Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Herps (reptiles and amphibians)

Default Herps (reptiles and amphibians)

Just curious who out there is into herpetology or the hobby of herping. What do you do to put yourself around herps? Favorite herps? Reason you like herps?

I'm an currently an intern at a zoo in the reptile department, which puts me around all types of herps on a regular basis. I also own my own snake at the moment, and have cared for my father's snakes and lizards too.

I hope to possibly get a volunteer position either at a local place that does venomous, or with a local gator park so I can work crocodillians. I'd like to work with crocodillians and venomous professionally.

What got me into herps? Steve Irwin helped, but really, I just love em. They're so beautiful it just about makes me want to cry. ^^ Like Phelsuma. Can you possibly picture anything cuter?

I try to go herping regularly, as its relaxing and rejuvinating for me to get out in the 'wild'. I haven't been recently cause things have been busy at the zoo and with school.

My favorite herps would have to be Squmates (snakes and lizards) and crocodillians (alligators, crocs, caymen, and a few other species).

I'd have to admit, I'm not big on amphibs, mainly cause they're so jumpy and so fragile (the care that goes into them at the zoo is insane). I do think they are cute, and enjoy them from time to time. Just not something I'd want to work with 24/7.

So, who else? ^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries

One garter snake, one adult flour beetle I tried to feed to the snake, one cricket frog, and one anole. In my experiance, cricket frogs can actually be self-sufficent. Once, after moving some frogs from one tank to another, I accidently left one behind (they hide very, very well). About a year later I found it while cleaning out another cage. It was perfectly fine, if a bit thin.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Aww, I like garter snakes. ^^ I'm a big fan of the colubrids. One of these days I'd like to get a souther black racer. But then again I also want a beardie, a goanna, a phelsuma, and a venomous, so it's definitley not something that's going to happen anytime soon.

I -might- have seen and worked with a cricket frog. Not entirely sure though. Do you have pictures?

To work the amphibs at the zoo you must wear gloves, and because their skin is so permeable you can only use treated water on them. Untreated water, or anything else we use for cleaning, would kill them if it got on them.

Which would be sad, because the poison dart frogs and coqui are so much fun. I like the other amphibs as well, but I don't really do much with them because they're in another building and I spend most of my working time in the herp.

Anoles are fun. I was shocked to hear that one zoo was collecting them for like $1 a piece. Down here in FL you almost step on 20 of them just walking out the door. Apparently they get less common the more north you go.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries

They're genus Acris, from North America, and are very small. They are also indestructable. Photos can be found here
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

I had a corn snake in college and currently have a white's tree frog. I was kind of thrown into the amphibian thing at work. I was hired at an aquarium and "assigned" the amphibian exhibit. We didn't have to wear gloves, but we had to either wash with antibacterial soap or chlorinate our hands between exhibits. Favorite species? Probably axolotls and tree frogs *nod*.

Blog Entries

I always liked Kassina maculatas- red-legged walking frogs. Gorgeous animals, but very good at escaping.

Cheetah,

Yeah, I think I was cleaning out an aquarium and there turned out to be a cricket frog in there (which wasn't supposed to be there). I don't think he made it. He wasn't acting quite right....

The coqui are also very good at escaping, which can be bad. At the zoo it would be better to kill one then let it escape. Which is sad, but its the best preventative measures we got. It also means we're very careful with them (we breed them at the zoo), and I'll tell you what, they are the hoppin-est damn things I ever saw.

Seraphyna, corn snakes are so cute! I thought about getting one, but they are really common, and I wanted something I could educate people on. So I got my hognose, and I'm glad I did. He's such a sweetie. I wouldn't mind having aa corn though. I love the red-red and the red-grey color morphs...

That's interesting that you didn't have to wear gloves. There is one species that we work with (golden poison dart frog) which is still toxic in captivity, and that's a no brainer. But with the others, I dunno if its as much for their protection, or ours.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oh gosh ive always LOVED reptiles and amphibians. My favorite kinds of animals ever since I was little. At school during recess I will always make my way to the field to try and find little toads, skinks, snakes~ Sometimes I would raise the tadpoles and eggs I find in puddles and they grow into TINY little frogs, almost as tiny as this letter 'O' right here. I recall that they were black with tiny yellow spots, which made me wary of whether they are poisonous or not. I let them go later on.

If i had the chance I will definitely want to work with reptiles , venomous snakes especially. I wanted to get a snake for a long time, but my mother disapproves. However I do have a five year old , grumpy male iguana, and I love him so much. He owns the entire living room :l

I, am a herptculturist. In the past i have cared for a leopard Gecko, two veiled chameleons, and a horned frog. I'd really like to get a snake once I move out though, and maybe another leo one of these days.

I'm also a field herper. This summer, though, I only saw some garter snakes and various frogs here in DE, in VA I saw a bunch of snapping turtles, a red eared slider, and some tree frogs!

I do love herps! I might even be a herp myself.

Wow Ice Blitz, you are so lucky to be able to work at a zoo! I hope you get the volunteer position you want.

I'm sort of an amateur herp-hobbyist; my field/specialty is toads (the common toad, I mean- nothing exotic). I've had a lot of pet toads in my life and caughten hundred of toads and frogs in the wild. After having so many toads, and for so long, I've learned a lot about them and gotten to see things most people don't (like a toad eating or shedding it's skin- which is actually pretty gross XD ).

Toads are just SO adorable! They're definitely far cuter than any kitten I've seen! Heh, no offense to any cat therians. If I could choose a theriotype, I'd definitely choose toad! (I wonder if there are any toad therians out there...)

I once had a huge pet toad (about the size of my fist) named His Majesty. People thought I was nuts when they'd see me carrying my large toad around, refering to it as 'His Majesty' (sometimes I sort of over did it just to be funny).
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]