Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Book of therian 'stories' - details

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    I want there to be, if not criteria for a person to meet, at least a very selective process in choosing the works.
    I agree. And rigorous copy-editing is a must. Nothing shows poor publishing craft like a lack of copy-editing.

Okay. First thing we'd need is a file/text sharing area with the ability to include attachments. We can use Google Docs/Google Drive, or I can set up a forum here. Anyone can submit art, articles, poetry, essays, etc, but the selection and editing process is going to be crucial.

A reasonable working title might be Under The Skin: Therian Community Voices.

We do not need Lulu. No point in it. We can typeset it ourselves in ebook format, and set up a cart function to 'sell' it on a sliding scale (which should probably include 'free').

My fox roommate said if it is in ebook format, she might volunteer to do the coding - it's one of her favorite processes.

Sorry for not replying yesterday..

Perhaps a Skype group or email group of some kind for people willing to commit a lot of time and effort into it, as well as the relevant skills?
    Smart, but as Savage said, it would be text only. Savage's other idea about the committee sounds like our best option.

So far the committee would be...? And who's organising the committee? Do you just put yourself in?

Everything else sounds good too. Sorry I can't write about anything else but I don't have time. I'll write more tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownTherian View Post
    So far the committee would be...? And who's organising the committee? Do you just put yourself in?
    If anyone could just put themselves into the committee, we'd end up with a really large committee... thus defeating the purpose of having a committee in the first place, haha.

Elinox, yourdeer, and Savage (if xe's willing) definitely have my vote for committee members. All three have relevant schooling/experience and I trust them to make wise and professional choices. I would also support Cheetah; he has valuable resources to lend editing-wise and I trust him to act objectively and maturely.

As much as I'd love to play a bigger role in this myself, I don't have any experience and my lack of internet connection would make it exceedingly difficult. If we decide to go through a peer-editing phase, I would gladly participate in that, though.
    "Jump, and you will find out how to unfold your wings as you fall."
    -Ray Bradbury

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Okay. First thing we'd need is a file/text sharing area with the ability to include attachments. We can use Google Docs/Google Drive, or I can set up a forum here. Anyone can submit art, articles, poetry, essays, etc, but the selection and editing process is going to be crucial.
    I've set up a Google Doc folder and shared it with the committee so far. I should be able to easily add/change this if need be. So far, the committee is comprised of: Savage (only for final stages and only if absolutely necessary), yourdeer, UnknownTherian, cheetah, lemurflight, kaldin and me. Did I miss anyone?

Since we'll also need a place for submissions from general members, would it be possible to also have a subforum here? Then the committee can take the stuff from here and edit it in the Google Docs.

EDIT: Actually, I'm pretty sure I can create a subforum here if that's the route we want to take. Don't want to bog Savage down with extra work! If a subforum, like Project Shift in the Media subsection, works for the site, I should be able to create it.

"That's wolves for ya', good guys!" -Wolf, t10k
    wolf/werewolf | 37 | female | writer | scuba diver | funny | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | eclectic witch

Thanks for the Google doc, Elinox!
    Should we set up any protocol for editing it? Should the questions be answered in the document, or should we continue to answer them here?

Lindiel, I hope you can stay involved as much as you can, too! Peer editing is probably a good idea.

I'm thinking it would make sense to proceed by:
    1: Establishing criteria for included writings
    2: Putting a call out for those writings (and deciding where to put that call - just Werelist? Other forums/sites?)

Question: Should we seek out existing writings that may have already been inspirational to us or things we like and contact the authors about including their work?

I think everything else follows - once we know what the materials are that we have to work with, we'll have a better idea of how to arrange, edit, describe, and so on.

EDIT: I realized I haven't answered the original questions. Here's my input:

1) What should the title be?
    I like "Under the Skin" and agree with Savage that a subtitle might be good, though that might be better to decide on after the materials are already gathered and chosen - perhaps some unifying factor that would make a perfect subtitle will rear its head.

2) Should something be written at the back of the book (blurb)? What would be written?
    Yes, and again, I think it best to decide this after the writings are chosen.

3) Will there be cover illustrations? Will there be illustrations in the book?

Yes to cover illustrations, maybe to inside illustrations. I think it would be okay to allow submissions of illustrations if people have them to offer, and then decide whether to include them afterwards.

4) What will the format be like?

This could go a lot of ways. I kind of like the idea of categories based on experiences.

5) Should there be a foreword? Who should write it?
    I think it might be nice to have one. Perhaps once all the compiling is done, we will have something to say based on what's included, or the process of putting it together, or the community experience of working on this.

6) How long should the book be? How many writings will be in the book?

I think that depends entirely on what is submitted.

7) And of course, who will organise all of this?
    This seems to be working itself out as we go with Elinox's Google Doc.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdeer View Post
    Should we set up any protocol for editing it? Should the questions be answered in the document, or should we continue to answer them here?
    Here's how I would do it: with a subforum here with the appropriate criteria outlined, we open submissions. I think a hard deadline for when to no longer accept submissions is a must as we don't want someone coming in 4 months down the road complaining they want a piece in this when it's simply too late for the committee to make it possible. And while advertising on other sites would certainly get the word out, since this is a Werelist project (hopefully with proceeds benefiting us here) I think it should be Werelist member-centric. So mentioning it other places would be fine, but asking for input not so much. But for example, if someone from OKP wants to write something therian-related, they can submit it here if they're a member.

I am also highly in favor of keeping the community aware of how the project is going, so updates in the subforum would also be done. Things like editing, final written piece choices, organization, etc. should be done via the Google Docs. Separating the actual work from all the ideas, if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdeer
    1: Establishing criteria for included writings
    I don't think length is an issue, as long as someone isn't coming in with a research length piece. Poems, personal anecdotes and therian-related thoughts are what I think would be most appropriate. Personally, I don't think there needs to be essays or articles like 'what's a therian?' or 'this is what mental shifting is'. More along the lines of 'wolf feels like this' or a poem about flying, etc.

Basic criteria: spellchecked grammar, therian experience (poem or anecdote). We could get more specific, like no longer than 500 words, but I don't know what else should be the criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by yourdeer
    Question: Should we seek out existing writings that may have already been inspirational to us or things we like and contact the authors about including their work?
    I like this idea, simply because there are personal pieces out there I've read which are exactly what I think others would enjoy too. However, this then runs into two issues. 1. who contacts the original author? and 2. if this is a Werelist project, what if the original author isn't a member here?

"That's wolves for ya', good guys!" -Wolf, t10k
    wolf/werewolf | 37 | female | writer | scuba diver | funny | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | eclectic witch

(I'm going to put my two cents in seeing as it's still open for discussion here )

I don't think putting a word limit is a good idea, because writings can vary massivly. If a piece is far too long but still very well written and interesting, the author can always be contacted to work a way around cutting it down. Whether we ask around depends on whether it is going to be Werelist focused or not. Personally I reckon you're going to get more submissions and a wider range if you put the call out there, but it depends really on what you want.

I'm really interested in this and so would love to see updates within the subforum about progress and the like

I'd still lean towards the option for anonymous entries on an optional basis. You're not losing anything by creating a group Gmail account for people to submit entries to, but again that probably depends on if it's a Werelist project or not - and even if it is, it might be a good idea anyway.

If there's an interested party who isn't a member on Werelist, or someone who's work you completely adore who isn't a member, I don't think that should restrict your choice of work. Ideally we want the very best collection, so it seems a bit off to restrict yourself from certain works.

Also, a question, would you place a restriction on the number of entires per person? (I think that might be a good idea, but up to you)

Quote Originally Posted by elinox View Post
    Here's how I would do it: with a subforum here with the appropriate criteria outlined, we open submissions. I think a hard deadline for when to no longer accept submissions is a must as we don't want someone coming in 4 months down the road complaining they want a piece in this when it's simply too late for the committee to make it possible. And while advertising on other sites would certainly get the word out, since this is a Werelist project (hopefully with proceeds benefiting us here) I think it should be Werelist member-centric. So mentioning it other places would be fine, but asking for input not so much. But for example, if someone from OKP wants to write something therian-related, they can submit it here if they're a member.

I am also highly in favor of keeping the community aware of how the project is going, so updates in the subforum would also be done. Things like editing, final written piece choices, organization, etc. should be done via the Google Docs. Separating the actual work from all the ideas, if you will.
    This all sounds good to me. Deadline and community awareness sound great.
    I think "If you're a WL member, you can submit," is probably fair...? If people from elsewhere really wanted to participate, then they might join us here anyway if they weren't members already, and I see no harm in that. Though I think ShadowWalker has an excellent point above about a wider sample space garnering more/better works... I guess it depends how much emphasis is desired on "Werelist community works" verses "Therian community works." Not sure what would be better.

I don't think length is an issue, as long as someone isn't coming in with a research length piece. Poems, personal anecdotes and therian-related thoughts are what I think would be most appropriate. Personally, I don't think there needs to be essays or articles like 'what's a therian?' or 'this is what mental shifting is'. More along the lines of 'wolf feels like this' or a poem about flying, etc.

Basic criteria: spellchecked grammar, therian experience (poem or anecdote). We could get more specific, like no longer than 500 words, but I don't know what else should be the criteria.
    I love anthologies that have a mix of long and short entries. I'd be hesitant to exclude longer essays, though I guess "research-length" would be a bit much. Still, there might be a 10-pager out there that's really fantastic, and I'd hate to tell someone they can't enter it.

I like this idea, simply because there are personal pieces out there I've read which are exactly what I think others would enjoy too. However, this then runs into two issues. 1. who contacts the original author? and 2. if this is a Werelist project, what if the original author isn't a member here?
    1: Whoever thinks the essay should be submitted or "nominated."
    2: I guess that's complicated. Perhaps if two or three people all "nominate" a non-Werelister essay, we could reach out to the author about inclusion?