Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Exotic martial arts

I learned about discipline, camaraderie, and how to throw a guy twice my size and weight to the ground with one hand then restrain him with ease.

I prefer not to discuss the specific school/style to avoid personal details.
    Nothing I post on this forum is meant to be rude, disrespectful, or insulting. You do not have to respond to me. Answering my questions is completely optional.

Never take life seriously. No one gets out alive, anyway. ~ Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Amourosa Wolfsight View Post
    I learned about discipline, camaraderie, and how to throw a guy twice my size and weight to the ground with one hand then restrain him with ease.

I prefer not to discuss the specific school/style to avoid personal details.
    hmmm ok Amourosa.

I used to take tae-kwon-do, but quit because I didnt have enough time. Its good discipline and very relaxing, not to mention healthy. And you're training in self-defense.
    "I was born with music inside me. Music was one of my parts. Like my ribs, my kidneys, my liver, my heart. Like my blood. It was a force already within me when I arrived on the scene. It was a necessity for me-like food or water."
    -Ray Charles

Thats cool squirrel, I am looking to train in ninjutsu for self-defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The_Squirrel_Girl View Post
    I used to take tae-kwon-do, but quit because I didnt have enough time. Its good discipline and very relaxing, not to mention healthy. And you're training in self-defense.
    Heh, reminds me of my cousin who was a black belt in it. He tried to use some of the moves on me but I would just dip him over my lap and wait until he chilled out before letting him back up again.

He was not very fast with his movements so I could avoid them at my leisure.

That's funny Alliana. Do you have any martial art skills.

Quote Originally Posted by hotdogwolf View Post
    Wow vik, I better toughen up then before I try and find a place that train's in ninjutsu. How many years have you been training.? Is there anything else I should know before I get started.?
    Amorousa summed up my next post before I could get a chance. My instructor will not necessarily have the same style or teachings as anyone you could find. For example, his instructor would sometimes host a class when my instructor could not, and he was not nearly as...harsh. Same discipline, but I learned wildly different things from both men.

Martial arts in general, since I was about 7. Ninjutsu I trained for a year, before I dropped out of the college I was attending at the time. I moved back home, and it was too far of a drive to make it to the city where I had been practicing ninjutsu. There is a school somewhat nearby, but it's a different variation of ninjutsu that I'm not particularly fond of. Less pre-emptive, more defensive. Not my thing.

Generally speaking it's a healthy(er) way of working out the needs of my kintype. I find sitting still to be difficult, but I have 2-4 months in the winter where I don't work and I'm currently not in school. Add that in with a love of brawling and an aggressive (if well-controlled) personality and I get a little stir crazy. Martial arts give me an outlet that's satisfying and not (generally) harmful to others.
    The universe is hostile, so impersonal...
    Devour to survive.
    So it is, so it's always been.

I see vik. Thank you. I got a question for you vik or amorousa. How much does training in any martial art's cost.? One more thing vik that quote you have on the bottom of your post. I seen that before. That is a sith lord quote. I'am I right.

Quote Originally Posted by hotdogwolf View Post
    I see vik. Thank you. I got a question for you vil or amorousa. How much does training in any martial art's cost.?
    Ninjutsu was my last "official" training and it was free through the university. So I was lucky there. In general I would think you can expect a modest monthly fee. That's also going to differ on where you live, though. Probably cheaper for me in Smalltown, USA than say, a big city.

Edit: Also, didn't answer your last question, in what you should do to prepare. In general I would say that being in halfway decent shape helps. Moreso things like endurance and flexibility than outright strength. My sessions were four hours long, five days a week, so being able to keep up was usually the biggest issue. Willingness to learn, look for your faults and acceptance of constructive criticism are probably the biggest requirements, though. Getting complacent with your level of skill only hurts you in the long run.
    The universe is hostile, so impersonal...
    Devour to survive.
    So it is, so it's always been.

Ok thank you vik. I would be able to quite any time I want if I didn't like the class for some reason.?