Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: (Test) How good are you at reading human emotions just from eyes?

29/36. I only missed one that was a picture of a female, so I guess I'm not as good at reading men? Granted, most of the ones I missed were the ones where it was like…some kind of old man covered in stage makeup or something.

Interesting thing is, I avoid direct eye contact if at all possible, because it makes me feel vulnerable and easier to read. But I do spend a lot of time watching other peoples' eyes when they're looking at something else, so maybe that's why I'm decent at recognizing the emotions there?

Blog Entries

I got 22. Which, given that I was closely examining them (and I don't do that in real life) is not surprising.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Yoraeryu View Post
    Kisota, as far as cultural things and being social with strangers, I completely agree with you. Its tough. When I was younger I'd avoid eye contact because I didn't want to offend anyone. As I got into my late teens, I was told that maintaining eye contact with a potential employer (or someone you just want to impress) is essential, especially during interviews. Except I find that most people look away before I do, now? Do they know? I sincerely doubt it, but I really hope I don't make them uncomfortable. Small talk is also something I still have serious trouble with, though I have been working really hard at it.
    Oh, yeah, it's 100 times worse when it's a very formal situation with lots of unspoken expectations, too. And once I start thinking "Am I making eye contact the appropriate amount?" it's all I can think about and I probably make things worse for myself by hyperanalyzing.

I find, too, that words are sometimes harder. I'm good at reading face and body language. But I can get seriously confused and/or irritated if a person's face/body language and words don't match up. For example, there was a little confusion when I moved into my apartment, and I had to sign the new lease AFTER moving in (my mate had already signed one and lived in the apartment a month before I arrived). When I went to ask about signing a lease, the woman said "You've already moved in??... Great!" with horror in her eyes and a smile that didn't get past her lips. Total phony response and everything about her posture and face said "OH NO" even as she was putting forth this fake friendliness. I heard the words, but practically before they registered I'd already read what the rest of her was saying and almost ran away going "SORRY SORRY, I DIDN'T MEAN TO." There must have been some miscommunication, but it became horribly awkward because I instantly realized she had NOT wanted me to move in before signing the paperwork (there's really no way that could have happened anyway, which is why we'd had a prior agreement she'd apparently forgotten... but anyway... *cough*)

I felt kind of angry, mostly because she didn't seem to remember anything we'd discussed, but also because she was giving such mixed signals. It's usually (though not always) pretty obvious when someone is saying something they don't really mean or feel, and it really aggravates me.

I also tend to analyze what people say a lot... Poor word choice can provoke me. We have to use these pre-made sounds/shapes, and they all mean very specific things, so choose them wisely, because they're not as intuitive as body language!

As far as the test itself goes,
    I noticed only the women had flirty eyes, too. Weird. Maybe it's because it's less socially acceptable for men to make eyes at people because "creepy." I don't know!

And I did notice that some of the answers were oddly specific or strangely chosen words. Is this person A) Despondent B) Confused or C) Stressed about taxes??

Some of the time I was going more on how the pictures made me feel. The "hostile" eyes made me kind of uncomfortable, so that was my guess. I think most of the time reading expressions is totally intuitive, and putting a single word with an expression can probably make it trickier, because what if that's not the word you would use to describe that face?

I got 23/36. Seemed like I was better at picking out positive emotions than negative ones, but I couldn't say that for sure.

33/36

Is this a blessing? Or a curse?

I got 36/36

The ones that I was most unsure about were "Anticipating" and the male version of "Thoughtful". I've always been good at reading people though.
    Last edited by Spacedog; November 12th, 2013 at 06:57 PM.

Well, at least it's good to know I'm not too abnormal. Not quite as sensitive as I thought, though. Wish there was a breakdown based on age and gender of the eyes, too.
    Time you enjoy wasting isn't always wasted time. ~ phrase from Salt Lake City, Utah

I got a flat 20 I know I have trouble taking visual ques but what got me is one of them said flirtatious and i thought it was hostile man ...I hate human expressions to hard to make out unless they are really overt
    "To be forgotten it worse then death." (Unknown)
    o-O " Oh, and are you going to eat that?"( Robert)

25, the ones I struggled with were mainly ones that didn't show the eyebrows clearly or how the face was being held since I rely more on a combination of cues. I think I got lucky with a few guesses as well since a lot of those emotions were pretty obscure
    Normality is an illusion, what's normal for the spider is chaos for the fly

36/36, when I was really little I used to tell people I knew what they were thinking, and I was usually right. The eyes are a window to the soul...
    Did anyone else think the guys were easier to read than the gals?