Thread: Being at camp.

Default Being at camp.

So this summer I was given the opportunity to staff out at a boyscout camp near where I live. My step-sister had been working there and she had come home one evening saying they were short-staffed, so I offered to come out and help.
    Boyscout camp. There's not going to be too much "roughing it", but I've felt so at home these past few weeks being so close to nature. Every night I'm able to fall asleep to the sound of cicadas and crickets right outside. No highway noises, no unnecessary luxuries. At night it's just you, in a bed with a thin screen between you and the woods outside. It's put me in such a state of peace that I don't want to leave.. Going back to my life at home is going to be so strange.. Here I am able to just go take a hike in the woods whenever I have time off, I'm able to look up and see the stars at night. I'm feeling so very...wild and free out here. It's wonderful, I've been so tempted to howl at the moon, and for the first time in a long time there's no one to give me strange looks for it.
    Who would've guessed that boyscout camp would give me an opportunity to become more at peace with the wolf side of myself? And I love it.
    [FONT=Century Gothic]{<watching, listening, learning>}[/FONT]

Heh, you howl at a Boy Scout camp and you're liable to be answered.

That sounds nice, otsana_red! Camps do bring you closer to nature (forcefully, if needed, lol). And yeah, it does sound nice to be able to just hang around somewhere not surrounded by... 'advanced human civilization' as I call it.

But as WolfVanZandt said, it doesn't sound good to be howling with the other scouts around ya. xD

Hm... Never been to a camp, sadly... Unless you count a one-night field trip in a cabin... Have fun and share any interesting experiences when you come back?

I've also noticed the cicadas; a pretty yet maddening sound.

Camp is fun, although I never go to go to them until I was staffing them!

I'm living in a cabin in the woods right now as part of my job. I'll agree it's a really great way to get in touch with nature. I have a big field full of Ponderosas, Wax Currant, Deer Brush, etc. etc. and its great. Especially since there are many edible plants out there too.

If you howl, you might get answered by other people. Some friends and I were once hiking and jokingly made the "Ca-caw! Ca-caw!" (if that makes sense) and some people all the way on the other side of the valley answered back. It was kind of fun. Then again if your howl is good you might make kids think there's a wolf or coyote out there.

Oooh. I just noticed....Colorado....

Are you in the mountains or on the plains?

Don't worry everyone, I'm careful with my howling. I only do it on nights where campers aren't there up at this place called "the point". It's a cliff that overlooks the valley the camp is by.
    Cicadas are quite maddening, yes. But their sound is one that I associate with summer, and summer is my favorite season.
    @WolfVanZandt- sadly, I'm not in Colorado i do love the mountains there. But I'm in Kansas at the moment. No mountains, but some very lovely wooded valleys here and there.

O.o

Kansas has topography??!?!!

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    Oooh. I just noticed....Colorado....

Are you in the mountains or on the plains?
    If this was to me, I grew up on the Front Range near Denver, but I'm currently living in the mountains, which I absolutely love. I would never leave the mountains or the foothills if I could get away with it.

@WolfVanZandt: haha, very funny. Yes, we actually do have *some* topography. Not a lot, but some.
    @rckymntnspirit: I'm very jealous I love the mountains