Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: (Test) How good are you at reading human emotions just from eyes?

Blog Entries

Default (Test) How good are you at reading human emotions just from eyes?

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/1...ehind-the-eyes

This came up on my Facebook feed today, and I thought it was kind of fascinating. I was curious how well or poorly the therian population would do on a face-reading test like this.

It seems fairly common for therians to report, if not Aspergers or something similar, at least difficulty in communicating to some extent.

I got a 35/36. (So close!!)

I was pleased during the test to find that I had a pretty easy time determining the expressions and usually didn't have to consciously look for signals.

But then again, reading face and body language comes naturally for me, as it does with -most- people who don't have a disorder. It's the more cultural things that are trickier for me; small talk, friendliness to people you don't know, eye contact with strangers... All things that differ by country. I also can be a little awkward with strangers in general, at least the ones I'm not being introduced to.

Anyway, obviously this test isn't strictly scientific, but it's kind of interesting.

I got a score of 24 out of 36.

I scored 20/36. I've had to teach myself to read eyes because I'll naturally not look at them as it makes me nervous to make eye contact with anyone I'm not close to. I'm relatively pleased given that fact and given that I guessed on a few with them because some of them confused me because the options didn't seem to suit what I thought they were portraying.

So, all-in-all, I'm fairly happy with the score even if it isn't 35/36.

"Preoccupied"? That's not a genuine expression.

25/36 - Though, in my opinion, there were a number in there that are expressions depicting un-complex emotions but being given answers that were disproportionately complex.

Personally, I think that our ability to read facial expressions is an important part of our communication between therians and, of course, other species. Seeing that we are predisposed, for want of a better term, towards using these sorts of communications I would anticipate that facial expression recognition across various species would yield far higher results for therians in comparison to non-therians.
    ~ The Thread Won't Cut ~
    "An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." - Martin Buber

32/36. I've always prided myself on being able to read people just by looking at them. I agree with seph- a couple of them are just like "what?"

Even recently I've watched the Lady Gaga video for "Applause" (guilty pleasure- a.k.a. stuck in my head) and while the video is batshit insane, I can SEE that she's having a ton of fun doing it. I bet she'd be a fun girl to know on a personal basis.

Kisota, as far as cultural things and being social with strangers, I completely agree with you. Its tough. When I was younger I'd avoid eye contact because I didn't want to offend anyone. As I got into my late teens, I was told that maintaining eye contact with a potential employer (or someone you just want to impress) is essential, especially during interviews. Except I find that most people look away before I do, now? Do they know? I sincerely doubt it, but I really hope I don't make them uncomfortable. Small talk is also something I still have serious trouble with, though I have been working really hard at it.
    Last edited by Yoraeryu; November 12th, 2013 at 11:53 AM.

I got 21 XD I fail. I usually don't look people in the eye anyways.

I think the test was pretty inaccurate, but it was fun. I got a 19/36. I think I need a little more than eyes to know how they feel.
    "In war, fear is the woman your mother warned you about."
    - Hiroshi Sakurazaka, "All You Need is Kill"

Despite some of the images being hard to see, I also felt that not all the emotions were displayed as I would display them, and thus they confused me. I got a 33/36 and the ones I got wrong were the ones which confused me the most.

"That's wolves for ya', good guys!" -Wolf, t10k
    wolf/werewolf & clouded leopard| 38 | female | writer | scuba diver | funny | chaotic good | Hufflepuff | INFP | eclectic witch

I did the test. I got a 17 out of 36.

Blog Entries

28/36, so still in the average range. I actually had to look up some of the words (pensive and tentative) since English isn't my first language.

I also noticed that all the flirty eyes were pictures of women... hm.