Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: General thoughts on Anime series and movies

Default General thoughts on Anime series and movies

Hey I just read everyone post on the daily thought thread on what they all think about anime. So thanks to somnia who said that we can make out own thread on the topic of anime. I decided to make this thread. So what are your thoughts on anime shows like Attack on Titan, Space dandy, and others.? To me, I think a lot of anime has been going over to more what we say in the anime community as ( Fan service ) Of showing half naked female characters running around on TV. Take ghost in the shell, Black lagoon and even space dandy. I think that anime now a days is being shown as more of a fetish fan-boy service, Then as entertaining anime show. That is not to say that all anime is like that. Wolf's Rain isn't like that. Casher sin isn't like that, Blue gender isn't like that, Even though there are some adult scenes in it. Yet in the end, It all comes down to you and what you want to watch. I mean just look at what non-anime shows are on TV these days and you will see what I mean.
    Last edited by Somnia; August 14th, 2014 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Edited the thread title

Allow me to be the first person to say that I love Attack On Titan. Everyone has been getting annoyed lately with the direction it's been taking, but I think it's interesting. I like the series because of the underlying message that the world is a beautiful place and it is worth doing everything in your power to experience it. I also quite enjoy watching giant horrible monsters beating each other up, so there's that.

I don't watch enough anime to have any real opinions about current trends in the industry. If something doesn't look worthwhile, I don't watch it. There are a lot of upcoming shows that I'm excited for, though. Digimon Adventure is getting a new season next year, and there's also a new season of Mushishi that is being slowly released. I don't think there's any reason to be so pessimistic as to say that the industry as a whole is falling to shallow fanservice or boring cliches. Those things have always been around, and there is a market for them or else they would not continue to be produced, but there's new interesting stuff every year as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgirl44 View Post
    Allow me to be the first person to say that I love Attack On Titan. Everyone has been getting annoyed lately with the direction it's been taking, but I think it's interesting. I like the series because of the underlying message that the world is a beautiful place and it is worth doing everything in your power to experience it. I also quite enjoy watching giant horrible monsters beating each other up, so there's that.
    Right there with you on those things. Plus, the backgrounds and landscapes are amazing, and I am really fascinated with the moral vagueness that it shows (Armin's speech about how "good person" is a very subjective term was one of my favorite things). I tend to like fiction where there is some conflict between a government and a vigilante organization, and the things that were starting to get implied in the show (haven't read the manga yet) about the Walls and the government are really interesting to me because wow, sinister. And, you know, the monster thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfgirl44 View Post
    I don't watch enough anime to have any real opinions about current trends in the industry. If something doesn't look worthwhile, I don't watch it.
    I don't think there's any reason to be so pessimistic as to say that the industry as a whole is falling to shallow fanservice or boring cliches. Those things have always been around, and there is a market for them or else they would not continue to be produced, but there's new interesting stuff every year as well.
    Yeah, I feel the same way. I also am pretty happy to watch dark, violent anime full of political intrigue like Attack on Titan and Tokyo Ghoul just as much as cheesy, fluffy stuff like Free! and Nichijou. Just because I'm a more casual enjoyer of anime doesn't mean I don't look at any or all of what I watch with a critical eye, or that I don't apply what I know about the genre, narrative craft, or social concerns to them when I do have criticisms.

As far as concerns about fanservice go, I did really enjoy Kill La Kill even though it is full of fanservice. I understand the reasons people have to criticize that show, and for the most part I don't disagree with them. But still. For me, a widely varied cast of fleshed-out, larger-than-life, incredibly powerful female characters, the exploration of topics like shame, femininity, and confidence as power, and the fact that the characters were powerful in a visceral, bloody way rather than a mystical magical way, all were more important positive things about the show than the problems it does have. I'd rather take a show where multiple women characters are shown as people with agency and sometimes eye-candy, than a show where there's one woman character who's only eye-candy or motivation for a male protagonist.

I know a lot of people love Space Dandy but I actually kind of hate it. I know it's supposed to be a parody but I hate Dandy's character type enough that I can't even watch it to make fun of it. One of my roommates really likes it, but I can't stomach that type of protagonist at all so I get disgusted with the whole thing, even though some of the bizzaro humor is appealing to me in a Monty-Python-ish way.

I've been an anime fan for years and some of my most favorite animated movies that were not made by Disney were actually anime but at the time I didn't know the movies came from Japan. I grew up watching old anime movies like The Fantastic Adventures of Unico, Kimba the White Lion series, and Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland. I'm sure there are others I've seen but can't think of them at the moment.

I become a lot more interested in anime in 1995 after my family got cable TV and we had the SciFi channel which premiered their Saturday Anime block. The first anime I watched that was geared towards an older crowd was Roujin Z. I was blown away by the details of the animation and every Saturday I would record the movies on VHS. I remember learning how to program the VCR to automatically record whatever anime came on that day if I was away from home on vacation. There was no such thing as high speed internet for the common people so it was really special and something to look forward to once a week. Obviously technological advancements have made it to where you can get your anime fix anytime anywhere. It really blows my mind how much technology has changed. Even though there are shows you have to wait once a week to watch, you don't have to wait nearly as long for the show to come from Japan to America like it did 20+ years ago. Anime has most definitely exploded in popularity and the technology we have today allows people to watch it pretty much instantly. I later became even more of an avid fan of anime when we finally got the Cartoon Network and anime was aired on the original Toonami block, then years later Adult Swim.

Overall, I enjoy a wide variety of genres of anime. I like an anime movie or a series because I like it, not because it happens to be popular. I also dislike certain series and movies not because it's "cool" to hate on the shows, but because I honest to God do not like them! That's another thing that really drives me bananas are people who like or hate certain series because it's trendy to hate or like something. If I like it, I like it! If I hate it, I hate it! Simple as that people! I also can't stand snobby anime fans who act like they are better and 'know it all' and brag about obscure anime films/series and look down on people who's exposure to anime is mostly on TV or a show happens to be popular.

On Fan service - I don't particularly care for it and it's one of the reasons why I can't stand 'Highschool of the Dead'. The plot seems kind of interesting and I'd probably watch the series if it wasn't for the ridiculous large breasts and even more ridiculous scenes of boobs dodging bullets "Matrix style." I don't mind fan service if it's done in good taste, proportion sizes are realistic, and as long as it's not the core theme of the anime, but if it's over the top ridiculous I won't watch it. Fan service has been in anime for decades, but in the beginning only a few series had major fan service then it gradually became more and more prevalent in series with it popping up as a main focus of the animation style.

I been into anime and animated cartoons all my life too. From when I was a pup watching the old 1980s and 1990s cartoons like Captain Planet and Street sharks to Road Rover and Gargoyles and to Hanna Barbera cartoons. I always liked the stories they told and the drawings of the animated characters. When I got older I started watching anime shows on TV like on the Sci-fi channels anime block ( Like Somnia said ) here is a promo of sci-fi channels ani-Mondays http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHa3B1qy5lE Then when cartoon network came out with there Toonami on adult swim is when I started watching even more anime shows like Zoids, Which is the first Japanese anime show I watched. Then came the anime show called Trigun and another called Blue Gender and Gundam. To name a few. These shows where first aired back in the late 1999 and early 2000. This is when cartoon networks adult swim didn't suck and had on very good anime shows. For a few years afterwards on cartoon networks adult swim is when they cancelled toonami and replaced with shows like WWE Wrestling and crappy shows like Tim & Eric awesome show great Job. I hated both those shows and for a long time I didn't watch cartoon networks adult swim. I hope they never air those shows on adult swim again.
    Last edited by hotdogwolf; August 21st, 2014 at 10:27 PM.

I can't put anime in the same general category, so let's go with "Good" anime and "bad" anime.

These are subjective, highly personal views that are not an affront to others who enjoy all anime. I really don't mean to insult you.

"Good" anime has things I've actually watched because I couldn't fucking put it down. "Deathnote" is glaringly obvious, and the first introduction to manga I ever experienced. Other "good" anime to me is stuff like "Fullmetal Alchemist", "Trigun", Hayao's work, "Wolf's Rain", and of all the things in the world, "Madoka Magico". (There's also this manga I can't find anymore called Dorohedoro that I LOVED.)

These shows had unforgettable characters, twisty plotlines with blurred lines between good and bad, one or two "coming of age" ideas, and overt themes of violence and why violence is this double-edged, impersonal and brutal sword that can be good or bad, depending on the individual. They have GOOD, overt, symbolic themes and great metaphors.

I haven't seen a lot of "bad" anime and Manga, but examples would be "Black Butler", "Sgt. Frog", "Naruto", and "Ranma 1/2". These shows have few themes, and seem to be held together by a tiny plot that can be continued FOREVER because whatever. They have pretty interesting characters, yes, but that's basically it. When they attempt to tell a story, it's interspersed with "comic relief" to keep you interested (chibi people doing stuff. Weird noises. Strange costumes. Naked people for NO reason)

I don't hate "bad" anime, I just think they're not well done because they lack basic storytelling elements like pacing and... well, a reason to give a shit. It bores me and confuses me. I can watch it, I might even enjoy it here and there, but I can NEVER be immersed because of the weird, staccato dialogue and random imagery.
    "In war, fear is the woman your mother warned you about."
    - Hiroshi Sakurazaka, "All You Need is Kill"

I've watched anime since Sailor moon, but like most people. I didn't know it was Japanese. I just tended to lean more towards Anime in the long run. Especially after I learned what it was when, and how to find it, and when I first watched Naruto. (Which is most peoples gateway anime in my age group, Fairy tail for the next generation.) When I first started watching anime, I was indifferent to good or bad. Since I had such a limited amount to see on TV, and with on-demand. I had only about 10 or so series like Ghost in the shell, Bleach, Fooly-cooly, and Full metal alchemist to keep me company on top of Naruto. Then I read hoards of manga on top of that using the internet at school. I eventually developed a favored type of anime. It usually leaned more towards shonen type shows like Naruto and Bleach. Or anything that had a wide variety of feelings and morals. After I grew up a bit, and became more mature. I was confronted by a lot of criticism from my peers that did not like anime. They would point out flaws and immaturities in the show. Being the open minded person I was, I could see what they were talking about. I was no longer blinded by the ''otaku'' point of view. I suddenly began seeing anime objectively. I began to see flaws in the shows I liked. Although I didn't just quit anime. I still enjoyed a lot of of different anime. Even today, but I am a lot more critical. I won't say an anime is perfect, and will point out its flaws despite if I enjoy them or not.

Over time, I realized that most anime is terrible. You must search for the good ones. If I can ignore the flaws in an anime, and still enjoy it. It is ok, and I will recommend to a certain person type. If it has few to no flaws, I will recommend it, even to people who don't normally like anime. If it has too many flaws, then I will tell people its shit. Do not watch, and give them something better to watch that matches the same scenario.

I also am pretty sure the anime industry is dying in America. This means no more dubs. (not that they were that good anyways. They were few and far between). Which is ok with me, since my source of anime is outside of America to begin with. I get anime as they are released in Japan through various fan translations of the raw Japanese pages of manga. Fan subs of anime as well. (Which are usually better, and non ''Americanized'') If you question whether or not these things are legal. Its in a huge grey area, and usually fine. Since people are translating them for free. It's not stealing/pirating. It's more like letting someone watch your movie that you bought at your house. The manga an anime is still being sold in Japan. Whether or not Americans are watching it/buying it. it has little to no affect on the market in Japan.

TLDR: I am an anime critic.
    Last edited by ShadowItami; August 22nd, 2014 at 01:52 PM.

My personal taste in anime is a lot different then what Shadow put. I don't care if an anime show has flaws or if it sucks. I will watch it anyway because if what Shadow said is true about anime dying in America then I will take what anime I can get. I don't care if its got some what of a bad story or if there is to much fan-service Just so long that, That anime show is a full English dub. I hate watching anime shows that have sub titles or is in Japanese. If its not in English then I will not watch it, No matter how good it is. The anime show I am watching now is dub, The anime show is called Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince. You can find it on youtube.
    Last edited by hotdogwolf; August 22nd, 2014 at 09:20 PM.

I also prefer watching anime with English audio but there are some series I don't mind watching English subtitled because it was the only exposure to the anime I got. Good examples would be 'Chi's Sweet Home' and 'Chi's New Address', and 'Ginga Nagareboshi Gin' and it's sequel series 'Ginga Densetsu Weed' because the only way I watched those series were English subbed only. I really enjoy those series a lot and would watch them any time but I much prefer watching it English Dubbed so I don't have to read and can pay more attention to the animation.

*EDIT*

Speaking of awful English Dubs, I'm pretty excited about the upcoming release and re-dubbed version of Sailor Moon. Specifically the voice of Luna the cat. I'm SOOOOO glad the old nanny English voice is GONE and the kitty sounds more like a young person's voice instead of a English nanny type voice.
    Last edited by Somnia; August 22nd, 2014 at 10:11 PM.

Ok everyone. Looks like its going to be another new episode of Attack on titan. I wonder when the hell there going to show Eren what is in his family home basement. I really want to know if that has something to do with all the Titans or if it has to do with Eren himself.? I believe that Eren father figured out that some humans where in fact Titans and that he wanted to keep it a secret from everyone so not to panic the public or to make sure that some people like his family and son from being killed by the Government. What do you guys think.? I think I am right.
    Last edited by hotdogwolf; August 23rd, 2014 at 09:01 PM.