Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you want your funeral, wake, and burial?

Really big fan of cremation, not so much being incinerated in a glorified oven though. Just stack up some logs, throw me on top, and light the thing.
    The universe is hostile, so impersonal...
    Devour to survive.
    So it is, so it's always been.

Blog Entries

Funerals are about ceremony and sentimentality and I've no great interest in how that happens when it's my turn. If someone I leave behind wants things to go a certain way then well, whatever makes them happy.

Personally though? I would be unsettled at the thought of ending up with a church funeral and even worse, a burial. I'd love to be cremated, and then have my friends and loved ones completely forget about any nonsense ritual and move straight to just casually recounting memories together. I love the idea of friends and family sitting around a bonfire somewhere, recounting ridiculous stories of the ways I had an impact on their lives. OR they could take a group hike up the nearest tall mountain to sit gazing at the view and pensively munching dubia roaches, in my honor. Whatever works.

I agree with Vikaryous, natural cremation is best. Not usually allowed, though.
    No embalming, please, Goddess, please.

Nobody want's an unnatural burial here. No surprise, that.

Barth
    [FONT=COMIC SANS MS][SIZE=2]"People who deny the existence of dragons are often eaten by dragons. From within."
    Ursula K. Le Guin
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

Blog Entries

I like the thought of being bones in the dirt. That's the way to go for me. Just stick me in the ground and be done with it. But no cremation. That just seems unnatural to me. I'd rather be left to decompose in the soil naturally like other things in nature do after they die.

Blog Entries

Burial? Screw burial. Just leave the stupid corpse lying around somewhere; no-one needs it anyway. All this funeral stuff and rituals, I think, is pretty perverse.

...or rather, I have some really top-notch organs, so I guess you can take those, and then dump the rest somewhere. No-one can say no to SOVIET QUALITY ORGANS, tried and true in the field.
    A negative number was raised to a power that is not an integer.

Blog Entries

I also would like my remains to be eaten by starving animals, if only to give them another day to live if it was legal. I wish it was but people are funny about feeding dead people to animals because apparently we are so tasty! Yeah right.

If I do get buried, I want to be buried in an unmarked grave with nobody to grieve over my death. I hate people grieving over the fact that I died, I'd rather they be happy. Maybe that's why I am such a jerk in this life, it's to make people not miss me when I go. I don't believe in people feeling sad over me, nor do I really want it. I want them to be happy and me to never have existed to begin with.

This is kind of a tough one because what I want and what may actually happen are two different things:

Best Scenario? I have a fatal stroke while visiting the Arctic Reserve alone and feed a polar bear or some arctic wolves (although with my luck it would be a wolverine..... )

Next best? Full on Viking funeral pyre, disposing of my body on a burning boat at sea. There is something really cool to that for me for some reason.

3rd choice. Cremation after harvesting as much from me as possible (my apologies to whoever gets my liver....!) and scatter me on the family farm, on the open tundra, a beach on the pacific ocean, a high volcano (active or not) or anywhere else deemed worthy and cool and a place I enjoy or would have enjoyed.

Likely scenario: Will end up in the family cemetery, hopefully at least crispy fried and not embalmed. Granted it is a beautiful place on a hill overlooking the valley where I grew up and 5 generations are already there......

But to me it is the least cool of the possibilities

As for the actual funeral, there better be some good beer and some fun stories, the further out in nature the better!
    Last edited by Amarok; April 11th, 2015 at 08:17 PM.

Blog Entries

Though death is not a favorite topic of mine... I DID try to imagine the perfect scenario and have since had the daydream of it several times...

Knowing that I'm about to die, and simply going off alone, finding some verdant, green, peaceful place in the sun, and laying down to die.

The ideal scenario is to then NOT be found. Of course I'd like for people to know what I was doing so they don't have to suffer the not knowing and not being able to grieve properly.

I know this is just a romanticized idea of what death could be like. Even if I managed to accomplish sneaking off to kick the bucket, I'm sure I would also likely succeed in scaring the shit of a lifetime out of some poor sap unfortunate enough to stumble across me.

As for what happens after that? No preference, because I won't be around to have a preference. I'd rather folks have a nice party in my honor and swap stories about all the wacky shit I did in my life than have some morose, formal occasion. And no dress code, fuck dress codes!

More realistically than the going-off-to-die-and-being-left-in-nature thing... I suppose I'd say to take what organs/tissue you can to help others live and either cremate me or do some other form of green burial.

I am really liking the idea of the cemeteries where the bodies are buried with/underneath trees and so you end up with a lovely forest, each tree both dedicated to and literally using the constituents of someone's body.

Beats the hell out of an energy-wasting lawn covered in creepy-ass stones, anyway. Cemeteries are spoopy, formalities suck, embalming is gross. If you're going to pretend my body is alive, at least string it up and go full Weekend at Bernie's, alright?
    Last edited by Kisota; April 11th, 2015 at 10:36 PM.

Ok so I kind of figured out what kind of funeral I want to have. I would want to have 2 different kinds of wakes. One for my human family and the other one in private with my fellow therian family. I think I would just like to have a normal funeral. Nothing to flashy because most likely it would be very expensive. Seeing how much a normal funeral would cost. But I would like to have these songs played at my funeral. One is a Mandalorian Funeral Chant- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrI21TOT884 and the other one would be a Celtic Music- part of the pack. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGNlAIEbtGw and this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnlPeEVBR6w
    Last edited by hotdogwolf; April 11th, 2015 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisota View Post
    I am really liking the idea of the cemeteries where the bodies are buried with/underneath trees and so you end up with a lovely forest, each tree both dedicated to and literally using the constituents of someone's body.

Beats the hell out of an energy-wasting lawn covered in creepy-ass stones, anyway.
    Same here. Knowing my luck with plants, though, my tree would probably die and/or spontaneously catch fire. But I guess I'd be gone so it wouldn't really be my problem anymore, right? XP If the forest-cemetery idea fails to catch on, add my name to the cremation list.

Like others have said, I'd rather not wind up with a bunch of weepy, formally-clad folks huddled awkwardly in the pews of some church for a funeral. Go sit around a campfire, have some drinks, do some reminiscing, and play some Cards Against Humanity or something; once I'm gone someone else will finally have a shot at winning.
    "Jump, and you will find out how to unfold your wings as you fall."
    -Ray Bradbury