View Poll Results: Werelist recipe-sharing club...?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'd love to join a recipe-sharing group!

22 32.84%
  • Maybe I'd join, I might have some recipes I could share...

28 41.79%
  • No, having this thread is fine for me.

17 25.37%
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Share Your Favorite Recipes

Blog Entries

Good looking cake, and belated happy birthday!

Mediterranean Quinoa Salad

Ingredients:
    2 cups vegetable broth (recipe says chicken, I substituted for obvious reasons)
    1 clove garlic
    1 cup uncooked quiona
    3 sausages (I use vegetarian ones)
    1 large red onion, diced
    1 large green bell pepper, dice
    1/2 cup chopped kalamata olives
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
    1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
    1/4 cup olive oil

Directions:
    1. Bring water, bouillon, and garlic to boil in saucepan. Stir in quiona, reduce heat to medium low, cover, and simmer until quinoa is tender and the water is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
    2. Gently stir in sausage, onion, bell pepper, olives, and salt. Stir in juice, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. Serve warm or refrigerate and serve cold.

I've also used vegetarian 'chicken' strips, which worked well, but you'll want to defrost them in advance.
    Last edited by cheetah; June 5th, 2020 at 12:07 AM. Reason: Got the recipe wrong.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

I've experimented with food quite a bit these past 12 months. Making good food generally isn't too hard, if you're using all fresh ingredients and there is no price limit. I started branching out into other things when I realized that a lot of good, traditional meals were just really fucking expensive. Fresh gumbo is delicious, but pretty expensive. There's also a dilemma I have where some dishes use more unique fresh ingredients and it's difficult to find a use for them before they go bad.

Lately, I've been experimenting with shelf stable foods which are usually quite cheap. Canned corned beef, spam, canned sardines, and other things like that. I've been having difficulty with the corned beef. It is very crumbly and if put in the pan whole it tends to end up with a texture and consistency somewhere between ground beef and what can only be described as a meat paste. I have discovered that it can be sliced and fried, as long as the slices are decently thick.

Problem with a lot of canned meat is that it's usually extremely high in sodium, fat, and cholesterol. One exception to this are sardines. Amazingly enough for a canned, shelf stable meat, they are GOOD for you and very low in sodium unless you're getting a flavored variant. I've been wanting to try making some kind of sardine based curry dish, but I have yet to get around to it. Sardines are usually good enough to eat with bread, toast, crackers, cottage cheese, hot sauce, or things like that.

I think the average American spends something like $6 or $7 for each meal. Something around $20 a day. I aim to try to for a meal to be even cheaper than that using as many shelf stable ingredients as I can. I've found some fresh ingredients like lettuce and onion I just can't do without, but enough recipes use them that I've never had them spoil on me before use. When you're imposing some kind of limitation to work within, I think cooking becomes a lot more fun and challenging.

I've yet to really delve fully into it, but I've found that a lot of recipes I've seen from island communities like Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, and the Philippines can usually get pretty creative with cheap, shelf stable food.

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    Ingredients:
    2 cups water
    2 cups vegetable buillon (recipe says chicken, I substituted for obvious reasons)
    There is some confusion for me here.

Usually, bouillon refers to cubes which are dissolved in water. Do you mean two cups of broth, or two cups of water into which one bouillon cube has been dissolved into?

After checking, I guess bouillon is the French word for broth, so I'm guessing it's the former! But in English, bouillon is usually used interchangeably with bouillon cubes.

Blog Entries

Sorry, I was copying from the recipe--yes, that should be broth, I'll change it.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Blog Entries

Lemonade tip: add a drop or two of lemon extract per glass. It elevates ordinary lemonade into something exponentially more lemony, tasty, and refreshing. Just don't overdo it. (I also use a sugar substitute.)

I'm going to try cheetah's recipe this weekend, preferably with vegetarian sausages.

I want to recommend these tasty meatballs. There's such a variety of vegetarian meatball recipes that call for quinoa as a main ingredient. Lots of room for culinary exploration.

Quinoa & Chickpea Meatballs

Ingredients:

1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
    1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
    1/4 cup minced onion
    1/2 cup minced carrot
    1/2 cup raw walnut halves
    1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    1/4 cup breadcrumbs
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
    1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
    1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/4 teaspoon dried basil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 large eggs
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 1/2 teaspoons vegetarian worcestershire sauce

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

2. Add the quinoa and broth to a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed. Turn off the heat and let the pan sit covered for 5 minutes, then fluff the quinoa with a fork. Transfer the quinoa to a large bowl, along with the onion and carrot.

3. Add the walnuts to the bowl of a food processor. Process until finely ground (but not so far that it turns into a paste). Add the ground walnuts to the bowl with the quinoa.

4. Next, add the chickpeas to the bowl of the food processor. Process until about half are pureed, but the rest still have some texture.

5. Add the chickpeas to the large bowl, along with the breadcrumbs, flour, salt, parsley, oregano, basil and garlic. Mix until well combined. Taste and season with additional salt, if needed.

6. Add the eggs, tomato paste and worcestershire to a small bowl and beat together with a fork. Pour the egg mixture into the large bowl and stir until well-combined.

7. Form the mixture into balls about 1 1/2-inches in diameter and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 25 to 30 minutes, until firm and lightly browned. Serve as desired.

If you like Red Bull as much as I do, instead of getting a large can, get a small can and mix it with diet 7-up. Feels like you had a whole giant can for less of the sugar and calories.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerguelen View Post
    If you like Red Bull as much as I do, instead of getting a large can, get a small can and mix it with diet 7-up. Feels like you had a whole giant can for less of the sugar and calories.
    I stopped drinking sugary beverages a while ago and traded them in for seltzer water, mostly. I keep some ginger ale around for cocktails, and red bull. Might try this. Vodka and Redbull are a great combo, but that sounds like a good, if not somewhat less alcoholic, combo too.

Ginger ale is good in it too.

I got a cook book full of recipes and I should and will put some of the recipes up on here. I think you will like them.

Blog Entries

Whew, good thing I was able to get more bread flour today. It's cool that more people are getting into making bread, but it's making it harder for me to stay stocked up on supplies! Yeast hasn't been available for a while. Thankfully, since I bake a lot, I still had some...

And my starter is still going strong, so I'm still making sourdough. The recipe I'm using right now has an autolyse step, and now I'm REALLY interested in trying that in a standard bread recipe. I really like messing around to test out different techniques in bread making.

Here's what I'm doing. Made these last week and they turned out great. I gave half a loaf to a friend in exchange for her handmade lemon-raspberry-strawberry jam. Holy moly, is it ever good on the fresh sourdough.

This time I'm going to tweak my baking method a little to try to get a better rise. I don't have bannetons nor a Dutch oven. My usual baking method (with a pan of boiling water underneath to improve oven spring) might help.

Blog Entries

Yeah, we've actually had yeast shortages here too. It's never really been the sort of thing I'd have thought you'd run out of, but here we are.

Gonna have to try the quinoa & chickpea recipe next week; think we've got most of the ingredients. Also, just so you know--I checked the Greek quinoa recipe again, and I got it wrong, it should be 2 cups of water in which two cubes have been dissolved (in otherwords, two cups of broth). Original post has been edited, but if you copied it down, you'll end up with more liquid than you need if you go by how I had it before.