Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Have you had your "animal parts" removed?

Just a fact before I start;
    humans are the only known animal to have appendixes, and scientists are still figuring out why we have them.

I had mine (appendix) removed at seven... I can remember every second of it... Mine burst, and if I had not got to the hospital when I did I could have been is serious trouble.

I'm going to make y'all jealous.

No surgeries, and I have no wisdom teeth. Not removed, don't exist, because they never existed in me.

I'm thinking I may eventually need some teeth pulled, or something. I wouldn't mind getting new, slightly more canine-like, though. That would be kinda fun, but, terrible for accidentally biting a tongue. Like, mine.... Nothing done yet, but, you never know, into the future.

I still have my wisdom teeth, one has pushed itself beside my other teeth, but its never hurt and never been a problem. Lucky me I guess.

Blog Entries

Returning to this topic several years later. I'm surprised. I thought my original post was made a few years before 2014.

As of right now I have what can only be described as the remnants of two wisdom teeth. A lot of time has passed, and the one on the upper right side has completely crumbled over time. Now there's just a tiny little stump left. But the good news is that it doesn't rub against the inside of my mouth anymore.

The wisdom tooth on the bottom left side is nothing but roots, which is mostly hollow when seen on an x-ray. About a year ago the entire crown broke off in three big pieces, which was completely hollow. Didn't hurt at all when it broke, but it got horribly infected a few months later.

My dentist told me to have them taken out. But once the infection cleared up, my doctor told me they don't need to come out because they aren't hurting and infected anymore. So I'm just going to leave them alone.

Maybe in a couple years I'll check back in and we'll see what's going on in the future. Oh, and I also found out that I have a third wisdom tooth on the upper left side that never came in. It's never caused any pain or discomfort, and according to the dentist I saw, we can leave it alone and it'll be fine. So that's what I'm doing. I'm just going to leave them right where they are.
    Last edited by Hazel Moon; August 2nd, 2021 at 04:11 AM.
    We share our physical lives with those in spirit. For life, like love, never dies.
    Love knows no limits, not even death.

I have never had any form of surgery. So everything's intact. Two wisdom teeth grew in...almost fully. I think I still need minor fixes especially to the gums in that area, but I might be able to keep the teeth.

Blog Entries

Whoa. Good thread resurrection, guys! This was a blast from the past.

In my last post, I was musing about my two wisdom teeth being in and talking about a dentist who wanted to twilight sedate me and take them all out.

Here’s how that all turned out:

I didn’t go for it for another year, and when I did, changed my insurance situation dramatically so I could actually afford it. Then I saw a different dentist, who was former military and used to do TONS of wisdom tooth removals for young recruits! He didn’t do the removals anymore himself, so I got a referral to an oral surgeon (seriously the way to go if you can). He was someone who went to different clinics on different days.

So the Saturday I went, it was almost like a cattle chute or a factory line of poor young adults all waiting to get our choppers popped out.

I opted out of sedation. Sedation creeps me out. I did try a little nitrous oxide, which was interesting but had mostly worn off by the time the surgeon came in. Just taking a bunch of lidocaine shots in the face and soft palate was pretty brutal. But anyway, the surgeon was in the room for about 11 minutes. My bottom wisdom teeth were soft-tissue impacted, so they had to do a little slicing to get them out, but basically they just very quickly popped my teeth out and moved on to the next lucky victim.

I got them back in a little autoclave bag.

So I still have my wisdom teeth… they’re just not in my face anymore.

My sister had her appendix out when we were in the fifth grade. They warned us that the “other twin” (me) should be monitored carefully. I don’t know why. We’re not identical. I’ve never had any issues.

I’ve never had any other real surgeries unless you count the minor procedure last year which was similar in that I opted out of sedation, had some time of being sore after, but overall was fine.

My loved ones have a running sort-of joke that I will probably be missing digits if not limbs by the time I’m old. I’m terribly accident-prone and very scarred on the face and hands already.

But anyway, I’m so happy looking back at this thread, because remembering the nervousness around my wisdom teeth makes me so grateful for where I am now. I knew those were going to have to go. And they messed up the alignment of the rest of my teeth while they were at it. But getting them out meant I was finally able to FIX that alignment.

Blog Entries

Maybe it sounds strange, but I don't want to have my wisdom teeth removed. Not even with the shape they're in.

I have the absolute worst phobia of needles, hospitals, doctors and dentists you could ever imagine. So much so that when my wisdom teeth got infected and they told me to have them out, they referred me to an oral surgeon who does general anesthesia because I was panicking so badly.

So I saw the oral surgeon, and he told me that he only does general anesthesia with an IV. I completely lost it at that point, started screaming, crying hysterically, then I seized up and couldn't breathe. And the whole time the assistant was telling me to take deep breaths to calm down. So my body did the opposite. I seized up, paralyzed with fright and couldn't breathe, then I finally took one big breath and started wailing, sobbing and shaking all over.

They said they could give me a pill the night before the procedure to sedate me, and then again the morning of the procedure, but after my grand performance they told me their strongest sedatives wouldn't be enough to calm me down. They eventually threw me out and recommend that I go for inhaled general anesthesia in a hospital setting.

I can't do that either. I know my anxiety and panic attacks are so horrible that there's no way I could even walk into the building. I have panic attacks and start throwing up just from trying to call and set up an appointment with the dentist. I even started crying while I was on the phone with the receptionist, so I know this isn't going to work.

It doesn't help that both of my wisdom teeth will need to surgically removed if I have them out, and that people in my family have a history of problems with anesthesia. We also have a history of sensitivities to medication. Even now I can only take children's doses of my allergy medication, which is for children because I can't take the adult kind. I can't take pain meds either because the side effects cause problems with my heart and breathing, so I really don't think I could survive having my wisdom teeth out.

It's okay though, because I never wanted to have them out anyway. I only went so I could get antibiotics for the infection, I don't know why I ever tried to go further than that. It really isn't the sort of thing I can do, it isn't something that I want to do either. So I'm leaving it as is and taking natural remedies for any pain or infection I have in the future.
    Last edited by Hazel Moon; August 2nd, 2021 at 02:30 PM.
    We share our physical lives with those in spirit. For life, like love, never dies.
    Love knows no limits, not even death.

Blog Entries

I got my wisdom teeth removed, which makes me sad but it had to be done.

Blog Entries

This makes me wonder what the factors are in making someone keeping their wisdom teeth unproblematic. I'd heard that how rough your diet is plays a factor.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Blog Entries

I think a lot of it is genetic - that is, whether you even have all of them to begin with, and then the nature of how they actually come in and whether you have room for them.

Sometimes they grow at such horrific angles there’s really no living with them. Or, as in my case, they come in fine but the fit is tight, so they end up impacted in soft tissue. I couldn’t really brush my bottom ones properly because they didn’t have room to get fully clear of the gum. They always had a little loose bit of gum coverage at the edges and it was aggravating to keep clean.

I think my partner had one that grew in without properly developed enamel and needed an immediate filling.