Thread: Hematoma Pain?

Default Hematoma Pain?

Um, yeah, you guys are all going to say you are not doctors, which is true, but I'm going to ask is anyone has experienced something similar or has any idea what is going on here.

Ironically, I had a doctor's appointment today (before this incident) after being forced to by my mother for all sorts... and an ECG apparently??

Anyway, about 2 weeks ago I was picking one of our horse's feet out when he was startled and he kicked out. (Probably trying to move away from the noise but obviously I'm holding one of his legs off the ground, he's going to flail) I got kicked Pretty Damn Hard, swore, and cried a little bit, then I just carried on working like nothing happened for about 5 hours because I didn't want to feel useless or look like a wuss.

Yeah... the next day I had a huge ugly blue bruise and I could just limp about. So I did. For two weeks. Eventually the swelling went right down apart from one large hard painful lump (which the internet says is a hematoma). It hurt, but only if I pressed or brushed against it or tensed my leg.

All of a sudden when I was sitting down this evening this spasmodic, throbbing, tingling pulsating pain was in my leg and I panicked and did everything I could to make the sensation go away. I felt like I wanted to massage it, squeeze it, /hit it/ even, to distract myself from the odd sensation. It felt like a load of pressure was building up like it was going to blow. So I freaked and jumped up rolled around on the floor and tried to stretch it out and stuff.

Still my leg feels like someone tied a rubber band around it and is twitching in places.

Now obviously I don't feel like I'm going to die right this second or anything, but I was just wondering if anyone had any input. Geez, if I call the doctor 1 DAY after my appointment he's going to think I'm a hypochondriac, and I already nagged him for repeat/alternative prescriptions for the same damn chronic issues...

(On a positive note I'm doing okay with the lactose intolerance. There have been blips, but hours spent in the bathroom on occasion have helped me realise that one ice cream is just not worth the drama XD)

And another question, why is it that for some types of pain/sensation, we think more pain will help it? Like when you have a persistant cramp we sometimes feel poking or hitting or putting pressure on an obviously vulnerable area will make it better?!

My dad had a nasty painful lump on his lower back when he fell off the roof and onto the bed of his truck. It lasted for a good month or so and was pretty painful for him. I think he went in to make sure everything was OK; he works in the lab in the hospital so he normally doesn't wait to go in.

I'd say if the feelings persist you should go in, regardless of what you think your doctor will think. It's always better to be safe than sorry.

I once played chicken on a bike with a boy, and neither of us were chicken. We collided head on and I flew 10 feet, and impaled myself on the handle bar because it was now currently pointing vertical underneath me. It didn't puncture the skin (magically), but I had a very nasty bruise that engulfed my entire left torso. I'm surprised I didn't lose a kidney...not even eternal bleeding. Well that bruise lasted for a very long time, and have never experienced what you described.

I have though, on the other hand experienced similar sensations in other parts of my body. I've gotten them mostly in my legs, and have even woke me up at night. My parents say they are called Charley horses, or terrible pain in legs do to the lack of potassium or something and it drives me crazy because it feels like my legs have decided to rebel against me and feels as if they are in a vice grip, and my legs also like to twitch when I sleep. Which also wakes me up at night...
    I'll bleed out all these tears and take this pain
    Maybe the path is fighting in vain
    And I can't carry on, I just can't be the one, again...

The symptoms you're describing are concurrent with nerve impingement, which isn't a huge deal but IS a good signal to do something about it. Your urges to massage and squeeze the hematoma are sound, follow them. Judoka get rid of shin hematomas with rolling pins. I've done my share of breaking them up as a massage therapist. It feels incredibly gross and crunchy.
    Gwyn
    "Ai, razminku yorshikom provodim my,
    Nobody learns no nothing from no history."
    - Golgol Bordello

Eeeugh, oh dang, I think ive experienced something that before. The unfortunate thing is that the sudden pulsatating throbbing pain came to me in the middle of the night, and man it hurt. The sensation went away after a while.

The nocturnal cramps are something different entirely, but I do have them. I'l often find myself rolling around screaming in bed at 3 am for no apparent reason. My dad has the same problem and my mother and I also share a paralyzing 'electric-shock' type pain across the whole chest that makes you feel like you'd rather die than breathe. I guess I'm predisposed to such things because of my parents and I'll have to deal with it.

Thanks Entropy in Drag. Yeah, my first instinct was to try and squish whatever this lump was out of existence because the suddenness of the pain made me panic. You described the lumps as 'crunchy', does this mean if I keep going at it and massaging, it will eventually 'break up?'

Thanks for your input guys ^^; I had amore in depth post but my browser ate it...

Dragonic Wolf, I found that even though it initially hurts even more, rubbing the area Really Firmly and rapidly makes th pain go away. It doesn't feel like it's helping, and then suddenly it will let go of you as quickly as it came. Just don't stop half way through because it doesn't seem like it's working or it'll prolong it. I'm not sure if the rubbing will worsen any resulting bruising you get. I find whether or not you intervene, the leg will be sore tense and painful for days afterwards anyway.

Ummm...you wouldn't want to do that 'cause you might dislodge a clot into your circulatory system. That would be bad. Have you tried ice yet? You don't want to put ice directly on it, but more get a bag of ice, wrap it in a cloth or towel and place that on your bruise. Ice can be numbing, so not for too long, like about for 20 minutes an hour.
    Time you enjoy wasting isn't always wasted time. ~ phrase from Salt Lake City, Utah

Ice is great for the acute phase of the condition, but actually is counterproductive at this late point in the game. It may help with the pain, but so might Ibuprofen/Naproxen/your drug of choice. Heat will dilate the blood vessels surrounding the area, hopefully allowing a greater amount of happy little macrophages/etc into the region to do cleanup duty.

Otherwise, if you're willing to risk it you could do as Entropy says. She rolled out a nice big hematoma on my shin. It sped up the recovery quite a bit, though the process itself wasn't the most fun. :x

I found that using a can to gently roll them away helps, take your time, you don't want anything bad (clots) hitting your heard D:
    There is no I in the Goop Troop.

I have some sports heat pads in the house somewhere... I think I'll give that a go. It hurts alot to press it or anything, but I really fel like it has to go, because as I said it's making my whole leg feel tingly. I can't sit down unless my leg is hanging over the edge of the seat...