Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Site Open

Just some brainstorming on how we can support your efforts. Some thoughts:

1. You can post stuff for sale here to raise money for hosting, software, etc.

2. Obviously you can advertise for members here.

3. With individual author permission (consider mine granted) you can borrow whatever seems useful you to from here and modify it to suit you. While it is absolutely not our place to tell you how to run your site, you may find borrowing some of our basic guidelines, FAQ's, etc, to be handier than re-inventing the wheel. What works for you, use it. What doesn't, toss it or change it.

4. Likewise while the intent is not for Forest Horizon to end up looking or acting the same as Werelist, you may find it moderately useful not to have to re-invent the wheel over there. We've had more than a decade to come up with working shortcuts to dealing with basic community management issues, and while you should always make your own decisions, your staff can come and get a better look at our process on the Docent/Ambassador forum if you like. Sort of like corporate espionage, only friendlier. So yeah, steal our shit, we don't care, it all belongs to the community and is intended to benefit everyone.

5. I don't know jack about proboards, but maybe somebody here does? Ask away, or recruit for assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    Same, and I have other reasons why I don't think I'd be comfortable there.
    I'm too busy here to do much anywhere else, so for me it's a moot issue. But that's okay. I want other folks to find their comfort place, so supporting community diversity and different spaces gives more people that chance.

Which of course raises the questions of what we do now that the threads on planning offline groups and such are moved.
    In what sense? I don't see anything changing on Werelist. Though if there is already an established site offering a service, say a gardening or hiking forum, our policy if someone asked us to do the same exact thing would be to link over to the site already doing it, to avoid duplication and dilution. Doesn't mean we'll remove our gatherings forum or change anything that's already in place over here, though we might post a sticky link if that seems like a good useful resource.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    In what sense? I don't see anything changing on Werelist. Though if there is already an established site offering a service, say a gardening or hiking forum, our policy if someone asked us to do the same exact thing would be to link over to the site already doing it, to avoid duplication and dilution. Doesn't mean we'll remove our gatherings forum or change anything that's already in place over here, though we might post a sticky link if that seems like a good useful resource.
    I'm aware of that. But the primary people organizing the commune/community idea were Ashen, Lenowill, and a few others. Ashen specifically said (I don't have the time to dig it up) that the conversations on the subject would be more happening on the new site.

I think that infrequent information dumps, made by both parties, would be the way to go here.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    I'm aware of that. But the primary people organizing the commune/community idea were Ashen, Lenowill, and a few others. Ashen specifically said (I don't have the time to dig it up) that the conversations on the subject would be more happening on the new site.

I think that infrequent information dumps, made by both parties, would be the way to go here.
    There is a section for were-houses but Leno and I have since gone our separate ways since before we moved away from KY - I have no idea what they're plans are or aren't - Last I heard they were wanting to move west, but Leno isn't active on Forest Horizon either. I have my own plans, and I will continue to be a member of werelist to share information on howls or offline community networking as it's needed. As of now -- until people are willing to build offline relationships in a non introvert-we never talk way- the community is just howls. The offline community is still an ideal of mine but after moving and having it not work out.. I'm going to buy a farm (someday) and open it as a permanent howl location.. beyond that I don't see the commitment or funds needed available at the current time to really progress with the offline community plan, outside of me (and others if they want) just getting property and saying come if you want.

I want offline community badly it is part what urged me to start the new site.. but after hearing people talk about it.. the ones that are seriously interested are in school or in a life situation they cannot move away from, which is understandable - I'm in the same situation now but the other people that say they are interested admit that they are introverts and don't want to socialize with people real-time; and having just moved away from having neighbors that never talk or come over cept once every 6 months.. I"m not interested in that.. if someone is going to move to be close to someone, that someone can make the effort to socialize offline, imo.
    ~~Our power can be replicated, but not our beginings~~

Hm, this is interesting. At first I was skeptical, but after reading a bit I seem to fit in the second of the two types mentioned, the half-and half. I also found the articles about the relationship between therianthropy and Shamanism to be very worth the read. I might register after reading a bit more.
    “If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever.”

Yeah I'm very happy with the new site. I think it's a step up in the right direction for the community.

Siverwolf.
    Celtic Werewolf
    "Homo-Lycanthropus"

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

I want offline community badly it is part what urged me to start the new site.. but after hearing people talk about it.. the ones that are seriously interested are in school or in a life situation they cannot move away from, which is understandable - I'm in the same situation now but the other people that say they are interested admit that they are introverts and don't want to socialize with people real-time; and having just moved away from having neighbors that never talk or come over cept once every 6 months.. I"m not interested in that.. if someone is going to move to be close to someone, that someone can make the effort to socialize offline, imo.
    I didn't know what was going on down there and I'm sorry things turned out this way. :/

I share your sentiments, though I feel lucky that my location in a city is allowing myself and my house the ability to be social, meet others, and have community. I feel lucky that the city itself works for us. We're getting ready to start getting into a CSA and meat share, we have lots and lots of plants now and are mailing them out to people, and even just this week I got some mail to work on a project with someone who is a therian and needs help building something. I wasn't sure if we would be able to build more than a house by itself community here in boston, but, I now have numerous contacts with whom we share food and community and help each other with stuff.

I hope after I graduate and such I can finish writing information about our house and how we've been working slowly to build community. I know lots of people dream of a rural farm, but, for us it not logical (jobs, family, personal preference, medical community on my end) so instead we are making due with our situation. I hope other people can find others through their city connections and online communities like we have. Though I do hope someone in the near future manages to create a therian farm because I would love to buy goods from them and visit no matter where it was in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by herringbone View Post
    I didn't know what was going on down there and I'm sorry things turned out this way. :/

I share your sentiments, though I feel lucky that my location in a city is allowing myself and my house the ability to be social, meet others, and have community. I feel lucky that the city itself works for us. We're getting ready to start getting into a CSA and meat share, we have lots and lots of plants now and are mailing them out to people, and even just this week I got some mail to work on a project with someone who is a therian and needs help building something. I wasn't sure if we would be able to build more than a house by itself community here in boston, but, I now have numerous contacts with whom we share food and community and help each other with stuff.

I hope after I graduate and such I can finish writing information about our house and how we've been working slowly to build community. I know lots of people dream of a rural farm, but, for us it not logical (jobs, family, personal preference, medical community on my end) so instead we are making due with our situation. I hope other people can find others through their city connections and online communities like we have. Though I do hope someone in the near future manages to create a therian farm because I would love to buy goods from them and visit no matter where it was in the US.

That's excellent Herringbone! I hope things continue to go well and your able to share your experiences to help others to the same thing. I still have most of the same goals, but they got set back a little bit.. One day I will have that farm.. or I'll just be dead. lol But I know what you mean about a farm just not being feasible with current situations.
    ~~Our power can be replicated, but not our beginings~~

Quote Originally Posted by herringbone View Post
    Though I do hope someone in the near future manages to create a therian farm because I would love to buy goods from them and visit no matter where it was in the US.
    Have one, though it's currently a pasture rental situation while we live off-premises. All our meat gets raised there, and there is more than enough to share. I can not legally sell our home processed farm meat, but I can share it. Also for sharing are hides, bones, feathers and other farm by-products. Shipping is annoying and cost prohibitive for the most part, however, so visiting would be the better option.

Hungry and local? We can probably fix that. Having too much meat is actually a perpetual problem, though there are certainly worse problems to have in this economy.

Ashen I do hope you get to move forward soon and find more likeminded souls around you. Perseverance! Your website will be a step in the right direction.

Myself and Yourdeer are hoping to do a visit down the east coast to any therians who are willing to take us in the next 2 years. I want to do the SE Howl soon and use that time to visit others on the way. I am always happy to take meat and bones off of someone's hands if they are giving it away/sharing, Savage, and am thankful for your generosity. Hopefully we'll be able to plan for that next spring.