PDA

View Full Version : Potential Theriomythic Website

Arawn
May 27th, 2013, 10:17 PM
This idea was partially spurred by a member of House of Chimeras and then seeing the term "theriomythic" come up once more in a conversation on this site. Anyway, there seems to be several therians who identify as a non-Earth based animal that is animalistic in nature and it appears that their needs aren't necessarily being met on a therian site or on an Otherkin site for whatever reason.

I wanted to throw out the idea of creating a site for theriomythics (or whatever term people wish to use) to meet those needs. It may not be a big site or even be a very active site, but it would be there as a resource to people who wish to use it.

The problem is, I don't know how to make forums. I could use a free forum, which would probably be easiest, but I don't know of any good ones and I would like help in the creation of the forum. So, I'm here asking for help and asking what would you like the site to contain?

Seraphyna
May 27th, 2013, 10:19 PM
I don't know anything about creating a forum, but I'm on staff on a few and would be willing to lend a hand in the endeavor. Basically, I'd like a site like this one, only more geared towards the mythical side of animal identity. Aren't I specific? Haha.

Arawn
May 27th, 2013, 10:25 PM
I don't know anything about creating a forum, but I'm on staff on a few and would be willing to lend a hand in the endeavor. Basically, I'd like a site like this one, only more geared towards the mythical side of animal identity. Aren't I specific? Haha.

I'd love to have you on board with this. :3 And so specific. :p But it makes sense and I'd love to incorporate it into the site.

House of Chimeras
May 27th, 2013, 10:35 PM
As far as a free forum system goes, Forumotion seems alright. The set-up is fairly good and rather easy to work with it seems like. Not Proboards for the love of whatever is sane in the universe goes though.

Spiridon was an admin on Unicorns on A Human Journey and he thought the guts of that forum set-up was good for a free forum.

- Kardegray

Arawn
May 27th, 2013, 10:37 PM
Thank you! I'll definitely check out Forumotion. :) I've never heard of it, but Proboards does seem like a pain from what I've seen.

Seraphyna
May 27th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Feral Nature uses Forumotion, seems pretty good.

Arawn
May 27th, 2013, 10:43 PM
That's good to know! I'm looking at Forumotion and I'll probably wind up using that. :)

And a question that came to mind:

What would people like to see the name of the forum be?

Seraphyna
May 27th, 2013, 10:48 PM
F*** you I'm a dragon!

Kidding...I'm the worst at naming things.

House of Chimeras
May 27th, 2013, 10:53 PM
I also like the idea of the forum having a an air similar to Werelist because the whole reason we are most active on Werelist is because this forum suits our animalistic needs most.

For a title, I think something simple. Not with the term 'theriomythics' though in the title I think.

- Kardegray

Arawn
May 27th, 2013, 11:09 PM
F*** you I'm a dragon!

Kidding...I'm the worst at naming things.

You're not allowed to name things. :p

I also like the idea of the forum having a an air similar to Werelist because the whole reason we are most active on Werelist is because this forum suits our animalistic needs most.

For a title, I think something simple. Not with the term 'theriomythics' though in the title I think.

- Kardegray

I agree. I love the air of Werelist and I would like the other site to be able to have a similar air as well. It's currently the only site I'm very active on, but it's because it also suits my needs best (at least currently).

Yeah, that might be a good idea. I'm awful with names, though, so I'm not certain as to what it could be named. =/

Lindiel
May 27th, 2013, 11:14 PM
This sounds similar to when I was tossing the idea of a more general "'Kinlist" around. XP Sort of a sister site to Werelist with the same feel and general rules, but open to more types of 'kin.

I'd be willing to help however I can, though I don't have experience in building/running a forum either.

House of Chimeras
May 27th, 2013, 11:23 PM
Kinlist...hm... I like that.

The only other idea I can think of is "Beast State" but that's still kind of blah...

- kardegray

Arawn
May 27th, 2013, 11:28 PM
Kinlist...hm... I like that.

The only other idea I can think of is "Beast State" but that's still kind of blah...

- kardegray

You beat me to it. I like "Kinlist". :) It's kind of catchy.

@ Lindiel:

I've got slight experience in helping run communities, but never in the sense of being one of the main people. So...it'd be a learning thing for me, too. :) And your help would be appreciated. ^_^
__

So, a potential name could be Kinlist if people went for that. If we don't get any other suggestions for names, we can do that.

Sonne_Spiritwind
May 27th, 2013, 11:31 PM
This sounds like a great idea and I support those who will work on and maintain it. For now, I don't have much to offer in the way of helping out, but I might volunteer as a moderator after the forum is established (I won't take on being a forum admin anywhere, though). I can also signal boost this idea in some places to get the word out more and hopefully get more help for the project. And I'll try to think of a potential name--don't know if I'll come up with anything worthwhile though.

Arawn
May 27th, 2013, 11:39 PM
This sounds like a great idea and I support those who will work on and maintain it. For now, I don't have much to offer in the way of helping out, but I might volunteer as a moderator after the forum is established (I won't take on being a forum admin anywhere, though). I can also signal boost this idea in some places to get the word out more and hopefully get more help for the project. And I'll try to think of a potential name--don't know if I'll come up with anything worthwhile though.

Thank you so much, Sonne! I wouldn't ask anyone to take on a role they don't want. I'm willing to be the only admin if that's necessary. And that would be great! Thank you!

Savage
May 28th, 2013, 12:23 AM
This sounds similar to when I was tossing the idea of a more general "'Kinlist" around. XP Sort of a sister site to Werelist with the same feel and general rules, but open to more types of 'kin.

It's not that Werelist isn't open to more types of kin, but it is true that it would be very, very useful to have a space specifically for theriomythics and the 'borderline' therian/otherkin experiences where the focus could be on their particular support issues. Great idea!

As always, feel free to steal whatever bits you find useful from Werelist's structure and ignore or rework whatever bits don't suit you.

terrorwolf
May 28th, 2013, 08:51 AM
If you can spare the $8/year for a domain name I would gladly provide you hosting (and forum software which is easy to use).

Arawn
May 28th, 2013, 09:45 AM
It's not that Werelist isn't open to more types of kin, but it is true that it would be very, very useful to have a space specifically for theriomythics and the 'borderline' therian/otherkin experiences where the focus could be on their particular support issues. Great idea!

As always, feel free to steal whatever bits you find useful from Werelist's structure and ignore or rework whatever bits don't suit you.

Thank you for the support! :D And thank you for the offer. :)

If you can spare the $8/year for a domain name I would gladly provide you hosting (and forum software which is easy to use).

I can't spare any money now (even $8, but I'm dead broke), but at some point that might become feasible. Thank you, though. :)

elinox
May 28th, 2013, 01:59 PM
This is definitely something I would like to get behind! (And not just because new and shiny appeals to me! :p ) Mostly because a place for more animalistic otherkin is something connected to my own experiences which I'd like to explore more.

I'd like to help however I'm needed, whether that's designing graphics, helping to run said forum, advertising, etc. Just let me know how I can help!

I do like the name Kinlist, it's certainly catchy. But I worry that the name will automatically make people assume it's for all sorts of otherkin, not just specific to theriomythics. And while I assume anyone is a welcomed member, isn't the focus supposed to just be on theriomythics? I would also caution against using certain new agey type terms in the title. Plus, 'list' makes me think of the old mailing lists through Yahoo. But since it would be a forum, I think it could still apply.

What about something with 'feral' in the name since it's for more animalistic 'kin? Something like Feral Otherworld or Feral Kin or Feral Kinlist or even just Theriomythics? Just throwing out other ideas. ;)

I'm not familiar with setting up a forum, just modifying it and running it once it's already been created. However, my good buddy 'hoku did everything for OKP so I can shoot zir an email with specific questions regarding phpBB boards. And as far as I can tell, the basic phpBB forum (https://www.phpbb.com/) is also free.

House of Chimeras
May 28th, 2013, 02:23 PM
If anything maybe to cover some bases maybe something like [name of forum] : A resource for animalistic otherkin, theriomythics, and non-Earth animal therians.” I think trying to cover bases of topic but not get to pick on terms might be best. Sense there are non-Earth animal identified people who cringe at being called ’otherkin,’ otherkin that see themselves as animalistic but don’t recognize themselves as [therio/an]-anything, people that don’t care for the term or have never heard of the term theriomythic, and so on. (Like for myself, I just recoil away from the 'mythic' because I see nothing that fits the word in my species so I don't like to be associated with the term.)

One possible confusion with ‘Feral’ is there is already a forum called Feral Nature. So we might also want to be aware of what other forums are named. So not to end up picking something to similar to another forum or websites name. We don’t need confusion.

I also, like the idea though having a word that means feral/bestial/animalistic/wild/primitive/natural/etc along the lines of meaning in the title.

- Kardegray

yourdeer
May 28th, 2013, 03:14 PM
I know I'm not of a theriomythic type, but I like words and finding the right ones for the right applications and I think this website or forum is a great idea, so I thought I'd offer a thought:

What about including the word "lore"? It is vague enough to cover various sorts of understandings of "non-earthly" creatures and their contexts, whether it's in the vein of mythology, folk tradition, religious tradition, storytelling, or more modern fiction.

The dictionary definition (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lore?s=t) includes "body of knowledge, especially of a traditional, anecdotal, or popular nature," and "learning, knowledge, or erudition." Plus, the connotations are a bit more of mysticism, folk knowledge, and such - down to earth in a way that seems therianish but implying a pinch of something ...well... mythical?

I don't know, perhaps I'm way off the mark here, but I thought it might be worth throwing it out there. Regardless, good luck, and I hope the endeavor comes to fruition! :)

elinox
May 28th, 2013, 04:26 PM
'Loreians' sounds catchy and cutesy. Like the delorian (http://www.hauteliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/DMC-12.jpg). I could see it as being a shortened form for theriomythics. ;)

swanblood
May 28th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Hmm, or maybe something like Between Two Worlds or Liminal Spaces, to show that it is about an experience that is not usually covered that is something "between" otherkin and therians?

Just throwing ideas out in case they're useful. I like Loreians too!

Khamaseen
May 28th, 2013, 04:45 PM
I can get behind this idea, having floated between the therian and otherkin communities for years and never having felt completely at home in either of them myself.

If the free forum websites you're looking at fall through, I would be willing to host the forum on my website ferallimbo.com. We could purchase it it's own domain name and host it there, otherwise it would be forum.ferallimbo.com or ferallimbo.forumname.com or something and that sounds kind of tacky to me, although I guess it doesn't really matter and I'm just nitpicking about that. Either way, I'm willing to help set it up, make graphics, organize the sections and layout, come on as a moderator/clean up crew, etc.

Some potential names:
Ascending Animality
Savage Sojourn
Savage Superstition
Feral Fable / Feral Fables
Feral Fantasy
Legendary Bestiary
Tameless Myths / Tameless Mythos
Unreal Beastly
Fabled Wilderness

ETA: Actually I just looked at my website editor and I could set up a forum page that would just be ferallimbo.com/forum...

House of Chimeras
May 28th, 2013, 04:52 PM
@ yourdeer - On the term side of things for myself it still would not apply to me sense my species does not appear anywhere. So ’lore,’ ’myth,’ etc does not apply to me. But I am just nitpicking on my part. I am only one guy and I just don’t have anything to show for my species. Maybe my whole beef is because of my agitation for having nothing to point to or label with my species.

I need to stop being a negative.

@ Swanblood - Interesting idea about something about 'between.'

- Kardegray

Somnia
May 28th, 2013, 05:05 PM
How about TherioMythos?

Arawn
May 28th, 2013, 05:37 PM
@ Elinox:

I can definitely see the confusion of that coming up. The site would be open to others, but the central core would be issues that animalistic Otherkin deal with.

@ Kardegray:

I can see the point about 'feral'. I'm a bit against the term, personally, but every time I see it I think of feral children and that particular subject is one that both intrigues me and saddens me. I understand why people want to use the term 'feral', but it still bugs me.

@ Kitsy:

Thank you for the offer. :) I'd like to stay away from the term "feral", though, for the reason I stated above. That and there are many sites out there with "feral" in the title.

@ Swanblood:

Oooo! Liminal Spaces sounds good. o.o I like that a lot. (It doesn't help that I love liminal deities.)

Okay, so I can get everything down:

Potential Names

- Kinlist
- Loreian
- Liminal Spaces

(Did you have a favorite out of your list, Kitsy, so I can add it to the above?)

Potential Disclaimer

A resource for animalistic otherkin, theriomythics, and non-Earth animal therians.

(I loved how it was written so I wouldn't change it.)

Potential Site Host

- Forumotion
- phBB

(Elinox, that'd be great if you could contact Kahoku for us. :3)

Does that sound right to, y'all?

Seraphyna
May 28th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Personally, I'd lean toward a name that makes it clear we're talking about animalistic 'kin. I'd also be willing to admin.

Arawn
May 28th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Personally, I'd lean toward a name that makes it clear we're talking about animalistic 'kin. I'd also be willing to admin.

That would definitely be nice, but I'm failing at thinking of something that would be good for that. =/

Savage
May 28th, 2013, 08:01 PM
I can't spare any money now (even $8, but I'm dead broke), but at some point that might become feasible. Thank you, though. :)

I can give money. I can not be the named domain registrant.

Arawn
May 28th, 2013, 08:39 PM
I can give money. I can not be the named domain registrant.

Thank you! :) But I think I'd like to see how many people across the communities are interested and go for a free forum until there's a larger userbase. :)

Khamaseen
May 28th, 2013, 08:46 PM
I don't think two forums with the word feral in the title would be an issue, but if you're uncomfortable with the reference Arawn then that's okay, we have plenty of other options.

I don't have any favorites yet, just spitting out ideas, some of which suck but I just want to get them down.

Here's some more:
Liminal Lacuna
Unreal & Untamed
Fabled Wilderness
Betwixtkin (I just like the word "betwixt")

ETA: I don't mind paying for the domain and being its registrant because I can get it cheap with my provider, but if you don't want it associated with my site at all because of my choice of title then I'm not going to bother going to another provider and end up paying more just to distance the forum from the word feral.

Lindiel
May 28th, 2013, 09:36 PM
As much as I like the idea behind the word "untamed", I can't help but associate it with other unsavory, adult type websites. I'm not sure why my brain automatically makes that connection, but there you have it. Plus, it might seem to put people who identify more with domestic animals on a back shelf.

Um... The only other name I've been able to come up with so far is "The Menagerie". XP

Arawn
May 28th, 2013, 09:48 PM
I don't think two forums with the word feral in the title would be an issue, but if you're uncomfortable with the reference Arawn then that's okay, we have plenty of other options.

I don't have any favorites yet, just spitting out ideas, some of which suck but I just want to get them down.

Here's some more:
Liminal Lacuna
Unreal & Untamed
Fabled Wilderness
Betwixtkin (I just like the word "betwixt")

ETA: I don't mind paying for the domain and being its registrant because I can get it cheap with my provider, but if you don't want it associated with my site at all because of my choice of title then I'm not going to bother going to another provider and end up paying more just to distance the forum from the word feral.

I don't mind if the site's associated with others with the title of "Feral", I just would rather this one stay away from that title for this one. It's just an odd preference I have, but if enough people agreed to have the title "Feral" in it then I'd probably let it happen because it's for everyone and not just for me.

I'm loving the term "Liminal", but let's have others weigh in on the term and any of the titles that were mentioned earlier in the thread. Maybe everyone can go through and pick three that they most like?

@ Lindiel:

>.> I like that, but my tarot deck is called "The Magical Menagerie" so it might be that. I do like it, though.
___

Everyone

- Please choose three names from the ones suggested in this thread and either PM them to me or post them here.

- If you wish to be an admin or a moderator, please PM me.

- What specific issues would you like discussed or have its own board on the site? You can PM me this if you want.

- What general rules would you like? You can PM me this, too.

House of Chimeras
May 28th, 2013, 10:06 PM
Naming ideas (inspired by what others have been suggesting) -
Liminal Spaces
Bewixt and Between
Liminal Wilderness
Liminal Animality

The idea of ‘liminal’ also seems to be growing on some of us.

Topics - (that could be started off with off the top of my mind) -
What is animality? / What is and is not 'animalistic?'
Stereotyping in the community to not being animalistic? / Dealing with assumptions of not being animalistic?
What makes you feel 'animalistic?'
Dealing with your issues/problems when you are 'the only one of your kind?'
Coping ideas / dealing with dysphoria / dealing with strong shifts / etc.

Rule ideas -
Maybe we are biased but we really like the jest of Werelist's rules. Be respectful, no fanatic claims, no power playing, be a mature adult, etc.

- Arron

Also, sense phytanthropes don't really belong in the therian community would we be welcome or be 'on topic' at least there on a forum such as this (sense I do not feel 'on topic' I am here)?

- Darahagh

Sonne_Spiritwind
May 28th, 2013, 10:07 PM
Sorry for not getting around to posting this earlier today (thus I'm kind of bogging us down with more possible names), but here's some more possible names for the site, if anyone sees one they particularly like. Just thought I'd throw them out there, especially since I spent awhile thinking about potential names today and created a list of them. Oh yeah, and I like that Swanblood mentioned the same thing that I immediately thought of regarding this concept: that it's primarily for creature types that are in-between, thresholding, or liminal (whichever word) to therianthropes and otherkin.

Animality: Betwixt & Between (heh, I like that others thought of that independently of me/me of them)
Animal Thresholds
Primal Liminality or Primal Threshold
Edge of Animality
Paranimal or Paranimalia (based on the Greek prefix "para-" for 'beside; near')
Metanimalia (based on the Greek prefix "meta-" for 'among; beyond'; although "Metanimal" is some .com site)

Arawn
May 28th, 2013, 10:25 PM
@ Arron:

:) I love those ideas and I think those are great topics. I also like Werelist's rules, too.

@ Darahagh:

Of course you'd be welcome there! :D

Everyone's welcome. The core of the site, of course, is going to focus on Otherkin with animalistic experiences, but I'm not going to shun anyone for having a different experience or who wants to participate.

@ Sonne:

I definitely like the incorporation of "Threshold" and "liminal". Both of those words are good and I think they really do incorporate the experience, at least to me.

House of Chimeras
May 28th, 2013, 10:37 PM
(@ Arawn -

Well its just that I don’t have a place to feel welcome, or a community that is for phythanthropes to get help for issues and talk about phytanthropes. I’ve been having some serious issues and concerns sense I started fronting but nowhere to take them. Because the therian community is for animals and the otherkin community seems to not to what to do with plants at all.

- Darahagh )

Arawn
May 28th, 2013, 10:41 PM
(@ Arawn -

Well its just that I don’t have a place to feel welcome, or a community that is for phythanthropes to get help for issues and talk about phytanthropes. I’ve been having some serious issues and concerns sense I started fronting but nowhere to take them. Because the therian community is for animals and the otherkin community seems to not to what to do with plants at all.

- Darahagh )

While I'd like to keep it for theriomythics (or whatever you wish to use for a term), I can create a subsection if possible for phytanthropes to discuss their specific issues on the site. I know I've seen phytanthropes around and I've noticed their lack of anywhere to go. I'd be happy to have them on the site and to give them somewhere to go to discuss their issues and needs. :)

Khamaseen
May 28th, 2013, 10:44 PM
It looks like "liminal" is trending, and any variation of it in a name I would find appealing. "Liminal Wilderness" is one of my favorites so far. Outside of something containing a reference to liminality, The Magical Menagerie is another favorite, but when I popped it into my browser an ad site came up which means its probably owned but for sale at a bloated price. It looks like liminalwilderness.com is free though!

Theriomythic Threshold?

I like the idea of using the Werelists rules as a guideline for forming the rules for the new site. We can get down to specifics of rules and penalties for breaking them after a mod team is put together, maybe?

I would support discussion of plant people being welcome on the site, for the record. Also of those who identify with or as fictional characters who experience animality but get lumped in with otherkin, such as MLP:FiM people.

As for topics and sections, should there be separate sections for discussing animality and mythic things and then another "main" section to focus on how they interact in our identities? I think that might be a good idea on one hand because it could be annoying browsing through threads about one or the other when looking for discussion on both, but on the other hand they may be so Intimately related to the target audience that it wouldn't be an issue? We might just have to go through a trail phase when it comes to dividing up sections or not.

Arawn
May 28th, 2013, 10:51 PM
It looks like "liminal" is trending, and any variation of it in a name I would find appealing. "Liminal Wilderness" is one of my favorites so far. Outside of something containing a reference to liminality, The Magical Menagerie is another favorite, but when I popped it into my browser an ad site came up which means its probably owned but for sale at a bloated price. It looks like liminalwilderness.com is free though!

Theriomythic Threshold?

I like the idea of using the Werelists rules as a guideline for forming the rules for the new site. We can get down to specifics of rules and penalties for breaking them after a mod team is put together, maybe?

I would support discussion of plant people being welcome on the site, for the record. Also of those who identify with or as fictional characters who experience animality but get lumped in with otherkin, such as MLP:FiM people.

As for topics and sections, should there be separate sections for discussing animality and mythic things and then another "main" section to focus on how they interact in our identities? I think that might be a good idea on one hand because it could be annoying browsing through threads about one or the other when looking for discussion on both, but on the other hand they may be so Intimately related to the target audience that it wouldn't be an issue? We might just have to go through a trail phase when it comes to dividing up sections or not.

Liminal does seem to be trending. :)

What about Liminal Animal? (I do like Liminal Wilderness, too!) It just combines Sonne's idea as well as Swanblood's idea.

Definitely. Once I've got the Admins and Mods all set, we'll sit down to creating the rules for the site.

I like the idea of dividing it up, too. There'd definitely be a section for both of them. Yeah, we'll probably go through a trial phase and see what fits where and how people respond. :)

Seraphyna
May 28th, 2013, 10:55 PM
Liminal does seem to be trending. :)

What about Liminal Animal? (I do like Liminal Wilderness, too!) It just combines Sonne's idea as well as Swanblood's idea.

Liminal Animality?

Savage
May 28th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Just holler for whatever support we can offer from here. I think this is a really excellent idea and will result in everyone getting more of what they specifically need from a support site.

Hopefully the goal is to remain friendly and cross linked but completely autonomous from Werelist, even if some folks feel moved to volunteer their time as staff or participants on both sites. Borrowing whatever you like and find useful from us, to avoid the annoyance of re-inventing the wheel or re-writing stuff that already works fine, is functional and makes sense. But, you probably want to think about your own 'brand identity' and how it differs from Werelist, and to think over your own decisions on some issues and how to deal with them. Those decisions may end up being different from how things are handled on Werelist, and that's okay.

There won't be too much point in just making a Werelist clone, so considering what you will do differently and how the atmosphere might feel different is important in forming your own 'brand identity'.

And, would you mind if once you guys were established, Werelist referred support topics focusing on Otherkin type animality to your forum? I think it would make for better on-topic filing and better support for everyone, while making sure that people could easily click back and forth to the topics they wanted to participate in. Right now we do try to handle those support issues, and I'm not 100% confident that we're qualified to do that, or that we're doing it effectively.

Khamaseen
May 28th, 2013, 11:15 PM
As much as I like the sound the Liminal Animality, I fear it makes the mythological side of theriomythics less obvious? Maybe Liminal Animalkin to reference the otherkin communities habit of adding "kin" to the end of everyone's label and make the joining together of otherkin and therianthropy more obvious?

elinox
May 29th, 2013, 01:57 PM
I went back through the entire thread and here's the list of all the names suggested:

Kinlist
Beast State
Feral Otherworld
Feral Kin
Feral Kinlist
Theriomythics
Loreians
Between Two Worlds
Liminal Spaces
Ascending Animality
Savage Sojourn
Savage Superstition
Feral Fable / Feral Fables
Feral Fantasy
Legendary Bestiary
Tameless Myths / Tameless Mythos
Unreal Beastly
Fabled Wilderness
TherioMythos
Liminal Lacuna
Unreal & Untamed
Fabled Wilderness
Betwixtkin
The Menagerie
Liminal Spaces
Bewixt and Between
Liminal Wilderness
Liminal Animality
Animality: Betwixt & Between
Animal Thresholds
Primal Liminality or Primal Threshold
Edge of Animality
Paranimal or Paranimalia
Metanimalia
Theriomythic Threshold
Liminal Animality

And a few last suggestions on my part:

Liminal Lore/Liminal Loreians
Liminal Spaces for Loreians
Liminal Lore Spaces
L.O.R.E.: A Liminal Obscure Refuge for ThEriomythics
{Liminal = between, Obscure = not easily understood, Refuge = speaks for itself and I know the 'e' is a bit out there.}

Arawn
May 29th, 2013, 02:17 PM
@ Savage: It'll be autonomous and it's own set of guidelines and how it's run. There are just a few rules here at Werelist that are good (which was listed earlier). I like Werelist a lot, but this might be a touch more of a "laid back" site, but that could just be be me (not saying I'm going to allow outrageous claims or anything). I just know how I am.

And I don't mind at all. :)

@ Khamaseen:

That makes sense. :)

@ Elinox:

Thanks for the list! You rock! Did you have a preference including in your list?
___

So far the ones that have actually be said in a list of three are:

Liminal Spaces - 2
Bewixt and Between - 2
Liminal Wilderness - 3
Liminal Animality - 2
Primal Threshold - 1
The Menagerie - 1

The numbers is how many people said they liked those. (The two that involve my vote are Liminal Spaces and Liminal Wilderness.)

Does anyone else want to cast a vote?

Bluewing
May 29th, 2013, 02:32 PM
I have a question. Would this forum be strictly for non-Earth-based animals?

My concern is that there are some therians who are Earth-based, yet experience animalistic traits which are on the other hand not completely explained by their Earth-based animals. Would these therians fit into this group?

Also, if you need help on setting up the forums, I have some experience and knowledge... so guess I could help out on things if you want to. Have you done or planned anything so far?

I went back through the entire thread and here's the list of all the names suggested:

*names*

ovO Those are pretty impressive names. Not only for forums but I would imagine a band name or a book title out of that list.

Arawn
May 29th, 2013, 02:38 PM
It's not for just non-Earth based animals. It's for Otherkin who experience their Otherkinnity (?) in an animalistic sense or animalistic Otherkin (or rather it's primarily for that specific group).

What do you mean by "there are some therians who are Earth-based, yet experience animalistic traits which are on the other hand not completely explained by their Earth-based animals"? I'm trying to figure that out before answering the second question.

And I'd love your help. :3 Currently, I'm waiting for everyone to respond to who wants to be an admin or a mod. Once I have the team set up, I'll be getting into the nitty gritty with them. :3

House of Chimeras
May 29th, 2013, 02:46 PM
I have a question. Would this forum be strictly for non-Earth-based animals?

My concern is that there are some therians who are Earth-based, yet experience animalistic traits which are on the other hand not completely explained by their Earth-based animals. Would these therians fit into this group?
Our thought might be of a forum aimed at the ‘middle ground’ for people that either don’t fit nicely fit in either the ’therian community’ nor the ’otherkin community’ perfectly or don’t completely fit into either community because some of their experiences cross some lines but not others.

Of course, a big lot of people who fit into this are people of mythical animals (dragons, unicorns, griffins, etc).

HOWEVER it can also apply to people whose theriotypes are animalistic but not animals (such as vampirekin, werewolfkin, bestial faekin and elven, or what have you.

Plus it can include people whose animal theriotypes are ‘unknown’ or whatnot like ‘cryptids’ or possible prehistoric species sense they too might experience things which make them outliers in the therian community.

However, one thing that could also be of concern is if the community could or would also extent itself to other ’middle ground’ or ‘nowhere to be’ people. Such as Darahagh brought up phytanthropes sense they too ‘don’t fit in’ in either community.

- Arron

Arawn
May 29th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Our thought was have the forum aimed at the ‘middle ground’ for people that either don’t fit nicely fit in either the ’therian community’ nor the ’otherkin community’ perfectly or don’t completely fit into either community because some of their experiences cross some lines but not others.

Of course, a big lot of people who fit into this are people of mythical animals (dragons, unicorns, griffins, etc).

HOWEVER it can also apply to people whose theriotypes are animalistic but not animals (such as vampirekin, werewolfkin, bestial faekin and elven, or what have you.

Plus it can include people whose animal theriotypes are ‘unknown’ or whatnot like ‘cryptids’ or possible prehistoric species sense they too might experience things which make them outliers in the therian community.

However, one thing that could also be of concern is if the community could or would also extent itself to other ’middle ground’ or ‘nowhere to be’ people. Such as Darahagh brought up pythanthropes sense they too ‘don’t fit in’ in either community.

- Arron

Arron definitely said it better than I could. :)

On the subject of others joining who don't fit in: I'd like the site to be able to let them in. As a polymorphic whatever, I know what it's like to not truly fit in with either community and to have some place to go is important and I would entirely hate for a group of people who don't fit in with either side to be ousted just because they're not necessarily animalistic in their behaviors and experiences.

terrorwolf
May 29th, 2013, 03:40 PM
Well if you just want to test the waters I can throw it up as a subdomain on weresource.org -- Just let me know.

elinox
May 29th, 2013, 04:24 PM
@ Elinox:

Thanks for the list! You rock! Did you have a preference including in your list?

1. L.O.R.E.: A Liminal Obscure Refuge for ThEriomythics
2. Legendary Bestiary
3. TherioMythos or TherioMythics

Savage
May 29th, 2013, 08:18 PM
On the subject of others joining who don't fit in: I'd like the site to be able to let them in.

Be careful of this potential pitfall. If you are not clear on how much time, energy and resources you have and how you will allocate them, you can end up diluted past the point you are much use to anyone. The urge to let everyone in and help everyone is strong. Fulfill it by identifying the resources you do have and can use to maximally benefit a specific group, then add links to other quality sites so that people who are not your target audience can get support in those places.

You may or may not have a clear conception yet of what audience you can best serve with the resources you have. I'd say, make sure you have that conception and the resources to match it, then stick to it.

Arawn
May 29th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Be careful of this potential pitfall. If you are not clear on how much time, energy and resources you have and how you will allocate them, you can end up diluted past the point you are much use to anyone. The urge to let everyone in and help everyone is strong. Fulfill it by identifying the resources you do have and can use to maximally benefit a specific group, then add links to other quality sites so that people who are not your target audience can get support in those places.

You may or may not have a clear conception yet of what audience you can best serve with the resources you have. I'd say, make sure you have that conception and the resources to match it, then stick to it.

Definitely. I'm aware of my weaknesses and what time I can realistically put into a site (currently, it's a lot due to having no job). Quality sites will most likely be linked to upon seeking permission from those sites to do that, and once I can gather a list of reasonably active sites (nothing sucks more than being directed to a website that is no longer active or so inactive that it might as well not be active).

Currently, my resources, at least in the status of reputable sites and people, are limited which is why I'm asking everyone here for resources and am asking for those who can help and who want to help, to please do so. I know many on here are on more sites than I am and know more people than I do and I plan on bugging them them (nicely) to help broaden things.

What I want is for the core focus to be on theriomythics. If there's time and room, I'd like others such as phythanthropes (sp?) to be able to join and to have a small section for themselves. I couldn't personally participate in those discussions, but I wouldn't mind a small portion being there to help them and direct them to one another. So, I would like the site to be open to others who need a place to go. That doesn't mean I'm going to get that, though.

So, small at first with the potential to branch out depending on how many other people would be active (which seems to be a fair few).
_____

@ terrorwolf:

Let me talk with the staff that I'm slowly gathering. :)
_____

List of Potential Names

Liminal Spaces
Bewixt and Between
Liminal Wilderness
Liminal Animality
Primal Threshold
The Menagerie
L.O.R.E.: A Liminal Obscure Refuge for ThEriomythics
Legendary Bestiary
TherioMythos or TherioMythics

(I might stick them all in a random generator, but first I'd like to know which ones people are entirely against.)

Potential Topics and Sections

- What is animality? / What is and is not 'animalistic?'
- Stereotyping in the community to not being animalistic? / Dealing with assumptions of not being animalistic?
- What makes you feel 'animalistic?'
- Dealing with your issues/problems when you are 'the only one of your kind?'
- Coping ideas / dealing with dysphoria / dealing with strong shifts / etc.

Rules

Will discuss with the others.
____

What else would others like to see done?

Bluewing
May 30th, 2013, 07:42 AM
I really like “Legendary Bestiary”. It has that nice feeling associated with the name. :> "Liminal Animality" sounds nice as well, though sometimes the liminality may not be about animals but rather everything else. So “Liminal Wilderness” sounds a bit better.

+1 for Legendary Bestiality and Liminal Wilderness. I don't know, +0.5 points for Liminal Animality? >v<

Our thought might be of a forum aimed at the ‘middle ground’ for people that either don’t fit nicely fit in either the ’therian community’ nor the ’otherkin community’ perfectly or don’t completely fit into either community because some of their experiences cross some lines but not others.

*snip*

However, one thing that could also be of concern is if the community could or would also extent itself to other ’middle ground’ or ‘nowhere to be’ people. Such as Darahagh brought up pythanthropes sense they too ‘don’t fit in’ in either community.

- Arron

What do you mean by "there are some therians who are Earth-based, yet experience animalistic traits which are on the other hand not completely explained by their Earth-based animals"? I'm trying to figure that out before answering the second question.

Perhaps I could try to explain it from my perspective. I have unique experiences, most of which are therianthropy-related, and sometimes it has been hard finding enough knowledge simply because not many have experienced the same as I have.

Unfortunately, if were not a gryphon, I wouldn't consider to be anymore therian than I'm now. If I would ie. be a crow, and other experience the same traits I would currently do, a lot of those would not be completely explained by how crows are supposed to act.

It's true that crows are animals, but so are gryphons. Now, because I'm a gryphon, I would be easily given a label, but it doesn't work that way. My experiences are not something I could choose for myself. And if I need to find answers or even to give advice to the others, attention would needed to be paid on which place do I fit in.

Actually, For some time I've feared I might be told I'm not a therian. That's simply because my experiences aren't what would be expected from animals as they behave on Earth. .v.

However, I also have many traits I absolutely consider are about therianthropy. And to be honest, I really can relate to other therians and their animal feelings.

So in my case, it's not that I feel I don't fit anywhere, as I really believe I can do. Instead, I've found a lot of what I need from therainthropy-related knowledge, yet there are many things I wonder I've been hesitating to ask simply because they aren't strictly animal-like like on living critters most see.

It's not as simple for me as fitting in just because I'm a gryphon. .v.

I'd say there's a difference between able to offer resources and letting interested people letting in.

It's great to start on one theme, although I wouldn't turn people away if they don't strictly fit into it. The reason is that if this was done in excess, the community would quickly become too selective, and wouldn't be that open for interested members. Unless the aim is to found a restricted community, which I don't think is the goal here. :>

Perhaps if they don't fit at all, or cause harm, then yes, we need to let these kinds of people in, otherwise I'd advocate for as much freedom as possible without it interfering seriously with available resources and time.

What else would others like to see done?

I think we should set up an environment where we think of what to do next (if I may suggest things like that). This thread is useful, though reading everything through one thread could be tedious. >v<

Free forums are always an option as to experiment. Though terrorwolf's suggestion of snatching a subdomain is a better idea in my opinion. Free forums have their own terms of use and so on, so if you install your own, you are in charge of pretty much anything. It's a bit more work but well worth it in my opinion. So the forums could be set up, and we could talk about things over there. Or alternatively, one idea would be to temporarily have a sub-forum at the Werelist dedicated to these forums.

Other than that, I think there are a lot of things we need to decide on, some of which aren't yet evident and probably pop up at a later stage. For example:

How the community will look like? Do we design the site, or use an existing template?
Is this only about the forums, or will there be articles as resources?
Who exactly is interested in taking part of founding the forums? If we need help, who could we contact?
What subforums the forum is going to have? Who writes the rules, what kind of? Who are the head admins, who moderators? Do we assign roles specifically or not? (There is a major difference between an admin and a moderator. An admin could have access to the admin control panel, from which you can change everything related to the forums. Moderators usually have their powers limited to forum managing.)
Who manages the FTP connection to the server, and who sets up the forums? Which forum software? (I know there are several) This requires another set of technical knowledge.
How dedicated are we, really? Are we willing to exchange emails and other possible info so that we could communicate effectively about the forums? How much time do we have?
And most important, how would we define theriomythics? Is theriomythics the right word? Are they still therians or theriomyths? (lol) Would we rather leave these questions up to the therian himself? (I personally would probably lean towards this)

Potential Topics and Sections

- What is animality? / What is and is not 'animalistic?'
- Stereotyping in the community to not being animalistic? / Dealing with assumptions of not being animalistic?
- What makes you feel 'animalistic?'
- Dealing with your issues/problems when you are 'the only one of your kind?'
- Coping ideas / dealing with dysphoria / dealing with strong shifts / etc.

Rules

Will discuss with the others.

I'd really like to comment on these questions, though I'm not sure should I do it now or perhaps later. Because these are tough questions yet very fascinating. ovO

Somnia
May 30th, 2013, 08:23 AM
I'd use caution on using certain forms of the word "Beast" or "Bestiary" as someone might mistake it as something sexual like "bestiality".

House of Chimeras
May 30th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Perhaps I could try to explain it from my perspective. I have unique experiences, most of which are therianthropy-related, and sometimes it has been hard finding enough knowledge simply because not many have experienced the same as I have.

[...]

Actually, For some time I've feared I might be told I'm not a therian. That's simply because my experiences aren't what would be expected from animals as they behave on Earth. .v.

However, I also have many traits I absolutely consider are about therianthropy. And to be honest, I really can relate to other therians and their animal feelings.

So in my case, it's not that I feel I don't fit anywhere, as I really believe I can do. Instead, I've found a lot of what I need from therainthropy-related knowledge, yet there are many things I wonder I've been hesitating to ask simply because they aren't strictly animal-like like on living critters most see.
I wish I could do that. I've all but stopped posting on Werelist due to how people talk around here. I am in the same boat as you just replace avian with feral dog; however in my case because adlet are humanoid and Cwn Annwn are still 'fae' I can't get away or sneak around.

Because people specifically point out the groups I can't get away from and generally say we are not animistic. I don't like being effectively being told I don't experience the things I do just because of how my species looks but not how we act. As far as behavior goes, there is little difference between how an adlet acts and how a canine would, and there are a lot of those in therian community. However, I got tired of hearing people saying I was off-topic, so I've more or less actively left.

I'd say there's a difference between able to offer resources and letting interested people letting in.
One possible issue is that the idea when someone coined the term 'theriomythic' they tried to bridge the gap between how a lot of people see 'therian' and how people see 'otherkin.' One danger here is, is that if the term does not indeed bridge the gap the usefulness of the term decreases and it still leaves people out without a community to go to because, now, three communities (in this narrow view of thing ignore what other nonhuman communities already exist) aren't suited for them and even less people to even dream of creating another.

- Lunatani

Seraphyna
May 30th, 2013, 09:06 AM
I'd use caution on using certain forms of the word "Beast" or "Bestiary" as someone might mistake it as something sexual like "bestiality".

Or a Dungeons and Dragons (or other RPG) resource...

elinox
May 30th, 2013, 10:11 AM
1. How the community will look like? Do we design the site, or use an existing template?
2. Is this only about the forums, or will there be articles as resources?
3. Who exactly is interested in taking part of founding the forums? If we need help, who could we contact?
4. What subforums the forum is going to have? Who writes the rules, what kind of? Who are the head admins, who moderators? Do we assign roles specifically or not? (There is a major difference between an admin and a moderator. An admin could have access to the admin control panel, from which you can change everything related to the forums. Moderators usually have their powers limited to forum managing.)
5. Who manages the FTP connection to the server, and who sets up the forums? Which forum software? (I know there are several) This requires another set of technical knowledge.
6. How dedicated are we, really? Are we willing to exchange emails and other possible info so that we could communicate effectively about the forums? How much time do we have?
7. And most important, how would we define theriomythics? Is theriomythics the right word? Are they still therians or theriomyths? (lol) Would we rather leave these questions up to the therian himself? (I personally would probably lean towards this)

1. Unless we have someone with IT skills/tech knowledge with html, I'd say we start with a basic template and then modify it rather than starting up from scratch.

2. I think we need to flesh out the initial core concept and then later think about adding additional resources. A forum is the first thing we've got to organize and then create, but once that's done it should be fairly simple to add articles, links/affiliates, etc. too.

3. As I said earlier to Arawn, 'hoku was the tech genie behind OKA when it was first created and then later in starting OKP so if need be, I can contact zir regarding tech specific questions. Other than that, I'd think that whomever is onboard the team and can see the behind the scenes of the new forum will be able to figure stuff out as we go along. That's how I did it here when I was made an admin. ;)

4. The rules will be decided/finalized by the people in charge of the new forum. Most forums I've been around have 1-3 admins (depending on member size) and then a few moderators as support. Here we have 5 admins I think and many help staff and then moderators, but we also have a large and very active member base. OKP has 4 admins and 3 mods; OKA has 1 founder, 2 admins and 2 moderators. OKA also uses Simple Machines Forum. I think the new forum should have 1-2 admins and then no more than 5 moderators until we garner the interest level/need. I also think that one person solely as the main person in charge is a good thing. I know that having a team is greatly useful and makes for the best forums, but having one person in charge of the forum account, etc. makes things a hell of a lot easier in regards to final decisions. So I'd say one main founder, a few admins and then some supporting moderators are the best.

5. I would say whoever takes over responsibility as the 'founder'. On here, I believe Jakkal has all the admin powers and codes and such. On OKP it's 'hoku. I think there can really only be one main 'behind the scenes' person and since it was Arawn's idea and zi's willing to put in a lot of spare time, I think it should be zir.

6. Emails, pms, chats are all easy enough to arrange.

7. A general definition is useful, but as with otherkin and therians in general the specifics should be left up to the individual.

Akhila
May 30th, 2013, 10:56 AM
I already use "liminal animal" and variations of this for a number of my places, I'm afraid it'll get confusing. My French wordpress about therianthropy and identity stuff is l'Animal Liminal (http://lanimalliminal.wordpress.com/), for instance.

I would also advise against names that include "kin" because it defeats the purpose of having a space that is both/neither specifically therianthropic or otherkin. If I see a site with "kin" on the foreground, I'll assume it's for the standard mythic otherkin and period, not the kind of more original project you've described, which attempts to fill its own niche and meet specific needs.

Some of the other propositions seems quite nice though. My favourites are TherioMytho, The Menagerie, and I'd also suggest something as simple as "The Bestiary (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bestiary)". I don't feel it looks like anything like "bestiality", but perhaps that's also because I'm familiar with latin roots from my own language (French; we commonly use words like bête, bestiaire, etc). And regarding ties with RPG sites, well this place is called the WERElist, and we're well aware of the fact it has nothing to do with Werewolf: the Apocalypse. :B

Seraphyna
May 30th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Yeah, but RPG sites have a section on them called "The Bestiary" where you can look up all NPC's in the game and see what their weaknesses, attacks, drops, etc. are.

Arawn
May 30th, 2013, 12:15 PM
1. Unless we have someone with IT skills/tech knowledge with html, I'd say we start with a basic template and then modify it rather than starting up from scratch.

2. I think we need to flesh out the initial core concept and then later think about adding additional resources. A forum is the first thing we've got to organize and then create, but once that's done it should be fairly simple to add articles, links/affiliates, etc. too.

3. As I said earlier to Arawn, 'hoku was the tech genie behind OKA when it was first created and then later in starting OKP so if need be, I can contact zir regarding tech specific questions. Other than that, I'd think that whomever is onboard the team and can see the behind the scenes of the new forum will be able to figure stuff out as we go along. That's how I did it here when I was made an admin. ;)

4. The rules will be decided/finalized by the people in charge of the new forum. Most forums I've been around have 1-3 admins (depending on member size) and then a few moderators as support. Here we have 5 admins I think and many help staff and then moderators, but we also have a large and very active member base. OKP has 4 admins and 3 mods; OKA has 1 founder, 2 admins and 2 moderators. OKA also uses Simple Machines Forum. I think the new forum should have 1-2 admins and then no more than 5 moderators until we garner the interest level/need. I also think that one person solely as the main person in charge is a good thing. I know that having a team is greatly useful and makes for the best forums, but having one person in charge of the forum account, etc. makes things a hell of a lot easier in regards to final decisions. So I'd say one main founder, a few admins and then some supporting moderators are the best.

5. I would say whoever takes over responsibility as the 'founder'. On here, I believe Jakkal has all the admin powers and codes and such. On OKP it's 'hoku. I think there can really only be one main 'behind the scenes' person and since it was Arawn's idea and zi's willing to put in a lot of spare time, I think it should be zir.

7. A general definition is useful, but as with otherkin and therians in general the specifics should be left up to the individual.

Elinox beat me to it. :p

5. Who manages the FTP connection to the server, and who sets up the forums? Which forum software? (I know there are several) This requires another set of technical knowledge.
6. How dedicated are we, really? Are we willing to exchange emails and other possible info so that we could communicate effectively about the forums? How much time do we have?
7. And most important, how would we define theriomythics? Is theriomythics the right word? Are they still therians or theriomyths? (lol) Would we rather leave these questions up to the therian himself? (I personally would probably lean towards this)

5. My technological knowledge is limited. However, I'm willing to learn and I'm willing to take the brunt of the work in setting up the forum. I have time to learn and I have time to figure things out and to tweak different aspects of the forum that are agreed on.

6. I'm currently exchanging e-mails (currently it's g-mail) and Skype contacts in order to get everyone into one place to further discuss everything in a timely manner. I'll be keeping logs of the chats as well to make sure nothing is forgotten.

7. A general definition is always good, but specifics should be left to the individual (which usually occurs anyway).

@ Liminal Beast:

Thank you for input. :) It's really appreciated!

I'm going to make a list of the most suggested names and put them out to others so we can get this thing settled once and for all. Or I'll stick them in a random generator to see which pops out. I'm awful with decision making of names because I have no sense of naming things.

Lindiel
May 30th, 2013, 01:51 PM
I'm going to make a list of the most suggested names and put them out to others so we can get this thing settled once and for all. Or I'll stick them in a random generator to see which pops out. I'm awful with decision making of names because I have no sense of naming things.

By my count (which may or may not be accurate XP) we're at:

Liminal Wilderness- 4 votes

Liminal Animality- 2.5 votes

The Menagerie- 2 votes
Liminal Spaces- 2 votes
Betwixt and Between- 2 votes
Legendary Bestiary- 2 votes

Primal Threshold- 1 vote
L.O.R.E.- 1 vote
The Bestiary- 1 vote

terrorwolf
May 30th, 2013, 05:40 PM
_____

@ terrorwolf:

Let me talk with the staff that I'm slowly gathering. :)
_____

No rush! We can also support IRC and e-mail address needs, or whatever else you may need help with.

Arawn
May 30th, 2013, 05:44 PM
By my count (which may or may not be accurate XP) we're at:

The Menagerie- 2 votes
Liminal Spaces- 2 votes

Primal Threshold- 1 vote
L.O.R.E.- 1 vote
The Bestiary- 1 vote

Thank you! :D I've been busy today (it's my mom's birthday) so I haven't been able to yet.

It looks like Liminal Wilderness it going to top out. Does anyone have any inherent problem with it?

No rush! We can also support IRC and e-mail address needs, or whatever else you may need help with.

That's cool! Thank you so much! <3 I'll definitely talk things over and if we can, do a trial run on a free site before potentially going over to one that's paid -- I'd hate to take donations and then have the site flop.

terrorwolf
May 30th, 2013, 07:20 PM
That's cool! Thank you so much! <3 I'll definitely talk things over and if we can, do a trial run on a free site before potentially going over to one that's paid -- I'd hate to take donations and then have the site flop.

Understandable! It will only take me about 20 minutes to get the forum package setup, if you guys do end up wanting to test it out on a subdomain on weresource.org (Then if you want something on your own domain, it takes about 30 seconds to change-over :P) -- Either way best of luck!

Khamaseen
May 30th, 2013, 07:59 PM
I've put some thought into a potential layout of the forum, as far as how organizing sections goes:

1: Introduction section obviously! I think it would be a good idea to come up with an introduction form asking basic questions like: what aspects of your identity have brought you to a theriomthics forum? what do you want out of a theriomythic-centric forum? any critique/suggestions for the site? and then the basic "get to know you" questions of course

2: The main Theriomythic discussion section

3: Section or subsection of the above for topics specifically pertaining to animality

4: Section or subsection of the above for topics specifically pertaining to otherkin

5: Section or subsection for Popculture people/fictives who experience both animality and otherkin-related things such as My Little Pony, Pokemon, etc.

6: A spirituality and religion section might be useful for some topics, because spirituality and identity often intersect in both communities, so a section specifically dedicated to it could see some use

7: An "other" section with subsections for discussion of multiplicity/plurality, plant people, human animality, polyshifting and fluidity of identity??

This is just a basic outline to get us started, of course, I'd like to hear what the others who are interested in this project have to say about it!

Meirya
May 30th, 2013, 08:19 PM
This project sounds utterly fantastic! I definitely think there's room for this - even back when I identified solely as phoenix (yeeeears ago), I vastly preferred the therian community's focus and tone to the otherkin community's, and it's clear I wasn't the only one.

One suggestion on forum sections... I think fewer is better. You can always add more as the population and activity grows, and thus the need for more sections, but I think broader categories for sub forums is better, at least at first. I've seen a lot of new forums (and old ones for that matter) over the years with tons of sub forums for every imaginable category of interest, and all the activity just seems to concentrate in the more general sections, to the point that any activity in the seldom-used, more specific sections is ignored or unseen. Fewer sub forums also means fewer places for a member to check for interesting threads. I personally don't want to have to click on ten (or even five, to be honest) different links to see everything.

Khamaseen
May 30th, 2013, 08:29 PM
This project sounds utterly fantastic! I definitely think there's room for this - even back when I identified solely as phoenix (yeeeears ago), I vastly preferred the therian community's focus and tone to the otherkin community's, and it's clear I wasn't the only one.

One suggestion on forum sections... I think fewer is better. You can always add more as the population and activity grows, and thus the need for more sections, but I think broader categories for sub forums is better, at least at first. I've seen a lot of new forums (and old ones for that matter) over the years with tons of sub forums for every imaginable category of interest, and all the activity just seems to concentrate in the more general sections, to the point that any activity in the seldom-used, more specific sections is ignored or unseen. Fewer sub forums also means fewer places for a member to check for interesting threads. I personally don't want to have to click on ten (or even five, to be honest) different links to see everything.

That's a good point. It might be a good idea to just combine the Theriomythic section with the Animality and Otherkin specific sections during the trial run, and maybe we shouldn't bother adding some of the other proposed sections that would appeal to a small percentage of people until we are sure we even have those people in our user-base. We'll just have to experiment and consider this a Beta run, I suppose, while we advertise it and then just let it evolve on it's own as we come to understand it's needs.

House of Chimeras
May 30th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Certain sections will likely be a given - Rules/Announcements section, Introduction section, An art/writing/poetry/etc, & Spirituality section. Other than that I do think it might be wise to try to keep it subdued on forums while figuring out the needs of the users that will be there.

Beyond those basics, while an ‘Identity’ section will be needed, if there needs be some kind of division might be hard to know. If anything a terminology section might be needed, but its hard to say for sure.

-Cavern-Risen

Arawn
May 30th, 2013, 09:58 PM
I love all of the suggestions here. :D I'll be going over them and we'll all discuss them in more via Skype or G-talk/g-mail once we can get a time going. :)

I did send out a PM to everyone last night. If you didn't get one from me, please PM me. :)

@ Terrorwolf: Thank you. :D <3 I'll definitely keep all of this in mind.

Faith Formation
May 30th, 2013, 11:36 PM
This sounds like a fantastic idea. We know we haven't been terribly active around here as of late, but we would love to help in any way we can. We have experience setting up and staffing forums, and need a place to talk about experiences like this.

Arawn
May 30th, 2013, 11:46 PM
@ Faith Formation:

Thank you!
___

The Menagerie- 2 votes
Liminal Spaces- 2 votes

Primal Threshold- 1 vote
L.O.R.E.- 1 vote
The Bestiary- 1 vote

It was brought to my attention about a site called Therian Wilderness and that if "Liminal Wilderness" was chosen for a name that it could cause confusion or a sense that the two sites are connected. Someone else in the thread has discussed the issue with Liminal Animality so....we've got these three sites next:

- The Menagerie
- Liminal Spaces
- Betwixt and Between

If y'all would post your vote here (or in PM) for one of the sites above, that'd be appreciated. :3

Meirya
May 31st, 2013, 12:48 AM
I like The Menagerie, myself. Indicates animality while also having connotations of the exotic, which contains the mythic portion of theriomythics.

Bluewing
May 31st, 2013, 05:59 AM
It was brought to my attention about a site called Therian Wilderness and that if "Liminal Wilderness" was chosen for a name that it could cause confusion or a sense that the two sites are connected. Someone else in the thread has discussed the issue with Liminal Animality so....we've got these three sites next:

- The Menagerie
- Liminal Spaces
- Betwixt and Between

If y'all would post your vote here (or in PM) for one of the sites above, that'd be appreciated. :3

I wouldn't be so sure. "Wilderness" is an extremely generic term, and I've seen that to be used on loads of all sorts of communities. I find it unlikely this to cause distraction since the word is so common.

Unless Therian Wilderness actively opposes, I wouldn't take "Liminal Wilderness" out of the consideration. Now I did notice that "Liminal Animality" is already used by Liminal Beast, and I think we should respect that. On the other hand, I don't oppose "The Menagerie" either.

I was more concerned with what Somnia and Sera said about names resembling a completely different purpose or near it. As in that case the name would attract potentially unwanted people, what we may not want in the forums (bestiality, roleplaying).

I've put some thought into a potential layout of the forum, as far as how organizing sections goes:

1: Introduction section obviously! I think it would be a good idea to come up with an introduction form asking basic questions like: what aspects of your identity have brought you to a theriomthics forum? what do you want out of a theriomythic-centric forum? any critique/suggestions for the site? and then the basic "get to know you" questions of course

2: The main Theriomythic discussion section

3: Section or subsection of the above for topics specifically pertaining to animality

4: Section or subsection of the above for topics specifically pertaining to otherkin

5: Section or subsection for Popculture people/fictives who experience both animality and otherkin-related things such as My Little Pony, Pokemon, etc.

6: A spirituality and religion section might be useful for some topics, because spirituality and identity often intersect in both communities, so a section specifically dedicated to it could see some use

7: An "other" section with subsections for discussion of multiplicity/plurality, plant people, human animality, polyshifting and fluidity of identity??

This is just a basic outline to get us started, of course, I'd like to hear what the others who are interested in this project have to say about it!

1 and 2 are pretty much essential, and 6 is something I'd really like myself to have.

About 3, 4, 5 and 7, there will be a problem if someone identifies as a mythical animal. He could both have animalistic and otherkin traits. Now, because he also identifies some traits from the pop culture, for example, how he looks like, it could be about that theme as well. And because he would therefore be unique, it has enough miscellaneous.

Not sure if you got this... what I meant was that it would be hard to classify some topics into any specific forums. Though it's true that there are some topics which are obviously about therianthropy, for example. My idea would be to classify more subsections under theriomythics, so that those who border between many classifications would post at ease over sections without a strict term.

Your method has an advantage as well. If someone wants to look strictly animality-related material, then a subforum about it would be a wise choice.

3. As I said earlier to Arawn, 'hoku was the tech genie behind OKA when it was first created and then later in starting OKP so if need be, I can contact zir regarding tech specific questions. Other than that, I'd think that whomever is onboard the team and can see the behind the scenes of the new forum will be able to figure stuff out as we go along. That's how I did it here when I was made an admin.

Haha, I just posted those as examples what we could at sometimes ponder on, and yet you were initiative and answered those eagerly. .v. Sometimes I love the enthusiasm I see here!

1. Not only that, but web design has another crucial trait: designing. A brilliant coder can create bad pages if they look aesthetically well, and a great designer cannot create pages if he doesn't know how. Templates sound good, and minor CSS tweaking isn't that hard, or creating pictures.

2. That's about how I would expect the process to be as well. When we have the forums, we have loads of opportunities out from there. A chat, for example. :>

3. The therian and otherkin communities have surprisingly many tech experts. ovO I'm sure we can find someone for help, and I doubt they wouldn't be eager giving advice. I understand what you meant about the administration, as often there are also so-called "super admins", those who in additional to the forum maintenance, have database access and such.

4. Yeh, I can see the diversity. I'd myself say that there's no real rules on how many admins or mods etc. should there be (although obviously not like 100+). The key here is to balance the amounts so that there would be enough, as many people interested get the chance to try, but not so much that there would be too many disagreements. It is a skill to found a community which works. One way to accomplish this is to make sure that those who'd love to help each get something to do of their interest, but not in the way that the others get too upset. (Haha, these people are soon some of us. .v.)

Haha, hard to say much about one person being in charge, really. ovo

5. My experiences tell me that who's idea it was usually gets to be the founder as well.

Forum administration is easy enough for the main admin to be the website manager as well, at least during the beginning. If it gets more complex from that, many websites often have separated the founder from the tech admin, if the founder doesn't yet have these skills. This isn't a bad thing, although the tech admin would need to be trusted 100%.

Arawn said he'd be willing to learn, so this won't be a problem.

6. Technically it is so, as we have quite an abundance to choose from. But what is tough is to dedicate time. I know from experience that not everyone has unlimited time, and ultimately some need to quit because of various reasons. Some could stay incredibly dedicated, and if this would happen here the it would be awesome! I'd suggest that at some point we'd just make inquiries about how much time we all have and what we'd like to ideally do.

7. Precisely my thoughts! I'm so glad to see you agree.

Lindiel
May 31st, 2013, 09:01 AM

- The Menagerie
- Liminal Spaces
- Betwixt and Between

I'm tossing my vote in for The Menagerie as well.

Somnia
May 31st, 2013, 09:15 AM
To make voting easier, decide on what names you'd like to use and create a poll.

Arawn
May 31st, 2013, 09:49 AM
To make voting easier, decide on what names you'd like to use and create a poll.

Thank you! That entirely slipped my mind as option. o.o The poll can be found here (http://www.werelist.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32923).

A further note:

If you haven't sent me your g-mail or your Skype account, please do so. I'm trying to figure out which one everyone has and has easier access to. I do have a group set up on Skype already, but that's because that one's easier to do without everyone being on. (If you've seen the 'testing' message, please say so. :) ) For Skype, I won't be calling anyone via videochat. It'll all be done via text, promise. :3 For G-mail, the same goes since there's apparently a video chat on there that I didn't know about.

Sonne_Spiritwind
May 31st, 2013, 10:31 AM
Thank you! That entirely slipped my mind as option. o.o The poll can be found here (http://www.werelist.net/forums/showthread.php?t=32923).

A further note:

If you haven't sent me your g-mail or your Skype account, please do so. I'm trying to figure out which one everyone has and has easier access to. I do have a group set up on Skype already, but that's because that one's easier to do without everyone being on. (If you've seen the 'testing' message, please say so. :) ) For Skype, I won't be calling anyone via videochat. It'll all be done via text, promise. :3 For G-mail, the same goes since there's apparently a video chat on there that I didn't know about.

Although I plan to potentially help out as a mod on the site, I won't really be of any help in a chat--I can't keep up with reading the responses, let alone typing a reply (and I wouldn't likely do video chat even if that was an option). However, I wouldn't mind adding some input after a chat, if there would be anything you all would want my opinion on, or someone just posting here or sending out messages to those involved in the project to state what was discussed in the chat(s).

Arawn
May 31st, 2013, 10:36 AM
Although I plan to potentially help out as a mod on the site, I won't really be of any help in a chat--I can't keep up with reading the responses, let alone typing a reply (and I wouldn't likely do video chat even if that was an option). However, I wouldn't mind adding some input after a chat, if there would be anything you all would want my opinion on, or someone just posting here or sending out messages to those involved in the project to state what was discussed in the chat(s).

:) All right. I'll keep a record of the chats to toss them to you afterwards. :) I'd definitely like your input on things. :)

Khamaseen
June 5th, 2013, 05:00 PM
I'm not sure if the forum is technically "open" yet but I did make an account. I've logged in a few times and made a test post while I was at it.

It makes me watch an add to get a code before I'm allowed to log in, which is the most obnoxious form of advertising I've seen on a free site builder before, and it looks like each member has to personally pay out of pocket for the privilege of not having to watch the commercials to get the codes? At least, that's the deal it offered me as a basic member, pay the site a monthly fee to not have to see the adds.

Is the 20 minute limit on editing a post intentional? I usually take advantage of post editing on Werelist and other forums to avoid having to double post if something new occurs to me on a topic but no one else has posted in the thread since I did. I would like to put in my vote to have that time limit removed if it's possible, otherwise I would have to sit and wait for someone else to post to avoid breaking the typical no double-posting rule.

Anyway, just thought I'd put those thoughts here in this thread since it doesn't look like anyone is online for a group chat and I'm not sure if the actual forum is ready for members to make new threads discussing its formation yet.

Bluewing
June 5th, 2013, 05:12 PM
I'm not sure if the forum is technically "open" yet but I did make an account. I've logged in a few times and made a test post while I was at it.

It makes me watch an add to get a code before I'm allowed to log in, which is the most obnoxious form of advertising I've seen on a free site builder before, and it looks like each member has to personally pay out of pocket for the privilege of not having to watch the commercials to get the codes? At least, that's the deal it offered me as a basic member, pay the site a monthly fee to not have to see the adds.

Is the 20 minute limit on editing a post intentional? I usually take advantage of post editing on Werelist and other forums to avoid having to double post if something new occurs to me on a topic but no one else has posted in the thread since I did. I would like to put in my vote to have that time limit removed if it's possible, otherwise I would have to sit and wait for someone else to post to avoid breaking the typical no double-posting rule.

Anyway, just thought I'd put those thoughts here in this thread since it doesn't look like anyone is online for a group chat and I'm not sure if the actual forum is ready for members to make new threads discussing its formation yet.

The information has been sporadic - not everyone has been informed of everything yet, as far as I know. In other words, no meetings, just messages between each other. I'm keen to have a meetup as well.

Anyway. I was unaware the forums are already up. I'd ask for the link, but I'm unsure whether Arawn wants to spread it yet.

Hard to say about advertising because I've not seen the forums, however, my guess is the forums are located on a free hosting service.

Arawn
June 5th, 2013, 05:12 PM

I'm on the group chat right now. o.O I'll check everything out, though.

(I'm left permanently logged in so I wasn't aware of the captcha before it lets you in.)

The information has been sporadic - not everyone has been informed of everything yet, as far as I know. In other words, no meetings, just messages between each other. I'm keen to have a meetup as well.

Anyway. I was unaware the forums are already up. I'd ask for the link, but I'm unsure whether Arawn wants to spread it yet.

Hard to say about advertising because I've not seen the forums, however, my guess is the forums are located on a free hosting service.

I've also been e-mailing things via gmail (I even sent the link out to everyone via e-mail). =/ And then I put everything in the chat on Skype so everyone's got all of the information.=/

Seraphyna
June 5th, 2013, 08:20 PM
I registered and have to be approved, so get on that :p

Arawn
June 5th, 2013, 09:06 PM
I registered and have to be approved, so get on that :p

:P You've been approved.

elinox
June 6th, 2013, 01:00 PM
The forum isn't officially open yet since we're still trying to set things up like graphics and subforums. Patience, people. When the lifeguards are ready, the pool will be opened! :p