Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Downshifting and Simple Living

The downshifting thing sounds like something I would do. I don't like spending money (even though some things are so damned irresistable... like yummy smelling dog treats and toys that I will probably waste my money on when I get any XD). I plan on saving as much money as I can and getting food usually by hunting and stuff like that. I like to make things, so that's good!

Blog Entries

As a student on scholarship (who hasn't worked during college), my ways of downshifting have little to do with my work hours. And honestly, although I haven't pushed myself to extremes, I haven't tried to cut back or pace myself at all on classes. When it comes to school, I'm intensely driven and actually find myself a little lost when I don't have work to do.

But since I'm kind of a vagrant and have to move back and forth a lot, I seriously try to reduce the amount of stuff I have. I actually only own a bit more than a week's worth of clothes. The only "decorations" in my dorm are a calendar and my yarn tail, which is actually just hung up to keep the fur from getting bent.

When you have to load up everything and move several times a year, you just can't afford to have too much stuff. And frankly, I don't like owning loads of things. So, that's my main way of simplifying my life as of now.

Blog Entries

This lifestyle is appealing to me, but somewhat scary.

I'm somewhat of a hermit, so it's always been my secret desire to live alone in the wilderness (or far-removed farm country), with my animals, a vegetable and herb garden, some chickens, maybe a couple small sheep...

The concerns I'd have for this particular life would be...
    -Internet. How would I get it so far removed from society?
    -What if something happened and my animals were injured? If I was far away, how would I get them to a veterinarian in time? Even if I did manage it, if I didn't have much money, how would I pay to save them?

Those are the kind of things I worry about, so until I have it sorted out, I can't go ahead with that life yet. But it is my ultimate plan
    "You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body." - C.S. Lewis

I am mostly with kara on this. I try to save up as much money as I can just incase I need to buy something that I may have a use for. Like I been thinking about upgrading my backpack and buying a pair of waterproof boots. As for my lifestyle. I got something that would put you all to shame interms of living out in the middle of no where. I would love to live in an abandoned ghost town, Just so that I can live and do what I want and not have to answer to anyone. There are alot of them out there in the U.S and I know where to find them.

If it weren't for the parkour gym and wonderful training I receive by being part of society, I'd be gone already. No job for me, no house, few belongings. An uncertain future and a world to see. I wouldn't get a whole lot of respect for living like that, but those are someone else's values. I'd rather follow my own, thank you.

Oh, I don't think I've mentioned this yet. I do have a house right now. Just a room rented in a place with three other people. They're nice, the house is nice, and it's cheap. But since I'm paying rent now, I'm going to have to figure out some very frugal living practices. I'm thinking of taking up the wonderful sport of dumpster diving. Again, my values vs. other people's values. I mean, raccoons dumpster dive, and just look at how awesome they are

I'm excited to see so many therians interested in the process of downshifting!

I am pleased to say that I am in the middle of making some serious down-shifts myself. Just graduated from college with a BA in psych. I applied to grad school in the fall (University of Oregon was my prime choice) but did not get in. I had a very specific path in mind; I had planned to plow through grad school (5yrs total) and become a clinical psychologist.

When things didn't go according to plan, I was thrown into a panicky haze, unable to comprehend the direction that my life would now be going. People kept telling me to buckle down and volunteer at this and that, intern, etc. to boost my resume. But the more I thought about it, the more I wanted nothing to do with the psych field anymore. All I could think about was drawing and camping, and how much I missed having an Otherkin community. A defining moment for me was seeing a quote from Thoreau while I was clearing my head in the White Mountains in March: "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined."

I made up my mind then and there that I wanted to move out west. One of the things that I had been seriously bummed about when I didn't get in was the fact that I would be denied my trip to Oregon. I have been looking into West Coast living for a while now, and the combination of organic options, wilderness, and earthy attitude is just what my mate and I have been looking for. My mate will be in Japan for her fall semester, and the winds tell me that now is the time.

I don't have to know exactly where I am going. I can, however, focus on what matters to me, and rid myself of what does not.

I started with my possessions. Being a dragon, I tend to collect things... so this was a major process. I'm very pleased with my results so far - I've donated or thrown away over half of what I used to own! I plan on reeeeally stripping things down further in about a month, but for now I'm just so happy to be cleaning out my den.

My goal is to have what I can fit in my car and a box or two at home for safekeeping. I'm not there yet, but getting ever closer!

I also have been cleaning out my emails, and plan on deleting all but two accounts by the end of the summer (one business, one personal). I'll be deleting my two Facebook accounts as well. The social media scene drives me crazy, and I am done with the hype. Good riddance. I've cut way back on my TV intake, and now primarily only watch dvds/netflix on my computer. I’ve been taking things much slower all around.

For a little over a year now I have been eating organically, and I can't stress enough how great it has made me feel. I also recently cut out most grain and have seen a lot of improvement in my overall health (allergies better, lost weight, more energetic). I hope to work some exercise in there soon, especially with the incredible Western forests on the horizon.

Overall, I feel confident in saying that I have been simplifying. Purging. Focusing. I am finally on the right path - my path - and I have never felt better.
    Last edited by Somnia; May 18th, 2013 at 10:40 PM. Reason: text too small
    Run with your brothers and sisters. Do you feel our hearts beat in time with yours?

@Mahigan - That sounds like a great plan! I also need to take some time and purge some things that are not very meaningful to me as well. I have a lot of clutter but I have a few things I want to hold on to for sentimental reasons.

On a side note, please use the default font style when you post. It makes it easier for members to read

*Edit*

Back on topic, so far I'm really enjoying my downshifted work schedule. I have more free time to spend with my mate and I'm able to do more things with friends during the day than I did when worked more nights a week.

How simple a lifestyle does everyone want to live without going all shaolin monk.? like would some of you rather live on a ranch or a farm instead of in the city.?

I live in the country and not in the city so I'm pretty happy where I am at. I enjoy the creature comforts of modern living such as electricity, AC/heating, hot water, internet, TV, etc. and living reasonably close to town (15-20 miles away). So it's modern Downshifter for me.
    Last edited by Somnia; November 7th, 2015 at 09:42 AM.

Somnia, did you say that the font was not default? What does it look like? It looks normal on my screen.
    Run with your brothers and sisters. Do you feel our hearts beat in time with yours?