Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 52

Thread: Do you smell people?

  1. #41

    Default

    Smell and memory are actually closely linked. I'm not sure if everyone knows why, though.

    "A smell can bring on a flood of memories, influence people's moods and even affect their work performance. Because the olfactory bulb is part of the brain's limbic system, an area so closely associated with memory and feeling it's sometimes called the "emotional brain," smell can call up memories and powerful responses almost instantaneously.


    [SIZE=1]William Thomas Cain/Getty Images
    [/SIZE][SIZE=2]We make most of our olfactory memories as children.[/SIZE]
    The olfactory bulb has intimate access to the amygdala, which processes emotion, and the hippocampus, which is responsible for associative learning. Despite the tight wiring, however, smells would not trigger memories if it weren't for conditioned responses. When you first smell a new scent, you link it to an event, a person, a thing or even a moment. Your brain forges a link between the smell and a memory -- associating the smell of chlorine with summers at the pool or lilies with a funeral. When you encounter the smell again, the link is already there, ready to elicit a memory or a mood. Chlorine might call up a specific pool-related memory or simply make you feel content. Lilies might agitate you without your knowing why. This is part of the reason why not everyone likes the same smells."

    http://health.howstuffworks.com/smell3.htm

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    East Rutherford,NJ
    Posts
    6

    Default

    I smell people too. I love the way my boyfriend and son smell. My boyfriend's really understanding and lets me just lay on him and smell him. My son just laughs. He probably thinks it's a game... but then he sniffs me back. I always wonder if he'll grow up to be an animal too. He certainly loves animals enough, especially dogs.
    [FONT=Fixedsys]-Timmeu-[/FONT]:D
    "Everything is mind over matter. If I don't mind, it don't matter!"

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    u.s.a N.J
    Posts
    4,979

    Default

    I try not to smell people. Some, Well a lot of human beings can smell really bad and I rather not know what they smell like.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    The West
    Posts
    3,455
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default

    People I know well and have a pretty decent measure of comfort with? Totally, and it's generally a mutually happy thing.

    People I don't know at all... well, basically what Hige said. I'd really rather not smell them. One of my hugest pet peeves is being in public and being forced to smell strangers. Usually rather than being a body odor problem, it's a perfume problem. Middle aged women are the biggest offenders. It can really detract from a meal for me to have to smell some lady's perfume while I'm eating. A lot of our taste perception comes from simultaneous scent reception, and so the cloying, sickly smell of perfume can absolutely affect my enjoyment of my food.

    I was half a mile out on a national park trail a couple days ago and even out there in the open air, a lady who hiked past was easily smelled at a distance. Why? Why the heck do people wear so much cologne and perfume that strangers can smell them 20 meters away? So gross. I'd much rather be around the people I know who don't wear deodorant, even though that can be strong at times too. It's not a pleasant smell, but at least it isn't so assaulting as perfume.

    In general, I noticed more smells from casual friends and acquaintances when I was in school, and in closer quarters with more people. I still do notice smells from people, but I work with fewer people and frequently outside, so it's usually less distinct.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    u.s.a N.J
    Posts
    4,979

    Default

    As for animal and therian smells. I have no problem smelling dogs or animals. A lot of animals smell nice and as for therians. Shugs, Well I never meet a therian in real life before but I don't think there smell or scent would smell bad. Right.? You guys tell me. Now when I am not out riding my bike or walking in hot summer heat. I don't smell but went I am running around outside in the heat and the sun. I do sweat a lot and I am sure I smell. But after I take a shower, I am fine and I don't smell bad.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Rotterdam, the Netherlands
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Most people smell offensive to me but strangely enough most animals do not. The only animal smell which really bugs me is...giraffes. I do like them a lot, just not their smell which is weird to me personally.

    The worst offenders with smell are not so much actual body odors but people who use gallons of perfume; it makes me gag.
    My partner's smell is definitely my favorite; he thinks it is funny but allows me to sniff him.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    N.Y
    Posts
    678
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    I think both animals and people tend to stink. The only smell I like is a nicely groomed horse. Reminds me of home that's not really home. I like anyone who wears vanilla or a light scent. It can be very attractive to me. I'm not a therian who is repulsed by smell completely ALTHOUGH if it is on my "territory" like my bed, I do not like it. I'll be honest, on hot nights, a sweaty bed coming from me is not pleasant at all. I rather have all things smelling neutral or clean.
    I can't even tolerate food smells sometimes- I just hate any smell that lingers.
    Timber wolf therian-- changeling-- horse hearted
    ~Being kin is a journey of finding yourself, loosing yourself, searching and doing it all over again.~

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    u.s.a N.J
    Posts
    4,979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    I think both animals and people tend to stink. The only smell I like is a nicely groomed horse. Reminds me of home that's not really home. I like anyone who wears vanilla or a light scent. It can be very attractive to me. I'm not a therian who is repulsed by smell completely ALTHOUGH if it is on my "territory" like my bed, I do not like it. I'll be honest, on hot nights, a sweaty bed coming from me is not pleasant at all. I rather have all things smelling neutral or clean.
    I can't even tolerate food smells sometimes- I just hate any smell that lingers.
    Hmm, Not me Vintage. I think humans stink way more then animals do. I think animal smell better then a human does and would prefer an animal smell over a human one any day. With exceptions of my dogs breath that is. hehe. As for humans having a light sent of what Vintage just put, Hmm I am not to sure on that. That would be a maybe, Maybe not for me. As for food smells. I would say that I don't mind it but just as long as it doesn't last for a few days.
    Last edited by hotdogwolf; December 26th, 2018 at 09:22 PM.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    2,995

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrocutaAbIntra View Post
    Most people smell offensive to me but strangely enough most animals do not. The only animal smell which really bugs me is...giraffes. I do like them a lot, just not their smell which is weird to me personally.

    The worst offenders with smell are not so much actual body odors but people who use gallons of perfume; it makes me gag.
    My partner's smell is definitely my favorite; he thinks it is funny but allows me to sniff him.
    It depends on the non-human animal for me too. Like my cats smell wonderful and I could sniff their fur forever, but my sister's dogs stink! Humans on the other hand, generally smell awful to me. Women wear too much fake perfume and let's just say there are a lot of men who don't wash their hands after urinating! If I can smell you more than 25 feet away, ton the perfume down and wash your hands!

    "That's wolves for ya', good guys!" -Wolf, t10k
    wolf/werewolf | 37 | female | writer | scuba diver | funny | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | eclectic witch

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    u.s.a N.J
    Posts
    4,979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elinox View Post
    It depends on the non-human animal for me too. Like my cats smell wonderful and I could sniff their fur forever, but my sister's dogs stink! Humans on the other hand, generally smell awful to me. Women wear too much fake perfume and let's just say there are a lot of men who don't wash their hands after urinating! If I can smell you more than 25 feet away, ton the perfume down and wash your hands!
    Elinox. It gets worse then that when it comes to humans. What about people who fart in public and other things like body odor.? Did you know in ancient Rome it was illegal to fart in public.? For a time anyway. Kind of wish that law was still in place today. As for human body odor, There are some people who really need to take a shower after they do hard work and not go out and stand in line at a 7/11 store making me try not to smell what you smell like. By the way, This wolf washes his paws after he uses the bathroom.
    Last edited by hotdogwolf; December 28th, 2018 at 07:54 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •