Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25333435

Thread: Daily Dose Of Positivity

I saw a cormorant the other day.

Also, where we're staying, there's a cormorant statue. https://stancarey.wordpress.com/2009...of-cormorants/
    Last edited by Kerguelen; April 27th, 2022 at 01:20 PM.

Whoops, didn't realize it had been quite so long since I last logged on... I passed my dissertation proposal! The whole experience ended up being really fun (as I had initially thought it would be haha). I wished it could have been longer, it was just so wonderful to get to talk with my committee members about everything. I wore my theta delta necklace, which my chair immediately complimented, and everyone was really supportive/excited when I explained what it was. I had a great time nerding out explaining community terminology/history to them, and I felt really respected as both a researcher and community member bridging my knowledge in both realms for this project. Now I really don't think I'll be nervous about my final defense at all, because it'll just be that but even better - I can't wait!

So now I'm trying to get the IRB finished ASAP so I can start data collection, which I'm very excited about. Hopefully that goes smoothly, although I'm prepared for setbacks as my school's IRB can be really particular.

Blog Entries

Congratulations, that sounds wonderful!

I do wonder how much the reception RE the neutral to positive reaction to alterhuman/therian/otherkin stuff was due to the rarefied academic atmosphere. I feel like in most places, even in academia, that kind of thing would make one a laughing stock. I’ve had that kind of reaction before, which is why I half jokingly say I would rather disembowel myself than go through it again. People tend to see you as delusional or a childish, feeble minded new age quack. I’m glad that wasn’t your experience, however.

What’s worse is that I think that if I were in their shoes I might even see it the same way, so to a point I don’t blame them. Hence the shame. It’s a catch 22… best catch there is.

Blog Entries

You're doing really important work for us all Bloodmuffins, and it excites me so much to hear it's going well. Always had a fear about therianthropy and otherkinity coming into view in academic spaces but it warms my heart a bit when I hear about it going over smoothly.

Also hi everyone I've been EXCRUCIATINGLY busy, hah. But in a good way, back to doing what I love, and living independently once more after the pandemic took that away from me. I've come to realize in returning to my industry and community that skills I have are in very high demand right now, and old colleagues are grabbing at me for high positions and offering me a lot more money than I'm used to to do what I can do. Which is ironic since I still keep choosing to go to venues and work for peanuts because a) my friends are there, b) I like the atomsphere and c) I live a minimalist lifestyle with crunched down bills and expenses and I just can if I so choose.

I got pulled on alongside one of my best friends to be the two venue technicians for a little local indigenous theatre's shows for Toronto Fringe Festival 2022! I haven't worked Fringe since 2019 and I'm very excited. I don't even know what they'll pay me yet (Fringe in 2019 paid not much but enough to cover my expenses and let me have fun, and 2022 will pay no less than that) but y'know what? I don't care. This is life, I must live.

Also a week or so ago I finally after years of trying to make it work submitted my legal name and gender marker change applications. So in a few weeks, things should make much more sense in my life and be streamlined with less risk.
    Last edited by irritatedandroid; May 10th, 2022 at 01:48 PM.
    Jasper - He/him - 24
    Alolan Marowak Fictherian - Dragon-Hearted
    Wildly curious and here for a good time.

Blog Entries

I'm happy to hear you passed your dissertation, Bloodmuffins.

I saw a Western tanager today. They're not actually particularly rare here, but they're just an incredibly beautiful bird and I've not seen a tanager in the wild in... years.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Blog Entries

Nice spot!!

That festival sounds like a lot of fun, Jasper. I’m not sure I’ve ever been to anything like that.

My husband nabbed us and our friend tickets to see one of my favorite bands next month, though. It’s a concert that got delayed from last year, so by the time I’d heard about it, tickets were all scalped to hell. I was really shocked we were able to find anything just a few weeks out from the concert. Guess maybe some people had to cancel or something??

And I also changed my sex/gender designation on my license recently (weird that the digital version says gender instead of sex; technically more accurate, but the paperwork I filled out to change the “sex” designation made it obvious it is referring to gender).

Thanks so much for all the support, y'all, it really means a lot! And I'm excited to hear about fun things happening for y'all, too. Congrats on the gender change stuff, Jasper and Kiso :3

@TopBrass re: reactions in academia:

Y'know, it's really interesting because I think people tend to assume that there will be a negative reaction in academia, and that was certainly what I assumed the reaction would be at first, but at this point I've been talking about this stuff in academic psychology spaces since 2015, and I've had nothing but positive reception. My experience has been that if I present it in a serious manner as just another facet of identity that is understudied, then others follow my tone and take it seriously. That was how my undergrad thesis committee was, how my current dissertation committee is, and how every other professor and fellow grad student I've encountered and talked about this with has been.

That's not to say no one will ever have a negative reaction or that anyone else discussing these things will necessarily share in my experiences, of course - I certainly don't want to invalidate negative experiences people have had, and I've also had negative experiences online and in some offline personal spaces. However, I also mention the positive experiences I've had to challenge some of the concerns I see people discuss, particularly within the realm of academia and psychology. There truly are a lot of people out there ready to learn about us and be our allies. I have had so much internalized negativity about this identity I've practically drowned in it, so I get how difficult it can be to believe that, but after being pleasantly surprised so many times, I've found myself really starting to believe it and heal from some of my own shit. I hope hearing about these experiences may give hope to others, too.