Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Daily Dose Of Positivity

Blog Entries

Aw man, I haven't seen a goldfinch in ages. I love them very much.

Gah, I'm down to only three local corvids I haven't seen this year. (Maybe two? I can't remember if I have seen a blue jay.) The blue jay should be acheivable. Canada jay and Chihuahuan raven are... less likely.

I got word that my last jay nest fledged successfully!! Very happy to hear that. I miss them.

I'm also back from my second work stint in the sage-steppe. DONE with it now, thank goodness. The rest of the season should be far less frustrating. It was a good and very busy week. Hiked about 32+ miles in 3 days, always waking up before dawn to do so and then getting hit with brutal wind in the afternoons. Fingers crossed our efforts pay off.

But being home has been great. I feel way more relaxed. This might be the happiest I've been since the pandemic hit. I also discovered my hammock fits PERFECTLY on my balcony if I tie it to the corners of the metal rail, and reading and having a grapefruit hard cider out there was heaven.

Today I'm baking something special. Sunday, too, actually.

Blog Entries

We have goldfinches everywhere. Teeny-tiny flits of yellow in the marsh.

I hadn't considered that a hammock might fit on a balcony. I've mentally filed away that information for possible future use.

I'm generally happy when other people are happy.

I hope this isn't oversharing: my level of pain from my chronic pain condition has been nearly zero all year. I don't know why, but I'm sure as hell going to get outside and get into better shape now that my body is allowing me to. Keto again. And I want to take up a martial art. But I'm female-presenting and so many martial arts schools are boyzones. I don't want to compete against endomorphic cis men with bodies like bears. I'm naturally an ectomorph, but unlike the portrait of a typical ectomorph, I do gain weight when pain limits my exercise tolerance.

Hurray for being active and pain-free! I hope I didn't jinx myself by posting this.

It's now really summery here which, even though I don't like the heat, means there's loads of refreshing smells from flowers and other plants. It's especially nice at nighttime when they're carried on a cool, light breeze.

Blog Entries

Nerding out about languages with my wife is the best way to spend a weekend.
    A negative number was raised to a power that is not an integer.

Finally doing some minor tasks that you've been putting off for weeks feels so good (even if it's to procrastinate from an even bigger task... but at least doing the minor tasks has given me some headspace to tackle the bigger one).
    Last edited by Lupus Paws; June 11th, 2020 at 08:13 PM.

my horrible anxiety about the state of the world is gone for a minute, let's party

Quote Originally Posted by Lupus Paws
    (even if it's to procrastinate from an even bigger task... but at least doing the minor tasks has given me some headspace to tackle the bigger one)
    How familiar... X)

Quote Originally Posted by Lupus Paws View Post
    Finally doing some minor tasks that you've been putting off for weeks feels so good (even if it's to procrastinate from an even bigger task... but at least doing the minor tasks has given me some headspace to tackle the bigger one).
    I was wrong. Doing minor tasks only gave me headspace to procrastinate on bigger task. Maybe one day I will learn not to trust myself (although I have little hope lol).

On the bright side, the minor and bigger tasks are both done now, even if the bigger one was completed in the midst of caffeine-fueled panic and chaos.
    "We have doomed the wolf not for what it is, but for what we deliberately and mistakenly perceive it to be––the mythologized epitome of a savage, ruthless killer––which is, in reality, no more than the reflected image of ourself." – Farley Mowat, Never Cry Wolf

Blog Entries

Positivity: I moved to Toronto temporarily. Since then, I have enough leathercrafting supplies to last me five years.

Same for acrylics. Same for watercolour paint. Same for terrarium building. Same for pyrography, encompassing both leather burning and wood burning. Same for chalks of different shades. Same for Prismacolors. Same for epoxy resin and dyes and metallic flakes. I can make anything.

I wonder if I can make a cormorant skull? Right now I'm sketching cormorant beaks and cormorant feets for Kerguelen. Yes, "feets".

I'm going to pour ice resin into silicone molds with crow skull shapes and add black dye and silver metallic pieces around the front of the beak, for people who like crows and ravens.

I'll take commissions. Miniature animal skulls of all types will be welcome. Buttons and pins. I'm waiting for our libraries to open up; they have 3D printers.

What themes do I want to focus on? Natural history and feral children. The real-life creatures who inspired werewolf hysteria back in the day. The drawings and personal accounts that early naturalists used for local species when exploring a new land. "Wolf-cat" meant lynx. There's so much of this early stuff to locate, order, upload, and use creatively. I want to turn all of it into buttons or pins and ink prints.

I'm an environmental history nerd.

Look at my very, very belated birthday gift to myself. It's finally back in stock! It complements the boreal forest Pleasant Hearth Fire Ring I have out in the fields. Looking forward to some nice bonfires and grilling this season. Including vegetarian barbecue.
    Last edited by Coyote Jones; June 17th, 2020 at 11:30 PM.

Cormorant feets! LOL I love it