Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Exotic martial arts

Thats ok. With out confusion, everything would get boring. I think :P
    like fireworks, i saw the lights
    filling up my shadow
    when night falls, the stars shine bright
    like a road to carry me home

Quote Originally Posted by Amourosa Wolfsight View Post
    I don't think you learn Tai Chi as a martial art, but more as a relaxation method.
    It's rare but it is possible. There are two, maybe three, closely guarded forms of Tai-Chi centred around its use as a martial art; one is Chang style, a 2nd generation from the original Tai-Chi developed by a man of that name (it was taught to the then emperor's daughter as a means for protection during the ... Yin dynasty I think). These forms generally require you to go to China to learn them from those that know it since they tend to stick to the notion of 'the student finding the master'.
    This video is a demonstration of simplified Tai-Chi being applied in a martial sense; despite it being the simplified one developed in the 1980s, it still has some martial use.
    ~ The Thread Won't Cut ~
    "An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." - Martin Buber

Anyone ever study ninjutsu before.

Quote Originally Posted by hotdogwolf View Post
    Anyone ever study ninjutsu before.
    This angel. Had to move, nowhere around here I could start studying again, unfortunately.
    The universe is hostile, so impersonal...
    Devour to survive.
    So it is, so it's always been.

That's a bummer vik, I been trying to fine some places in my state were they train in ninjutsu.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth-ac View Post
    It's rare but it is possible. There are two, maybe three, closely guarded forms of Tai-Chi centred around its use as a martial art; one is Chang style, a 2nd generation from the original Tai-Chi developed by a man of that name (it was taught to the then emperor's daughter as a means for protection during the ... Yin dynasty I think). These forms generally require you to go to China to learn them from those that know it since they tend to stick to the notion of 'the student finding the master'.
    This video is a demonstration of simplified Tai-Chi being applied in a martial sense; despite it being the simplified one developed in the 1980s, it still has some martial use.
    Ooo, thank you! I'll have to view it when I get home from class. I just want the pacifist martial arts and I think that's it, but I am not sure.
    Last edited by Alliana; December 11th, 2012 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hotdogwolf View Post
    That's a bummer vik, I been trying to fine some places in my state were they train in ninjutsu.
    It's not for the meek, that's for sure.

My first night, my instructor informed me that if I did anything else during training, I should dodge, because he would hit me if I did not. Sure enough, not paying attention, and his first blow to my face knocks me clean off my feet. He believed that there was no point to martial arts instruction if one pulled punches; People in the real world would not, so he would not either. The first few months my body was basically a giant mat of bruises and cuts. But you toughen up fast or quit.

I miss it a lot, actually. I've been practicing various martial arts since I was old enough to make a fist, but ninjutsu was my one great love. Nothing like putting a man face down with enough broken bones to make a surgeon wince before he even realizes that he's off his feet.
    The universe is hostile, so impersonal...
    Devour to survive.
    So it is, so it's always been.

Wow vik, I better toughen up then before I try and find a place that train's in ninjutsu. How many years have you been training.? Is there anything else I should know before I get started.?

Quote Originally Posted by Vikaryous View Post
    He believed that there was no point to martial arts instruction if one pulled punches; People in the real world would not, so he would not either.

People in the real world aren't instructing complete novices, though. If that's his style and people pay him to beat the crap out of them, then that's their thing. It just seems like there's some logic missing when you say, "I'm going to teach you how to defend yourself by beating you up, so you better learn how to dodge."

My school didn't have sparring, which I found to be a weakness. We also emphasized violence as a last resort, which seems to be a major difference between our teachers.

My point, hotdogwolf, is that you can have two different sensei in the same art who teach it very differently. When I describe my martial arts background, it's different from what people expected just from knowing the name. That's because of the core philosophy of non-violence of my sensei. Another person teaching the same art could have the more violence-emphasis of Vikaryous' teacher. It doesn't make one better than the other, it just means that some people might be better suited to one teacher or another.
    Nothing I post on this forum is meant to be rude, disrespectful, or insulting. You do not have to respond to me. Answering my questions is completely optional.

Never take life seriously. No one gets out alive, anyway. ~ Unknown

I understand what you are saying to me Amourosa. Thank you. Can you tell me alittle bit about what you when though or what you learned in your martial arts Amourosa.?