Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Book of therian 'stories'?

Default Book of therian 'stories'?

I know that right now everyone is being very suspicious of some TV channel wanting to make a documentary on therianthropy while inlcuding the 'lifestyle' of therians (casting call), and how, understandably, we don't want anyone to accept, in case we are portrayed in a bad light.

People on the site have already suggested making their own documentaries, but what about a book of stories/articles? I've read many things on the Werelist, and other therian sites, that I really enjoyed reading. Before I discovered I was a therian, I read things that helped me understand therianthropy, and led me to realise what I am. Now, I read things that I can relate to, which helps me feel that I am not alone (even though I know there are many therians). Then I read things that I may not understand, or relate to, but find interesting and enjoyable all the same.

What if everyone on the Werelist wrote something, or use something they had written before, and then a book was made of them? Since it would be full of 'stories' rather than 'long-boring-articles-that-make-you-fall-asleep', non-therians should find them more inviting, and since everything was written by the therians themselves, we wouldn't be portrayed badly.

I really want people's thoughts on this.

PS If this is in the wrong place, please tell me so I can move it somehow.

I think its a great idea, but, if its a book in the typical sense someone would be making money off of it, and who would that be? Also, who would publish such a piece?
    “When a dove begins to associate with crows its feathers remain white but its heart grows black” ~German proverb

"Suddenly, everything seemed as fragile as a moth's wing, as fleeting as a drop of dew" (482) Yellowfang's Secret

I think that would be a great idea unknownTherian but the problem would be trying to find someone to publish it. Not many people have heard of us, So it mit be hard at first. so keep trying and good luck.

I agree with Lemur, there are logistics that would have to be worked out. I might suggest that the proceeds go to funding therian-community sites like Werelist, especially if it's Werelist members who are the authors of the stories. But anyway...

I think it's a great idea in theory. And it would be fun I think. But what kind of stories would we be looking for? And how many?
    “If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever.”

Well, I agree with Solomon.K. about using the proceeds for sites like this one. It would be difficult to find someone to publish it, though.

I'm not sure how to describe the type of stories, does anyone want me to put up some examples?
    And to be fair, everyone would have one of their writings put into the book, but there are so many members on the Werelist... maybe if the best writers were chosen somehow? Maybe using a poll including active writers on the Werelist?

We could solicit writings for such a book, and publish it as an e-book under a 'free if you can't afford it, please donate on a sliding scale if you can afford it' model.

Where would we put the money? I dunno. Basic site maintenance costs and occasional software updates for this site, perhaps, with the caveat that if more was collected than we actually need for bare expenses, we would fund other worthy causes. Scholarships to bring needy folks to Howls, perhaps, or helping to fund bandwidth and hosting for other informational/community therian sites.

Because it would be free to anyone who did not have extra money to pay for it, I don't expect there would be a ton of profit. But that wouldn't be the point of the thing anyhow.

I do have the ability to edit and typeset, but I would prefer to be the person of last resort here. I can help, but don't particularly want to be the only one doing the work of collecting articles and proofing/editing/typesetting them. Any other volunteers on board with experience preparing manuscripts for publication?

This idea came up awhile back on another site, so I'll have to point the person in the direction of this thread. I think it's a really brilliant idea, I'd love to own a book like that. I think if you wanted it to be a physical book, there's always the possibility of self publishing and having the cost of the book equal to the price it costs to publish, although the e-book model is much simpler.

A collection of writings could also go in a similar way to The Forest Voice, although that is more poetic based.

I wouldn't say pick the best writers, because I think there are a lot of therian writers out there who aren't widely known who can write some brilliant stuff, but perhaps have it open for submissions instead? And some kind of voting system on submissions, as well as several editors to work with the writers to correct grammatical/structural/spelling/whatever errors?

I think a collection of stories written by the community would make a very interesting read.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    We could solicit writings for such a book, and publish it as an e-book under a 'free if you can't afford it, please donate on a sliding scale if you can afford it' model.

Where would we put the money? I dunno. Basic site maintenance costs and occasional software updates for this site, perhaps, with the caveat that if more was collected than we actually need for bare expenses, we would fund other worthy causes. Scholarships to bring needy folks to Howls, perhaps, or helping to fund bandwidth and hosting for other informational/community therian sites.

Because it would be free to anyone who did not have extra money to pay for it, I don't expect there would be a ton of profit. But that wouldn't be the point of the thing anyhow.
    That sounds like a great idea Savage. I think having any money made go back into the community is definitely the best step way to go.
    Making it free with optional donation is also a nice idea. That way it would not only be open to those with less income, but also to the school aged therians/non-therians who aren't comfortable asking their parents for money to buy it.
    The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness
    - John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I do have the ability to edit and typeset, but I would prefer to be the person of last resort here. I can help, but don't particularly want to be the only one doing the work of collecting articles and proofing/editing/typesetting them. Any other volunteers on board with experience preparing manuscripts for publication?
    I would be willing for such a task. Although I am no keen writer, and do not posses great editing skills, the thought of contributing to the publication of a book gladdens me. I will help with proof reading and sorting, if I may.

I will add a vote of support for this project, and also say this: I know of some printers where I live. They are small, and a non-profit group, but perhaps I could seek their guidance in this matter. They publish books and pamphlets regarding radical progressive politics, and as such I am fairly confidant in there willingness to, at the very least, offer words of advice. Rebel Press is their name.

Online printing services also exist. Book binding could be simple, like ring-bound cookbooks.

Perhaps a poll on the writing subforum could be cast? To find willing authors? Still, I would prefer the project to remain more open to submitted works.

Lastly, I strongly agree on keeping the publication open and free (as in freedom). It should be released under a Creative Commons license, so that others may create divergent works and be free to print at will.

That is all. I am glad that this is going forth, none the less. It will be pleasant having something to show others that we are not by and large, ahh, a bunch of "deranged lunatics".

EDIT: I almost forgot to add, if you are concerned about the cost then why not crowd-fund the project? The funding could be used to provide copies of the book to those who can't afford it, or used to enlist the services of professional designers. Just a thought.

I agree, it should be free, and the ebook idea is brilliant. In fact, I wasn't even thinking of making money off it at all, but if money was made it would be good to use any donations or profit to fund therian websites and the like (as stated previously). Velvet Wings has a good point too.

I wouldn't say pick the best writers, because I think there are a lot of therian writers out there who aren't widely known who can write some brilliant stuff, but perhaps have it open for submissions instead? And some kind of voting system on submissions
    I agree, good idea. I think we (anyone involved) could also suggest things we have read before, and liked. This could help bring the less-known authors to light.

as well as several editors to work with the writers to correct grammatical/structural/spelling/whatever errors?
    I wouldn't mind being an editor, I kind of like correcting errors. I do want to play some part in 'making' the book.

I almost forgot to add, if you are concerned about the cost then why not crowd-fund the project? The funding could be used to provide copies of the book to those who can't afford it, or used to enlist the services of professional designers. Just a thought.
    A great idea if people want a physical book rather than an ebook.

PS Thank you for all the positive feedback!

EDIT: Actually I think I'd be better just proofreading anything rather than editing. Apparently I'm not 'ruthless' enough to edit well.
    Last edited by UnknownTherian; March 24th, 2013 at 03:11 AM.