Page 42 of 52 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight loss/Becoming healthy support thread!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amarok View Post
    One of the things I will do when jogging and want to stop is to visualize myself as a wolf, running in the woods. This is easy as I generally run at night on a lighted trail in a park. If I am really struggling and want to stop, I mentally go into wolf mode, loping through the forest with ease and my breath calms down and my stride evens out ... I always am able to finish with that mentality.
    I've noticed that just being outside when I'm out on my daily walk is enough to make me want to get down on all fours and run like a wolf instead if walking upright like a person. There are times I have to fight the urge to run on fours when I'm outstide, because obviously running around like an animal would not be a good idea when I'm taking a walk around my neighborhood.

I've avoided eating junk food for so long that even munching on a few potato chips tends to turn my stomach. It's like my body isn't used to taking in all that grease. I think my body has become used to eating healthier foods, and I don't even want or like eating junk food anymore.

I prefer growing my own food. It's cheaper than buying it at the store, and I know it's organic without chemicals or pestcides. I love growing tomatos and peppers, herbs and fruit, which I use to make my own soups and salads.

For people wanting to eat healthier I would reccomend trying to grow your own food. Even having one or two tomato and pepper plants with an herb bush like oregano or thyme can be a good start and provide you with the basic ingredients for making healthy meals. Plus it's easy and a lot of fun too.
    We share our physical lives with those in spirit. For life, like love, never dies.
    Love knows no limits, not even death.

Last edited by Tsuga; September 4th, 2014 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cassander View Post
    Depends on what you're getting. A lot of things at Whole Foods these days are the same price or cheaper than the big chain stores, I've found.

But if you get fancy meats and cheeses, yeah, these will be expensive. Their store brand stuff tends to be quite good, though, and often reasonably priced.
    I may go by there then, it sounds like it's become more affordable. I know they take food stamps too. I get a few of those a month, so I might be able to get more things there.

The one thing I have found is healthy food is far more filling. So now that I sit here and think about it, this would probably be a more cost efficient way to shop. As well as healthier.
    ~Night has always pushed up day. You must know life to see decay, But I won't rot. I won't rot, Not this mind and not this heart...~ Mumford & Sons

Last edited by Tsuga; September 4th, 2014 at 12:29 AM.

It's really close to being nice enough out for me to start walking part of the way home from work! I've done so on a couple warmer days in the past few weeks and it makes me feel so much better. The weight I've gained in the past couple years is starting to settle itself in ways that I'm okay with, but I still feel antsy to get more movement into my life.

My partner and I are also thinking about taking some dance classes, which is great for both of us from an exercise standpoint. I'm really uncoordinated and have spent most of my life in a cycle of seeing myself as uncoordinated, and deciding that I shouldn't try dancing/sports/whatever because of that, and thus never learning anything about dance/sports/whatever, and thus staying awkward about it and uncoordinated, but I'm trying to remember that it can be fun even if I suck at it. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Cassander View Post
    Speaking for myself, though, the main reason for high bills at WF for me is the "oh, that looks good!" factor. Very easy to keep splurging and end up with a large bill at the end.

Now, they're probably not as cheap as Walmart, but they're definitely competitive with the regular chains near me - Giant and Safeway.
    I understand the "oh, that looks good!" factor. I do that myself on occasion.

We went to the co-op today and they were just a hair more than Wal-Mart, the stuff looks amazingly good too.

The roomie said we would run to Whole Foods. We are good on meat for the month, so it would mostly be side items, etc.
    ~Night has always pushed up day. You must know life to see decay, But I won't rot. I won't rot, Not this mind and not this heart...~ Mumford & Sons

It's hard to work out when working full-time, but I took Pixie for a walk yesterday. It was only about 20 minutes long, but it was 80 degrees and after a long day of work so I think I did all right.

I'm cutting back on running and switching to walks instead until I build up stamina because running was making my hip hurt. At least I'm doing something, though.

@Arawn Someone told me you burn more calories walking than running, but I have no basis for that. Hip pain is not fun though.

Any exercise after a long day at work is commendable I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Amarok View Post
    Sometimes our therianthropy comes in handy for exercise!
    It certainly does help! Especially when I get motivated to workout on my elliptical I'll visualize myself as a wolf and imagine myself trekking around my territory. When I need to pump my legs faster I'll imagine seeing some kind of prey animal and chase after it for a while, then slow down a bit. Now that Spring is here I'm feeling more enthusiastic about working out again since I slacked off all Winter.

Last edited by Tsuga; September 4th, 2014 at 12:28 AM.