PDA

View Full Version : Anyone?

Ashen
September 27th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Hey guys, since the most recent news of the zigzag production I thought it was time to start up talk on Project Pawprint and see if we can continue ideas and finding resources to make this happen. ...I really don't want to wait for the media to release a big production of otherkin/therians that doesn't have respectable therians in the editing process. With the right introduction to mainstream society I would much rather see us listed with other forms of spirituality or a transgender, or autism than have some media production like the already failed ones and this new zigzag thing that I feel would do a horrible job, especially with how many younger kids are so caught up in the teen werewolf thing that would jump at the chance to represent therians.

basics we would need are discussed in ways in this forum, I don't really know anything about filming other than general point and shoot and basic editing, but we need to know if people are still interested in being involved and how their resources have changed in the last year or however long it's been since this was discussed. And if anyone is in school for film or media or something that would be a big help.

*shrugs* let's get this idea going again before it's too late :confused:

cheetah
September 27th, 2012, 09:25 PM
I'm always behind it.

Crowsong
October 23rd, 2012, 09:29 AM
Funny what one finds upon wandering into a section of the forum they don't usually go...

I really like the idea. The only thing right now is that I don't know how much I could participate.
I've spent my life watching documentaries, be it learning about animals or other ways of living. I'd love to actually have something to do with the creation of one. :)

yourdeer
October 23rd, 2012, 10:20 AM
Hmmm... musing on this, I have a thought to voice:

What about starting small, as some kind of "practice run", and creating a Youtube channel?
Individuals could submit videos of themselves talking about their experiences. There could be weekly/monthly themes (for example, "Is your therianthropy spiritual, psychological, etc, " "describe the way you feel like your animal," "let's talk about shifting," and plenty of others), just common topics in the community that everyone can add their voice to. A group of people could moderate this to make sure no one is putting in misinformation or doing anything that would break basic ground rules.

This way, a group could figure out what there actually is to say and how it might be presented to others, without worrying about filming, budgets, getting people together physically, etc. at the get-go, while using the information that's being gathered as fuel for a larger eventual endeavor. And, in the meantime, a youtube channel or similar could be a great resource that people could easily participate in.

I get this idea from a group I'm in unrelated to therianthropy (it's actually a group for partners of transmen - before I go any further, I know a lot of people especially on some other sites are very sensitive about relating to or borrowing from language/resources relating to gender/sexuality, and I'm not proposing any comparison of animality to gender at all in this - just the use of the method of posting videos as experience-sharing/support/info) The group runs a channel just like this, and it's a big resource for everyone in the situation who might be looking for information about how others who are in their shoes consider things, especially because it's hard to find local groups for partners (even in Boston!). A lot of people find it comforting/informative, I think, to listen to someone talk and have facial expression and basically see them as a real person and not just text with an avatar. Seeing how positively this affects people who feel really alone and like no one around them is in their situation really makes me think that the method could be applied to a therian project in a number of ways.

My partner and I have also thought about making video-talks about some animal-people related topics independently, so it'd be interesting to make it into a bigger project.

Nai-Yo Mie
October 23rd, 2012, 04:20 PM
I will be happy to help with the tech stuff or anything else you may need that I can help with.

ChopstickFox
October 23rd, 2012, 09:07 PM
Yourdeer, that sounds like a very practical and wonderful idea. I just wanted to comment. It would be beneficial to a lot of people and especially if it is approached with professionalism, it would really help shed a new light.

Aquatic Raider
October 24th, 2012, 03:11 PM
Would love to help, but never in person. Still have a professional reputation to uphold here, and as much as it pains me to say it, any 'irregularities' are a turn-off for potential job opportunities. It's much the same reason you will never see me actively display or tell someone I'm pagan, lest it be on the internet, or with a close friend. :P

Just keep in mind that even if things go swimmingly, there will always be repercussions.

Ashen
October 24th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Just keep in mind that even if things go swimmingly, there will always be repercussions.

Indeed, but my thought is that the repercussions from us doing it would *probably* be less than the repercussions from someone like the Discovery Channel doing it.

yourdeer
October 26th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Whoops, it's been brought to my attention that the youtube channel idea that I mentioned above already exists. Looking forward to getting involved, listening to some of the talks on there now - this is great. :)

Omusege
December 18th, 2012, 08:36 PM
I could help out, for say, new to all this, and investigating stuff.
If please, can I have the link to the youtube?

House of Chimeras
December 19th, 2012, 05:42 PM
I could help out, for say, new to all this, and investigating stuff.
If please, can I have the link to the youtube?

There right now isn't any true and full concise projecting going on on Youtube. The only collaborative channel on Youtube is TheriKiNexus thought its use is limited to only a few people and its not very active despite there being some Youtubers that do videos on being otherkin.

- Earth Listener

Jodragon
February 14th, 2014, 01:48 AM
Would love to help, but never in person. Still have a professional reputation to uphold here, and as much as it pains me to say it, any 'irregularities' are a turn-off for potential job opportunities. It's much the same reason you will never see me actively display or tell someone I'm pagan, lest it be on the internet, or with a close friend. :P

This is so true. I agree completely, and am personally terrified of any of my friends/family finding out about my therianthropy.

Here's the thing though. . . Wouldn't it be nice to not worry about that? Imagine being able to walk into a cafe wearing a tail and not having everyone stare at you like you're insane. We, as a community need to step forward. It will be scary, and also probably embarrassing. It's better for us to start something now, before the "teen wolves" and misled kids make us look even more odd in the eyes of general society.

NomadicWolf
February 14th, 2014, 04:56 PM
I would be interested in being a part of this. Please keep us updated on the progression of the Youtube channel. :)