Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking help for survey question...

Blog Entries

Default Seeking help for survey question...

Alright, it seems as if I'm going back into a rare period of productivity as I have grown bored with most of the computer games I have been playing of late and Fallout 4 doesn't come out until November. A couple of years ago I developed the backend code for a survey website to collect data from as many therians willing to give it, it had been my plan to *cough cough* answer a need that Werelist used to fill but deviated from towards community engagement Anyways, where I stopped was actually developing a list of questions for the site, information such as:

Given Gender
    etc., etc., etc.

Given the active involvement of this community it seems like a good idea to go here for a take on what data should be included. I want people to think out of the box, one of my main curiosities throughout life has been why we are, what we share in common, so I'm looking to accumulate as much data as possible. Anyone who wants to take a quick look at the site design can find it at http://www.theriansurvey.org/ Feel free to register, assuming my host hasn't screwed my settings up it should work fine, just keep in mind that in the end I will likely wipe the database before going live. If anyone prefers to submit questions privately feel free to PM me or my email addy is uath@therianthropy.org

This seemed like a good place to go with this request but if it is out of the scope of the Barn Raising, I'm sure someone will delete the thread and my apologies in advance.
    Last edited by Uriel; August 22nd, 2015 at 01:04 PM.

That sounds like an interesting project. Here are some questions that would be worth asking in my opinion. I'm pretty new to therianthropy and the therian community so these things are just some random ideas which instantly came to my mind.

1.) Cases of trauma or abuse during childhood or teenage years:
    I've got the impression that the rate of such incidents is higher in our community than in general society. It would be interesting to see if they differ significantly.

2.) Diagnosed mental illnesses, especially depression, ADHD, autism, Asperger's:
    The same stuff I wrote under point 1.

3.) Whether the participant has another kind of atypical 'brain wiring' like synaesthesia, 'thinking in pictures instead of words', higher sensitivity to non-verbal cues etc.etc.:
    The same stuff I wrote under point 1.

4.) Whether the / one of the theriotype(s) is native to the country the participant is born in:
    I think it's just an interesting question whether the local wildlife has a significant influence on the frequencies of the theriotypes in a certain area. (As a German coyote this is especially interesting to me.)

5.) Whether the participant can somehow relate to mythological stories concerning his theriotype(s). It's true in my case, since I have many personality traits which are usually attributed to Coyote / the Trickster, so I would like to know if it's somehow 'common'.

6.) Cases of multiplicity:
    The same stuff I wrote under point 1. Actually, I have never heard of multiplicity before joining the therian community.

That's all I can think of at the moment, I'll edit this post later, if more things come to my mind.
    Last edited by Wilhelm; August 22nd, 2015 at 08:53 PM.
    'Whoever strives with all his might, that man we can redeem.' (Goethe)

If you need an example, here's a survey I did a bit ago. Unfortunately I can't find a way to show the "Other" answers, if anyone selected them.

Results: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1HgB.../viewanalytics

In retrospect, I probably should have done two separate surveys. One for non-Kin Vampires, and one for all Otherkin. The results are a little difficult to interpret, in my opinion, because I included both all together.
    Last edited by Amelia Nightside; August 23rd, 2015 at 04:25 PM.

Blog Entries

What Wilhelm said. Besides that, I would add gender identity and sexual orientation. It seems to me that many, if not a majority, of therians do not fall cleanly into the "male" or "female" gender binary. I wouldn't include birth gender; I think it's irrelevant.

Blog Entries

What statistical data we do have indicates that trans* identities are much more common among therians than they are among the general populace, so yeah, that's definitely a question to ask.

Would you be collecting more general demographics? Like age, nationality, education level, and so on?

When I did a survey, I had a question as to what people would do if they came across a member of their theriotype and a human, both of whom were injured, and could only save one due to bullshit reasons. Might be a good question to ask.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

I have signed up. Will I receive a email once the site is up?

Blog Entries

Want to let you who have responded that I'm still working on this. Just not a lot of time between a full time job and college. That said, I've looked at the survey link provided and what has been posted, very helpful. I want to collect any statistical data that may be relevant to the community, including demographic information.

If you signed up, thanks but no there is no confirmation email. Good idea though, will be adding one. What's currently there is more for testing purposes, will be wiping the database when I have the time to finish the site.

Whether someone regards their therianthropy as spiritual, psychological, some combination of the two, or maybe "other" though I can't think of what else someone might believe the origin is, might be interesting to see? As well as if they have more than one theriotype and if they're otherkin or fictionkin as well. Age of awakening is a good one, too.
    Spivak pronouns (e/em/eirs) please. They/them auxiliary.

Blog Entries

It would be interesting to see how many people wear accessories related to their kintypes/ theriotypes (tails, ears, horns, shirts, etc.). You could include a question about that.

A lot of people who make surveys like this also ask participants if their theriotype is their favorite animal as well.

Questions about frequency and type of shifting are also pretty common in therian/kin surveys.

You could also include questions about people's attitudes towards their own therianthropy. I think it would be interesting to know how many people are skeptical of their therianthropy, embarrassed by it, proud of it, neutral towards it, etc.

I'd be curious to see how many therians consider themselves animal- (or other-) hearted as well. I know it's not always been a widely used term but it's something that might be interesting to see.

Daemon forms vs theriotypes, if anyone is also a daemian, would be interesting to see, too, but not really necessary. ^^;; I don't even know how many people are even still daemians anymore, especially on this forum. I just had the thought since I mentioned animal-hearted folks.
    Spivak pronouns (e/em/eirs) please. They/them auxiliary.