds like a good project and like somthing the community needs so I wish you all the best and am looking forward to joining the site once it is up and running.

Wolfsnake
August 23rd, 2012, 11:07 PM
I'm interested to see where this goes. I can't do much web-development wise, but if you want art I can paint some, realistic or Pacific Northwest lineform.

Ashen
August 26th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Pacific Northwest lineform? I'm not familiar.. although I do need some art work done.

Wolfsnake
August 26th, 2012, 09:08 PM
If you look at my dA I've got a few examples (http://sthenadrakaina.deviantart.com/gallery/24868817). If you go back to the main gallery you can see my painting work as well if you are interested in more realistic art.

Marwolf
October 4th, 2012, 10:56 AM
So.. what is the status of the project? Have we decided to stick with werelist for now?

TopBrass
October 4th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Construction of the site is ongoing. You could check out the details here (http://www.werelist.net/forums/group.php?groupid=43).

Nai-Yo Mie
October 15th, 2012, 06:15 PM
If anymore help is needed, I will be glad to.

Coyote
December 7th, 2012, 10:51 PM
As is probably apparent from my long (and inexcusable silence), life has intervened, and I can't devote the time to the site building I had hoped to.

I would like to suggest that folks consider the new Google Plus communities feature as at least a partial solution.