Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Have you had your "animal parts" removed?

I still have my wisdom teeth. A dentist took a look and said I should be okay to keep them as long as they don't give me problems like suddenly growing in crooked or impacted. I have had my tonsils out, though! I got them removed when I was 23 and they weren't joking about it being one of the most painful experiences one could have. I couldn't speak and couldn't eat. I would eat a couple bites of soft food every other day. Otherwise I was living off of popsicles and jello. It didn't help that the medication they gave me to kill the pain would make me nauseous if I was upright for too long after taking it. And still didn't help that it was a thick liquid that would trigger my gag reflex because it would leave thick residue in the back of my throat. Let me just say, it's definitely not cool to gag and dry heave [as I would only have the medicine in my stomach] when your throat is raw.

But honestly, it was all worth it as I've never had another issue with my throat since they were removed. My tonsils were two times the size of normal ones. I was literally able to close off my entire throat with them. They were also the source of rather large tonsil stones [... Don't look that up if you don't like gross stuff] and they were the cause of my pretty constant bouts of strep throat. I could barely swallow pills as they'd get hung up on my giant tonsils, same with food. I had the hardest time eating and it would take me twice as long as anyone else to finish a meal. If I rushed, I choked. They also caused problems during sleep. I was never diagnosed with sleep apnea but I'm pretty sure those suckers caused me to have it.

My mother tried for years to get my doctors to get them removed while I was a child. All of them refused. It took me having the worst sore throat of my life and a visit to the ER because of the sheer agony I was in [seriously, that sore throat trumped the pain I was in after the surgery, and any other pain I ever experienced. I could barely talk and I was crying as I pointed to the 9.5 on the pain chart in the triage]. Might I add, that this happened while I lived in MN, 1300 miles away from any of my moronic doctors? It's sad that the ER doctor had asked me about my strep throat bouts, and I explained how one year I got strep close to 5 times. He just looked at me and said "Oh my god, hunny if you had come in even twice in one year with strep I would have ordered those suckers out years ago." And my only response was to tear up and say "Where have you been all my life?"

Seriously, if body parts can suffer eternal damnation, I hope they're rotting in hell lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisota View Post
    Nothin' yet! I would really like my wisdom teeth out, though. They've all emerged, but the bottom ones don't really have enough space to come all the way in. I'm lucky to have not suffered painful impactions, but I can't help feeling that I'm holding ticking time bombs in my mouth.

Wish I had the money.
    At the same time that it's good to get those things out, wisdom tooth surgery is LITERALLY THE WORST THING ON THE PLANET. I had three removed last January, and I hated every. single. second of my week-long recovery. No chewing, so you can consume nothing but smoothies which are totally awful after the first day or so (I WANT MEAT PLEASE GOD); nausea and vomiting from swallowing blood/the profuse amounts of disgusting smoothie in your stomach/the pain medications; constant soreness that makes it impossible to sleep, but when you do, you get bizarre, hallucinatory dreams from the pain medications, and don't sleep well; constipation, if they've put you on an opiate, so anything you manage not to throw up still makes your stomach hurt really bad; inability to talk comfortably. So, in all, when recovering from the surgery, you 1) can't eat 2) can't sleep 3) can't poop 4)can't socialize, and so you're basically stuck playing handheld video games or watching TV with intense nausea and vertigo for nearly a week with barely any food in your stomach.

Worst. Week. Ever.

Then again, I'm a total wimp when it comes to being debilitated and/or in pain, so perhaps you'd fare better. And if they need to come out, they need to come out... but if they don't, then it's an experience you will want to avoid altogether.
    Last edited by eureka; December 30th, 2014 at 09:40 PM.

Blog Entries

I never had my wisdom teeth removed. They grew wrong and began eroding my [upper] molars some years ago, eventually turning them into jagged ruins. I never go to dentists (the story of why is something for another day) so I just let the molars collapse and the nerves/insides/whatever die. The right one died over a year ago...or rather, some meaty thingy dropped out of it and every time I fiddled with it with my tongue it'd freak out and do shooting pains so one day I took tweezers to it and plucked the fucker right off. It hurt for all of a splitsecond and then...all was silence, the likes of which I'd never felt. And ever since then the tooth (or what's left of it) has been completely pacified and hasn't been giving me any trouble. That was around the time the second (left) one began eroding. It's now in that phase of having its pulp exposed but the thingy hasn't dropped out yet. No pain, just mildly annoying when stuff gets into it and agitates the [I think?] nerve. It's only a matter of time now, though.
    A negative number was raised to a power that is not an integer.

Ooooof. That makes my teeth hurt just thinking about it...

Blog Entries

I'm thirty and still have all my original parts that I was born with. I've never had any kind of surgery, but despite that fact I only have two of my wisdom teeth, one on the top right and one on the bottom left. The other two just never came in.

My top right wisdom tooth has a jagged edge that's sharp and scrapes against the inside of my mouth. I'm not sure how it got that way. It feels like it's badly broken, but from what I saw it's more like it just started crumbling in little pieces that broke off little by little over time.

In order to keep my wisdom tooth from cutting open the inside of my mouth I sometimes tear a strip off a cotton ball and stuff it in between my tooth and the inside of my mouth. If I don't the inside of my mouth gets rubbed raw and becomes so sore and inflamed that it's hard to open my mouth to eat. As long as I remember to put the cotton in there when I start feeling my mouth get sore I'm fine.
    Last edited by Hazel Moon; August 20th, 2020 at 02:38 AM.
    We share our physical lives with those in spirit. For life, like love, never dies.
    Love knows no limits, not even death.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by R Swan View Post
    I never had my wisdom teeth removed. They grew wrong and began eroding my [upper] molars some years ago, eventually turning them into jagged ruins. I never go to dentists (the story of why is something for another day) so I just let the molars collapse and the nerves/insides/whatever die. The right one died over a year ago...or rather, some meaty thingy dropped out of it and every time I fiddled with it with my tongue it'd freak out and do shooting pains so one day I took tweezers to it and plucked the fucker right off. It hurt for all of a splitsecond and then...all was silence, the likes of which I'd never felt. And ever since then the tooth (or what's left of it) has been completely pacified and hasn't been giving me any trouble. That was around the time the second (left) one began eroding. It's now in that phase of having its pulp exposed but the thingy hasn't dropped out yet. No pain, just mildly annoying when stuff gets into it and agitates the [I think?] nerve. It's only a matter of time now, though.
    I really couldn't read this without thinking of this.

*shudders*

I broke a front tooth one time (during a parade when I was in marching band; just spit out the pieces and kept going. What else are you going to do?) but I've never had a cavity or really any other tooth problems.

My top wisdom teeth are fully emerged and apparently wouldn't be all that hard to get out. The bottom ones would require some cutting.

I saw a dentist last week and they were really impressed with how nice my teeth looked, especially after neglecting appointments for a couple years. The oral surgeon here only sedates you partially to make you calm and make you forget everything, then uses local anesthetic. But I was advised to have the wisdom teeth out. Anyone want to lend me 24 hundred dollars?

I had my wisdom teeth extracted. I had an appendicitis scare in 2014, but that was the result of a stomach bug and a really bad urgent care doctor.

I'm in desperate need of wisdom tooth extraction, and will probably have it done within a month.

I'm terrified. I've never had anything like this done.

But I think I'm more terrified of the pain I've been in for the last 2 months. I've got a pretty high tolerance for pain, and this has had me wake up nearly screaming.

Other than that I've still got everything. Though I get the feeling that won't last long. Much like a car, the older I get the more I find my parts need servicing.

Blog Entries

I'll probably end up having to get my appendix out one of these days. I've had chronic appendicitis symptoms that have been recurring on and off for years.

Last year was the worst. I was in pain for about two months. It hurt so bad I had to move in slow motion, holding my stomach and being careful not to move to quickly or make any sudden movements. It hurt to laugh, cough or move. When I lay down I usually sleep on my stomach. So I had to cushion my stomach with a pillow so it wouldn't hurt as bad.

It's getting to where putting a bag of ice on my stomach to numb the area and dull the pain isn't giving me the relief it used to.

What I can't figure out is why doctors think a better way of dealing with appendicitis is to give the patient antibiotics and watch it to see if it gets worse. Not that I mind or anything. I'm terrified of having surgery so I just go along with it. They say that's usually what the standard treatment is for chronic cases that aren't as severe as acute attacks.

I haven't had any flare ups since last year so I'm okay for now. Not looking forward to the next time, though. However I guess I'm sort of used to it since it's been an ongoing thing for so long. Still, it's not at all pleasant. Just another fact of life I've learned to deal with and accept.
    Last edited by Hazel Moon; April 14th, 2015 at 07:35 PM.
    We share our physical lives with those in spirit. For life, like love, never dies.
    Love knows no limits, not even death.

Blog Entries

I still have my wisdom teeth, they started growing when I was about 16 or so and they became quite painful and infected once when they were half way through. But then they settled down and I barely notice them now.