Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20282930

Thread: Daily Dose Of Positivity

Blog Entries

I got a lot of weeding done today. Mostly in the pollinator garden. The yellow butterfly weed is flowering, which it's never done before, and it's looking really nice. Kind of weird that it only starts once the orange variety has mostly gone to seed, but I'm not complaining; it just means we get to enjoy pretty flowers longer.

We don't seem to be getting many caterpillars this season (at least not yet), but I have seen a few, so that's nice. They're still kind of small, so perhaps there are more that I've been missing, and I'll notice them later.

The pond outside also has a bunch of tadpoles in it, and a couple have already completed metamorphosis! They appear to be bullfrogs, though being frogs, they haven't been terribly cooperative in staying still and being identifiable.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Blog Entries

All of my new plants - the snow queen pothos cutting, the Epiphyllum cuttings, and the Oxalis tetrafolia bulbs, are sprouting new growth!! I'm delighted. I also impulse-bought an N'Joy pothos. I'm such a sucker for variegated leaves. I'm waiting for the new leaf on my snow queen to unfurl so I can see the color pattern!!

Also extremely positive news - my best friend successfully moved yesterday. Got to see him for the first time in sixth months ... and now he never has to leave!! It's absolutely surreal.

The whole move-in process went down great, too. I surprised him by summoning another couple local friends to help out, so carrying everything he had up to the third floor took no more than an hour! And that meant we all got to get pizza and even his brother got to join us before leaving.

I also was able to provide Hawaiian food for him and for the friends who helped us with the unloading, as thanks. Kahlua pork, butter mochi, mango coleslaw, and Spam musubi.

The friends who helped also brought me an enormous home-grown zucchini, which I baked into zucchini bread, along with my boss's home-grown eggs. Hoooo boy, it's the best zucchini bread I've ever made, bar none. It's another favorite of my best pal, so I was excited to bring him more good food today. I also had stocked his new kitchen with local beer, cider, peaches, and honey before he got here. Everything's gone great, and he's really happy. I helped him unpack things and put together his new desk today.

I've been all jazzed up with excitement and giddiness all weekend. It reminds me of when I started college. All the newness and excitement is really positive, but it's tiring! So much to absorb.

It'll be a really busy and grueling week on the road for work, but gosh, things are good.

Blog Entries

Very happy to see my garden coming back to life this summer, with so many peppers and herbs. I seriously think I'm going to need some bigger jars when I harvest everything.

There's also a sense of satisfaction when you grow something yourself. And for me personally, I like sitting outside and picking all the little leaves from my thyme plants. It's like a soothing form of meditation, with the warm summer air in the evening and all the dragonflies flitting past. It makes me happy and grateful for all the little moments like these.
    We share our physical lives with those in spirit. For life, like love, never dies.
    Love knows no limits, not even death.

Blog Entries

That sounds fantastic, Hazel.

My friend’s balcony faces east and gets full sun (mine faces kind of south, which would be good, but it’s partially shaded by a tree). We’ve recently put a basil plant out on his. We used its leaves in a lasagna yesterday (that also had some mozzarella he made!) I’ve been wanting to grow more herbs and some vegetables on the balcony for a while. I’m thinking it’s finally going to happen now, between the two of us. Too bad the growing season is almost done.

Herbs should be easy, and some potted peppers or something. But I’m dreaming of a big bottled dwarf raspberry and a trellis with green beans… maybe someday. Got to start somewhere!

A lot of days I'll jump on WL for a few minutes and read the dailies, sometimes a discussion if I like the subject. Many a times I'll read something someone wrote and although I may have nothing to say I find much of it heartwarming. Considering how cynical I am, that is pretty darn impressive I think.

Blog Entries

Got free from a very temporary art block. As with other 'blips' in the road, I'm finally able to dream again from weeks of nothingness, paired with feeling the general flow of my energy once more.
    On the mundane path...I am going to drop a draining career and take up teaching as my main now. I can get a full taste of the school year instead of part of it.
    Timber wolf therian-- Zhuardarian changeling-- horse hearted
    ~Being kin is a journey of finding yourself, losing yourself, searching and doing it all over again.~

Blog Entries

Congrats on the new career path and art successes, Vintage! I have been having a pretty good time with art this year… having a portable tablet setup with an iPad has really propelled me back into drawing, which I’ve neglected for years.

I’m thinking more about my herb garden idea and considering selling a fake plant I have to make space for a new shelf specifically for herbs in my sunniest window alcove. If it doesn’t get enough light, I can install a grow light. I just like the idea of a consistent year-round little herb garden. Then, if my friend and I get really motivated, we can dedicate the balconies to actual food. It could be really fun to spend the winter planning out a true summer vegetable garden.

Gardening seems like such a great and wholesome hobby. It's also a time commitment, and is hostage to the whims of climate and weather, so that rules it out for me although I've dabbled with pepper plants a few times. I have one trinidad scorpion plant, and the others I planted either never sprouted or died almost immediately after sprouting. I think it was too late in the year when I planted them. Definitely a hobby that requires dedication and patience, respect for people who take it up.

I feel like I don't even have enough time for the hobbies I have, but I couldn't be more happy with them. This has been a really great year. I've expanded a lot more into the arts, poetry, and literature. I've been reading usually 200 to 300 pages a day. My record this summer was 500 pages in one day while reading Faulkner's Light in August, which is also a fantastic book(much like everything else he wrote!).

Blog Entries

Got to see a lot of bonsai and ikebana at the botanical garden recently. They were pretty nice--the bonsai were about what I expected (though still magnificent), but the ikebana took flower arrangements to heights I'd never even considered before. The use of branches and twigs for effect was particularly striking and unexpected; next time I have the opportunity to get cut flowers I may try my hand.

Turns out there are a bunch of Missouri native trees and bushes that can be convinced to be bonsai, which raises interesting future possibilities. A little bonsai forest of native bushes would be very nice; imagine if I could get a redbud to be a bonsai!

I don't really have the time to do bonsai anytime soon, but it's pleasant to think about.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier