Thread: Place For Plants?

Blog Entries

Default Place For Plants?

There are no active resources for plant-identified people. And what dead resources there are only a few (one being Livejournal community and another being a proboards forum) and rest have sense been deleted over the years (a few webpages on ’greenkin’ and another Livejournal community).

I have no resources or place for ‘my needs’ or ‘my issues.’ I’ve seen other plant-identified people show-up on a few forums, but they stop posting rather quickly. And to be honest, I have a hard time relating to therians or otherkin. I can’t relate to your instincts as trees don’t have ‘instincts.’ I can’t relate to your feelings on wanting to move at all and make sounds that the human species does not normally make. I relate to the alienness of limbs, of muscles, of eating/drinking, of walking, of having senses, of breathing…

The main reason I am active on therian forums is they are the only sliver of a resource I have for dealing with my identity. To be honest, I’m really tired of hearing “Otherkin are ‘mythical,’ and therians are ‘animals’ and the only ones from Earth.”

I feel a need for there to be a resource for plant-identified people as there isn’t one. There isn’t a place describing what ’phytanthropy’ is and that it even exists. I started writing essays about my feelings and about phytanthropy to help me feel better (Kin to the Plants: Of People Who Identify As Plants, A Cycle of Rooting and Uprooting, and What is Being A Phytanthrope To Me?), but I still feel there needs to be something for… phytanthrope.

A forum is out of the question. There just aren’t around online for it be remain functioning. But a website maybe? What could be on it? There is no information on plant-identified people so what could be written there? What does it take to create a site from nothing to go off of?

And also what could they be called? I prefer phytanthrope because therians and otherkin are so insist therian means ’Earth animal’ and many are so insistent otherkin means ’not from Earth’ or ’mythical’ so I don’t use plantkin.

I need help. I need advise. I need a place where I can say this is who I am and what I am. Because that doesn't exist anywhere.

- Darahagh

I think this is a very good idea.

You could perhaps start off by posting your essays there, and maybe later adding writings by other plant-identified people who might want to contribute? I don't know, I have no website-building experience. It's just a thought.

Blog Entries

'The Verdant Grove' sounds good. What do you think?
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgirl44 View Post
    I think this is a very good idea.

You could perhaps start off by posting your essays there, and maybe later adding writings by other plant-identified people who might want to contribute? I don't know, I have no website-building experience. It's just a thought.
    Yes, that is what I've about come to the conclusion of myself. Start of with what I can come up with for essays of use to phytanthropes and essays on my own personal experiences. Plus maybe others later on can help add to the site in content.

Right now, it might just be coming up with things to write about. Usually, basic information sites on therianthropy have things like a list of what terms mean, a description of what it means, common experiences, resources, and such. However, sense plant people are so rare none such things have ever really been established. (There isn't even a set or generally agreed upon term for plant-people.) Plus I'm worried I might 'color' the site too much with my own experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    'The Verdant Grove' sounds good. What do you think?
    That sounds like a great website name.

For a website host, I'm currently considering Weebly if I can't think of something better. As our system is certainly using it as we redo our website and are really enjoying what we have seen with it thus far.

- Darahagh

This may be completely irrelevant, but I hope not....

There are beings that I know of from ancient Greek stories called "hamadryads." They are similar to dryads in that they are connected to trees, but the hamadryads are a *part* of the tree -- as in, as much a part as it's leaves or roots.

I found this explanation which is pretty close to what I recall reading before: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamadryad

I bring this up because I wonder if perhaps you'd want to broaden the website's "target audience" to include those who identify as dryads or hamadryads, if there are any, as they are fairly closely related to trees, thus plants? I could be totally wrong, but I've always considered dryads to be earthly beings, not solely entities of another plane or realm. But, not being a dryad or dryad-kin, I don't know how exactly they tend to view their own origins (Earth vs. Other).

I think your idea is wonderful and I'm about to go read your essays; I'm absolutely fascinated by what your experience has to be like!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Livvy View Post
    This may be completely irrelevant, but I hope not....

There are beings that I know of from ancient Greek stories called "hamadryads." They are similar to dryads in that they are connected to trees, but the hamadryads are a *part* of the tree -- as in, as much a part as it's leaves or roots.

I found this explanation which is pretty close to what I recall reading before: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamadryad

I bring this up because I wonder if perhaps you'd want to broaden the website's "target audience" to include those who identify as dryads or hamadryads, if there are any, as they are fairly closely related to trees, thus plants? I could be totally wrong, but I've always considered dryads to be earthly beings, not solely entities of another plane or realm. But, not being a dryad or dryad-kin, I don't know how exactly they tend to view their own origins (Earth vs. Other).

I think your idea is wonderful and I'm about to go read your essays; I'm absolutely fascinated by what your experience has to be like!
    Yes, I know of dyrads and other plant spirit entities, and have even once met a few dyrad-kin.

I am thinking of having the site open to plants similar to how the website Birds of a Feather is to avians. it’s a website concerned with ‘avianness’ no matter if its from an Earth bird or a non-physical Earth avian creature like a phoenix or harpy. Similar I think a website open to both Earth plants and non-physical Earth plant-creatures like dryads, ents, or others would be best.

- Darahagh