Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Vampire/Werewolf War is a funny joke

Blog Entries

As far as certain mythologies are concerned, I once read in at least one folklore/legend a werewolf and a vampire were often the same person except when a werewolf was killed they rose again as a vampire. However, folktales of werewolves and vampires together in any way rarely crop up, and I‘ve yet to hear an actual folktale in which a vampire had a werewolf as a pet.

However, any ‘real’ vampire vs. werewolf animosity as we know it today was an 1930s and 19402 creation. Once I had to make a video documentary and I chose the history of werewolves in film for fun, and that when I found it out. The idea was created when ’monster mash’ movies from Universal Studios were hip with the success of the original movies. The made more movies Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man, House of Frankenstein, House of Dracula, and Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein - they all showed run-ins of two or more of their movie monsters but Dracula vs. Lon Chaney stole the shows the most. After that, ever body copied suit. In truth, a good hunk of ’werewolf facts’ today stem form Universal Studios.

The ‘pet’ thing, as far as I can tell is placed solely in Underworlds hands alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Listener View Post
    The ‘pet’ thing, as far as I can tell is placed solely in Underworlds hands alone.
    I think Bram Stoker may be partly to blame for the "pet" idea. There aren't any werewolves in his book, nor does Dracula keep any for pets. However, there is a part where he refers to the wolves around his castle as the "children of the night," and he shows an obvious fondness for them. I believe it was a literary device to make Dracula seem less sympathetic and more sinister, since at the time that was written, wolves were still considered to be quite evil creatures.

But that idea was picked up on and expanded upon by others in later works.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonslorefury View Post
    ...If we were going by roleplay rules (such as White wolf) vampires have a fair chance against werewolves. But that's neither here nor there.
    World of Darkness rules :P
    The universe is hostile, so impersonal...
    Devour to survive.
    So it is, so it's always been.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    I think Bram Stoker may be partly to blame for the "pet" idea. There aren't any werewolves in his book, nor does Dracula keep any for pets. However, there is a part where he refers to the wolves around his castle as the "children of the night," and he shows an obvious fondness for them. I believe it was a literary device to make Dracula seem less sympathetic and more sinister, since at the time that was written, wolves were still considered to be quite evil creatures.

But that idea was picked up on and expanded upon by others in later works.
    I actually enjoyed his fondness for wolves... I can see this being a base for the whole pet werewolf idea in Underworld, though to be honest I wouldn't have thought the idea a stretch anyway. Man likes to have his dogs so I suppose superhuman undead man would like to have super canine...man.

Ugh. What?

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Eh, it could be worse. He could be telling you that vampires sparkle.
    Off topic, but this made me think of the jokes for the new Worgen (werewolf) race being put into World of Warcraft. "At least we don't sparkle." Made me giggle hard.
    hold me secure in flight [SIZE="4"]☆☆☆☽ ☓ ☾☆☆☆[/SIZE] sing me to sleep tonight

Quote Originally Posted by xSerpientex View Post
    Off Topic: I think I can see where the writer of twilight was going with the vampire sparkle thing. The vampires are often described like they are like living statues; strong, perfect, flawless etc. But also note that some stones sparkle in sunlight, so its probably where the idea came from. Its just a theory though. Although to me, it still seems a bit .. wrong?
    Haha! Yeah... well, I always find it amusing when people make fun of the sparkly vampires, but I honestly don't have a problem with that. My problems with the Twilight saga have to do with more important concerns - such as the fact that it portrays an unhealthy, abusive, controlling, stalkerish, pedophile relationship to be be "true love."

If there really was a war going on between Vampires and Werewolves, then I have to say the vampires and therians down here in New Zealand missed the memo.

The Auckland Kin Meet yesterday (October 31st) clearly portrayed that there is no negative feelings between us.

I say that your friend needs to come back down to earth and stop sniffing the glue.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonomaly View Post
    No, it's not true in some sense. Your friend probably doesn't think it's true either. If he does, I would recommend professional help.

If there were a war, however, werewolves would win hands down because we have nails and teeth and vampires just "absorb energy". And I would be sitting on the sidelines laughing at the incredible stupidity of both groups.
    I would just be laughing, not on the sidelines.
    Same Shit different day...

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    Haha! Yeah... well, I always find it amusing when people make fun of the sparkly vampires, but I honestly don't have a problem with that. My problems with the Twilight saga have to do with more important concerns - such as the fact that it portrays an unhealthy, abusive, controlling, stalkerish, pedophile relationship to be be "true love."
    Oh my, yes xD yes yes yes yes, 1000 times yes
    The universe is hostile, so impersonal...
    Devour to survive.
    So it is, so it's always been.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty Kitty Cat View Post
    If there really was a war going on between Vampires and Werewolves, then I have to say the vampires and therians down here in New Zealand missed the memo.
    The memo was sent out by the Uber Alpha Elder Real P-Shifting Werewolf Pack and the Ancient Mighty Powerful Vampire Council last Tuesday. It clearly states that whenever a vamp sees a were, they have to duel to the death with light sabers held in their teeth. The vamps think they have all the advantage because of their fangs, but all you have to do is p-shift and you'll have a much longer muzzle, and therefore the clear tactical superiority.

Spread the word! At least until they lock you up and make you take your meds, and you remember how to tell the difference between real life and the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    The memo was sent out by the Uber Alpha Elder Real P-Shifting Werewolf Pack and the Ancient Mighty Powerful Vampire Council last Tuesday. It clearly states that whenever a vamp sees a were, they have to duel to the death with light sabers held in their teeth. The vamps think they have all the advantage because of their fangs, but all you have to do is p-shift and you'll have a much longer muzzle, and therefore the clear tactical superiority.

Spread the word! At least until they lock you up and make you take your meds, and you remember how to tell the difference between real life and the movies.
    Do you at all mind if I post that quote elsewhere? I think I about died of laughter.