Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Book of therian 'stories'?

Quote Originally Posted by elinox View Post
    One must also be careful of posting anything online though too.

What specifically did you hear about lulu? I'm curious because I plan to eventually use them to publish my own novel someday.
    That's true, haha.

I dug up the research from back then and it actually wasn't as bad as I thought for lulu, apparently they're just overpriced in some ways. I feel kinda dumb now, but I think it caused confusion in my mind because that part of an article was amidst several articles about fraudulent publishers/ agencies/ etc.
    Sorry about the semi-false alarm..
    “When a dove begins to associate with crows its feathers remain white but its heart grows black” ~German proverb

"Suddenly, everything seemed as fragile as a moth's wing, as fleeting as a drop of dew" (482) Yellowfang's Secret

Quote Originally Posted by lemurflight View Post
    I dug up the research from back then and it actually wasn't as bad as I thought for lulu, apparently they're just overpriced in some ways. I feel kinda dumb now, but I think it caused confusion in my mind because that part of an article was amidst several articles about fraudulent publishers/ agencies/ etc.
    Sorry about the semi-false alarm..
    No worries, I'm glad you mentioned it because it had the potential to rip me off. So I appreciate the info, even if it turned out lulu is relatively safe.

As far as pricing goes, I can easily see them as being a bit on the expensive side, mostly because they're widely known for self-publishing, but for only one printed copy for myself (and anyone else who'd even bother purchasing my book once finished) it didn't seem that high.

"That's wolves for ya', good guys!" -Wolf, t10k
    wolf/werewolf | 37 | female | writer | scuba diver | funny | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | eclectic witch

No worries, I'm glad you mentioned it because it had the potential to rip me off. So I appreciate the info, even if it turned out lulu is relatively safe.
    I'm boggled as to what we would even need Lulu for in the first place. We already have our own skills in-house to do editing, proofreading, typesetting and online sales/marketing. Additionally, my think is that this thing gets released on a sliding scale donation that starts at zero dollars or a dollar or something like that for folks who legitimately can't afford it but would benefit from the information. I don't think it's feasible to do that with a commercial service like Lulu.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    I'm boggled as to what we would even need Lulu for in the first place. We already have our own skills in-house to do editing, proofreading, typesetting and online sales/marketing. Additionally, my think is that this thing gets released on a sliding scale donation that starts at zero dollars or a dollar or something like that for folks who legitimately can't afford it but would benefit from the information. I don't think it's feasible to do that with a commercial service like Lulu.
    Lulu would have allowed for a physical printed book version. The way it sounds now, this will be available online for people to print out themselves if they want. Personally, I'd rather have a hard copy book to put on my shelves rather than a magazine or PDF printed copy, but that's just me. Honestly, with the later, I could just go around and get permission from individual authors and then compile them myself instead of going through a committee.

"That's wolves for ya', good guys!" -Wolf, t10k
    wolf/werewolf | 37 | female | writer | scuba diver | funny | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | eclectic witch

Lulu would have allowed for a physical printed book version. The way it sounds now, this will be available online for people to print out themselves if they want. Personally, I'd rather have a hard copy book to put on my shelves rather than a magazine or PDF printed copy, but that's just me. Honestly, with the later, I could just go around and get permission from individual authors and then compile them myself instead of going through a committee.
    In that case, it may be worth researching 'print on demand' companies including Lulu for physical printed books. We can produce camera ready copy as needed to keep costs down.

Also, I would suggest that the criteria for inclusion in a printed book needs to be a hell of a lot tighter due to costs. Additional material could be included in the e-book, but a print book needs to be within a certain page count, or it will be prohibitively expensive.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Also, I would suggest that the criteria for inclusion in a printed book needs to be a hell of a lot tighter due to costs. Additional material could be included in the e-book, but a print book needs to be within a certain page count, or it will be prohibitively expensive.
    Indeed. A given essay is usually around two or three pages, single-sided and eight by eleven. Depending on book size, that would translate into anywhere from a single leaf to two leaves. Personally, I think having each leaf by 5.5 x 8.5 is a good size; what do other people think?

Poems and illustrations would take up less room, of course. But I think the main essay will and should be on personal reflective essays. I agree that the criteria should be hard to fulfill, but how hard? If we have a two hundred page book (not that large, really, I would think), if we have an essay covering two leaves (an overestimate if anything, I think), then that's a hundred essays.

Compared to the amount of good-quality essays there are... that is a lot, I think. Expanding it to fiction, poetry, and illustrations, and we still have a fairly substantial number of essays.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier