Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Howl/Were site planning (posts split from Werewhatever thread)

http://www.werelist.net/forums/group.php?groupid=43

Social group link until new site is made.
    ~~Our power can be replicated, but not our beginings~~

Blog Entries

What if, in our opinion, mental and physical spheres can overlap to some extent?
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    What if, in our opinion, mental and physical spheres can overlap to some extent?
    I think that's only natural.. there's both imo... and there needs to be a balance, rather than focusing too much on just the mental or just the physical or even just the spiritual side of things.

Blog Entries

Good job setting that up. One comment, though. This isn't a rule, it's a suggestion to save you a lot of headache.

A site that makes the public focus of their discussion the idea that being were/therian is a physical thing, but doesn't clarify further than that in their initial description, is likely to attract a type of discussion and a caliber of member that will cause issues for your site. I don't think you'll like the result, or that it will be what I know you are aiming for, unless you keep it clear right up front that you aren't soliciting for p-shifters.

Let me know if you need any assistance with the admin permissions or whatnot.

Will do and I plan to tweek the discription later (still today, just later), just wanted to quickly put it up and get it going on some level.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ashen View Post
    Will do and I plan to tweek the discription later (still today, just later), just wanted to quickly put it up and get it going on some level.
    Laying the groundwork is important if you want to build something solid. My recommendation for the first step of site building would be to put some quality content there and some discussion "seeds" that people who join can immediately grab onto.

You are welcome to grab anything of mine I've ever written, but what would probably be more helpful is to tap Coyote and WVZ for content - old articles, posts, etc. Get permission and put'em up there.

Second step is the publicity drive. Let's brainstorm ways to get the message out to the community and who can post about it where. BUT, and this is a pretty big but, you will be smart not to do any publicizing until you have content. Otherwise people click over there, see that it's empty and boring, and never bother going back. You don't want to launch even the initial beta to the wide-open public before it has enough content for them to actually participate rather than lay the expectation on them of creating all the content.

It's not enough to give people a simple sandbox in a vacant lot where they are allowed to build castles and expect to keep a high percentage of them. You need to build some nice example castles first, and half-build other castles so people can see the structure and add their own bits, and you have to have a nice array of buckets and shovels and toys and tools. The running water should be on, and some decent lighting, and comfy lounge chairs, and make sure to water the grass. Now you've got a well appointed sand castle building box that people will stick around to enjoy.

So, next step, content! Grab it and stick it up there, and start the seeds of discussions you know people wanted to have but felt they couldn't on the wider site.

Helpstaff, hands off in there - we're just going to liase with the group admins, and if anything they do there (which I doubt) generates real issues for the site itself, they can be trusted to deal with it. This is a policy that, if it works here, can become more generally applicable to the social groups area.

Ashen and Lenowill, you've been around long enough to know what's going to cause real life offline problems for the community, the server or the site, and we know you can deal with them.

We need to run a Werelist helpstaff training for our new docent at some point; this is just a basic therian site management seminar by folks who have been doing it for over a decade, covering the basics of "servant leadership" and the ideal of selfless community service. If any of you from the new site would find anything useful there, you can get an invite.

Just as a note - if you (Ashen) want written content concerning my own 'werehouse' I might be able to write it with my house mates permissions. I could give a basic run down of why we live together, maybe some quotes, and pros and cons. I've lived with quite a few people now (therian and non) so there's that. It might help people realize that it could be easier than they think. For instance, I live with people that I met primarily at school who also happen to be therians. My school isn't exactly very big (this years grad class about 400) and everyone is around my age (22). I also might be able to supply some graphics/artwork for the site. I used to work for some sim games making illustration graphics. Good luck and bother me if need be!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by herringbone View Post
    Just as a note - if you (Ashen) want written content concerning my own 'werehouse' I might be able to write it with my house mates permissions. I could give a basic run down of why we live together, maybe some quotes, and pros and cons. I've lived with quite a few people now (therian and non) so there's that. It might help people realize that it could be easier than they think. For instance, I live with people that I met primarily at school who also happen to be therians. My school isn't exactly very big (this years grad class about 400) and everyone is around my age (22). I also might be able to supply some graphics/artwork for the site. I used to work for some sim games making illustration graphics. Good luck and bother me if need be!
    Those are totally awesome offers.

All of us have the ability to give to our community and to help build something that can make a real difference for others like us, sometimes immediately and sometimes for years down the road.

You can leave a legacy that matters. You might even make the difference someday between someone doing harm to themselves because they feel that they are alone and crazy, and someone deciding to live and to grow in the knowledge that there are others like them who care and who will support them in coping.

If you have reached a place of success in your life where you are able to live freely with other therians, showing that this is an achievable goal and describing how you got there can really give a lot of hope to people who aren't there yet. Hope is a great gift, and having it can make a real difference in someone's life.

Human resources are the most valuable asset there is in site and community building, and they are worth recognizing and nurturing.

Good advice, Savage. I'm hoping that a lot of content will be about community building so, experience with that - werehouses, urban groups, state "associations", etc. - is probably information they're going to want.

Before checking with me for content, you might want to see what's on my website - it's all okay to use. Leno is familiar with it, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Those are totally awesome offers.

If you have reached a place of success in your life where you are able to live freely with other therians, showing that this is an achievable goal and describing how you got there can really give a lot of hope to people who aren't there yet. Hope is a great gift, and having it can make a real difference in someone's life.
    Well, that was inspiring. I made this post here to at least get that information out. I don't know what else to add at the moment, but, hopefully if I can answer anyone's questions it will do some good. It's hard to talk specifics until you are asked.