Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: What book are you currently reading?

Blog Entries

Anyone here ever read The Animal Dialogues? I've always enjoyed my copy.

Also starting in on reading The Snow Leopard by Peter Matthiessen. Read the first few chapters previously, and it seemed like an interesting travel book.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

I read a lot of Karl May's books, but I'm currently writing my own novel, so I didn't have much time to read other books.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Flamery View Post
    I read a lot of Karl May's books, but I'm currently writing my own novel, so I didn't have much time to read other books.
    What a weird coincidence. I had never even heard of this author until about fifteen minutes ago, and then by some turn you happen to mention it! It is mentioned in Peter Longerich's biography of Heinrich Himmler:

It is clear from his reading-list for the years 1923-4 that his interest in 'Teutonic' topics not only endured by increased. Above all, in September 1923 he began reading the trilogy of novels by Werner Jansen published between 1916 and 1920. These were popular adventure stories in the form of versions of the Nibelungenlied and other sagas. Jansen had tried to transform these sagas into Teutonic-German myths, and infused them with racist and Teutonic cliches. The result was a kind of Karl May for Teutonic enthusiasts and, above all, young readers.
    The past nine months I've been studying mostly the history of the Third Reich, scholarly histories, biographies, memoirs, etc. A really fascinating, but horrifying and morbid subject.

Blog Entries

Finally digging into Buffalo for the Broken Heart, a Dan O'Brien memoir about his switch to ranching bison in the Black Hills. SUPER fascinating so far, so much familiarity about the country, since I've previously worked in some of the land described. In fact, it's likely that the bison skull I salvaged from a pasture out there was from an animal belonging to one of the people mentioned in the book.

It's making me nostalgic. I love the Black Hills and the grasslands.