Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Daily Dose Of Positivity

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kerguelen View Post
    Cormorant feets! LOL I love it
    Cormorant feets are the best birb feets!

Cormorants have eyes like gems. Does blue feel like the right color for you? I'm also seeing green, amber, and brown in cormorant and anhinga photos. PM me any reference photos that feel real enough to you? Pretty please! Would you prefer feathers that are all black, or black with a white chest, or something else ridiculously pretty like this guy?

Here's some cormorants that I think fit the...bill, lol pretty well:
    https://i.redd.it/dimcd48ma8y21.jpg
    https://live.staticflickr.com/4754/3...0f7dab24_b.jpg

Thank you so much for doing this for me

Some time ago I found one interesting piece of technology, maybe bird therians will appreciate this)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbDv38aI_l8

Solar powered two seat electric sailplane that is actually practical. And it is also DIY) Very clever idea behind it. Basically, it has unlimited flight range, without dependence on fuel, but can fly only during the day and can't fly for a long time in high latitudes in cold season.

Based on high-performance sailplane it has lift-to-drag ratio of 40. The physics of flight works in the way, that the higher the lift-to-drag ratio, the less energy you need to maintain levelled flight. And with this high quality it need only 3 kW of power to fly, why it's solar cells could generate up to 5.5 kW. It's not accounting thermal upstreams.

It has some batteries enough for about 15 minutes of full throttle, and maximum power of electric motor is 20 kW, which is needed only during the takeoff, and initial gaining of altitude. And during levelled flight it can charge batteries. Empty mass is 280 kg, useful load is 200 kg.

I find this kind of technologies beautiful and a bit inspiring. Hilariously expensive, though, as all carbon fibber planes. But there are some chance that this kind of things will become more affordable as technologies continue to develop. If human civilization will not collapse too fast...

What is also interesting about this craft, it was built by this person with his wife, and now they fly over the Europe:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH3u...ature=emb_logo

Their channel for more videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTU...tZx7JEVCtAFfng
    Last edited by Forest Wind; June 19th, 2020 at 10:08 PM.

Blog Entries

That is so darn cool! What an elegant little craft.

might not sound all that positive but I promise it is:
    there's this wolf spider that keeps coming in the front door. And I'm not even mad, because it seems genuinely confused. Every once in a while, I'll look towards the door and oops there's the spider again. I keep catching it and putting it outside, or just opening the door and prodding it until it runs outside, but every night this damn spider finds its way back in the crack in the door. And it doesn't really WANT to be inside. It just scrambles at the door like that's going to solve any of its problems. I could make some ~*profound*~ comparison of this spider to my life situation, but really, I just wanted to share a spider story. I find it entertaining.

Blog Entries

I want a sailplane! Awesome.

I was laughing at Kerguelen's wolf spider story. (You've gotta name him.)

I'm getting back into music, obsessively. I used to have around 80,000 mp3s, mostly of rare vinyl from the 80s and earlier. Post-punk, punk rock, prog rock, and so many other genres.

I'm going through quite an overwhelming time at the moment for various reasons, which has made it difficult for me to properly relax at all for way too long. That in turn feeds into a cycle of feeling more overwhelmed, getting less done/procrastinating, not being able to relax, feeling more overwhelmed, and so on.

But tonight I decided to read a book I have about wolves as it's something I haven't taken the time to do in ages. I've got to say it's really helped me to feel calm, relatively speaking at least.

(If anybody's interested, the book's Wolves on the Hunt by Mech, Smith, and MacNulty. I'd definitely recommend it. I've also been meaning to read The Wolves of Denali by Mech and others, but haven't gotten round to it yet.)
    "We have doomed the wolf not for what it is, but for what we deliberately and mistakenly perceive it to be––the mythologized epitome of a savage, ruthless killer––which is, in reality, no more than the reflected image of ourself." – Farley Mowat, Never Cry Wolf

Blog Entries

It looks good. I'll have to stick it on my book list.

The frogs at work thrived while I was away, and so did the plants in the greenhouse. It's nice to see how much they've grown and filled out the place; one of the trees is like three times larger than before.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Blog Entries

I'll have to check out that book, too. It's not among the plethora of wildlife books I've read. I loved Mech as a kid.

Cheetah: How's the gecko?

I wish my circumstances were right for me to adopt an axolotl. I adore them.

Blog Entries

I forgot to mention that last weekend I got a grand look at the comet. I was in the mountains for work, and we made a little trip out after dark to the old ranch house by a few of our sites, away from the city, in the dark and the wide and the wild. Thankfully my boss remembered binoculars.

I’m so grateful I got such a good look. I saw three shooting stars out there too, including a blazingly intense one that made me exclaim “HOOOLY SHIT” in front of the crew. The stars were so clear and bright, too. The Milky Way was dusted across the whole sky and from horizon to horizon it was almost like TV static it was so clear and starry.

The last time I really glimpsed a comet was Hale-Bop, and I was like seven years old or so. I was also two years from finding out how near-sighted I was, so my memory is mostly of being disappointed by the blur I was looking at.

No disappointment this time. That’s a happy memory that will stick with me.