PDA

View Full Version : Identify unmet needs in the community

Savage
May 25th, 2012, 06:27 PM
If you are in touch with a segment of the community that has needs that are not being well met on any existing site, let's brainstorm what those needs are and how to identify and reach that segment of the community.

If you see someone list an unmet need or a community that they don't think has a good home, and you know a site that could meet that need or that is already trying to be a home for that community, please post that site here also.

cheetah
May 25th, 2012, 08:34 PM
A site specifically oriented towards therians having to deal with nasty stuff because of their status as therians. It might not be necessary to create a separate site, though, especially because hte group of people involved would be fairly small.

Savage
May 25th, 2012, 08:49 PM
A site specifically oriented towards therians having to deal with nasty stuff because of their status as therians. It might not be necessary to create a separate site, though, especially because hte group of people involved would be fairly small.

One crucial thing to identify is why that need can't get met on an existing site.

I agree that Werelist can't very easily be a small, focused support group, but we do have a Social Group function that might actually serve that need without requiring that we create additional resources. Social groups are small, independently administered by group leaders, and can be set to private so they effectively function separately from the site at large.

The only stuff we care about setting rules about in the Social Groups area is that people can not use our server to do illegal things that would expose us to legal risk and liability. Beyond that, your group your rules.

Is this need possible to meet with a therian support group that utilizes this hub's existing "create a group" feature, or not? If not, why not? If so, what steps would need to be taken to best support that particular need in the social group format?

cheetah
May 25th, 2012, 09:28 PM
I truthfully don't know if it would work using a social group or not.

Social groups often go months without being checked on, due to their status as groups within groups. The worst case scenario is that someone would feel that the silence was a condemnation, as they saw very active people not giving any acknowledgement.

My feelings as to whether a separate group is needed are rather mixed, so I shall drop the subject for now.

Savage
May 25th, 2012, 09:50 PM
I truthfully don't know if it would work using a social group or not.

Nobody will unless it's tried. Feel free - the rent is pretty cheap. If that doesn't in fact work out very well, it can certainly be revisited.

Social groups often go months without being checked on, due to their status as groups within groups. The worst case scenario is that someone would feel that the silence was a condemnation, as they saw very active people not giving any acknowledgement.

I've seen entire therian sites go in that direction, also. Building intentional community is *hard*, and it takes a lot of work to set up and maintain. It is not likely to be any easier to inspire people to join and participate on a separate site, and it may even be more difficult.

Having the use of a pre-existing structure (like our social groups) that is already designed to accommodate a small, intimate, semi-private group makes the work a little less. So it's a no-investment startup, and you can focus all of your efforts on getting people to join and post rather than on building a new structure.

Or, you can use the pre-existing one to get it started and determine the level of need and participation, and if it grows beyond what a small sub-site group can handle, you already have lots of people and resources on board to help make it larger.

cheetah
May 25th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Currently in the process of being formed.

Akai
May 25th, 2012, 10:14 PM
There is a need for non-English speaking therians being unable to understand most of what's written. I'm not sure how it's being met, aside from I believe Project Shift has their site translated in Spanish, if I recall correctly.

Savage
May 25th, 2012, 10:44 PM
There is a need for non-English speaking therians being unable to understand most of what's written. I'm not sure how it's being met

Mostly by Google Translate (http://translate.google.com/).

It would indeed be very useful to compile some resources for therianthropy in various languages. That sounds like a worthwhile project to devote community resources to, but I'm thinking it could be best be hosted by one or more larger sites or hubs.

Actually this is the kind of project we'd benefit by pooling resources with related communities such as Otherkin and vamps. Good translators who can clean up Google Translate's basic output are pretty scarce on the ground, and we'd do better searching wider afield for them, and cooperating between communities.

Rail Aybara
May 26th, 2012, 12:55 AM
Mostly by Google Translate (http://translate.google.com/).

It would indeed be very useful to compile some resources for therianthropy in various languages. That sounds like a worthwhile project to devote community resources to, but I'm thinking it could be best be hosted by one or more larger sites or hubs.

Actually this is the kind of project we'd benefit by pooling resources with related communities such as Otherkin and vamps. Good translators who can clean up Google Translate's basic output are pretty scarce on the ground, and we'd do better searching wider afield for them, and cooperating between communities.

I don't know exactly what you are looking for, but I could help out with the translating thing. With spanish at least.
-Rail

Savage
May 26th, 2012, 02:05 AM
That's an excellent resource.

A translated articles project is a pretty good candidate for the next "let's work on this" proposal.

I'm not sure it needs its own site, or that we'll have enough people interested and able to translate in order to get enough translated material. But thank you, Rail Aybara, for a potentially very useful offer of assistance.

Anyone feel inspired to take advantage of it for site building? I don't mind at all if anything I've written is used for such things, and I'm sure most other folks won't either, if you ask them. So there's plenty of material out there to start working with translating, and it could make a very good site even if it were just in Spanish.

EDIT: Actually if there is already a resource in Spanish, Rail, you may be able to best serve by volunteering with them to help expand their existing offerings, using their existing platform. :)

WolfVanZandt
May 26th, 2012, 03:41 AM
O.o

Cheetah's idea is really good, and there may be a lot more nastiness than you think. I've had several instances where someone called me saying, "I have this legal problem and I'm afraid that they'll use my therianthropy against me. I'm always willing to help but it would be really difficult for me to pick up and take a trip to, say, Seattle, Washington, to appear as an expert witness in a legal case. If we had Therians/Weres scattered around that would be willing to advocate for individual Therians/Weres, there could be some sort of referral resource or something.

I only know of a small handful of people willing to advocate for Therians right now......we need to know if there's more and to help them announce their availability.

Rail Aybara
May 26th, 2012, 12:00 PM
That's an excellent resource.

A translated articles project is a pretty good candidate for the next "let's work on this" proposal.

I'm not sure it needs its own site, or that we'll have enough people interested and able to translate in order to get enough translated material. But thank you, Rail Aybara, for a potentially very useful offer of assistance.

Anyone feel inspired to take advantage of it for site building? I don't mind at all if anything I've written is used for such things, and I'm sure most other folks won't either, if you ask them. So there's plenty of material out there to start working with translating, and it could make a very good site even if it were just in Spanish.

Just let me know where to start if you need me, since there is a lot of material on this site. Haha.
I've been very busy lately, but if you put me in the right direction I would be happy to translate for you guys.
-Rail

Savage
May 26th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Cheetah's idea is really good, and there may be a lot more nastiness than you think. I've had several instances where someone called me saying, "I have this legal problem and I'm afraid that they'll use my therianthropy against me. I'm always willing to help but it would be really difficult for me to pick up and take a trip to, say, Seattle, Washington, to appear as an expert witness in a legal case. If we had Therians/Weres scattered around that would be willing to advocate for individual Therians/Weres, there could be some sort of referral resource or something.

THAT kind of nastiness....legal resources for our community.

Oh yeah. High potential here for usefulness and no real maintenance needed, this would be more of a link and FAQ collection.

Whoever wants to coordinate this, I would recommend contacting Terrorwolf and Merticus. Weresource seems a good candidate to host this kind of static FAQ and link collection of resources, or one of Merticus' sites. But, ask them - I can't speak for them, only recommend them as knowledgable.

Minutes from leaving now. I'll be back when I can be.

cheetah
May 26th, 2012, 12:39 PM
O.o

I only know of a small handful of people willing to advocate for Therians right now......we need to know if there's more and to help them announce their availability.

I might be a minor in many areas and therefore unable to appear as an expert witness, but I think any project that was a support group could use that resource. And not all advocacy is offline.

The two of us are involved in different parts of the community, both parts of which have an interest in seeing this happen, as well as different resources to contribute. And I am interested in helping to coordinate something like that--and I have much of the summer free.

Savage
May 26th, 2012, 01:22 PM
I think it's awesome folks are being inspired to do some amazingly neat stuff that has a chance of substantially helping other people in our community. We all have a chance to 'pay it forward' to someone who might really need it.

I am not the boss of anyone, and anyone who feels really inspired can of course start doing anything they want, anything at all they feel personally excited about. And that's actually pretty awesome. I do think that we will accomplish MUCH more working in coordination, barn raising style, where we all put our hands together first on one barn and then go raise the next barn. We risk scattering our resources and leaving a whole bunch of barns unfinished if we don't focus.

The first 'test drive' is building a Were haven of sorts, focused on keeping the offline Howler's community in touch, and on reviving something of the 'look and feel' of the historical community. Let's definitely leave some room to raise that barn, in addition to planning for more down the road.

And of course side projects taken up by individuals are still pretty damn cool, so please feel free.

terrorwolf
May 26th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Legal aspects and therianthropy is NOT something to explore over the internet honestly. There are numerous reasons -- Frankly if someone calls you as an expert witness; be very skeptical of the preceedings.

Though a therian obumsman may be an excellent resource.

WolfVanZandt
May 26th, 2012, 01:36 PM
And not all advocacy is offline.

Absolutely.

Wow, Savage! You're really coming through for this. Thanks. One of your biggest assets in the past has been your energy and that's a premium.

terrorwolf
May 26th, 2012, 01:40 PM
WVZ, sorry I missed that.
Those people who are doing that are taking a big risk so more power to them!

House of Chimeras
May 26th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I really like the idea of having something more set-up for people who are having issues or problems in their life in one form or another. For any number of issues or troubles.

Also, having something set-up for people to be able to help other therians in there rough area would a dream worth aiming for in the future. Though I agree with Savage that we shouldn’t go running into too many different directions without laying more ground work and foundation.

WolfVanZandt
May 26th, 2012, 05:56 PM
My usual position is, "Talk to your lawyer. If they think I can be of any help, I'll come." In the past, I've provided references and the court seems to have considered them sufficient. I'm pleased to see that therianthropy doesn't seem to be considered relevant in legal proceedings. It doesn't hurt to have resources that we can provide for the court, though.

Unless we're lawyers, we're not lawyers and we should never imitate them.

Savage
May 27th, 2012, 01:00 AM
I think probably the best we could do, for legal liability reasons, are some very simple, basic FAQ's and advice on things like, "What should you do to cover your legal basis if you get into X kind of trouble for being a therian?"

Or possibly archives of incidents and how they ended up going through the judicial system. Merticus is a *very* good resource for this. It may be worth contacting him to see if anything is in existence already for the vampire community, because if it is, we can probably ask nicely and borrow/adapt what they have got already. No sense in re-inventing the wheel.

I'd tend to agree with Terrorwolf that it's a risky application, so I'd suggest we cool the jets on it for now and maybe re-think it if we get someone with specifically good legal knowledge on board who feels they can back such a project and realistically achieve something that would be at all helpful.

Savage
May 27th, 2012, 01:03 AM
Just let me know where to start if you need me, since there is a lot of material on this site. Haha.
I've been very busy lately, but if you put me in the right direction I would be happy to translate for you guys.
-Rail

It would be pretty cool if you could translate any stuff you found here that you felt personally inspired to share, and put it on Project Shift where people already know to look for Spanish material.

Obviously, ask first. But you have blanket permission to use anything of mine.

Merticus
May 27th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Feel free to inquire with me directly - although the vampire community deals with legal, media, fundamentalism, and "insane people identifying as vampires" to a far greater degree than that of the TC (count yourselves fortunate if you only deal with widespread negative fallout in the TC once or perhaps twice a year).

On an unrelated matter, I'm also spearheading an international translation project initiative for the vampire community starting with core foundational and safety documents and later branching into more specialized articles.

Reference:

http://www.veritasvosliberabit.com/articles.html

http://www.veritasvosliberabit.com/articles/english.html
(See Drop Down Menu For Other Languages - Native/Human Translations)

*Still in process throughout 2012. Approximately 40-45% completed.

Article On Project: https://savampyrenews.wordpress.com/2012/04/23/international-translation-effort-gains-momentum/

Ava
May 27th, 2012, 10:46 PM
Identifying unmet needs: What about reaching out to *solitary* weres/therians who may have little-to-no interest in posting on or keeping up with a message board or online group, but who do have an *offline* interest in the community at large? Perhaps they don't feel a need to be part of a pack ( am thinking some cats here *looks at picture above her post lol* ), but who still have a valid and legitimate desire to see the community become stronger? What about a website allowing these folks to sign up for some sort of 1 or 2 page *paper* mailing, perhaps mailed quarterly or twice a year, listing upcoming or completed howls, articles of interest, or contact info for some sort of ( as someone else suggested ) were/therian ombudsman (sp?). I just think it'd be a good way of including RL solitary weres in a greater community, if they were interested. Dunno, just an idea. -Ava ( who would volunteer to help / organize / fund some of this )

WolfVanZandt
May 28th, 2012, 01:11 AM
You mean a Were newsletter.

Is there anyone that stays up to date with the whole community and would have the time to compile the posts? Or, maybe it could work like a newspaper and have people throughout the community submitting items of interest.

If we could figure out how to make it work, it wouldn't be a bad idea for everyone in the communities.

cheetah
May 28th, 2012, 11:54 AM
I might be able to help with something like that.

Savage
May 28th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Given the costs associated with mailing, could the same not be accomplished with a non interactive email newsletter?

House of Chimeras
May 28th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I also like the idea of maybe a way to send out information to those who are not active or care to lurk online. (I personally know a few therians like that myself.) Of course, the difficulty would be to get in contact with such people if they are not active online in the first place though. Though I do think for security reasons (both for the sender and the receiver) an email mailing list might be more effective for something like that.

WolfVanZandt
May 28th, 2012, 02:47 PM
I was actually thinking about an e-newsletter. Most of the offline Weres I know are online to the extent that, although they pretty much ignore the forums, they do go to the Internet for news and other resources. The trick, then, would be to get the information to them that a Therian/Were newsletter is available. That might be accomplished by an advertisement campaign.

Sephiroth-ac
May 28th, 2012, 06:38 PM
Forgive if I'm completely wrong here but, wasn't the Therian News Network trying to do the same thing once upon a time? I'm just thinking if some collaboration with them may prove to be useful in this venture.

WolfVanZandt
May 28th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Great idea! This was the forum:

http://www.werelist.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30284

The link to the website didn't go anywhere. Maybe they'd be interested in another go. It looks like they were aiming a little broader than what we're thinking but maybe something can be worked out.

cheetah
May 31st, 2012, 10:42 AM
The support group is up (http://www.werelist.net/forums/group.php?groupid=42).

Savage
May 31st, 2012, 01:17 PM
Okay. You've got a therian support group up, and Ashen has the preliminary discussion group up for the new site as well. Awesome.

Now comes the tricky part. You have got to put some content up in there, throw out some discussion seeds, and then you have got to start publicizing it. Once you have some content in there, and feel free to borrow anything at all that I have ever written if it will help, let's brainstorm going on a publicity drive to let the community know it exists.

I'm also going to recommend both groups tap Coyote for some of his old content, as that's a low-cost investment for him, and has the potential for attracting more people.

yourdeer
June 7th, 2012, 08:44 PM
I'm not sure how widely this would be needed, but it did occur to me today in trying to read some of the community members' extensive writing and essays:
Copy-editors could be really, really useful. Especially in an online community, where almost all communication is written, having people on hand to edit extensive writings for clarity would be helpful. Some of my biggest struggle with reading within the community is that a lot of the work is quite raw, and things like awkward syntax and punctuation or excessive wordiness make it hard to understand a message, no matter how important it is.
I'd volunteer myself for this, but I know someone who can do it much better, as she is studying to be a copy-editor professionally, but she'd probably not do it for free. I would recommend her for anyone who's seeking editing for a more serious endeavor, though.

Seraphyna
June 7th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I'm always up for editing. I almost had an english minor in college and worked at the writing center editing papers and so forth.

Anyway, as for the topic at hand, social groups should be more active dangit lol. Not sure how to go about accomplishing that. The other needs I'm not having met aren't really anything the community can accomplish short of recruiting other adopted otherkin/therians :\

Sephiroth-ac
June 7th, 2012, 09:53 PM
I can understand the idea of having copy-editors available, I'm not in any way professional but I would be more than happy to lend a hand to the endeavour. I am wondering how this could be implemented, though, beyond the usual misspell or bad code problems... when it comes to trying to edit for clarity, since the English language, when not used clearly, leaves massive gaps for interpretation, I'm not sure how we'd be able to edit stuff correctly without a lot of liaising with the original poster.
Or were you not meaning quite to that extent?
I obviously don't have any authority here, I'm just asking quick questions as they came to me.

herringbone
June 7th, 2012, 10:15 PM
I can understand the idea of having copy-editors available, I'm not in any way professional but I would be more than happy to lend a hand to the endeavour. I am wondering how this could be implemented, though, beyond the usual misspell or bad code problems... when it comes to trying to edit for clarity, since the English language, when not used clearly, leaves massive gaps for interpretation, I'm not sure how we'd be able to edit stuff correctly without a lot of liaising with the original poster.
I obviously don't have any authority here, I'm just asking quick questions as they came to me.

When we've talked about it, we meant to that extent and primarily for essays. I stopped writing because I realized I lacked a lot of clarity and skill. Now that I have someone as a resource for copy editing who is fine handling this subject matter I have a few written projects in the works. It is a good idea if people are considering translating to other languages or getting published.

WolfVanZandt
June 8th, 2012, 12:04 AM
The United Way has a survey they use to determine community needs. It's basically an extensive list of all the things a community needs to be self sufficient. I'll have it in Spreadsheet form pretty soon and will be glad to share it with any interested parties.

yourdeer
June 10th, 2012, 10:53 AM

Weird, I replied to this yesterday but it never processed, I guess!
Anyway - yes, I think involvement of the original poster would be very important indeed. Working without them to edit their work would be questionable, ethically ( I think), and would probably create more confusion than it solved.
What I mean to propose is a source for people who want their work polished up externally - it would be on the original writer to say, "Hey, I want this fixed up so it communicates better!"

sphynxcatvp
July 2nd, 2012, 02:33 PM
If needed, I can do some copy-editing as well. Feel free to poke me directly, especially if I haven't checked the board in a while - the IM's go to my email, which I do check daily.

Meirya
July 10th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Weird, I replied to this yesterday but it never processed, I guess!
Anyway - yes, I think involvement of the original poster would be very important indeed. Working without them to edit their work would be questionable, ethically ( I think), and would probably create more confusion than it solved.
What I mean to propose is a source for people who want their work polished up externally - it would be on the original writer to say, "Hey, I want this fixed up so it communicates better!"

Basically like a beta reading network, but for essays instead of fanfic? The fandom community has this sort of thing down to a science; it's considered ideal to have someone beta your story before posting it. If we got that same sort of norm in place for essays and articles on otherkin and therianthropy, that would be really awesome.

In fandom, typically people post on community sites (ie, LJ comms) requesting a beta reader. There are also resources for finding beta readers or listing your availability as a beta reader at archive sites like fanfiction.net. Can we copy that model somehow?

I know I'd really appreciate such a resource. When I want feedback or revision assistance with articles, mostly I just post them on my Dreamwidth/Livejournal first and ask people there, which is... not exactly in-depth editing, heh!

I rather enjoy beta reading/copy editing and would be up for volunteering, as well.

cheetah
July 10th, 2012, 12:53 PM
That would be nice. And useful; I sometimes try the same thing but frequently I don't get much critical feedback.

yourdeer
July 10th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Basically like a beta reading network, but for essays instead of fanfic? The fandom community has this sort of thing down to a science; it's considered ideal to have someone beta your story before posting it. If we got that same sort of norm in place for essays and articles on otherkin and therianthropy, that would be really awesome.

In fandom, typically people post on community sites (ie, LJ comms) requesting a beta reader. There are also resources for finding beta readers or listing your availability as a beta reader at archive sites like fanfiction.net. Can we copy that model somehow?

I know I'd really appreciate such a resource. When I want feedback or revision assistance with articles, mostly I just post them on my Dreamwidth/Livejournal first and ask people there, which is... not exactly in-depth editing, heh!

I rather enjoy beta reading/copy editing and would be up for volunteering, as well.

That sounds perfect! Wow. Yes. How can we go about organizing that as an available resource?

Meirya
July 12th, 2012, 09:52 AM
That sounds perfect! Wow. Yes. How can we go about organizing that as an available resource?

I think a forum section or LJ/DW community would be ideal. It needs to be something where people can post requests for beta readers, and where beta readers can post availabilities. I don't think it'd work so well if it required one or two people to maintain a list - there's a lag time there and it'd be difficult to maintain the frequent changes.

Savage
July 12th, 2012, 04:20 PM
I think a forum section or LJ/DW community would be ideal. It needs to be something where people can post requests for beta readers, and where beta readers can post availabilities. I don't think it'd work so well if it required one or two people to maintain a list - there's a lag time there and it'd be difficult to maintain the frequent changes.

We do have a Writer's Workshop here that can be used, though a large part of its purpose is ESL volunteer tutoring as well as volunteer proofreading. PM any staffer for an invite as it's invite only.

Meirya
July 22nd, 2012, 04:01 PM
Just a thought - I made other-writings on DW and LJ a while back but they haven't gotten any real use... I could easily retool them for people to use to find beta readers and/or volunteer for such, if that works for folks?

elinox
July 23rd, 2012, 11:37 AM
Just a thought - I made other-writings on DW and LJ a while back but they haven't gotten any real use... I could easily retool them for people to use to find beta readers and/or volunteer for such, if that works for folks?

Sounds good, do you have a link?

EDIT: Nevermind, I think I found it. This (http://other-writings.livejournal.com/profile) is it, correct?

KorolKhaysen
August 8th, 2012, 07:37 PM
There is a Otherkin Spanish Site you could work with. "Otherkin Hispano" is the name of the site. They probably will look forward into translating the stuff you throw at them and it's also the most influential hispanic site related to theriantropy.
If I'm not wrong the URL is "www.otherkin-hispano.foroactivo.com". You should try to contact "Golden Goddess", the site owner. She is usually online and she tends to reply quickly.
They have a great otherkin database so you are likely going to find worthy stuff..

I apologize for not offering myself to help you with translation. I'm dip in a dark moment and my mood is not good enought to keep on a project.

KorolKhaysen
August 8th, 2012, 08:07 PM
What about a website (or whatever) aiming to promote true friendship? That's what I've been looking for since I started using internet and as far I only got one true friend, wich I met accidentally in Youtube.

There is people (like me) who usually doesn't feel to belong to ANY community for unknown reasons (as my case). May be if I was able to find a place filled with people with the same goal than me... people willing to relate and meet others above everything...

I would like at someone would ever ask something about me... I've met hundreds of people on internet and the ones who at least asked my name were just a few.

A unconditional friend at your side is the best cure for everything.

ShadowWalker
February 26th, 2013, 03:58 AM
Personally, the thing I found lacking in the community when I first joined was any kind of community focused on the 'youth'. And although that's not best for our image necessarily, a lot of younger therians do end up on cyberpacks and the like, which typically aren't the best places for people starting out. It's true that most therians will move onto larger sites as they get older, if they stick with it, but sometimes you do need help, or assistance, or just someone to listen to you when you're going through the awkward teenage years combined with therianthropy and species dysphoria. I am aware that this is probably available through your groups, it was more that large forums seemed too intimidating, I never felt like anybody wanted to listen, or that problems weren't anything that hadn't already been discussed a million times before. I think this is why teenagers tend to flock to cyberpacks in hundreds, there's something of a 'say what you want' atmosphere which admittedly, wouldn't suit larger communities and also wouldn't give a good impression of us to the outside world, but it did help me a lot. I don't think I really have any ideas how it could be remedied, aside from good, strong guidance within those cyberpacks. There's an allure to them which tends to draw posers, a lot of them advocate physical shifting and openly discuss topics which would be ridiculed and shut down on other sites (The 'I'm a magical shapeshifting into whatever I want vampire-werewolf-demon and have been hunted by therian hunters who shot at me and physically shift in my sleep' topics are suprisingly common and suprisingly allowed.)

I'd be really interested in getting experienced beta readers, considering that I'm currently using beta readers at the moment.

And also, for someone who isn't involved in the offline community like myself, I'd really appreciate a mailing list of updates in the community, meetups round the world and the like. I know it's possible to find out these things online, but sometimes it's weeks or months before I hear of the latest news, and I still have no idea if EuroHowl runs anymore (does it?).

Again, personally I'd find it really useful if there was a single resource detailing all of the audio/visual appearances of therians in the media, primarily radio, although I suppose there are a few clips too. Not necessarily on YouTube, but on a similar file sharing or video sharing site, under one account. Even a resource somewhere linking to downloads of media would be useful, or easier than hunting about, although I suppose sometimes it's preferred for people to look about themselves. Just an idea.