PDA

View Full Version : Need some optimism songs... but not too optimistic

Raqui
July 25th, 2013, 08:33 PM
I'm making a playlist that can bring my mood up, inspire confidence, give me energy, etc. Songs about some kind of activity work better than lazy-happy songs. But if it's too blatantly optimistic, like anything singing about blue skies and rainbows, my brain will reject the attitude transplant.

What are some songs that always lift you out of a bad mood?

Wolfgirl44
July 25th, 2013, 08:37 PM
There's this bucket of cheesy goodness, if that's the sort of thing you like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hignzKHphvQ

Also, these:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrTDa3XTUxw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=380Tgb6fIjM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Zan2BqlAmA

yourdeer
July 25th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Everything by Fleet Foxes. Also Ratatat.

Livvy
July 25th, 2013, 10:19 PM
I'm making a playlist that can bring my mood up, inspire confidence, give me energy, etc. Songs about some kind of activity work better than lazy-happy songs. But if it's too blatantly optimistic, like anything singing about blue skies and rainbows, my brain will reject the attitude transplant.

What are some songs that always lift you out of a bad mood?

*laughs* if you knew me, you'd know that nearly any music question is going to result in my listing of nearly all classic rock songs.

But not always!

Hmm, I'm thinking through a migraine-ish headache at the moment, so let me slowly think.

Elton John: "The Bitch is Back" (lol I love it)
"Your Song"
The Wallflowers: "One Headlight"
Fastball: "The Way"
U2: "Walk On" & "Wild Honey" & "Angel of Harlem"
Sugar Ray: "Every Morning"
Steely Dan: "Reelin' in the Years"
Looking Glass: "Brandy"
James Taylor: "Mexico"
James Blunt: "Stay the Night"
Fun.: "Some Nights"
Five for Fighting: "The Riddle"
Cream: "White Room"
Billy Joel: "River of Dreams"
Many, many Beatles songs! :D

hotdogwolf
July 26th, 2013, 10:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4mR9FHNrXA Here is one. This one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAhI6D2fSK8

Akhila
July 26th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Shaka Ponk has really energetic/bouncy music. You can find them on Youtube.

The Lurking Fox
July 26th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Let me preface what I'm about to say with this: I have eclectic tastes in music and the things I like are definitely not for everyone. YouTube with caution.

Gosh darn it, Yourdeer, you young whippersnapper, I was gonna say Fleet Foxes. *sulk*

I'd also put Daft Punk up thar, if you like electronica at all. Specifically the Alive 2007 album in which the remix everything they'd done up to that point (Homework, Discovery, Human After All) at a live concert. It's pretty much the best thing they've ever done. Random Access Memories, their new album, is very very very different for them and very 70s disco, but it's pretty durn upbeat and enjoyable. I think Discovery is worth a mention all on its own, too.

Works by Man Man might do the trick, too. Yourdeer would know the album names better than me, but I've always been fond of "Engrish Bwudd."

A lot of Rusted Root's works might work in this capacity as well. I'm mostly familiar with When I Awoke which has "Send Me On My Way," famous for its appearance in Ice Age.

A few individual songs:

"Cat and the Moon" from the soundtrack of the musical of The Lord of the Rings. It's pretty much a basic drinking song taken out of the books, but I think it's a pile of fun.

"Song of the Lonely Mountain" by Neil Finn from The Hobbit soundtrack. I like how it combines folk and industrial, plus it's definitely a "We're gonna keep on fighting!" song.

"Concerning Hobbits" from The Fellowship of the Ring soundtrack is a lovely, soothing-but-not-sleepy instrumental piece.

"Tender" by Blur is a favorite of mine. It might be a more melancholy form of uplifting, but it gets me all the same.

"December" by Collective Soul strikes me as a possibility, though my opinion of it is heavily colored by childhood nostalgia.

"Consolers of Lonely" by The Raconteurs also seems possible, though it's a bit biting/angry, so it would depend on how you get your kicks.

"The Impression That I Get" by the Mighty Mighty Bosstones is tainted by my childhood nostalgia, but it's pretty bouncy musically.

"The Blues Are Still Blue" by Belle and Sebastian is both musically upbeat and lyrically seems to be talking about how things go to sh*t sometimes, but that it's okay.

"The Dog Days Are Over" by Florence and the Machine is also a strong uplifter on musical and lyrical levels.

"Float On" by Modest Mouse is a pretty obvious contender in this category as well.

"Within A Mile of Home" by Flogging Molly has always given me a positive, "coming home" feeling; though I think the lyrics are actually pretty depressing.

What follows hereafter is bizzaro land; anything hard to find or related to video games or otherwise pretty niche:

If you like J-Pop at all, I'd point to "Splash Free" by Style Five (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uomsEhfkAJ8) from the ending creds of Free! (which is apparently all I can talk about lately). The single won't be released until Aug. 7th, though.

Continuing the weirdo/hard to find note: "Fragments of Memory" by Nobuo Uematsu from the Final Fantasy VIII soundtrack is not terrible uplifting, perhaps, but it is very childlike, and I've always found it phenomenally comforting. Similar sentiments towards "Blue Fields," "Balamb Garden," "Fisherman's Horizon," and "Breezy" off the same soundtrack. Of course, the game is from 1996 so those are all MIDI format at best. I'd also point to "Not Alone" and "Vamo Alla Flamenco" from the Final Fantasy IX soundtrack, and "Besaid Island" and "Spiran Scenery" from the Final Fantasy X soundtrack. There are orchestral versions of most of these available from albums such as Distant Worlds I and II, the Piano Collections of any of them, and Fithos Lusec Wecos Vinosec for FFVIII specifically. How hard any of it is to find is pretty variable, though.

"Time's Scar" from the Chrono Cross soundtrack is also pretty rad. Starts off melancholic but soothing and then rides up into excitement. Like the Final Fantasy songs, you could have some difficulty finding the original of this, but there are also orchestral versions by folks like the Video Game Orchestra.

I know Homestuck is one of the most hated things/fandoms on the internet, but there's a music site attached to it that has some pretty quality products. You can find that site here (http://homestuck.bandcamp.com/) and pick and choose at your leisure, but, as with anything Homestuck, there is A LOT to pick through. Some songs I'd put up a good word for in particular are "Doctor" (Homestuck Vol. 4), "Planet Healer" (Homestuck Vol. 5), and "I'm a Member of the Midnight Crew" (Homestuck Vol. 8; an acapella version of an old, old song). There's others I love too, but most of the ones I like are more epic than uplifting.

"Back Hall" from the Amnesia: The Dark Descent OST is also a pile of soothing, but I would recommend avoiding every other song on that album.

I'd also heartily recommend the entirety of the Bastion OST. I actually picked up that soundtrack long before I'd ever played the game and fell wildly in love with it. (One year at PAX the Bastion booth was playing it and the sounds trapped me there as I walked by.) I probably would never have played Bastion if not for the OST, actually. So defs a good one, and a lot of it is upbeat/boogie-able.

"Burn My Dread" (and its remixes) from the Persona 3 OST is very uplifting lyrically speaking (title says it all), though to be fair the singer's accent makes deciphering the lyrics difficult.

"Tank!" and "Too Good, Too Bad" from the Cowboy Bebop OST are both jazzy and high-spirited, if you're into that sort of thing.

If you're into Star Wars or Star Trek then ArmCannon's "Star Wrek" might amuse you into cheerfulness. I also genuinely love their "Cornoa to Rigor" (based on Chrono Trigger).

There are also some really excellent 8-bit style songs on the Sword and Sworcery OST, some of which are very triumphant.

Also on the J-Pop-ier side of things "Everlasting Love + You" off of the Katamari Forever OST (I think it was; I can't tell from my iTunes 'cause I can't read Japanese) is pretty radical.

There's also a pile of tracks on the Okami OST that I think are either soothing or uplifting. The themes for Shinshu Fields come to mind in particular.

Anyway, that is probably way more than enough and somewhat tangential so I am just going to end this gargantuan post here.