PDA

View Full Version : Awereness forums are back up and need some content!

Savage
January 1st, 2014, 11:02 PM
http://forums.therianthropy.org/forum.php is an excellent therian resource with a very different community feel that has been around for many years with some recent downtime. They are back up, and have the potential to be a really useful community niche for folks who like a 'rough and ready' environment that is more like old style Usenet.

Go over and show them some love if you have the time, and you might find a community niche you really enjoy. Wishing everyone a great 2014!

Naia
January 11th, 2014, 12:50 PM
I joined the community, more as an observer than anything else, and promoted it on my Tumblr resources list that I routinely post. We're currently figuring out what to do with Wulf Howl's main site, but when that's figured out, I'll add it to the resources list on the main site too. It doesn't seem like the type of community for me, but I know many who would love it.

Savage
January 11th, 2014, 06:42 PM
It doesn't seem like the type of community for me, but I know many who would love it.

Great! The fact is, no single forum is going to be able to meet the needs of our greater community - different folks have very different needs and comfort levels. I think it is EXTREMELY important that we actively support and promote places that are substantially different from each other and that serve different segments of intentional community.

So thanks for giving Awereness some love, and keep up the great work with Wulf Howl!

Siverwolf
January 13th, 2014, 11:39 PM
Nice to see it back up, although I never new it was down.

I pack-up with three other Therian related sites and that's all I can deal with for now. Not enough time.

Siverwolf.

Somnia
January 18th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Nice to see it back up, although I never new it was down.

It's been down for years, I think, but if you were not a regular user you might not have noticed.

Mahigan
January 26th, 2014, 03:16 AM
Went and made an account. I'll try to post something decent! :)

Somnia
March 5th, 2015, 10:48 PM
I haven't visited The Awereness forums in a long time, and when I tried to go to the website I get a "404 Not Found" page. Is the website having maintenance or has it shut down again? :confused:

House of Chimeras
March 5th, 2015, 11:25 PM
I just checked and the main page is all new in its layout colors with several "test 1" and "test 2" tabs with text saying,

The plans for a March 1st rollout are on hold for a bit but we are still actively working on rebuilding this site as a new form of social network for the therian community. Please check back in the future to keep track of our progress and we hope to see a lot of you after we're up and operational.

- Dracone

Somnia
March 6th, 2015, 12:38 AM
I'm still getting the "404" error page thing. :confused:

Anuolf
March 10th, 2015, 09:48 PM
I'm still getting the "404" error page thing. :confused:

Because you're navigating to the old forums.therianthropy.org/forums page. Try this one http://www.therianthropy.org/ Not that it helps much, but at least you'll see the message previously stated about a new roll out happening at some point.

Sonne_Spiritwind
March 11th, 2015, 12:24 AM
The Awereness Forums was shut down again--there was a post on the board about it relatively recently (don't recall when exactly it was posted, nor when the site fully shut down--or the forums, at least). The decision was, I think, primarily due to the huge lack of activity on the site for most of the time it had been back. Sorry that it's not there anymore and likely won't come back :(.

(Though I don't anything currently about that "new rollout" regarding making the site into a therian social network thing. Maybe they've decided to go the more 'social network' route while saying goodbye to the forum format?)

Anuolf
March 15th, 2015, 12:10 PM
It would make more sense, considering the general lack of attention to forums in recent years. I know of many people, primarily on Facebook, that have never even heard of other communities off of Facebook and other social media such as Tumblr and Twitter. I definitely think there's a big demand for a therian/furry based social networking site, with Facebook's real-name policy getting many therian/furry accounts locked completely.

It would also be helpful to quell more of the misinformation that buzzes around these Facebook and Tumblr communities like flies to horse shit. We won't be able to fully extinguish the passing of such bad information, that I know. But perhaps this step [if it is still planned] in the right direction for the online therian community. Forums are great, but we also need to adapt to a younger generation of possible therians. 10 years ago forums were big and easy to look for. Nowadays, the younger folks are all about the social media and less about forums [even though some do get referred here].

Seraphyna
April 4th, 2015, 09:08 AM
It would make more sense, considering the general lack of attention to forums in recent years. I know of many people, primarily on Facebook, that have never even heard of other communities off of Facebook and other social media such as Tumblr and Twitter. I definitely think there's a big demand for a therian/furry based social networking site, with Facebook's real-name policy getting many therian/furry accounts locked completely.

It would also be helpful to quell more of the misinformation that buzzes around these Facebook and Tumblr communities like flies to horse shit. We won't be able to fully extinguish the passing of such bad information, that I know. But perhaps this step [if it is still planned] in the right direction for the online therian community. Forums are great, but we also need to adapt to a younger generation of possible therians. 10 years ago forums were big and easy to look for. Nowadays, the younger folks are all about the social media and less about forums [even though some do get referred here].

^This. There are seemingly very few of us who remotely know what we're talking about on Tumblr and it's only marginally better on Facebook depending what groups you join.

Uriel
April 5th, 2015, 01:49 AM
Alright, so I would have posted regarding this earlier were it not for the fact that I haven't taken the time to frequent the Werelist in many many years. While I appreciate Savage mentioning the fact that the Awereness Forums were back up we went a full year without a single post, outside of a quick introduction. Interestingly, there were still new user sign-ups.

Yes, as for therianthropy.org itself, the plan is to be going in the twitter/facebook direction. Fair warning in advance, I work a full time job so development is going more slowly than I may like and its in the grand scheme of things an experiement so.. I guess time will tell.

Anuolf
April 5th, 2015, 12:46 PM
Take your time, Uath. I'm sure everyone understands [myself especially]. I thank you for popping on here to add in some information about it! It's actually quite appreciated!

lonewolf
April 18th, 2015, 12:24 AM
Wow, I've been gone, so long, I didn't know all this was going on. So, there are facebook groups?

Cinos
May 17th, 2015, 09:57 AM
Facebook groups wouldn't cut it for therianthropy. I don't want my real identify connected to therianthropy. Call me paranoid, but I wouldn't want employers and such seeing that.

Somnia
May 17th, 2015, 10:10 AM
@ Cinos - I know what you mean. I keep an email account specific for anything therianthropy related, so if I did decide to join a therian Facebook group, I'd use my therian email to create a separate Facebook profile from my personal one.

GrayTooth
May 17th, 2015, 01:05 PM
Facebook groups wouldn't cut it for therianthropy. I don't want my real identify connected to therianthropy. Call me paranoid, but I wouldn't want employers and such seeing that.

Absolutely - definitely don't think it's considered paranoid. I'd call it smart, but not paranoid.

I actually have a separate account, which is completely anonymous, for friends and things therian related. That way employers don't have access to it.

Seraphyna
May 17th, 2015, 10:54 PM

Most of us have made a separate account for such things.

I also recommend everyone to make their "real life" Facebook page's private so no one can access your information aside from your friends.

cheetah
May 17th, 2015, 11:02 PM
Interestingly, therianthropy.org itself seems to be down. Is that supposed to be the case? Could have sworn it had a perfectly good non-social site attached.

Savage
May 17th, 2015, 11:06 PM
Is there anything we can do to help? It would be sad to lose another community space people can call home.

Uriel
July 23rd, 2015, 01:35 PM
Yeah, so the site being down is part of the problem here. I am not the biggest fan of my host, soon as I get some cash together I plan a migration. Still, not much point if we can give Werelist the features necessary to a good social media site and it feels we're well on the way with the new setup. Might have to figure out something else for T.O to do.

Savage
July 23rd, 2015, 07:19 PM
Yeah, so the site being down is part of the problem here. I am not the biggest fan of my host, soon as I get some cash together I plan a migration. Still, not much point if we can give Werelist the features necessary to a good social media site and it feels we're well on the way with the new setup. Might have to figure out something else for T.O to do.

One of the original purposes of the Werelist was specifically to be a hub to support many community sites. There is definitely a need for sites with different culture and community that can serve a broader spectrum of needs.

Every site walks a different line on the tightropes between acceptance and critical thinking, spirituality and skepticism, and many other issues. While the way we walk it is intended to be inclusive and welcoming, the reality is that there are people whose needs deserve to be met who are not going to be comfortable here. One of the most important goals we have is to support diversity in the therian community and to do our best to drive traffic outward rather than try to be a 'one stop shop'.

So please don't think that it's bad for you to compete with Werelist, or that you shouldn't. It's not a competition and you most certainly should if you can!

This said, it's totally understandable if it's not feasible for you in this place at this time. In which case you are very welcome to join us in offering your support and shape to the community here.