Thread: How would you respond to these moral dilemmas?

Blog Entries

Default How would you respond to these moral dilemmas?

1) Your mother, child, and spouse are dying. You can only save one. Who would you save, and why?

2) A runaway train is about to crash and kill five people on the tracks. You are outside of the train. A big man who you've never met is standing next to you. If you push him onto the tracks, the five people will be saved. If you don't, the five people will die. What do you do? Assume that these are your only options.

3) You are an eyewitness to a crime: A man has robbed a bank, but instead of keeping the money for himself, he donates it to a poor orphanage that can now afford to feed, clothe, and care for its children. You know who committed the crime. If you go to the authorities with the information, there’s a good chance the money will be returned to the bank, leaving a lot of kids in need. What do you do?

4) You are an EMT on the scene of a car crash that involves your spouse and the lover you didn’t know s/he had. They are both gravely injured, your spouse’s injuries the worst of them. You can tell it’s unlikely s/he will pull through. Meanwhile, his/her lover has a neck wound that will prove fatal if pressure isn’t applied soon. Whom do you choose to work on?

5) You are a doctor at a top hospital. You have six gravely ill patients, five of whom are in urgent need of organ transplants. You can’t help them, though, because there are no available organs that can be used to save their lives. The sixth patient, however, will die without a particular medicine. If s/he dies, you will be able to save the other five patients by using the organs of patient 6, who is an organ donor. What do you do?

6) There is a train that, much to your horror, is about to run over your own son, who has been tied to its track. It just so happens that you have only enough time to pull a lever which will send the train down an alternate track saving your son. However, you see that, tied to the other track, is your best friend, who recently saved your life and you have yet to repay him for doing so. What would you do?

7) Either your best friend will die, or 1000 strangers will die. Your choice. Only you will ever know about your decision. Which do you choose?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Jones View Post
    1) Your mother, child, and spouse are dying. You can only save one. Who would you save, and why?
    Child. If I was stupid enough to put a child in this world, the least I can do is make sure it lasts. Elementary way of nature.

2) A runaway train is about to crash and kill five people on the tracks. You are outside of the train. A big man who you've never met is standing next to you. If you push him onto the tracks, the five people will be saved. If you don't, the five people will die. What do you do? Assume that these are your only options.
    I don't do anything. It's not my position to judge who is more worthy of living.

3) You are an eyewitness to a crime: A man has robbed a bank, but instead of keeping the money for himself, he donates it to a poor orphanage that can now afford to feed, clothe, and care for its children. You know who committed the crime. If you go to the authorities with the information, there’s a good chance the money will be returned to the bank, leaving a lot of kids in need. What do you do?
    I don't do anything. Banks are greedy shits anyway.

4) You are an EMT on the scene of a car crash that involves your spouse and the lover you didn’t know s/he had. They are both gravely injured, your spouse’s injuries the worst of them. You can tell it’s unlikely s/he will pull through. Meanwhile, his/her lover has a neck wound that will prove fatal if pressure isn’t applied soon. Whom do you choose to work on?
    The lover. The schmuck-ass spouse cheated and is gonna die anyway. Might as well save the one who CAN be saved, seeing how it's my job as an EMT.

5) You are a doctor at a top hospital. You have six gravely ill patients, five of whom are in urgent need of organ transplants. You can’t help them, though, because there are no available organs that can be used to save their lives. The sixth patient, however, will die without a particular medicine. If s/he dies, you will be able to save the other five patients by using the organs of patient 6, who is an organ donor. What do you do?
    Just get the medicine for patient no. 6. Regardless of moral quandaries, not getting the medicine would mean grossly negligent homicide. I can't judge who's worthy of living and dying, but at least I can follow the law.

6) There is a train that, much to your horror, is about to run over your own son, who has been tied to its track. It just so happens that you have only enough time to pull a lever which will send the train down an alternate track saving your son. However, you see that, tied to the other track, is your best friend, who recently saved your life and you have yet to repay him for doing so. What would you do?
    Sorry, best friend. If he's truly as "best" as "best" implies, he'd understand that a child is kind of a big deal.

7) Either your best friend will die, or 1000 strangers will die. Your choice. Only you will ever know about your decision. Which do you choose?
    Let the strangers die. I only care about my best friend over a bunch of strangers.
    A negative number was raised to a power that is not an integer.

1) The child. Unknown potential.

2) I watch, and let karma make it's way.

3) I keep my knowledge to myself.

4) Professional duty is the key. Fortunately I lack the jealousy gene. Mind you, he's got some splainin' to do.

5) As above. To do otherwise is murder, however good the cause. Never play God, you're merely human.

6) As No.1. Save the child.

7) Save my friend. Find and kill the being that set this sick situation up afterward.

Barth

PS I note that R Swan and I had identical answers. Interesting.
    Last edited by Bartholomew; March 29th, 2015 at 06:58 PM. Reason: PS

Assuming I actually ever had a child, I'd save them. But since I haven't and really have no idea whether I want to bring a child into this world, my spouse [since I wouldn't have a child to begin with]. If it was a certain situation like a fire, I'd save the person closest to being saved.

Nothing other than trying to find another option. Considering there's no such thing as "these are your only options" in life, I can't assume that those are my only two options. But for the sake of this... Nothing because if a big man is standing next to me, he's too big for me to even try pushing. Not to mention if all it took for a train to stop was a big man laying on the tracks, I'd get said big man to help move a larger object on the track. But who's to say that there aren't people on the train who would be injured or killed in the process? So probably still nothing.

I wouldn't say anything. The money is insured, people will still get their funds [eventually]. It's not a harmless/victimless crime by any means, but if the guy truly used the money on those who truly needed it, then it cancels out in my book. Now if they guy murdered for it that'd be a different story.

I may be messing up the idea/concept, but in the medical world, steps are taken from having to work on those you have a personal involvement with [such as family, and other loved ones] because it makes you biased as well as blind. But assuming there was no other EMT on [for whatever reason] or no other close by.. I'd treat the one who would have a greater chance of surviving. But the snippet is unclear as to whether or not the spouse is unlikely to pull through as is, or unlikely to pull through even if medical attention is applied. But I'm sure it means the second one.

Simple, ask the sixth patient whether they want to take the medication or not. If they want to take the medication, great. If not, great. But it also depends on what they're dying of as well... Many diseases and illnesses and/or medications will nullify your ability to donate certain organs. If there's even a hint of cancer or a infectious disease then why lose them all when I could still save one?

[Remind me never to live near trains, ever, better yet, don't go around train tracks ever again. Seems like whenever I go near them someone ends up tied to them in these scenarios lol].

Who said I'd complete the track linkage and thus allow the train to barrel down either track? Derailments happen... Wipe down the lever, rescue both child and friend and fly away like superman gone bad.

Call me terrible, but my best friend takes the cake over complete and utter strangers. Strangers who might have wronged me, who might have wronged my friends, family. Strangers who would not have given me the time of day otherwise. Yeah, friend over strangers.

Spouse (if I had one, but this is hypothetical so whatever) because children are terrible and so is my mother.

Let the five people die.

Hmm. I'd let him get away with it.

Save my spouse. I'd be able to forgive their offense.

Well, I'd rather help patient six.

I'd save my best friend, duh.

I'd rather let the 1,000 strangers die. No one is more important than my best friend.

Blog Entries

My mother. I don't have a child or spouse. If the situation did apply, the child--their remaining lifespan is most likely going to be the longest.

Push him.

I refuse to go to the police. Moreover, if they did question me, I would attempt to either refuse to answer their questions or evade them.

Triage is triage. My spouse probably won't live, their lover will. Worth asking is how I know that they were having an affair (were they having sex when the car crashed), as well as if I really minded that much.

There's a third option you're overlooking. Four, actually. You're assuming that patient six won't sacrifice willingly give up the medicine to save the other five, which isn't necessarily the case.

Moreover, I might be able to use some of my organs, possibly even without killing myself. But I'm not sure a case like this could actually happen--you'd need six different transplantable organs (ruling out the brain, central nervous system, and similar systems which simply can't be moved), which couldn't be harvested from someone alive (ruling out the kidney, which are redundant, and the liver, which can regrow from a relatively small section), can't be duplicated with technology (ruling out the heart, the lung, and probably some other stuff as well), and are necessary for life (ruling out things like the eye, the ear, and limbs).

I'd save my son. See the response to the first question.

I'd honestly rather one person died than a thousand others--no matter how close that single person is to me.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Blog Entries

Probably my spouse. I can do without my mother (who taught me to not have empathy for people by not showing any toward me as I grew up) and I really don't care much for children. So yes, I am going to save my spouse.

I would push him onto the tracks, obviously. Unless they happen to be five children then I would just let them die.

Obviously report it because while he was nice in donating to the orphanage, that was other peoples money that he gave, not his.

Leave them to their death, nobody cheats on me. :P

It depends on the age of the five patients and whether or not I care to save them. I would just let them die otherwise.

Hmmmm, reminds me of this game I played. I would save my best friend, obviously. I mean sure I'll miss my son but ehhh, can't save them all.

1000 strangers can die mainly because I don't care much for them. I mean, that's how the world works, right? It doesn't play favorites?

Yeah, I know I am a cold-hearted bitch but these are my choices.

Spouse. Can always have another kid! In all seriousness, don't want or need children, so this is an odd spot for me. I already don't have empathy for my nonexistent children.

Do nothing.

Do nothing. Banks are insured for a reason, and it's not like he's actually stealing from anyone at that point.

Spouse. Don't know the other person, not my problem. Guess it depends on how obviously dead the spouse is. Like, torn-in-half-guts-hanging-out? Then I'd probably help the lover.

Save 5, kill the 6th. At this point it's arithmetic. My inaction isn't technically killing them, they were already dying.

Best friend. Goodbye nonexistent, undesired child.

Best friend lives, strangers die. I'm selfish.
    Answers in bold.
    Last edited by Vikaryous; March 30th, 2015 at 09:36 PM.
    The universe is hostile, so impersonal...
    Devour to survive.
    So it is, so it's always been.