Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeking help for survey question...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CriesontheWind View Post
    I'd be curious to see how many therians consider themselves animal- (or other-) hearted as well. I know it's not always been a widely used term but it's something that might be interesting to see.

Daemon forms vs theriotypes, if anyone is also a daemian, would be interesting to see, too, but not really necessary. ^^;; I don't even know how many people are even still daemians anymore, especially on this forum. I just had the thought since I mentioned animal-hearted folks.
    I'm curious what you mean by animal-hearted. I've never heard the term before.

And Daemon? Is that in reference to Golden Compass?

Forever Running, RunningRed

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RunningRed View Post
    I'm curious what you mean by animal-hearted. I've never heard the term before.

And Daemon? Is that in reference to Golden Compass?
    Animal-hearted means someone who identifies with (not as) a certain animal or have a very strong connection with a certain animal. When used to describe oneself the word “animal” is replaced by the specific animal in question. For example, if someone very strongly identifies with horses they could be called “horse-hearted.” The term and its definition originates from the daemian community which they created in the late 2000s to refer to people who experienced things like shifts but only "really identified with" an animal. By 2010, the term began to spread to the otherkin communities with the help from therians who were also members of the daemon community at the time.

A daemon (used in the context above) refers to a mental construct created or formed as part of a something called daemonism. Daemonism is a kind of personality typing system developed during the early 2000s based on Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials series and uses animal behavior analyzed as an analogy for human personality. The animal that fits their personality is their “settled form.” The second half of daemonism involves creating a mental construct to be one’s daemon and act as their daemon. They are created/formed by the person and given a name, gender, and such as they see fit and what they are comfortable with.

- Z (male, snowy owl)

Blog Entries

Ah. Interesting. Thank you for the clarification. While I am not likely to use the terms myself, there are some animals I feel an affinity for, that I do not consider part of my specific identity. Such as coyote. I think many of my friends would agree I have trickster-like tendencies.

Forever Running, RunningRed