Quote Originally Posted by Analae View Post
[FONT=Garamond][SIZE=3]There currently is a debate in the Therianthropic world that therianthropy is a religion and a choice, though most therians will tell you it is not a choice, and it is not a religion. The documentary film plans to show both sides of the argument.[/SIZE][/FONT]
I, for one, would like to know who is calling therianthropy a religion and a choice. Because, in my experience, only people who have had NO EXPERIENCE with therians or therianthropy claim that it is. It doesn't meet the criteria anyway:

1. Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor

This is not met. We do not believe that therianthropy created the universe or governs it.

2. The life or condition of a person in a religious order

This is not met.

3. A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader

This is not met. We have no spiritual leader, and we don't all believe it is spiritual anyway- in fact, I think I could say safely that a fair majority think it psychological.

4. A cause, a principle, or an activity persued with zeal or a conscientious devotion

This is not met. It does, however, come close. Most of us do not pursue therianthropy with zeal or devotion. I could see some of us doing so, but it is most definitely a small enough minority to be regarded as not affecting our status.

If I can, I would savor the oppurtunity to respond to these ridiculous charges. And yes, I consider them charges. Those same groups (pseudorationalist trolls, in my experience), who claim we are a religion, from everything I have seen, use it to marginalize us and verbally attack us, calling us a cult, wingnuts, moonbats, and Kool-Aid drinkers.

And that's where the clinical lycanthropy angle comes in, which I feel should be part of our arguments against our classification as a religion and a choice.

Which brings me to the choice part of it, to which I say: Judging by how incredibly inconvenient therianthropy can be, and how much effort some of us spend bottling it up, one would think that we would want it gone.

Not that it matters much, when you think about it. Even if therianthropy was a choice to begin with, it isn't now.