PDA

View Full Version : Forum on spirituality

Bartholomew
March 7th, 2015, 09:19 PM
Hello to all. I am considering the idea of a spiritual/occult/paranormal forum, as experienced by therians.
This a forum to talk about Spirituality, Magick, Shamanism, Wicca, Paganism, Christian(And other forms of) Mysticism, Philosophy, Ethics, Spirits, Ghosties, Ghoulies and Things that go Bump in the Night, to mention just a few of the possible subjects. The forum would focus on the therian experience, but would be open to mythologicals, otherkin and even mainstreamers. I am asking for several things with this post.

I. Expressions of interest.
II. Suggestions of all sorts.
III. Possible moderators(janitors, bottlewashers, hall monitors, etc.) A forum of this sort needs to be fairly closely watched, lest the flame wars burn it into so much ash.
IV. Other resources, everything from formats to art to links.

If you are interested, feel free to post here, or pm me at will.

Barth

Hazel Moon
March 8th, 2015, 02:32 AM
I am very interested in this. This sounds extremely good and I would very much like to join a forum like this.

I'm Wiccan and would love a place where I could discuss both therianthropy and magick with others who have similar interests. I'm also quite interested in spiritual matters, ghosts and the occult.

I say go for it. This forum sounds like it will be a wonderful place.

Cantagir
March 8th, 2015, 10:35 AM
I'm interested too. If it ends up being made I'll definitely check it out!

Perhaps divination could be a section too? It might not be something most will connect to their therianthropy, but the same probably goes for other topucs you mentioned too, so...

Bartholomew
March 8th, 2015, 02:57 PM
I myself am a diviner, generally with Tarot. So I can safely say a section on that subject is a go. Probably a carefully moderated section on sexuality and gender issues as well
The biggest issue will be moderators. A site like this does tend to be a troll magnet. Not to mention the person who has found "The One True Way" and wants to share it, perhaps forcefully, with us all.

Barth

Savage
March 8th, 2015, 06:00 PM
Great idea. Does anyone have specific suggestions or resources, such as the ability to offer their time to serve this community as a moderator, or willingness to volunteer server space, coding ability, etc?

Cantagir
March 9th, 2015, 12:17 PM
I'm kind if tempted to volunteer as mod actually... I just never performed any moderation duties, and I'm not sure if a compketely inexperienced person is what you want for something like this.

DarkFox
March 9th, 2015, 02:15 PM
I'm interested in this forum too. I'm a occult student (self student) and my interest now is on chaos magick, so it will be good to have a section of it.

Bartholomew
March 9th, 2015, 02:19 PM
A mod for a forum like this needs some knowledge of the subject, an open minded approach to people's issues, a certain lack of tolerance for bullys, and above all, common sense. As to experience, I might suggest pming Savage. He may well have an FAQ for moderators stashed away somewheres. :) Also feel free to pm or email me.

Barth

Bartholomew
March 9th, 2015, 02:24 PM
Chaos magick is...interesting, DarkFox. A strong case can be made that all magick is chaotic in nature. I am primarily a ritual magician and divinner, myself, but I'm sure we will fit in sections on varied magical theories and traditions.

Barth

Savage
March 9th, 2015, 04:09 PM
A mod for a forum like this needs some knowledge of the subject, an open minded approach to people's issues, a certain lack of tolerance for bullys, and above all, common sense. As to experience, I might suggest pming Savage. He may well have an FAQ for moderators stashed away somewheres. :) Also feel free to pm or email me.

Barth

Nope! While I don't mind if you borrow anything you find in the Werelist rules and guides, and I support this project and want to see it succeed, I must decline any personal involvement. I want it to grow and develop separately from Werelist and any influence that I might have personally. That's the point of encouraging diversity in the therian community. ;)

Let me see if I can throw up a few more public open-source type resources on this subject for people to take or leave as they choose.

Savage
March 9th, 2015, 04:22 PM
Here you go - the absolute best primer on forum moderation I can offer. No, it's not actually about forums at all, but the key concepts are really excellent and are what we base our staff policies on here.

Servant Leadership

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servant_leadership and https://greenleaf.org/what-is-servant-leadership/

Bartholomew
March 9th, 2015, 06:44 PM
Many thanks!

Barth

Astral
March 9th, 2015, 08:25 PM
I'm highly interested in the forum as well! I'm Wiccan and would love to have discussions about magick, deities, ghosts/spirits, etc. Great idea!

Charliepaw
March 29th, 2015, 03:09 AM
I am interested in helping to start a forum like this, and would educate myself to be able to help be a moderater if I had time to educate myself more on how to moderate. I do like to think that I have a good common sense of things that are not acceptable. I hope you would still be interested in starting a new forum. I would contribute the best that I could to help I'm any way. :)

Bartholomew
March 29th, 2015, 03:42 AM
That would give us 3 moderators, which is enough. I'll pm you, and let's see what we can come up with.

Barth

Zoochotic
March 29th, 2015, 10:33 AM
[Post removed]

Seraphyna
March 29th, 2015, 03:38 PM
I'd be happy to help with staffing, but I'm not remotely spiritual haha. Feel free to message me if you want any input.

DarkFox
March 30th, 2015, 12:10 PM
That's great, more people with forum interest. I can moderate the chaos magick session if you will, or any other section. That will be good for me to study more.

Keelah
April 3rd, 2015, 04:52 AM
This is very interesting. I am a highly spiritual type and am genuinely interested in other spiritual experiences/beliefs (i just came home after talking about spirituality and the afterlife for 2 hours).

I am a Daoist/Buddhist. If there are positions open I could also help moderate.

If there is one criticism/idea its that I think the forum should be open for everyone. Otherwise we can all discuss the same things here. But if we all created a forum that welcomed therians and "mainstreamers" alike for healthy discussion would be amazing.

Somnia
April 3rd, 2015, 02:17 PM
I'd be interested in joining a therian spirituality forum.

Bartholomew
April 3rd, 2015, 04:27 PM
Keelah, I quite agree. We need all sorts of viewpoints if we are going to learn something. To boot, I know that many pagan mainstreamers will be interested, if they hear about it. Reactions from pagans/witches have always been positive for me. I'd like some christian points of view, as well, though I'm less optimistic there. And yes, we could use another moderator. PM me, if you like.

Darkfox, I'd love to have you help out, but as I understand it, you're a minor. If I am mistaken on that, please pm me.

Seraphyna, I do need tech help, if you're interested. And, oddly enough, you don't need to be 'spiritual' to do this kind of thing. All you need to be is open-minded. Ethics, parapsychology and any number of other subjects aren't about 'belief'. And examining beliefs critically, without rancor, is good for everyone.

Somnia, I'd love to have you. I see you everywhere on Werelist, you're articulate and thoughtful. Your input would be a blessing.

At present, I'm working on a format for the forum. Then I plan to get intros written for each of the subjects. Proboards looks like the host, but I'm VERY willing to get input on that. PMs or post it here. I'll try to post a basic breakdown of subjects in the next day or so, for opinions.

Barth

Cayto
April 30th, 2015, 02:04 AM
I'm late to the party, but I'd LOVE this. I've been wishing for a forum like that to exist and would love to be a part of it. I can't wait to see.:D

dreams-and-shadows
April 30th, 2015, 03:22 AM
I'm also late to this (not sure how I missed it before) but I think a forum like this would be great.

Alliana
April 30th, 2015, 11:06 AM
I am also interested in such a forum. :) I probably won't be welcome at such a forum though but even so, I hope it will succeed.

Bartholomew
April 30th, 2015, 05:01 PM
And why would you not be? *Smiles* You seem rational and relatively erudite.

Barth

Alliana
April 30th, 2015, 06:32 PM
And why would you not be? *Smiles* You seem rational and relatively erudite.

Barth

I dunno, I guess I am just thinking that from our last debate that I was rather biased and unfair to people who adhered to feminism.

I am glad that I would be welcome there though, spirituality is definitely a big thing for me. :)

Bartholomew
May 1st, 2015, 01:02 AM
I can always handle people disagreeing with me. :) I do not claim to be the last word on anything, though I have some very strongly held beliefs. Debate is healthy, and ought never to be discouraged. You will be quite welcome there, I'm sure.

Barth

Vintage
May 8th, 2015, 04:40 PM
A forum open to otherkin and spiritual topics? I am so for this.