Page 63 of 65 FirstFirst ... 13536162636465 LastLast

Thread: The Daily Groan (A thread to ease your pain) - The 3rd!

Quote Originally Posted by Koba View Post
    Constantly. Mine usually goes like " I don't want to live on this planet anymore." ( Now their trying to take over space D: )

I usually try to find something inspiring or look for 'beauty' to 'take the edge off'.

* Ow, my brain. x_X - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CCMP_(cryptography)
    That always helps, having your faith in humanity (whatever tiny amount is left) restored is always nice too c: Watching someone rescue a puppy or something usually makes me feel just a little better ^-^

Blog Entries

Might chill here for a bit for the first time consistently in...a year?
    A bit too much drama and politics elsewhere- and people I rather not see.
    Timber wolf therian-- Zhuardarian changeling-- horse hearted
    ~Being kin is a journey of finding yourself, losing yourself, searching and doing it all over again.~

Blog Entries

Nice to see you around, Vintage. WL definitely does still feel like sanctum away from more widespread "discourse" a lot of times.

I got banned from a forum 4 years ago for being "irrational" in regards to the election results. I'd like to know who is irrational now that all of my predictions have either happened or are about to happen. I was right and they laughed.

Quote Originally Posted by Berlin View Post
    I got banned from a forum 4 years ago for being "irrational" in regards to the election results. I'd like to know who is irrational now that all of my predictions have either happened or are about to happen. I was right and they laughed.
    I know your pain all to well.

----------------

My sleep schedule is so very fuct. I need a vacation.
    Last edited by Koba; September 30th, 2020 at 09:40 AM. Reason: *uneeded rant

Seeing that all the libs who previously called Trump a "fascist" are now praying and wishing him well is wild. Good to know they don't believe in a single thing they claim to believe in and it was all about looking good. This is part of why I don't like liberals. They care more about a fascist and it is very clear by how they're attacking anyone who dares to make jokes about Trump being sick and dying.
    Last edited by Berlin; October 2nd, 2020 at 08:30 PM.

Blog Entries

The performative aspects of modern politics are really terrible, yeah.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

The "fascism" thing has always kind of annoyed me. It seems like it's something exclusively invoked by people who are completely illiterate and ignorant of the actual history of fascism. Fascism was completely moribund by the end of World War 2 and died out completely with the deaths of the Portuguese and Spanish dictators Antonio Salazar and Francisco Franco nearly half a century ago.

In Weimar Germany, political murders were a literally daily occurrence. The kind of thing that happens once every few months in the United States and makes national headlines occurred multiple times a day in the late 20's and early 30's in Germany After the Nazi seizure of power, police and paramilitaries dragged tens of thousands of people off to cellars, basements, and other impromptu torture chambers and kill them outright. What's happening now is horrific and disgusting, but it is not really comparable to it.

Trump, while being a neanderthal, buffoon, and a reactionary piece of shit(in my opinion, at least!), really doesn't have much in common with fascist dictators like Hitler or Mussolini. If anything, his personal methods are sort of the opposite of how they approached things. A fascist dictator wouldn't be caught dead screaming insults on a place like Twitter. Their style was actually to isolate themselves from the public and cultivate an aura of detached mysticism, except for highly orchestrated and ritualized public appearances. It's a leader like Emmanuel Macron of France, not Boris Johnson or Trump, who share a lot of commonality to the methods of politics of Hitler and Mussolini. Macron is no fascist either.

I don't really think fascism is even possible today. Fascism as a movement came to be in an era where there was a real possibility of the working class taking power and overthrowing capitalists, and only took root in countries with a large population of peasants who had no kind of electricity, television, radio, or access to most modern media. Both Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy placed a huge importance on integrating the peasantry into consumerist media whether in the form of newspapers, movies, radios, plays, and other consumable media. In Germany, this was through the "Strength through Joy" organization, and in Italy, through Dopolavoro. The kind of ideal outlined by Joseph Goebbels as his vision of ideal fascist culture through the arts, movies, and so on has already been long realized by the industrialized liberal democracies. The integration of trade unions into the state, formally(as in countries like Sweden), or informally(as in the case of the United States) has also been a long accomplished feature of liberal democracy which was a major programmatic goal of fascism. Fascism is just superfluous today. Its "tasks" from the perspective of the ruling class have already been achieved, and it would be pointless and redundant today, as absurd and impossible as resurrecting Whiggism or Federalism.

Even if one were to set out specifically to recreate German Naziism or Italian Fascism, the inevitable result wouldn't be fascism, but something new and different entirely. This was itself how fascism began. The original fascists, the Action Française, did not claim to introduce anything new, but rather a reintroduction of the old social system of the feudal monarchy that was destroyed by the French Revolution. So it was too with the Spanish fascists. A popular slogan in Nationalist Spain was that the government of Francisco Franco was nothing other than "the Spain of Ferdinand and Isabella". When Charlemagne was crowned Emperor at Aachen, it was as the "renewer of the Roman Empire" despite the fact that it was long dead and gone and that his reign inaugurated medieval Europe. When the Americans created their constitution, they claimed to simply be continuing the tradition of ancient Greeks and medieval English constitutionalism. The Russian Revolution and its epigones was perhaps the only example in history where something new was introduced without falsely claiming to be the continuation of something long dead and gone.

Most people are aware of the phrase that history repeats itself, but less know that the real context of the phrase was in its opposite:

Hegel remarks somewhere that all great world-historic facts and personages appear, so to speak, twice. He forgot to add: the first time as tragedy, the second time as farce. Caussidière for Danton, Louis Blanc for Robespierre, the Montagne of 1848 to 1851 for the Montagne of 1793 to 1795, the nephew for the uncle. And the same caricature occurs in the circumstances of the second edition of the Eighteenth Brumaire.
    The first Napoleon conquered Europe and put an end to the old medieval society by the sword, liquidating Charlemagne's Empire,and the ancient republics of Venice and Ragusa; his successor, Napoleon III, was a hardened counter-revolutionary whose downfall heralded the Paris Commune.

If history is "repeating itself" with Trump as a new Hitler, it is exactly in this sense. Trump is Hitler in precisely the sense that he is Hitler's opposite: the culmination, not the negation, of liberal democracy. The poisonous seeds of 1776 have borne a bitter fruit indeed, not that it should come as a surprise to anyone who has ever contrasted the lofty ideal of "all men are created equally" with the reality of slavery and genocide. Things become only to the extent that they already are.

I really enjoyed reading this, thank you.

I'd say the one pioneering thing that still permeates modern culture from more Fascist times though, aside from a sundry of other technological developments, namely and most influentially, rocket engines. ( Arguable. ) Is the use of mass media as means of both control and ideological dissemination. Fascinating really*......

Blog Entries

I think you're describing fascism overly narrowly, TopBrass. As a political ideology fascism's "tasks" for the ruling class are irrelevant--regardless of what you think those tasks are, people do not really think that way. Oh, there may be a few fascist theorists who considered such things, but fascist ideology was not created by them even if its foundational texts were. Focusing too much on the historical context it had in the 1930s is a mistake as well; one may as well argue that liberal democracy can no longer exist because the traditional methods of colonialism are no longer possible. Yes, neo-Nazis cannot just bring back Nazi Germany even if they won power in Germany, it would end up looking different. That doesn't mean they don't believe in Nazism, though, or that the government can't follow Nazi ideology.

What's relevant is what fascists believed in--personally, I'd say that that's a militaristic ultrationalistic state united under a strong leader who suppresses even token political opposition, but I'm no professional scholar--and those sentiments are still around and perfectly capable of taking a dominant place in society again.
    Last edited by cheetah; October 3rd, 2020 at 11:19 AM.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier