Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite kind of meat?

Blog Entries

Default Your favorite kind of meat?

To eat, of course. Obviously does not apply if you don't eat the stuff.
    Because I'm bored and almost done with a paper, and really could and should be writing that last page, but ew, and I've been thinking about meat consumption for some reason lately. The average American eats very little fish, compared to beef or chicken. (I'm counting fish and seafood and bird as meat, some people don't but I don't get why.)

I don't have any dietary restrictions or moral restrictions on what I eat. I've been grappling with the moral question, but still haven't decided to remove anything from my okay-to-eat list yet. However, I definitely have a hierarchy. I only eat beef or veal if it's offered to me and there are no other options. I don't care for it much. Unless it's in a hot dog or something, where it's not easily discernible as beef. I'll eat hot dogs made with beef and I'll eat beef stroganoff, for example. Maybe a burger if everyone's going to McDonald's because their chicken isn't too good. But that's about it.

Fish though? As long as it's not canned fish, I could eat it every day. Canned fish I need to space out a bit more since it's not fresh. Fresh, plump, juicy fish is THE BEST. I can't get it as much as I want. Same goes for most other seafood items such as shrimp or squid.

For me, the rank is as follows, from most desirable to least:
    Fish/seafood
    Chicken
    Goat (unsure if I've had lamb or not?)
    Ham (which seems different from pork)
    Turkey
    Pork
    Beef

There are others, but I don't think of them much I guess.

Blog Entries

Take your list, and invert it(minus ham because it's just cured pork). Seafood is nasty, yo.

I'm notoriously picky, but becoming less so as I've gotten older. I still try new things in hope that my tastes change. Last week I tried Swai in some kind of nut cream sauce with crushed almonds on it. With a lot of fish, it seems to be the texture rather than the taste that I find disgusting.

I mostly enjoy fish when it's been battered and fried so it's crisp and crunchy, and then top it off with ghost pepper sauce or malted vinegar. I don't eat that often because it's unhealthy. Been thinking of trying some kind of recipe with salmon soon. It's been ages since I've tried it.

Oh, I'd add duck and venison to my list of good eatin's. Never tried rabbit, but I bet it's good!

Blog Entries

The only meat of those that I tried that I dislike was kangaroo. I don't really have favourites as such. I do prefer it raw though.
    A negative number was raised to a power that is not an integer.

Blog Entries

Fish, shrimp, and pepperoni are my favorites, definitely. Don't care much for turkey. Everything else I've tried is good, but not seafood or pepperoni good.

Are we supposed to break this down by meat category (poultry vs seafood) or specific types of said meat (chicken vs turkey for poultry)?

Chicken - so many ways to eat it!
    - This is also the meat I eat the most.
    Beef - hamburger & steak medium rare
    - I'm also including bison meat here, which is delicious!
    Seafood - shrimp, crab, lionfish, swordfish, salmon, haddock, calamari
    Pork - BACON, sausage, chops, carnitas, ham
    Turkey

It's been years since I've had venison, goose, pheasant or duck though. And I've only tried conch and lamb once. The lamb was amazing, the conch not so much. :P

And I'll try any type of meat, despite being a picky eater. However, there are three animals I would never eat for personal reasons: cat, wolf or bug (insects are just gross!).
    Last edited by elinox; December 9th, 2016 at 10:49 AM.

"That's wolves for ya', good guys!" -Wolf, t10k
    wolf/werewolf | 37 | female | writer | scuba diver | funny | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | eclectic witch

Blog Entries

I'll pretty much try and at least mildly enjoy just about any meat that I can think of, except pork. I think alligator and sea urchin are pretty weird though...

Top of the list is most definitely seafood. Salmon, unagi (eel), crab, mussels, lobster, squid, sushi of pretty much any variety, any other assorted fish or shell fish...yum. I love a fresh tuna steak or tuna sushi, but I try to mostly avoid and use as a special occasion food, just for mercury reasons. Love the hell out of seaweed too, though that isn't a meat. I'm the weirdo who packs cans of sardines as a lunch snack when going somewhere, and just eats them straight from the can while everyone else has their PB&J or whatever. Really just...anything that came out of the ocean, put it in front of me. I'll probably love it to death. I would be Captain Nemo, happily.

Second, though only as a special treat because it's expensive around here: lamb. Omg, lamb. Lamb kabobs and falafel from the local Mediterranean restaurant is the best thing. Lamb lamb lamb.

The other meats I eat with any regularity I feel pretty much the same about. Rabbit, duck, dark meat chicken and turkey. They all taste pretty similar to me and I enjoy them about the same. Rabbit is the most frequent food eaten after seafood, since I raise them myself. I love a good homemade Thai coconut soup with rabbit.

I also love a few different types of insects that I've had the opportunity to eat. Grasshoppers and crickets are my favorite that I eat regularly as a normal diet thing. Dubia roaches are fantastic too and mealworms are pretty decent, though mild. Fried tarantula is exquisite, though I've only had that once.

That's pretty much it for regularly eaten things that I love. I'm really not a major fan of most beef related dishes though...I had a great plov dish with steak a few times while in Russia and that was pretty good. In general though, cow is pretty meh to me. Not terrible, but not something I'd choose if there were seafood or rabbit or poultry options.

I HATE pork and ham and pork products. Spam, pepperoni, fresh cooked pork, a honey baked ham, sausage - doesn't matter, don't enjoy it. I'll nibble at bacon on very rare occasion, but that's pretty much it.

Also can't stand "lunch meat" cold cuts, like people put on sandwiches whether it's ham, roast beef, turkey...nope. I've never understood the appeal of cold cuts.

I've tried all kinds of other random things that I liked to varying degrees. Horse is pretty good. Alligator and turtle...eh. I've had a venison a few times and thought that was pretty good too.

Blog Entries

I'm not sure I've ever had a meat I didn't like, unless it was prepared poorly. I've had some cold oyster that tasted like congealed old ketchup, so I've been leery to try that again. But that was stuff I shoveled in my pie hole at one of those American-Chinese buffets. It may have actually BEEN congealed ketchup.

I especially enjoy turkey (dark meat <33), fatty steaks like ribeye (NO MORE than medium-rare, please), and game meat prepared well - unfortunately it's easy to fuck up because of the typically low fat content.

I've had squirrel, rabbit, alligator, dove, feral hog, and plenty of others I'm probably forgetting.

But there are very few foods I really don't like. And meat is a whole category of food I really enjoy, so it's rare for me to find anything I don't like. Nice steak? Heck yes. Bologna? Give it to me. Canned fish? I need that in my gob pronto. "Krab" meat? Don't mind if I do. Raw fish? Immediately, please. I like pretty much everything from fine cuts to mechanically-separated and re-congealed offal and scraps.

Usually the only way I won't like it is if you overcook it (well done = good as sawdust to me), or otherwise screw it up somehow.

Chicken and turkey. I love a good fried chicken fillet sandwich covered in ketchup, gnawing on chicken or turkey legs and devouring as much turkey meat as my stomach can hold on Thanksgiving.

I could live without meat except for seafood, BBQ ribs, and the occasional steak.

Blog Entries

My favorite is venison above all else. I would love to try rabbit someday or squirrel, I have this undying need for both critters but if it came between the three of them, I'd choose venison.