Page 64 of 66 FirstFirst ... 14546263646566 LastLast

Thread: The Daily Groan (A thread to ease your pain) - The 3rd!

Man it sucks trying to focus on something you don't give the slightest crap about. :/

*I had to add my silly thought too ~
    When people drag race, do they have to do it in costume?
    Last edited by Koba; October 3rd, 2020 at 10:00 PM.

I like how my somewhat estranged brother whom I've barley exchanged more than a few paragraphs of dialect with over the last ten years all of a sudden decides to have a kid with someone I wouldn't necessarily consider stable and has obviously had better things to do during this time than be concerned about my well being all of sudden expects us to have a relationship and for me to be an acting 'Uncle' for his new child. Me hinting I don't feel this is an appropriate expectation has labeled me an asshole. As usual. :/

Blog Entries

People mistake my kindness for weakness.

Blog Entries

Being nice is punk as fuck!

Blog Entries

What IS it with people who WANT to be offended?

I share photos and artwork on social media. I usually remember to credit the person behind the work. Usually. When I forget, people dogpile me. Sometimes it's hard to find an artist's name when their work has been shared thousands of times. Last night, I finally found an artist's name, and these randos were SO PISSED OFF that I'd forgotten to include their Twitter handle as well.

I seem to attract a disproportionate amount of hate from the furry community. I'm only peripheral to it! I appreciate some anthro art, I guess?

People need to calm down.

Why is it that people look at someone against both major parties and assume "centrism"? Makes no sense. I hate both of the bastards getting all of the attention. Also, received some vote shaming. Sorry not sorry, libs, but Green is closer to my values and makes far more sense. I can vote green and not be full of guilt for voting racist blue MAGA sex offender. It isn't a vote for anyone other than Green. I'm fully aware they won't win but this will help break the duopoly that shouldn't even exist as well as put more leftist ideals into the mainstream so. Of course, twitter (where this happened) is full of morons who think that vote shaming is the way to go. Doesn't work on me. I'm not ashamed.

I hope this shit is over soon.

Edit: How many liberals are going to be complacent and just pat themselves on the backs because Biden wins? They're all for show. All of it is for show. As a whole, they aren't genuine (one of them recently said slavery was better than Trump because the abuse enslaved people endured was by their owners). The leftists such as myself will still be doing shit, though.
    Last edited by Berlin; October 24th, 2020 at 01:22 AM.

Big brains think that if you oppose both Republicans and Democrats that you think the former are too far to the right and that the latter are too far to the left.

People are getting really hysterical over anyone who opposes the Democrats from the left. This is good. They know there's a crisis of legitimacy and that the Dems barely have a shred of credibility. And it's only going to get worse for them. They barely even pretend to have any solutions. Their only proposed solutions to anything are just going back to the pre-Trump status quo.

It's especially ridiculous considering who their candidate is. In 1982, Biden introduced a bill along with the infamous racist and segregationist Strom Thurmond that proposed eliminating parole, increased penalties for minor drug offenses, and made bail more difficult. It was so extreme that even Ronald Reagan had to veto it.

It's absolutely batshit insane that we had riots across the country only a few months ago over the issue of police brutality and racism in criminal justice, but the man who more than any living person in the country can be said to be the architect of it all is going virtually unchallenged. I don't believe the media has ever bothered mentioning it at all.

Uncle Joe gave us a few words of his own.... "“The truth is, every major crime bill since 1976 that’s come out of this Congress, every minor crime bill, has had the name of the Democratic senator from the state of Delaware: Joe Biden.”.

But yeah, good on you on rejecting that BS. The first time I voted was for the Green Party as well. I never bothered voting after that. Too many people fail to understand that voting is a form of political support. If you vote for a politician, then you are complicit in their policies. If one is going to vote for a party whose platform they do not believe in, then they may as well not vote at all.

There was a saying of Zizek in one of his older books that I rather liked on this subject.

Better to do nothing than to engage in localized acts whose ultimate function is to make the system run more smoothly. The threat today is not passivity, but pseudo-activity, the urge to "be active", to "participate", to mask the Nothingness of what goes on. People intervene all the time, "doing something"; academics participate in meaningless "debates," etc.; but the truly difficult thing is to step back, to withdraw from it all. Those in power often prefer even "critical" participation or a critical dialogue to silence, since to engage us in such a "dialogue" ensures that our ominous passivity is broken. The "Bartlebian act" I propose is violent precisely insofar as it entails ceasing this obsessive activity-in it, violence and non-violence overlap (non-violence appears as the highest violence), likewise activity and inactivity (the most radical thing is to do nothing).
    This phenomenon he is talking about is I think what underlies the hysteria displayed by some, especially Democrats it seems, that one must vote, no matter what, regardless of who or what one is voting for.

Unfortunately the one party system in America of the Democratic-Republican party is constitutionally enshrined. The first past the post system and federalism ensure that it is virtually impossible for any outsider to make any inroads. The constitution is also so antiquated and broken that this country's political system could not be meaningfully reformed even if the people running things thought it desirable.

It has been over half a century since the last major legislative reforms of meaning, LBJ's 'Great Society', and also over half a century since the last meaningful constitutional amendment, the 24th. This speaks for itself.

As a general mood, this verse from the bible, Ezekiel 26:12 seemed fitting:

They will plunder your wealth and loot your merchandise; they will break down your walls and demolish your fine houses and throw your stones, timber, and rubble into the sea. I will put an end to your noisy songs, and the music of your harps will be heard no more.

Have you seen the ads?

'It's not public who you vote for but it is public information if you vote.'

Basically a direct threat. 'If you don't vote, we will find you'

Beyond furious. Especially because " Unfortunately the one party system in America of the Democratic-Republican party is constitutionally enshrined. The first past the post system and federalism ensure that it is virtually impossible for any outsider to make any inroads. The constitution is also so antiquated and broken that this country's political system could not be meaningfully reformed even if the people running things thought it desirable "

..and most folks are too daft to understand that. Most days I feel like I'm surrounded by talking bobble heads, man it gives me a headache. :/

( Also, humorously and somewhat ironically, you have to pay to give up your US Citizenship. )
    Last edited by Koba; October 24th, 2020 at 08:12 PM.

Blog Entries

I certainly agree that anyone who thinks that loathing both parties is centrism (or a sign that you're a Russian troll, gotten that one plenty of times) has no idea what they speak of.

This being said, I would buy Zizek's quote more if it actually mattered that nearly half of potential voters do not vote. It does not. Politicians and pundits are happy to declare that they have mandates based on the percentages of who actually voted despite having absolute minorities. Individual politicians, and political parties, care if you vote, but that's only because they personally want to win elections. The system, as a whole? It chugs on regardless. If only the two candidates voted, they'd flip a coin or whatever and declare the winner that way, and the actual effect of any fussing over lack of a mandate would be the same as it would be if exactly 20% voted for Guy 1 and exactly 20% voted for Guy 2.

And not only do about half of all Americans not vote, most do not trust the USA's political institutions or politicians (with good reason). But the system doesn't care, and why should it? They don't do anything. People who don't vote, as far as elections are concerned, basically don't exist as anything but a potential resource for future elections (and people to blame if you lose).

We know that the system doesn't actually care whether or not it has public support or not. It didn't have most of the public actively supporting it for most of its history; for most of the USA's history women and blacks couldn't vote, and from the start people without property usually couldn't vote. Hell, if you want to go back really far, in ancient Athens no more than 30% or so of the city could vote. But every time, the people in charge could use the language of democracy to justify their authority, because exclusion from the voter rolls is taken as a sign that your opinion does not matter, and inactivity is taken as a sign that you do not care.

What actually threatened the authority of people in charge was mass riots. Strikes. Organizing. Actually doing something that doesn't neatly fit in the nice civil corridors of power that have been set up.

If you vote for a politician, then you are complicit in their policies. If one is going to vote for a party whose platform they do not believe in, then they may as well not vote at all.
    I actually don't agree with this either, but I'm brutally utilitarian in this manner and don't believe someone is complicit in reckless endangerment or murder if they pull the lever in the trolley problem. That doesn't mean that voting is necessarily useful (and thus worth doing)--anyone who votes for Joe Biden in Wyoming because they believe that Joe Biden needs their vote so they should suck up and vote for a rapist hasn't internalized what demographics and the electoral college mean--but I think it's what you do the rest of the year that determines whether you're complicit in their policies.

If you spend time organizing against the evil stuff that would've happened no matter who was in charge, you're not complicit in it.

If you don't spend time organizing against the evil stuff, but have the opportunity to, then you're complicit regardless of whether or not you voted for the bastard.
    Last edited by cheetah; October 25th, 2020 at 12:41 AM.
    "If you are worthy of his affection, a cat will be your friend but never your slave. He keeps his free will though he loves, and will not do for you what he thinks unreasonable; but if he once gives himself to you, it is with absolute confidence and fidelity of affection." -Theophile Gautier

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    I actually don't agree with this either, but I'm brutally utilitarian in this manner and don't believe someone is complicit in reckless endangerment or murder if they pull the lever in the trolley problem.
    Every time someone mentions the Trolley Problem. This scene pops into my head.

( PG-13 ishy so..... )