Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thunderpaw

Default Thunderpaw

I started following this webcomic, Thunderpaw recently.
    Anyone else seen this yet?

I was drawn to it because I saw images from it circulating on Tumblr, and got curious because of the art style and the characterization of the animals.

There's still only so much of it out, but from what I've seen of it so far, I love it. There's a really interesting blend of anthropomorphism and acknowledgement of an animals' nature: the dog characters are addressed as tame in a very interesting way, and the way the wild animals (so far we've met some deer) discuss their experiences of survival really got my attention.

I'm really curious to see where this goes, and if anyone else is interested in a comic about anthropomorphic animals surviving in an apparently post-apocalyptic setting, presented in a visually fresh and creative way, I'd highly recommend it!

There is quite a bit of flashing/animation, which might be a problem for some folks, so fair warning there.

Wow! Impressive and very creative! I wish more of it were done, but alas.
    Time you enjoy wasting isn't always wasted time. ~ phrase from Salt Lake City, Utah

Blog Entries

Amazing find! I love it so far, the art of it and the dog-ness of the dogs! Definitely sharing this.

I like.

Barth
    [FONT=COMIC SANS MS][SIZE=2]"People who deny the existence of dragons are often eaten by dragons. From within."
    Ursula K. Le Guin
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

Blog Entries

It has a Plague Dogs vibe about it, love it!

Blog Entries

Interesting. The art style isn't my favorite--it's too... abstract, I guess? Cartoony? Disjointed? Makes it harder to follow what's happening.

The story itself is something I'm curious to know more about, but I wasn't able to get past the second chapter.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Blog Entries

Oooh, I think I've seen this person's art around before.

The art is not USUALLY what I would like, I think, but I think it's just perfectly done. Ever since I read the Scott Pilgrim graphic novels I've had more appreciation for what used to look like silly cartoony stuff to me.

I'm super excited to read this. Need to get my stuff done. This isn't the only cool webcomic that's been shared here that I need to catch up on.

THANK YOU for sharing. I'm excited as hell for this.
    And it reminds me of something I should share...

Blog Entries

Ehh, it's okay, not really the best in my opinion but I guess it's kinda meh at the same time.

Following up that I read another comic by the same artist/author, Vacancy, which I got for my birthday. It's about an abandoned dog teaming up with a deer and raccoon scavenging in the suburbs, so, similar themes. It's very short and feels simpler than Thunderpaw, but it's still got a lot of the same themes of what it means to be wild, tame, feral, and of domestic and wild animals interacting with a human environment, without humans in it. There's also more of the interesting mix of anthropomorphism and not. Visually it's lovely too - the color schemes look amazing in print, and the characters have a lot of charm.

Blog Entries

That was pretty epic. I swallowed it. I like it a lot. Had to get used to the art style at first (I despise this modern age Cartoon Networky kind of style) but I might just look into Vacancy because I dig shit like this, like where there's this sort of deep-running melancholy that's buried in whimsy, a bit à la Tove Jansson. Great stuff, yourdeer!
    A negative number was raised to a power that is not an integer.