Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4149505152 LastLast

Thread: Weight loss/Becoming healthy support thread!

Blog Entries

I'm doing well with exercising in an attempt to gain some muscle mass. My weight is very finicky lately, I haven't stepped on a scale because I'm always afraid of seeing a lower number despite increasing my protein, starch and calorie intake. I do have some bad days where I don't reach my goals however, so I'm not going to blame any of this on something else yet. I have to try harder-- I'm a hard gainer and a quick loser. I'm going to start waking up much earlier if it means I can fit another possible meal in.
    Timber wolf therian-- changeling-- horse hearted
    ~Being kin is a journey of finding yourself, loosing yourself, searching and doing it all over again.~

Blog Entries

You might try liquid calories as well - it's really easy to fit in a lot of calories in liquid form. That's actually part of what people often miss when they're trying to LOSE weight! But you can use it to your advantage in gaining.

Smoothies are especially awesome for this purpose, because you can get a LOT of protein and healthy stuff in there. I like to use Greek yogurt, protein powder, greens, and even eggs or liquid egg white in mine. Frozen berries are also great.

Full-fat Greek yogurt and nut butters are amazing if you're trying to gain. Good fats and a hefty amount of protein, and they're very calorie-dense, so it's easy to boost your intake without having to really do much.

Do you ever use protein powder? The "standard" for gaining is to try to hit 1g of protein per pound of your body weight each day. Even though I'm small, I have a hard time getting close to that without using some whey powder.

If you're not really accurately tracking calories, that'll make a huge difference, too. People over- and under-report calories alllll the time (it's why people falsely think they're failing to lose weight at a caloric deficit, and vice-versa). Apps and stuff help, but if you're not serious about logging intake, the "ballpark" estimates can be really off. You might want to find a total daily energy expenditure (TDEE) calculator to help estimate what your actual intake should be. About 15% above maintenance is usually good for gaining muscle. Good luck!!

I'm slowly but surely building muscle still. Can do my support holds for 30 full seconds. I'm starting to see a real difference in my upper legs, which is really wild. I am still basically maintaining, though. I need to up my intake a bit, too, if I want to keep this up!

Blog Entries

I've been roughly the same height, weight, and overall shape since I was 15. It's kind of strange, but I suppose it's not the worst outcome.

Managing my calories intakes as well as my calories burnt with the help of a phone app, I lost 2kg of fat in 2 weeks. I realized my main issue at the moment is the amount of food that I eat. Seeing the numbers on the app was really an eye-opener. The app also follows the nutrients too, so I can see if I eat too much or not enough of a given nutrient, and it helps me balance my meals way easier than if I need to think it through.

I'm bad at thinking about food, having an app to think about it for me really helps me.
    The avatar comes from HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Zami View Post
    Managing my calories intakes as well as my calories burnt with the help of a phone app, I lost 2kg of fat in 2 weeks. I realized my main issue at the moment is the amount of food that I eat. Seeing the numbers on the app was really an eye-opener. The app also follows the nutrients too, so I can see if I eat too much or not enough of a given nutrient, and it helps me balance my meals way easier than if I need to think it through.

I'm bad at thinking about food, having an app to think about it for me really helps me.
    What's the app called?

"That's wolves for ya', good guys!" -Wolf, t10k
    wolf/werewolf | 37 | female | writer | scuba diver | funny | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | eclectic witch

It's "Samsung Health" it was pre-installed on my new phone.

Blog Entries

MyFitnessPal is also highly recommended. It has a built-in user-submitted library of food calorie counts. You do have to be careful since user-submitted can mean questionable accuracy. But the app also counts steps and if you want to go as far as counting macros, you can buy a subscription for that.

And yeah, Zami! I relate. Unfortunately, I have a disproportionately large appetite for my very small size. I really have to watch it. I think because I'd been on the lean end of normal weight range most of my life, I had a very blase "I can eat whatever, I'm small, I just burn it off!" attitude, which is... exactly the wrong attitude, haha. Needless to say, when my habits became more sedentary in grad school, I started gaining. Even still in a normal weight range, I started to feel like crap and my dysphoria got substantially worse.

Realizing how many calories someone of my size SHOULD be eating was a real eye-opener. I don't have as much wiggle room as a larger person, I have to monitor pretty closely. I might have to start counting strictly again, because I've been trying to gain a bit and have been at maintenance for over a year now.

Part of the reason I exercise regularly, besides all the mental and physical health benefits, is that it also increases my Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE), which means I have a little wiggle room to eat more. I really recommend anyone trying to be healthier with their food intake find a TDEE calculator to get an estimate of how much they should eat.

Counting calories is absolutely crucial to weight changes or maintenance. A caloric deficit is the only way to lose fat, but it always works - it's just finding the right strategies to achieve that that is difficult.
    Last edited by Kisota; February 21st, 2019 at 11:50 AM.

I think Samsung Health has a TDEE calculator built in? You personnalize your profile by saying if you're sedentary or moderately active or such, and I also see that in my total burnt calories, it does take into account my weight, age, "sex" (I take it as my hormonal system, so I ticked the "sex" that goes with the hormones flowing into my body), my daily activity of course, but also there is a line that goes with my average activity with additional burnt calories adding to the total. I guess it's the TDEE.

The app also scolds me if I eat too light, telling me to eat more - and scolds me for eating too much, telling me to exercise more. It takes into account a weight loss target, the speed of weight loss, and scolds me if I go too much outside my aim. I like that it scolds me if I do not eat enough. It's a nice way to avoid getting into a spiral of "I wanna loose weight fast so I'll stop eating" since it calculates how much I need to reduce to attain my objective, and scolds me if I do not respect my objective.

Because I do not want to put too much strain on my organism, I did not set the objective at too fast a loss, and I have a medic checking if I loose fat or muscle.

Blog Entries

Yep, the TDEE should be a measure of your resting metabolic rate + expenditure through movement/exercise. The former is a function of age, sex, body size and composition, and the latter is a function of activity level.

Eating too light can definitely be a problem for some people - not because it induces "starvation mode", but because it can make you feel lower energy and be more sedentary OR, probably even more commonly, lead to major overeating later on.

I tend to eat pretty light most days of the week, but that frees up some room for eating more indulgently a few times a week. That and intermittent fasting (I generally do 16:8 or a bit longer fast periods) really seem to work for me, with my disproportionate appetite, haha.

Does anyone here use a Fitbit or similar activity tracker? I'm tentatively considering something like that. The problem I have with most fitness measurements is that I'm unusually small and activity trackers and mathematical formulas alike skew pretty badly. I guess I should consider getting some better estimates of my body composition and actual activity levels (which vary drastically based on whether I'm actively on field work or not).

Blog Entries

I keep backpedaling concerning weight. If I do nothing but breathe I lose it. Being a hardgainer sucks--that being said, I am retaining muscle pretty well. I wonder if it's just fats that I can't seem to retain, while protein and extra calories go more towards muscle based on my metabolism.. I was reading an article that suggested that for natural ectomorphs/types like me. Perhaps I need to increase the amount of fats in my diet to try and retain those along with protein and carbs. Still trying to figure out what works best for me.

I read that the ectomorph body type will always try to burn excess calories you put in, as a means to adapt but I'm wondering how to beat that bodily system. Perhaps it comes down to muscle since I may not have 'gained weight' but I have gained muscle. The 500+ more than you would eat is not consistent for me. I've adapted--so add another 500? If that's the case, my body will adapt each time and there's no way I can eat over 3,000 without junk food (which I do not eat). There has to be a way to beat that high metabolism adaptation. I still think muscle, but as people also tend to say, it will slow down with age. I wonder..
    Timber wolf therian-- changeling-- horse hearted
    ~Being kin is a journey of finding yourself, loosing yourself, searching and doing it all over again.~