Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Book of therian 'stories' - details

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownTherian View Post
    How many of you on the Werelist actually want to do this book?
    I'd be happy to submit some writings for the book, however I don't feel I have the experience or the time to help with editing/publication etc...
    The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness
    - John Muir

Blog Entries

Akhila is male.

1) Under the Skin sounds good.
    2) Sure, but I don't know what it would be.
    3) Yes and yes, I think. Images, as they say, can be worth a thousand words, at least when they're done right. Given that we have many artists in the community, illustrations shouldn't be impossible to come by.
    4) Organized by theme, actually, is what I would suggest, with thematically appropriate title for the sections. Like 'feral', 'community', 'wanderings', etc. Under each would be a short blurb. Like for feral it might be 'Being animal', for community it might be 'Because we are never alone', for wanderings it might be 'Alienation is inevitable'... that sort of stuff. I don't suggest that the blurbs there be used necessarily, given that I just made them up out of thin air.
    5) There should be a foreword, I think. I would be willing to write it. Examples of my work can be found on my site and deviantArt.
    6) Don't know. I'd say that the maximum should be around 400 or so pages, though (and we could make that).
    7) See below.

My mother is an editor. I suppose I could volunteer to help with editing and rope my mother into assisting me with that part, though I'll have to discuss the concept with her.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

I'm not going to lie, I would really like to have a fairly big role in this. I can put the pieces together in a good order, keep in touch with everyone involved, etc. I'd really like to be in that sort of a role. I understand that because I don't have much experience means you all might be a bit skeptical of my abilities, but I really want to be a big help with this project. I know for fact I have the determination to see it though.
    “When a dove begins to associate with crows its feathers remain white but its heart grows black” ~German proverb

"Suddenly, everything seemed as fragile as a moth's wing, as fleeting as a drop of dew" (482) Yellowfang's Secret

Blog Entries

We are interested in the project idea.

Most books need some sort of cover illustration and back cover description. If we wish to have it published possibility that will likely be needed if not perhaps required. What the back describes with depend on what the contents of the book end up being and as for a front cover image my own strong opinion is that is very open and diverse if somehow images of animals get incorporated into it in some way and not just all predatory mammals.

We might be willing to help with some editing or offering writings though due to real life time restraints and our own trouble with grammar sometimes we couldn’t do a lot.

We have written a number of essays, stories (both slice of life and narratives of real-life experiences), and so on. However some of our best work so far has been non-therian otherkin related and so would fall outside the lines of this book.

- Pantairin

Finding people with the relevant skils might be the problem. Cheetah, your mother being an editor could be a massive help if there's nobody within the community with any kind of experience, but that's entirely up to whether you and her feel about working on it.

I would like to chime in as a writer if I could. I can edit if need be but I'd rather not as I'm not confident that I'm much good at it. I have limited real-life stories, because my shifts are seldom and far between, but I do have some. My forte is as a fiction writer, and I think I could offer some poems or perhaps a short story.

I think the Skype group would be a fantastic idea, and yes, I agree with Savage that text is probably the best way to go; no video or mic. This would be for the sake of simplicity as well as anonymity. Plus some of us, such as yours truly, don't have a web cam or a mic. I think the Skype would be a great way to talk among the people who are going to help with the project, and help as a way to share ideas and organize in real-time.

Edit: I'm into art aswell, so I can do illustrations if need be. However, I am colourblind so most of the work I do is in black and white. For that reason I'd rather not do the cover, but I can do other stuff if you need it. I should have some albums on my profile page if you want to see a bit of my work
    Last edited by Natsilani; March 25th, 2013 at 07:11 PM.
    “If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever.”

I think a wide variety of theriotypes would be very important, and I'd be willing to contribute a story or stories, particularly for deer and horse.

I'd also be happy to help out with illustrations/cover art - I'm working on stretching my rusty drawing muscles lately and perhaps by the time this became a reality, my skills would be strong enough to do those things justice.

My roommate/best friend is a publishing major and skilled copy-editor, and while I doubt she would contribute without pay, I might be able to seek some advice from her if there are specific questions that arise.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm interested in helping. I was an English major and I actually write by profession, plus I enjoy editing/proofreading so I can help with that too.

1) What should the title be?
    "Under the Skin" is fine.

4) What will the format be like?
    A table of contents is a must, and I think organizing it via theme within each chapter would be good too. A section on things like phantom limbs, mental shifting, dysmphoria, etc. could be larger categories.

5) Should there be a foreword? Who should write it?
    Maybe not a forward, but definitely a basic introduction including a loose definition of common terms found throughout. I would find a glossary very useful, although the problem with that is that not everyone agrees on the definition of certain terms.

6) How long should the book be? How many writings will be in the book?
    As long as is practical? 1,000 isn't, but 200 is doable I think. This will depend entirely on how many things are submitted to be included. Speaking of submissions, are there going to be certain criteria people must meet to be included or would we simply add everyone's work? If the former, who gets to determine what is good enough to go into the book or not? And if the later, it will seem less...professional and more 'fun project'. I was hoping for more of a professional end result.

7) And of course, who will organize all of this?
    I would tend to agree with Savage that while a voting committee is a nice idea, it takes forever to actually DO anything that way. I think a small group of dedicated, intelligent people who know what they're doing should be in charge, taking input and then turning out the best thing for the community.

While I certainly don't want to be in charge (I simply don't have the real life time for that), I am interested in being involved, perhaps even heavily so.

Quote Originally Posted by House of Chimeras View Post
    Most books need some sort of cover illustration and back cover description. If we wish to have it published possibility that will likely be needed if not perhaps required. What the back describes with depend on what the contents of the book end up being...
    The back description of the book will be easy once the entire thing has come together and is organized.

As for cover art, I can help with that as well if need be. While my artistic style isn't so much drawing-related, it is stylistic and I specialize in tribal art and digital designs like this.

"That's wolves for ya', good guys!" -Wolf, t10k
    wolf/werewolf | 37 | female | writer | scuba diver | funny | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | eclectic witch

Blog Entries

I want there to be, if not criteria for a person to meet, at least a very selective process in choosing the works.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

I would love to help. I have writing and editing experience. Informal, though - not professional. I have samples that I can privately show you.