Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2666747576

Thread: The Daily Groan (A thread to ease your pain) - The 3rd!

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse Fiain View Post
    I've been in a rather dark place lately. Usually I don't post things like this on the internet but from what I've seen, everybody here is kind and helpful.

[...]
    Really sorry to hear that you're going through a hard time.

My first reaction, with the experience I've had working as a professional at a hospital and receiving a medical education, is that something is VERY wrong. Passing out cold, from what I understand, is not at all typical of Grave's disease and suggests the potential for a more serious underlying condition. If you feel you aren't being taken seriously by your doctor, I would recommend trying to find another one until you find someone who takes you seriously. Having such dramatic symptoms, especially at your age, should be EXTREMELY alarming. Granted, I don't know your medical history, but with what you've said, this sounds very concerning.

I assume you're an American. Our healthcare system is really crap. A lot of hospitals, even before COVID, were understaffed and underfunded. Another issue is the whole lack of access to healthcare. It's not just time constraints, a lot of doctors are sensitive to financial considerations and your insurance coverage may influence the kind of care plan that they suggest. I usually give doctors the benefit of the doubt and see them as the final link in the chain. There are so many potential points of failure that can ruin things far before a doctor's competence or motives come into question. There are a lot of factors at play here, I don't know what most of them are in your situation so I don't feel comfortable speculating, but it's definitely a complicated issue.

I would suggest first trying to make your concerns more clear because having fainting spells should not be normal in your situation, and it is definitely not acceptable to just accept it as a normal state of affairs without any medical investigation into specifically what's causing it.

On another subject, I don't think you should fantasize about what could have been, hypothetically. Nothing good comes of that. Ruminating on the past and speculating how things could have been different is just a counter-productive exercise in sadness and despair, most of the time. Your best days are still ahead of you!

Even if you are permanently restricted to less physically strenuous activities, which seems far from a certainty at this point, there's still a whole world of possibilities as to what you can do with your life. My advice is to try to work with your doctors and sort this situation out, or find new ones who will. Plan for the future, but don't live for an empty abstraction either.. there's plenty here and now that makes life worthwhile. The Deviantart page you link to in your profile has some pretty good art. It's easy enough to see that you have talent beyond menial grunt work at your previous job.

Best of luck, and I hope you feel better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Koba View Post
    Sometimes you just have to take the small wins and leave it at that, fretting it ain't going to do much for you except push your stress level up even higher.
    I've been attempting to do this more often lately and I find that appreciating the little things in life has helped, just like you mentioned. Thank you for the advice, by the way. Especially with the doctors. I think I've found the one who will help me, but oftentimes I'm so exhausted after repeating myself to so many other doctors over the years that perhaps I've begun to leave important things out. I don't think I do, but I could be wrong. The doctor that I see now has done quite a bit to try and help, none of it working so far but I still have hope. Just have to keep positive.

Quote Originally Posted by TopBrass View Post
    My first reaction, with the experience I've had working as a professional at a hospital and receiving a medical education, is that something is VERY wrong. Passing out cold, from what I understand, is not at all typical of Grave's disease and suggests the potential for a more serious underlying condition. If you feel you aren't being taken seriously by your doctor, I would recommend trying to find another one until you find someone who takes you seriously. Having such dramatic symptoms, especially at your age, should be EXTREMELY alarming. Granted, I don't know your medical history, but with what you've said, this sounds very concerning.
    Well that doesn't sound like very good news, haha. Guess I shouldn't make light of it. I've had an MRI done and I've also visited a cardiologist since I last passed out, both of which said they couldn't find anything wrong. I do believe that there is another underlying issue, or issues. Since the best doctor I've had yet has told me that my symptom of major fatigue was "extremely uncommon" with Graves. She was surprised by the diagnosis. I actually had a sleep study done to look for Sleep Apnea, but the results didn't yield much since, embarrassingly, I wasn't really able to fall asleep during it. My follow up appointment for that isn't for another few months (despite the study being done last May, ouch) but I try to stay optimistic about it.

I assume you're an American. Our healthcare system is really crap. A lot of hospitals, even before COVID, were understaffed and underfunded.
    Yeah, it's unfortunate. I feel like I could have been helped a lot earlier on if this weren't the case. I have to have bloodwork done every three weeks to check my thyroid levels, last time I went I waited in the lobby for over two hours because there was a grand total of three staff members working there that day. All the more respect to those who power through it, both staff and patient.

On another subject, I don't think you should fantasize about what could have been, hypothetically. Nothing good comes of that. Ruminating on the past and speculating how things could have been different is just a counter-productive exercise in sadness and despair, most of the time. Your best days are still ahead of you!

Even if you are permanently restricted to less physically strenuous activities, which seems far from a certainty at this point, there's still a whole world of possibilities as to what you can do with your life. My advice is to try to work with your doctors and sort this situation out, or find new ones who will. Plan for the future, but don't live for an empty abstraction either.. there's plenty here and now that makes life worthwhile. The Deviantart page you link to in your profile has some pretty good art. It's easy enough to see that you have talent beyond menial grunt work at your previous job.

Best of luck, and I hope you feel better soon.
    Thank you, reading this really made me feel happy inside. You just made my day brighter. I appreciate the advice. I was once told that anxiety comes from dwelling too much on the future, and depression comes from dwelling too much on the past. I live by those words. And what you say reminds me of that. It's tough, not to dwell on the future or past when the present is so foggy in my eyes. But I try my best. Like I mentioned in reply to Koba up top, I've been trying to find joy in the small things in life, and that helps with grounding myself back into the here and now.

I haven't given up all hope yet. Not sure how I still have it in me, but I just keep doing the best I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse Fiain View Post

Well that doesn't sound like very good news, haha. Guess I shouldn't make light of it. I've had an MRI done and I've also visited a cardiologist since I last passed out, both of which said they couldn't find anything wrong. I do believe that there is another underlying issue, or issues. Since the best doctor I've had yet has told me that my symptom of major fatigue was "extremely uncommon" with Graves. She was surprised by the diagnosis. I actually had a sleep study done to look for Sleep Apnea, but the results didn't yield much since, embarrassingly, I wasn't really able to fall asleep during it. My follow up appointment for that isn't for another few months (despite the study being done last May, ouch) but I try to stay optimistic about it.
    The MRI was the big thing. If you've had that done, get bloodwork done regularly, and have seen a cardiologist, then I don't think there's any reason to be too worried. It rules out all the obvious potentially life threatening conditions I can think of. Mistakes are sometimes made, or something is missed, or some unexplained error happens; but if you've been going through the gamut of testing and have follow up appointments, then that really minimizes the chances of that happening. In my mind, this turns it from a "Definitely panic" into a "Take it seriously and follow things up, but don't stress out too much".

Thank you, reading this really made me feel happy inside. You just made my day brighter. I appreciate the advice. I was once told that anxiety comes from dwelling too much on the future, and depression comes from dwelling too much on the past. I live by those words. And what you say reminds me of that. It's tough, not to dwell on the future or past when the present is so foggy in my eyes. But I try my best. Like I mentioned in reply to Koba up top, I've been trying to find joy in the small things in life, and that helps with grounding myself back into the here and now.

I haven't given up all hope yet. Not sure how I still have it in me, but I just keep doing the best I can.
    No problem! It's definitely a complex issue that there's no easy solution to. Living entirely in the present isn't really feasible or responsible and can lead to hedonism or stagnation. It's trite to say, but I think there has to be some balance between the past, present, and future. I still remember when I was in high school, and it sure seems like it wasn't long ago. I really enjoyed my final year, so much so that I didn't really think much about what my choices(or lack of them) would lead to in the future. I didn't ruin my life or anything like that, but I think that if I had thought more seriously about the future at the time, I would have made better decisions and had a better life now. It's definitely impacted on how I see our education system. I don't think it really prepares us for real life at all or that the message that college or university is a silver bullet that will set you up for life that is commonly peddled in high school is true or helpful. That's a tangent, though.

I know one thing that helps me through stressful times is talking with friends. Doesn't really matter what it's about, just listening to a friend ramble on about their art, drawing techniques, or whatever random topics come up always makes me feel a lot better. Left in our head, it's pretty easy to get stuck in a feedback loop of negative thinking and emotions.

Maybe that works for you too, or something else will. I think you're approaching this the right way.

Blog Entries

I normally don't mind having to stay a little longer than the average eight hours at work, but over an hour is really pushing it. Especially when it's because the people I work for give incomplete instructions for something that has to be completed tomorrow and then corrects them at 4:45 PM.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Blog Entries

Spouse is out of surgery and it went pretty well, but the recovery has been horrific so far; he’s really gotten rough luck and I’ve been taking calls and running around town filling new prescriptions and gathering supplies, trying to do whatever I can to help.

It’s not fun seeing someone you love in such awful pain. And it certainly hasn’t lessened my sense of fear around surgeries! He has been so sick.

Neither of us have been able to get much rest.

Blog Entries

I've just been really tired for the past couple weeks, and I don't know why. I'm not getting different hours of sleep than I usually get, but come morning I'm just... exhausted. Makes it harder to rush to work in the morning. Doesn't seem to be linked with my depression; I've not been sadder or more melancholy than usual for that period. At least, not that entire period.

Maybe it's the change in time of sunset and sunrise?
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Blog Entries

Could be; the shorter daylight hours seem to mess a bit with my energy levels too. I don’t know if I’d be diagnosable with Seasonal Affective Disorder, especially since in more recent years I’ve both lived somewhere with more sun and found other ways to manage it. But I actually do find my energy and mood wane in the winter. It used to be worse.

Probably this weekend I’ll bust out my light box. Have you ever tried anything like that?

I had a bad pain day today. My neck is getting worse, and I have chronic pain or random pain in several places. This is on top of a severe visual impairment and mental illness. It's really hard f or me to function day to day, and I'm fucking frustrated. I try to stay positive, but there is a thing called toxic positivity, and it is very harmful. I don't want to be a complainer on the regular. It sets a very bad tone and makes things worse, but I want to be able to vent w/o being judged. Also, several people at my work are terrible gossips. Fewy of them, I say, fewy!

Not looking forward to the release of the movie Wolf in December even if therianthropy was a mental illness the trend of romantisizing an illness needs to stop

Blog Entries

Bizarrely it looks to have gotten positive reviews, at least by critics.

Already released in Canada, but it seems like it's gone pretty well unnoticed.